Start by marking “Beyond The Far Side” as Want to Read:
Beyond The Far Side

Beyond The Far Side (Far Side Collection #2)

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  3,575 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

The Far Side and the Larson signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.
Published August 2nd 1983 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond The Far Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond The Far Side

Peacegal
Apr 17, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Before "Bizzaro" was skewering the relationship between humans and animals, there was "The Far Side"...

Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Beyond The Far Side is even funnier than the first, The Far Side. The book is a fairly quick read since there are only 100 panels. This means that it is about one-third of a year of comic strips.

Gary Larson had pretty much perfected his humor by the time this book came out. While not all strips are very funny, at least they are interesting as they are usually a comment about the nature of mankind. Others make you smile. And still others make you laugh out loud. I always loved The Far Side when
Charles
Jan 03, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
What can you say but these are just superb.
TrumanCoyote
Aug 09, 2014 TrumanCoyote rated it really liked it
The second half is better than the first. At any rate, it contains a number of my favorites. Like the lady wondering what's in her front yard, or "It seems like every summer there's more and more of these things around." The unreachable guy in Hell and "Ooooooooo!" And the cow courtroom confessional and "Rusty's in the club!" "They turned it into a wastebasket?" and "Whoa!...That can't be right!"
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
1984 Jan 1

Who doesn't love the Far Side? Some are less than brilliant, but few are.

***

2012 Jul 23

Oh, who am I kidding? They're all pretty brilliant, they hold up delightfully. What I wonder is: was my sense of humor molded by The Far Side, or was there a twisted streak to it which Larson happened to share? The important thing is that the Offspring are enjoying these, too.

Library copy.
Tom Schulte
Feb 07, 2016 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it
Larson's Far Side cartoons always make me laugh, I relish every collection I come across. I like the dark, wry humor. I always recall the unusual activities of cows depicted, but in this collection rhinos are as often the visual punchline.
Kenneth
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mark
Sep 15, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, far-side, comics
More inspired lunacy/genius from Gary Larson, this has a lot of great cartoons to recommend - from the penguin, in a flock, proclaiming “I gotta be me!” to the adventurous goldfish “The fool, he’s on the piano”; from the spider doing his web all wrong to the vulture, dressed in clothes, saying “Howdy, I’m a cowboy” - plus the cartoon that got me into the Far Side in the first place, after originally seeing it on a greetings card. Two mosquitoes, one normal sized, the other huge and the classic l ...more
Jerome
Jul 30, 2015 Jerome rated it it was amazing
A great collection of consistently humorous Far Side tales, silly but not to the point of being dumb.
Timothy Boyd
Dec 15, 2014 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
When you grow up life either makes you like Dilbert or you live in the far side. Very recommended
Beau Johnston
Mar 11, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
The only reason not to read this book is if...... who am I kidding, there are no reasons.
Andy
May 27, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
Apparently 11-year-old me had occasionally great taste.
Anthony Lawrie
Jan 15, 2016 Anthony Lawrie rated it really liked it
It's Gary Larson, what's not to love?
Lorena
Apr 06, 2016 Lorena rated it it was amazing
All Far Side is awesome!
Gabriel Wallis
Apr 27, 2016 Gabriel Wallis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2016
Another great Far Side book.
Tony
Apr 06, 2013 Tony rated it it was amazing
I found this on a pile of papers that I was cleaning up. What a hoot! I forgot how much I loved his humor, and it's a lot more fun looking at dozens of "strips" at a time than waiting for one a day in the paper.

My favorites are the ones I have to look at for a while to figure out the joke.

Happily, since I was in the Larson mood, I found two large volumes among my book stash.....
Stephen
Jan 12, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing
C'mon. What's not to love about The Far Side? It marks the origins of cool, self-mocking geeks in our society.
John
Oct 17, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Beyond the Far Side is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's books. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
ben
Apr 25, 2007 ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larson is not groundbreaking in his humor, his simply draws what most of us have thought before but never admit to anyone. Most of his humor lies in changing the perspectives we're used to. I like a man who still embraces his imagination.
2 Jon C
Oct 23, 2012 2 Jon C rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny book. If you understand a wide variety of humor this would be an excellent book for you. I found this book very interesting and funny
Roy Hudson
Jul 01, 2013 Roy Hudson rated it it was amazing
The Far Side never disappoints, even if there are a few duds in each collection. Many cartoons in this one had me laughing out loud. Good stuff.
Bryan
Oct 29, 2013 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Not sure there is a Gary Larson collection that rates less than 5 stars. Love his stuff.
Benjamin
Jun 06, 2010 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
A good collection of Larson's exceedingly bizarre cartoons. It is a little short though.
Eduardo
Sep 04, 2008 Eduardo rated it it was amazing
One of my first introductions to the concept of humor and comedy as a kid.
Jeremiah
Mar 23, 2008 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
My favorite cartoonist, period! I wish he was still working on new pieces-drat!
Don Gubler
Aug 16, 2012 Don Gubler rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Odd takes on our tendency toward anthropomorphism with animals. Very funny.
Annemarie
Mar 02, 2015 Annemarie rated it really liked it
These short, hilarious comics will entertain you until the end!
Minnna
Feb 23, 2014 Minnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larsonin yksruutusia på svenska. Loistavaa tavaraa, kuten aina.
Jess
Aug 02, 2009 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: z_09, comic
Not my favorite collection, but good, as they all are.
  • Your Momma Thinks Square Roots Are Vegetables: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Billy and the Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink": A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Get Fuzzy 2: Fuzzy Logic
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side