Start by marking “Curious George Goes to the Hospital” as Want to Read:
Curious George Goes to the Hospital

Curious George Goes to the Hospital (Curious George Original Adventures)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  25,597 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Readers learn all about the hospital as George goes in for an operation to remove a puzzle piece he has eaten.
Published November 28th 1973 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Goes to the Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Goes to the Hospital

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for three-year-old children
53rd out of 311 books — 242 voters
Curious George by H.A. ReyThe Origin of Species by Charles DarwinPlanet of the Apes by Pierre BoulleGorillas in the Mist by Dian FosseyThe Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
Monkey Business
108th out of 203 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

David Simmer II
Jan 07, 2013 David Simmer II rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Humanity
Recommended to David by: God
Shelves: davesfavorites
After re-reading "Curious George Goes to the Hospital" I am convinced that it is the peak of literary perfection, unmatched by any other human accomplishment. The entire spectrum of drama is fully represented in a tale so filled with wonder and delight as to make all other books redundant. The fact that the story's wealth of knowledge and inspiration is so remarkably accessible to persons of most any age is surely a testament to the unarguable brilliance of Margret & H.A. Rey. I loathe to at ...more
David Abrams
It's impossible to understate the importance of this book in my life. I first read it when I was seven. Within a few months *I* would be going to the hospital for an emergency tonsilectomy. During my recovery, George was there with me in the hospital room the entire time. I read the pages until I had every nuance of the illustrations memorized. This book comforted me and, for one of the first times, broadened me beyond my grade-school world. There were others out there who had gone through simil ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Nov 05, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: curious girls and boys
Oh, no! Curious George swallows a piece of his puzzle, and doesn't feel so good. Off to the hospital he goes, where he finds puppets to play with, and wheelchairs to race down the halls. Another classic George story!
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the last of the original Curious George books by Margret and H.A. Rey. In it, George is home alone when a package arrives at the door. Since the man with the yellow hat is away, George opens the package, and everlastingly curious, swallows one of the puzzle pieces that he finds inside. When his stomach begins to hurt, the man with the yellow hat checks him into the hospital children's ward to have it removed. There he meets many children, among them the frightened and sad Betsy. In the p ...more
Neha Amin
Review: I think Curious George is a wonderful series for young children.In this particular story, George goes to the hospital and getting surgery. This story teaches children about the hospital and the different people that work there.

Learning Experience: In small groups, the children will be given different materials and will be told to act out the story by pretending to be all the people that are at the hospital. For example, one children can play the patient, another can play the doctor, anot
Christina Deroche
This is a great book. It teaches children a lot and helps them understand what doctors use. Curious George books were my favorite as a child.

L.E. Bring in things that doctors use and describe and demonstrate how they are used. An otoscope is used to look in your ears, nose, mouth. May need a scalpel for many reasons. Aspirin to help with pain. Stethoscope is used to listen to how you breathe and heart beet.

Heather Johnson
I have two favorite books... This is one of them. It's one of the original Margaret and H.A. Ray books (don't let many of the other Curious George books fool you... Most are BASED on the original CG). Anyway, this book is simple and doesn't have too many moving parts like some of the other original stories, which I appreciate, especially for children.

The mischief George gets into is really CUTE, and consistently provokes a smile. The ending, of course, is heartwarming.

LOVE this book to puzzle
Joan
This was the "go-to" book for years when a patron said she had a child going into the hospital and wanted something reassuring to read to the kid. Actually, it might still be the book I would first suggest. It is outdated though in several ways, so I would probably have to look up more recent authors who have this sort of book to hand to parents. But, it still is utterly delightful!
Kaethe
The moral of the story is that if you swallow things which are not food you get to go to the hospital and have all kinds of fun. Hospitals aren't good for wheelchair races, no matter what the authors of this book imply. What do they know? They can't tell the difference between a monkey and an ape. I blame the man in the ominous yellow hat for everything.
Deja
Review: I love all the series of Curious George. I choose this book because kids are always scared to go to the doctor when they get hurt. It tells you that the hospital is not a scary place but a place where you can get well. I love the visual aspect on the monkey looks like a animal instead of guessing what it might be.

Learning Experience: The experience would be on going to the doctor the health reason on why we should. I would even have a little station in dramatic play on pretend being the
Amber
I have always enjoyed reading curious george books since i was a kid. I had never read this one though, and am glad i got the chance. this is an excellent book to prepare young children for hospital visits, or even just a doctors visit. The pictures in the book were very detailed and told the story all in themselves. It is also a good book to teach children that they should always listen, and never put things in their mouths that do not belong.

Learning extension- Teacher will bring in a box of i
Liliana Jaramillo

George again by his curiosity of gets into trouble but in the end always ends up doing the things right. A little longer and the colors are not very varied. Small letters.

L.E .Made different puzzles

Genre:: Health
Emily Bernd
I love the Curious George series. They are funny and usually teach a great lesson and also give a lot of opportunities for students to make connections of his actions or places he goes.
Rachel Dalton
I love the Curious George books. This is one of the books in the Curious George set I recently received. I will enjoy having these in my classroom simply as fun reads.
Vanessa
read as a child I used to love curious George such a cute book (: the author really is a good children's writer.
Lindsey Adams
Margaret and H.A. Rey are the wonderful author and illustrators of the famous Curious George books. Curious George Goes to the Hospital is a fun and energetic story about George who opens the door when someone leaves a package. The man in the yellow hat isnt there and George cannot resist his curiosity--he eats a puzzle piece from the package. He is taken to the hospital where he meets a little girl who is sad. He does all that he can to cheer her up, even if that means wreaking havoc in the hos ...more
Wendy Brigido
I loved all Curious George's books. I loved knowing a monkey was as curious as me when I was small.
Kerrikoala
Better than the other, earlier stories. He's actually treated quite well in this story!
Upstatemamma
This one is my favorite of the Curious George series. My son seems to like this one best. It is so cute and sweet. Plus, George really goes through something. I think my son might like it so much because he has had a trip to the hospital too. I think he relates to george and how George feels while he is in the hospital. I mean obviously, my son did not stay in the hospital overnight without us, but he did go into surgery by himself. So, George gets to have this experience and he deals with it in ...more
Katie
May 30, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
IIIIII
Alexa David
Curious George Goes to the Hospital is about a trip that Curious George takes the hospital after swallowing a puzzle piece. After the puzzle piece is removed, he goes onto have fun eating ice cream with other children in the hospital. Curious George Goes to the Hospital would be a beneficial book to implement into middle level elementary as a lesson on geography and safety. Since the book is about going to the hospital, have students create a map showing the way from the school to the hospital.
Charles
The really great thing about Curious George books is kids really love Curious George. I have never read curious George to a group without a chorus of laughter, children and adults. Margret Rey finds her way into every Child's heart with each smile George brings. Children learn about unconditional love from The man with the yellow hat. They also learn that every problem no matter how large can be solved and forgiven.
Heather
36 months - I picked this up at the thrift store for 50 cents. This is one of the longer original stories. We've had so many conversations about putting things in the mouth, ears and nose that doesn't belong there this was a good reminder of why this is a "no no". My daughter really doesn't like to go to the doctor so this book hopefully, maybe, too a bit of the scariness away. We'll find out next week.
Dolly
Oct 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 1970s, childrens
I remember reading this book over and over again when I was young. The narrative is somewhat dramatic and I can imagine that it could help alleviate a child who is afraid of the doctor or going to the hospital. The story was one of my favorites in the Curious George series and I remember this book with great fondness.
Brian Rabourn
I read this book when I was five years old. I went to the hospital for an operation. The story is almost the only thing I remember from the experience, except for the presence of the nuns (It was St. Mary's Hospital) and the net they had to throw over the "crib" two beds over, to keep the kid from climbing out. Warm feeling when I think of the book.
HeavyReader
Jun 25, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy watching monkeys suffer
This book makes me really sad. Poor George breaks his leg and has to go to the hospital for an operation. Will someone please take this monkey back to the jungle! He shouldn't be in the city, or goodness gracious, the zoo. He needs to be in the jungle!

(I love the illustration of George on drugs. Dizzy!)
Shaley Dunn
I really liked this book. I thought it faced a lot of differnt things you encounter while you are at the hospital. The only thing I didnt like about it was it is too long for a younger child. I read it to a little girl in kindergarden and she was tried of listening by the middle of the book.
Chelsey
My favorite Curious George book!! I particularly like the one illustration where George eats the puzzle piece. When I was little, this book made me think that going to the hospital would be a really cool thing to do. Sadly - or maybe not so sadly? - I didn't get that experience!
April
Used for my Puzzle-themed storyhour class. Curious George swallows a puzzle piece and goes to the hospital. The story was too long and had to be abridged to read during storyhour. Still the kids love Curious George and liked the story.
Nicole
This was my sister's book, who is older than me. This is the first long book he will sit through, and we have read it about 50 times in the last two weeks. It's the first thing he asks for when he gets up, and he wants to sleep with it.
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • Babar the King
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...
The Complete Adventures of Curious George Curious George Visits the Library Curious George Visits the Zoo Curious George Flies a Kite Curious George Makes Pancakes