Desire

Desire

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,510 ratings  ·  80 reviews
From the windswept, craggy coast of a remote British Isle comes the thrilling tale of a daring lady and a dangerous knight... bound by the tempests of fate—and the dawning of... Desire

Upon her father's death, beautiful, headstrong Lady Clarre knew that she must wed, for the protection of the Isle of Desire new fell to her. Yet when her guardian's choice of prospective hus...more
Published (first published December 1993)

Pamela(AllHoney)
Lady Clare's father died and her guardian is Thurston of Landry. She knows she must marry and so requests a man with certain qualities. Instead she is sent Sir Gareth of Wyckmere also known as Hellhound of Wyckmere. Sir Gareth is the bastard son of Thurston of Landry and the opportunity to have his own land appeals to him. He isn't going to let a few paltry qualities keep him from it.

Fun and clever at times. I started reading this and realized I had already read it and for whatever reason my rat...more
Maria
4/23/2009: My second favorite Jayne-Ann-Krentz-writing-as-Amanda-Quick book, I enjoy reading it each year. When I got up this morning to find it snowing on Easter in St. Louis, I grabbed Desire and spent the day cozily visiting with Clare and Sir Gareth. Note that both Desire and Mystique (my two favorites) are set in earlier times than the remaining Amanda Quicks. I'm not sure why I like these better. Usually I don't care for this period in history because it is so violent and there is no appre...more
Adrianna
Feb 03, 2010 Adrianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Adrianna by: Saw on a bookshelf in the library
This is my favorite novel written by Amanda Quick. Clare, the heroine, creates perfume. She marries Gareth, the Hellhound of Wyckmere, and the two get caught up in an evil plot to steal an alchemist's book. One aspect that brings this tale to life is the setting, the isle of desire. It's a beautiful place and the descriptions leave me wondering if Clare and Gareth live in the garden of Eden. My favorite part of the book, though, is Clare's strong, independent nature. Quick is able to create a he...more
Margarks
A familiar historical romance formula in which the female character is forced to marry to save her lands. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. It had a bit of a taming of the shrew feel to it, one of my favorite shakespeare stories (along with much ado about nothing).

All in all an enjoyable read.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Desire was a well-written romance novel. Desire is Amanda Quick at her best! Desire is a great example of an author allowing the characters to write their stories. What I appreciated was Quick making the female character strong and independent, which is rarely seen in romance novels.

With mother, father and brother dead and no other relatives, Lady Clare was left to run her father’s kingdom the Isle of Desire. Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, aka the Hellhound of Wyckmere, born a bastard but raised in hi...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is one of my first books of Amanda Quick’s I’ve read. It involves an elder bastard son and a strong willed heiress. Garath has had to become a knight because his lordly father expected it. He becomes known as the Hellhound by all. Clare, on the other hand, has always had control of the Isle of Desire and the perfumes she made. When she sees that she must marry for her own protection, her guardian is Garath’s father. Garath is sent as a candidate for the marriage. It was funny to see them am...more
Sandra
A very smooth Medieval romance.

Lady Clare, 23, officially mistress of the Isle of Desire since her father passed away, but in actuality since she was 12, needs to get married. It is the only way to take care of her people and the island.

Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, the Hellhound, a landless knight, bastard son of Lord Thurston, is sent by his father to marry her.

Two people used to being in control of themselves and all their retainers are going to clash, and they do. Then there is the murder of the r...more
Annette
Clare has written to her liege Lord to tell him her father is dead and that she realizes she must marry. She lives on an island that grows flowers and herbs and provides a very good income for her, everyone who lives on the island and of course her liege Lord. Clare has been managing things for quite some time and she considers herself the Boss. She does not really want to marry, but in order to protect the island, she knows she will have to accept a husband.

She has a recipe for a husband just...more
Ladysatel
Desire by Amanda Quick

Lady Clare is mistress of the Island of Desire. Here she grows her flowers and herbs to make lotions and unguents for sale at the local fair. Since her father’s and brother’s death she has been urged to marry by the Lord of the District. Lord Thurston.

Clare is reluctant to marry, especially not to her closest neighbor on the mainland, Nicholas Seaburn. Lord Thurston knows Clare needs a protector for the Island as well as a husband. Since Clare will not decide on a husband L...more
Rema
One of the worst novels I've come across. I was surprised, Amanda Quick novels have always been a huge favorite of mine but with Desire I'm disappointed.

I was reluctant to read this from the start, with good reason. From the first time we meet Clare, she appears to be quite immature and young, hardly the sensible, logical feminine lead she was described as by various characters throughout the book. Her logical manner (if she even has one) and her immature, rash impulses clash and that is the on...more
Carina Nina
It was ok .. I really was dissapointed even thought the love story was ok ..there where too many characters ! Or is it just me who thinks that ? I don.t know , I concentrated more on the scenes between Gareth and Clare , really . What surprised me was that when they found Beatrice dead I knew Dalian had something to do with it , or at list was involved in one of the killer's plans..I was really happy that I figured that out ! I injoyed like... half of the book , because the rest was sooo boring...more
Liz
This book was a breath of fresh air. I really liked the place where Clare and Gareth meet. Isle of Desire sounds like a magical place. Clare is a perfume maker and Gareth also likes to experiment as well. When Lord Thurston tells Clare she needs to marry, Clare has a few requirements of her own regarding a suitor. This is Clare's recipe for the perfect candidate:

"First, as regards to his physical qualities, the future lord of Desire must be a man of moderate proportions and stature. It has been...more
Mareena
Feb 21, 2012 Mareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical romance
Recommended to Mareena by: Library Book Sale
For my #8 Challenge (author with a pseudonym), I read Desire by Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Ann Krentz). Upon her father's death while he was traveling in Spain, Lady Clare of Desire reluctantly writes to her guardian, Lord Thurston of Landry, to find her a husband. Enclosed in her missive is a "husband recipe" with four qualities which she requires her future husband to have.

Thurston sends only two candidates for Lady Clare's hand, one man who kidnapped her for four days and the other - Sir Gareth...more
Cruth
"By Saint Hermione's elbow, my lord. You call this kissing?"

Plot:
Gareth was ready to give up the fighting and put down roots. Clare wasn't sure he was the one for her. But was willing to do her duty. Eventually.

Comments:
- Historical Romance - set in the time of Henry II (1133-89)
- 392 pages, 5492 kindle locations.
- m/f - reasonably frequent, reasonably explicit.
- Includes references to an anchorite, Beatrice. Anchorites were a type of religious hermit who tended to live in an anchorhold, a small...more
Kelly
Amanda Quick is a favorite author of mine. I believe I have read this book years ago. Claire is a self possessed young woman who is not only the heir to the Isle of Desire, she is the reason for its profits. Gareth is a bastard knight. He has been chosen for Claire to be her husband. The story is about the relationship of their marriage. Both trying to find a middle ground. Very enjoyable read. Funny parts, a bit of mystery, a bit of harrowing parts. All in all an absorbing read.
Emily
Lady Clare has always been independent, now that her father has passed and an unfortunate event of kidnapping from her neighbor who tried to force her into marriage, she has decided to seek help by requesting four suitors of marriage from the lord that owns her lands. Much to her disappointment she ends up with one suitor, who has no intention of leaving.

Sir Gareth of Wyckmere also known as the Hellhound of Wyckmere, has a reputation for bieng brutal when it comes to war. Upon meeting Lady Clare...more
namericanwordcat
Desire is one of Amanda Quick's less talked about romances. Its set in the medieval period which is very much unlike most of her other books. I so wish she would set more books in this period.

Now, this is not a overly serious medieval romance where you are going to feel steep in the history of the era and comfortable discussing nuances of history at dinner parties but it is a great book for the every day live of the the period.

I love the unusual setting of a little British Isle where flowers a...more
Bill Sanderson
The book started slowly enough that I almost abandoned it after chapter two, but I'm glad I continued.Both of the main characters are strong willed and their interactions are amusing. The societal aspects of the medieval setting are quite believable with the secondary characters being alternately amused and concerned with Lady Clare's displays of temper toward her taciturn and rigidly self-controlled suitor.

Ms. Krentz's work ranges from merely okay to amazing and usually comes in at three stars...more
Lavender Brooke
Desire is one of the few Amanda Quick books I have thought of as a keeper - some of her other heroines having driven me mad!

Lady Clare is headstrong and fiesty and not one to be pushed around and her suitor is suitably (sorry I couldn't resist that)fierce and warriory but also good hearted and thoughtful (so totally unrealistic but we're suspending belief so it doesn't matter).

The backstory about the manuscript thief and the alchemy was typically AQ and a little silly but fun and the characters...more
Jessi
Lady Clare knows that after her father's death, she's going to be married off. She also knows that she doesn't want to marry some lunkhead knight. She wants a gentle poet. But her liege lord only sends two men. One who kidnapped and tried to rape her to force her into marriage and the other is his bastard son, Sir Gareth of Wyckmore, also known as the Hellhound. She knows that the latter is not a good guy and at least the Hellhound can read. Plus, he seems more intelligent than the knights she's...more
Stephanie Bolen
Was the danger element really needed? I would have liked there to be more contest between her suitors. And a better look at his relationship with his parents.
Debbie
Lady Clare lives on Desire, an island of flowers. Her valuable perfume recipes are in high demand, and make the island a valuable prize. When her father dies, Lady Clare knows she must marry. Not wanting to marry the odious Sir nicholas, she asks her guardian to send several suitors for her approval. Each must be small in stature, good tempered, and intelligent.

When only one suitor arrives, a warrior who is large and stern (but can read), the sparks fly. Sir Gareth longs for a quiet home, but La...more
Gizella Tóth
Le a kalappal a fordító előtt. Imádtam a régies nyelvezetet. :)
Lynette
I read this back when it was first released. Used to be a big Amanda Quick fan back in the day. God, I'm getting old. Anyhoo, now that Kindle has the library borrowing feature, I wanted to test it out and this was the only book that I was available immediately. I wanted to see if it would hold up to a re-read.

All I could think of while reading was how annoying the heroine was. I didn't think that years ago, I'm sure. LOL. But I still liked the story, it felt very comforting. I need to pick up a...more
Andrea
Really loved it. Good Read.
Meaghan
i want her to custom make some perfume for me!!! :) i always enjoy books by amanda quick and this was no exception.
Linda
I believe this is the first book I've read by this author, and I see from her autobiography she's used a total of 7 pen names. I am really enjoying this book so far - I just started it a few days ago, and I'm 3/4's of the way through it already. I do not want the book to end, and I'm hoping this book is part of a series, because I'm falling in love with the characters. Great book so far! Well I finished it, and it really was amazing. So sad that the book ended though.
Sarah Webber
Poor novel. She stole almost the whole plot from Elizabeth Lowell's Untamed.
Sue
If i could give something 3.5 stars this would be it. It's a fairly complex and funny plot at times, but when it came to putting the petal to the metal... took a long time getting there, skimmed heavily for about 100 pages. But then it picked up and it was great. So, it might work for you but I found it a bit slow to grab my attention, actually that's not correct. It had difficulty keeping my attention for a while there.
Western and Medie...: July 2014 - BOM: Desire, by Amanda Quick 16 20 Jul 18, 2014 11:43AM
Best scene! 12 55 Jan 22, 2013 02:08PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Desire (1993) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:57AM
  • Trust Me
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni...more
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) The Paid Companion Dangerous Mistress