Start by marking “Growing a Business” as Want to Read:
Growing a Business

Growing a Business

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Nearly everyone harbors a secret dream of starting or owning a business. In fact, 1,000,000 businesses start in the United States every year. Many of them fail, but enough succeed so that small businesses are now adding millions of jobs to the economy at the same time that the Fortune 500 companies are actually losing jobs.
Paul Hawken -- entrepreneur and best-selling aut
Published October 15th 1988 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Growing a Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing a Business

Roland
When I decided to start my own business, I have bought a couple of books on starting a small business.
I did not expect that reading books will solve all my problems, but I have figured that they will answer some questions, and give some ideas.

Growing a business was so far my favourite.
Plain language, no jargon, no buzzwords, simple examples.
The fact that it was first published in 1987 should not scare you away. The ideas and concepts are so basic and so eternal that time will hardly change them
Emma
I found a lot of what he writes to be obvious (but maybe it's not to other people).

If you think that running a business is impossibly complicated or something you could never do, or that you have to have tons of capital to start one, reading this will put those kinds of fallacies in perspective.

Yes, you can do it. People who build businesses are just people, they don't have special powers. They just want to build a business and learn what they need to know to do it. You don't need tons of money
Cathy
Great book - my fave outakes:

The innovative mind is nurtured by experience

Being a good human being is good business

Entreprenurial ideas spring from a deep immersion in some occupation, hobby, or other pursuit. Spurred by something missing in the worls, the entreprenuer begins to think about and envision a product or service, or a change in the existing product or service. The entrepreneur is often the first one to spot the opening, and if things work out that person will have a successful busine
Lamec Mariita
Such an amazing book. It's a must read if you are starting a small business. It will help you build value and profitability. The book has marvelous insights made all the better because its author is the owner of a well-known business, Smith & Hawken. By focusing on the inner business, Hawken helps any business person create an enterprise that is ideally suited to its owner. The author ,Mr. Hawken, gives some great advice and makes it seem like anyone can succeed in business if they treat peo ...more
Tom
This book was written in 1987 but has aged pretty well. I got it mainly for the section on bootstrapping a business vs funding it in other ways and I did like his perspective on this subject very much. However, he's obviously taken much of this book from his own experiences (with two companies) over a number of years. They both seem to be companies approaching wealthy customers with high end service and products. Not every business is going to be this way.

Well, first off Paul Hawken seems like a great guy - I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with him. That being said, I wasn't able to really get into this book (although I did appreciate it's humor). I might have enjoyed it more if I had picked it up myself, but instead it was recommended work-related reading. While most of the principles he discusses are fairly universal, a lot are also fairly obvious or things I've picked up elsewhere and it is completely outdated as far as technology ...more
Sonja
Wow, lots of others have felt as clueless and discombobulated starting a new business as I did.

Wish I'd known about this book when Mom and I started Friends Fabric Art
...late is better than never!
Brian
Sort of a how-to book for someone who owns a small business and wants to make it grow larger. Well written, with good anecdotes and solid advice about what works and what doesn't. Reading books like this make me want to run out and start a business.
Elizabeth Lund
A pleasant, reassuring, common-sense book about "small" business (anything from a small grocery store to Patagonia) with some interesting ideas. Focuses more on general approaches than specific recommendations, and has aged fairly well.
Robert King
Great book. Paul breathes life into a subject that all too often is boring a dull. All in all a great down to earth look at business and how to set your self up for a win in both life and business.
srutherford81
Great account of how to start and grow a business intelligently, slowly and organically.

The do's and dont's in plain language. No business school jargon or hard to read advise.
Nick
Great book about the ethics and framework around running a successful business. Loved the definition of "tradeskill" and the 5/15 reports and Go-For-Brokes.
Carol Palmer
Interesting read, but it was written before the internet so much of the material is out of date.
Todd
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com
Eric Lawson
Was looking for a book about starting my own business. Have read several but when I began reading this book I was amazed at what Paul Hawken realized about business back in 1987 when he wrote this book. The principals he lived by were way ahead of his time. His thoughts regarding employee empowerment, being completely customer-focused and working with your employees versus managing them make complete sense. When I start my business I am re-reading this book as it is a template for starting out s ...more
Curtismchale
This is an ‘older’ book which doesn’t even come in a digital format. I actually didn’t realize this and ordered it an a spree of book ordering only to forget about it and then get a paperback book from Amazon.

Unfortunately much of the time physical books end up sitting on my shelf unread due to the fact I can’t easily carry them everywhere with me as I can a Kindle book. I already carry lots of stuff while bike commuting to my office so adding a book to the mix doesn’t happen.

I am so happy that
George Bremner
Great book on starting business. The philosophy and voice are straight forward and honest. A definite must read if you are thinking about taking the plunge.

Roger Rojas
Paul Hawken's gives you plenty of great advice when starting a business. Although it's primarily a motivatonal tool, he gives you plenty of useful tips to put into action. It would have been great if he went into more detail about writing the business plan, but other than that, great book!
Carlos Velasco
Contains timeless business principles on how a business should be conducted.
Andrea Garfield
Lots of good insights in this classic book. I'm about due for another read.
John
I haven't read many business books yet, but this is the one by far, so far.
Matt
Just re-read this and really enjoyed it.
Cheri
Inspirational in starting my own business...
Brian Stewart
The best book on business I have ever read.
Jay
Jan 08, 2012 Jay marked it as to-read
Shelves: biz-books
time 100
Jeff Shoup
Jeff Shoup marked it as to-read
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Moments of Truth
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works
  • Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett And I Built Our Company
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • American Steel
The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability Natural Capitalism Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming The Magic Of Findhorn The Next Economy

“The bottom line is down where it belongs - at the bottom.” 6 likes