Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Schepselen van licht en donker” as Want to Read:
Schepselen van licht en donker
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Schepselen van licht en donker

by
3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  3,191 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Het ultieme conflict, tussen Osiris, meester van leven en Anubis, meester van Dood.

Zijn naam is hem ontstolen. De afgelopen 1000 jaar was hij dood, maar nu leidt hij de legioenen der doden op bevel van zijn meester...
Paperback, 178 pages
Published 1980 by Het Spectrum (first published July 1969)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Schepselen van licht en donker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schepselen van licht en donker

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Stephen
Zelazny’s stories often leave me scratching my MENTAL JUNK searching for a new means to describe his impressive creative chops. Well, after several brain limbering exercises, I came up with COSMICaweTASTIC SUPERBitude to describe this lesser known but amazing piece. I'm not sure exactly what it means but I think it's something positive.

This is certainly one of Zelazny’s more creative works, which is really saying something given his penchant to WTF his reader with bizarre and unique imagery.
Photobucket

As
...more
Manny
May 18, 2010 Manny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Roger Zelazny scored a hit with Lord of Light, a moving SF retelling of Hindu and Buddhist myth. I get the feeling that he thought he should do it again, but that's usually a recipe for disaster. Home Alone is a surprisingly good comedy. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York hovers between dull and embarrassing.

Well, this is Zelazny's Home Alone 2. He's decided to do Egyptian mythology instead of Hindu/Buddhist, but none of the symbols and images gel, there's no plot to speak of, and most of the time i
...more
Negativni
"On hoda po plaži. Njegovi tragovi počinju sedam koraka iza njega. Visoko nad glavom visi mu more."

Nedavno sam čitao dijalog N. Gaimana i K. Ishiguroa o žanrovima i pisanju. Tu su se između ostaloga dotakli i borbi mačevima, Gaiman je komentirao kako su borbe u The Buried Giantu, najnovijem Ishigurovom romanu, kratke i potpuna suprotnost recimo onima u Sword and Sorcery podžanru fantastike gdje likovi neprestano dobacuju dosjetke jedan drugome između udaraca mačem i to traje i po stranicu dvije.
...more
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this in Sep09, armed with some extra knowledge gleaned from two of the 6 book collected works of his. In them, he explains that he wrote this novel as an exercise for himself & never expected to publish it. He was asked for it & was surprised that it did so well.

He said he threw everything he had at this novel, in no particular order. It is an amalgamation of styles, mythologies, SF & Fantasy. Somehow, it really works. That's as amazing as is my fascination for the book, re
...more
Mark
Jun 03, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zelazny was one of the cleverest of the SF writers emergiing from the 1960s, in the stew of New Wave, and also one of the gutsiest. "Creatures of Light and Darkness" is his riff on Egyptian mythology, set in a "future" wherein the ancient conflicts of the various gods---Anubis, Osiris, Set, Thoth, Isis, and Typhon---are once more met in an ageless attempt to establish who's in charge.

But wait! It's not quite that simple. Set the Destroyer is not just the Egyptian god, but partly Vishnu, who is e
...more
Петър Панчев
Странните богове на Зелазни
Цялото ревю тук: http://knijenpetar.blogspot.com/2015/...

Не си го спомням такъв Зелазни, но сигурно защото не съм обърнал достатъчно внимание точно на тази книга, или пък просто сега го възприемам по друг начин, повече от двайсет години след прочитането на последното негово творение. Някак си ми стана мъчно – дали заради митичното му име като писател или заради някакъв „друг акъл“ от онова време, но Създанията на Зелазни не ми повлияха много добре. Този микс от фантас
...more
Lyn
Feb 11, 2015 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1968 – Roger Zelazney picks up the phone and is greeted by his agent, Danny Rose.

Danny: Rog, baby, just got off the phone with my pal Murray at Doubleday, you know how much they love you at Doubleday.

Roger: Really, they love me at Doubleday?

Danny: What? Are you kidding me? Do – do they love you at Doubleday? Do they love you? Roger, I’m telling you they love you, you can do no wrong over there, trust me.

Roger: OK, wow far out.

Danny: They want you to do something unique, Roger, you’ve got to sell
...more
Иван Величков
Самият Зелазни казва, че е писал романа като упражнение и никога не е смятал да го публикува. Точно за това е една от любимите ми негови книги, заедно с „Хронобандити” и „Да умреш в Италбар”.
Изказванията, че „Създания от светлина и мрак” е същото като „Господарят на светлината”, само че с египетски богове е все едно да кажеш, че „Магбет” е същото като „Хамлет”, само че с шотландци.
Зелазни заплита брутално визуална, объркана история, на базата на широките си познания за египетската митология, кат
...more
Cécile C.
Sep 11, 2009 Cécile C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nô and Kabuki lovers
Shelves: science-fiction
Between poetry, SF and acid trip... The plot is somewhat hard to follow, but you can very well read the book without that.

The story works like a kind of impressionist painting, where every short chapter acts as an image rather than a plot fragment. We never learn whose point of view it is and the heroes remain mysterious. As for the plot, it is quite different from the typical SF plot that tries to be extra coherent to compensate for the lack of realism of the setting. Here the characters have
...more
Derek
This was amazing. At first, the disjointed narrative stream us kinda jarring, but Whoa! Zelazny outdoes himself with his genius. I'm sure in the hands of a lesser writer, this book would've come off utterly short of the marvel it actually is.
This was a splendid read, full of vigor and imagination. A work of art.
Alazzar
Mar 16, 2014 Alazzar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it were legal for novels to participate in Olympic track & field events (stay with me here, I’m going somewhere with this), Creatures of Light and Darkness would win just about anything involving speed. This book is a fast read. Granted, it’s short—only 199 pages—but it’s not the small size of this book that makes it so quick—the blazing pace and blurring page-turns are what put this masterpiece of Egyptian mythology ahead of the pack.

Egyptian mythology—yeah. If you don’t know anything ab
...more
Swiderskaya
Jul 21, 2013 Swiderskaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great mix of science, fantasy and mythology from Robert Zelazny - interesting, involute and paradoxical experiment - 'quintessence of chthonic creatures'.
It's not my first Zelazny's book, so I got used to his bizarre way of writing. The plot is average, but sometimes hard to follow. The is no introduction, you get straight into action. The dialogue between Anubis and Wakim about life and death is very philosophical. Interesting concept of the universe, consisting of The House of Life, T
...more
Erik Graff
Jul 18, 2012 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Encountering this book in college got me so interested in Zelazny, then a new writer, that I later went and read, to little good effect, his entire first Amber series. Other than being a good story, the novel works as a refresher course in ancient Egyptian religion and feeds my own interest in making sense out of religion in general. It probably contributed to my switching from a history to a religion major or, at least, its reading was symptomatic ot this trend.
Alexander Popov
Nov 02, 2013 Alexander Popov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A version in English is available here.

Ревюто е публикувано за пръв път в онлайн списание "ShadowDance"

Да категоризираш Създания от светлина и мрак на Зелазни е трудна работа. Жанрово, формално, стилистично, всякак. Текстът на пръв (а и на втори) поглед е някак разхвърлян, сякаш под въздействието минимум на леки наркотици. Самият текст при това, ако мога да си позволя такава тежка персонификация; не авторът, макар че съм чувал някакви фенски легенди как Зелазни го бил писал в подобно състояние.

С
...more
Krum Ganev
Oct 09, 2016 Krum Ganev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible.
Alytha
Jan 08, 2012 Alytha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
sologdin
Sep 09, 2016 sologdin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nutshell: standard Z mess with immortals & incomprehensible occurrences.

Volume is sealed by a dedication to Delany, and the text is reminiscent of The Einstein Intersection.

Concerned with the Heliopolitan Ennead: Isis, Osiris & their son Horus; Set & Nephthys; Anubis (offspring of Osiris & Nephthys), and Thoth (son of Set in some variants). Greek Typhon shows up; in Kemetic, Typhon is equated to Seth, but here Typhon is Apophis, possessing qualities of the Abyss (155). Some other
...more
Katri Mei Lightdeth
Това е първата ми среща с Роджър Зелазни след няколко книги от Хрониките на Амбър. Не съм прочела цялата поредица, но бях останала с много добро впечатление.

После открих тази - "Създания от светлина и мрат" (ИК"Бард", 2015) - митология, наука, фентъзи и фантастика, нещо нечувано, нещо шокиращо, нещо ужасяващо...в едно. Тук, в тези двеста и няколко страници, които могат да побъркат някой нестабилен читателски ум.

Зелазни пише странно, необяснимо, хаотично и объркващо, но и така пленително, така
...more
Neale
‘Creatures of Light & Darkness’ is surely the most quintessentially Zelaznian of all Roger Zelazny’s books, almost to the point of self-parody. It is likely the only Egyptological science-fiction book to conclude with a chapter-length chamber verse-drama - shades of Thomas Lovell Beddoes...

Apparently Zelazny intended it as an ‘exercise’, not for publication - it certainly has an unfinished and experimental feel - and was only convinced to publish at the instigation of fellow-fantasist Samuel
...more
Yune
Dec 14, 2008 Yune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Intensely weird. A not-unfamiliar theme of Zelazny's: the powerful borrowing names from a pantheon (in this case, Ancient Egyptian) and striving against each other among worlds. I was warned that this was comparable to Lord of Light, but more experimental. It's indeed less cohesive as a work, but there's a breeziness that makes it more fun, I think.

Deftly written, as is his wont, for all that elements of plot and setting are mosaic-like at times.

"'Human arms are weak,' says Anubis. 'Let these be
...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I notice this one has a legion of followers. Let me be one of the first to disagree. I read this one some time ago and as a rule I like Zelazny. This book however left me cold. There is an odd distant even, patchy feel to it for me. I didn't care for the story nor it's execution. Still, there are a lot who like it so make up your own mind. I may re-read it at some later date, just because it seems so popular with so many.
Michael
Dec 02, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot of authors could pull this off but I think Zelazny did. The setting is some distant future where about 300 individuals from a multiworld, multicivilization section of the universe have attained godlike powers over matter, time, space, life and death. There is a power struggle among about a half dozen of these beings. The story is told in "heightened" poetic language but the characters are ordinary joes. There is humor and the writing is beautiful. You have to give it a chance though as ...more
bkwurm
Nov 22, 2016 bkwurm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very old book that is now nearly impossible to find.

The worlds are governed by Osiris and Anubis, rulers of the Houses of Life and Death. The other houses have long been overthrown, and their masters are either dead, in exile or in hiding. After a thousand years of training, Anubis sends another assassin to hunt down and kill his and Osiris’ former master. Osiris, fearing that if Anubis' servant is successful, that Anubis would gain the support of all their former masters' other servant
...more
Vojtěch
Jan 01, 2017 Vojtěch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Zprvu jsem si říkal, co dostanu. Nejdřív to vypadalo na podivné fantasy s filosofickým přesahem, co mi vystřelí svojí hloubkou mozek z hlavy. Pak přišel podivný zlom a příběh upadl do podivné hibernace, který mi nic neříkal, ani konec to nezachránil.
Dmitry Demidov
Nov 21, 2016 Dmitry Demidov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
После неудачного опыта с Тедом Чангом захотелось проверенной фантастики почитать. И пусть это все же не фантастика, а, скорее фэнтези - с магией, древнеегипетскими богами и прочим, но все же прекрасное чтение.
Moira
13.11.2016 - 3,5*
Za příběh 3*. Za fantazii 4,5*. Překladatelský oříšek si zaslouží plno plusových bodíků. A za Prince Který Byl Tisícem 5*. Žába... .)
Peter
Dec 02, 2016 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It breaks my heart to give a Zelazny novel such a low score, but this really felt like an unsuccessful experiment.
Iva S.
Oct 25, 2016 Iva S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a psychedelic maze of a book! Highly enjoyable trip. I'm confused.
Loreley
3.5 გაფლანგულ პოტენციალში :(
როგორც ვიცი ზელაზნი საერთოდ არ აპირებდა ამის გამოქვეყნებას და ეტყობა რომ არაა ბოლომდე დასრულებული და კარგად შეკრული წიგნი. პირველი ნახევარი განსაკუთრებით ცუდად იკითხებოდა (ან მიჩვევა გამიჭირდა) მაგრამ ბოლოში ამოქაჩა შედარებით.
Lord of Light-თან ვერ მოვა ახლოს ნამდვილად
Brian
Oct 13, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, but at the same time a bit confusing. Many characters had multiple names and occasionally the dialogue would have 3 people talking and it was difficult to discern who was saying what.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 14 Nov 06, 2015 05:28PM  
Roger Zelazny: Creatures of Light and Darkness 10 45 Apr 30, 2010 10:13AM  
  • Mission To The Stars
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • Empire Star
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • A Touch of Strange
  • Born with the Dead
  • Герой должен быть один (Ахейский цикл, #1)
  • The Blood Red Game
  • Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains (Children of the Star, #2)
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • Sunfall
  • The Shockwave Rider
  • Norstrilia
  • An Old Captivity
  • The Broken Sword
3619
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...

Share This Book



“A totally nondenominational prayer: Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that I be forgiven for anything I may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness.  Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which I may be eligible after the destruction of my body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.” 78 likes
“If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs.” 10 likes
More quotes…