Start by marking “Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators” as Want to Read:
Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators

Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators

Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for AnimatorsCapture the force in your life drawing subjects with this practical guide to dynamic drawing techniques - packed with superb, powerfully drawn examples that show you how to: * Bring your work to life with rhythmic drawing techniques * Create appealing and dynamic poses in your drawings* Experience the figure's energy in three dimens ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Focal Press

To ask other readers questions about Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Force

Parka
Dec 05, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Here's a very useful book not just for animators, but for anyone who do character drawings. It's called Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators, authored by Michael D. Mattesi.

First of all, this is a book for intermediate and advanced artists. Foundational knowledge of anatomy is required to fully appreciate and follow along with the lessons.

This book is about creating realistic poses for life drawing. Examples show how forces inside the body and outside (grav
Dooz
Feb 23, 2016 Dooz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh, this book. It really was a game-changer for my drawing. Academic figure drawing is very stiff. It took a book about animation to bring out the natural beauty and flow of the human figure. Animation has a tendency to be poo-poo'd as being a lesser art. I disagree - animators have the difficult job of making a complex machine like the human body visually interesting without the luxury of detail. There are none better qualified than they to point out how to portray motion in the figure. ...more
Void lon iXaarii
Mar 19, 2014 Void lon iXaarii rated it liked it
very cool drawings and probably great way to think for some people but i just can't seem to wrap my mind about the multiple uses and meanings of the used word "force"/can't turn it into something my brain can use as I just get confused when it sometimes means a force like in physics/gravity, other times directionality and other times energy and "rhythm" type stuff.
Clint
Jan 24, 2014 Clint rated it it was amazing
Just the book I was looking for! I wanted an instructional-type book that didn't start off with blind-contour drawing and lead into "using a grid." This is not an art book for someone who wants to learn to draw; this is a book for someone who wants to learn to draw better. Coming from an animation background, Mattesi pushes some ideas I really like that focus on making the drawing come alive. His approach is less "draw what you see," and more "understand what you see and give it an opinion." I b ...more
Patricia
Jan 19, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animation
eddig a legjobb/leghasznosabb rajzolós könyv, amit találtam, bár inkább haladóknak szól, akik nagyon tudják az anatómiát, és már gyakorlottak a life-drawing-ban. persze kezdők is tudnak belőle hasznosítani 1-2 dolgot, ha meg valaki olyannal akar foglalkozni, amihez kicsit is kell tudni rajzolni, akkor ez kötelező könyv.
M0rningstar
Jun 12, 2015 M0rningstar rated it really liked it
The text can be vague and rambling, but it's still a worthwhile read. Works best if at least somewhat familiar with anatomy.
Ian
Jan 10, 2010 Ian rated it liked it
Took a short 4-class teaser from the author. Thought it was interesting but I prefer to draw from gesture/silhouette and found this a little idealistic at times.
Toby
Jul 07, 2008 Toby rated it it was amazing
changed my life... Seriously this book opened my eyes to push my drawings and see things I didn't before while drawing. The Force has had a HUGE influence on me!
Greg Tatum
Nov 13, 2010 Greg Tatum rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Great ideas on figure drawing. I think it was worth it just for his advocacy of china marker on newsprint which is amazing.
Ahmed Gamal
Aug 04, 2012 Ahmed Gamal rated it it was amazing
very innovative approach to understand drawing.
it teaches you how to bring life to your drawings
Safoura
Excellent book
Molina
Jan 20, 2011 Molina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Dana Badiu
Dana Badiu rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Jessica G.
Jessica G. marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Angel
Angel rated it really liked it
Elijah Demena
Elijah Demena rated it it was amazing
Bot Net
Bot Net rated it did not like it
Cachita Paredes Vasquez
Cachita Paredes Vasquez marked it as to-read
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Andreas Crescero
Andreas Crescero is currently reading it
VARTIKA
VARTIKA rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Ruben Salas
Ruben Salas rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Jhefry Salgado Londoño
Jhefry Salgado Londoño rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Munirah
Munirah marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Pieter
Pieter rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2016
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
ADAM
ADAM marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Cartoon Animation
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
  • Character Mentor: Learn by Example to Use Expressions, Poses, and Staging to Bring Your Characters to Life
  • Creative Illustration
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Timing for Animation
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery: Solutions for Drawing the Clothed Figure
  • Vilppu Drawing Manual
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators

“It is easy to obtain mediocrity and challenging to stare into the visage of splendor.” 1 likes
“Create a drawing that expresses your experience.” 1 likes