Start by marking “Warriors 1” as Want to Read:
Warriors 1

Warriors 1 (Warriors Part 1 of 3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From George R. R. Martin’s Introduction to Warriors:

“People have been telling stories about warriors for as long as they have been telling stories. Since Homer first sang the wrath of Achilles and the ancient Sumerians set down their tales of Gilgamesh, warriors, soldiers, and fighters have fascinated us; they are a part of every culture, every literary tradition, every ge
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Tor Fantasy (first published March 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Warriors 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors 1

Semnebune
Numele lui George R.R. Martin este pe buzele tuturor și mai nimeni nu îndrăznește să spună ceva rău despre el. Masiva lui saga (A Song of Ice and Fire) are de toate și e scrisă impecabil. Tind să cred că are mari șanse să spargă barierele și să dea startul unei noi ere în literatura fantasy, atât prin excelența scriiturii cât și prin subiect, personaje și toată legenda care s-a țesut în jurul ei.

Așadar, când am văzut în librării volumul colectiv Războinicii publicat sub patronajul lui George R.R
Saphirablue
Skjam!
Note:
I won this book in a First Reads giveaway.

Apparently, the paperback edition cuts a larger anthology in half. The theme as stated in the title is "warriors" with a mix of genres (SF, fantasy, historical fiction), in imitation of the old fashioned spinner rack, all the different kinds of paperbacks mixed together.

And so the stories are a pretty mixed bag as well. The Joe Haldeman story was perhaps the weakest for me, set in a slightly different part of his famous "Forever War" novel. It's le
Ana Paula
Forever Bound by Joe Haldeman - I don't know the world where this comes from, but I actually found it slightly interesting and well written. It's predictable sometimes though. 3/5

The Eagle and the Rabbit by Steven Saylor - The plot isn't that complex. The way it's written reminded me of a fable. But the characters caught me completely, I could feel all that happened to Hanso and I was totally excited about what option he was gonna choose. 5/5

And Ministers of Grace by Tad Williams - I didn't get
Steve
There were 2 stories that I liked in this book: The one about the interplanetary assassin and the one about the long-forgotten soldiers who are defending a desert wasteland.

Being a reader of the Song of Ice and Fire series, I was interested in the story that takes place before Game of Thrones. It is called "The Mystery Knight". The story was just OK. The writing was superb, as one would expect from George Martin.
John
It would have been 3 stars if not for the inclusion of the third story in the Dunk and Egg series. I really hope GRRM writes more of this series. Dunk and Egg might be my favorite characters out of the whole Ice and Fire universe.
Michael
This is a solid collection of short stories where you don't need any prior reading to enjoy. While most people will pick this up for the George R.R. Martin Novella, I feel that others shouldn't ignore the other entries. My favorite story of the bunch was "The Eagle and the Rabbit" by Steven Saylor. Set during the ancient war between Rome and Carthage, it follows a Carthage prisoner and the trails he endures while having his humanity testing. This story alone gives the book a 3 rating. I was also ...more
Nick
Excellent anthology with Martin attempting to leverage his best-seller visibility to lead readers across genres. His introduction captures the literary influences of his youth, discovering a wide scope of writers because of the limited rack space for paperbacks at the nearby store, and the random way books were placed in it. So, this volume has SF, fantasy, historical, horror.

If nothing else, read his forward, but all the stories in vol 1 are good. It is particularly pleasing to see a vibrant w
Kurt Zisa
New edition of fantasy shorts, a must read for any fan of Westeros.
Jan-Maat
Apart from the Dunk and Egg story and the GRRM introduction to the collection I was underwhelmed. All of the stories were well enough written and I liked the set up of the Robert Silverberg story in particular, but in my mind a good short story needs a punchline, some kind of twist or sudden realisation that changes the way I think or leads me to engage more deeply with what I've just read and I missed that in these stories. On the other hand a mere five british pounds for a Dunk and Egg story t ...more
Hermano
I enjoyed this book . There are some great short stories here. I liked them all.
Dionisia
I liked this anthology and thought it was a nice introduction to authors I am wholey unfamiliar with. I dig the "spinner rack" vibe the editors were striving for. There are elements of science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy and even western all nestled comfortably within these pages. Not a stunner but still an enjoyable romp with an eclectic group of warriors.

Note: This book was a goodreads giveaway.
Barbara
On reading the introduction I thought I knew which stories I would like best. I was wrong! The stories I liked best were stories in genres that I don't read much and made me wonder what else these authors have written what I might like.
Some of the stories are pure entertainment but some of them made me think.
I like this book very much and can't wait what lies within part 2 and 3.
Andreea Daia
Jun 29, 2011 Andreea Daia marked it as to-read
Stories included in this volume:

“Forever Bound” by Joe Haldeman
“The Eagle and the Rabbit” by Steven Saylor
“And Ministers of Grace” by Tad Williams
“The King of Norway” by Cecelia Holland
“Defenders of the Frontier” by Robert Silverberg
“The Mystery Knight” by George R. R. Martin

I didn't start reading this book yet.
Erik Koster
I picked this up in an airport gift shop to read on the plane...it's apparently part of a much larger hardcover which I've added to my wishlist. Pretty good stories though I liked the straight fantasy ones the best...still find it very hard to get into historical fiction.
Janice Crespo
Intense - I had to take a little breather between stories - they got me that involved - which is awesome for short stories. If you don't have a lot of time to read, or love a quick story, this one is for you!
Deborah
"I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads"

Some of the stories contained were very good and some of them no so much! A very good read all in all I would highly recommend this book
Geoff Schaeffer
I picked this up to read "The Mystery Knight". I also liked most of the other stories in this collection as well. I'm thinking of buying the other two volumes.
Luci
Meh. Its a mixed bag of stories. The first one is really good. The Martin one is entertaining. Beyond that, I probably will not buy the next books in this series.
Frank D
Overall the stories were average except for George RR Martin's Hedge Knight story set in his "Fire and Ice" world. That met expectations.
Lee Pfahler
I only read the Robert Silverberg novelette; not one of his better stories but it was pretty decent.
Nicole
Sep 07, 2012 Nicole marked it as to-read
Forever Bound by Joe Haldeman (3/5)
The Eagle and The Rabbit by Steven Saylor (4/5)
BVZM
Per il momento ho letto solo il racconto di Martin, "The Mystery Knight".
Ryan Curry
That was fucking awesome!! I'm dying to read more of Joe Haldeman!!
Isreal
Great short stories so far...
Tammi
Nice collection
♥ Amanda
Nov 17, 2011 ♥ Amanda marked it as to-read
Review to come
Travis Zolnierek
Travis Zolnierek marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • The Long Result
  • Futures from Nature
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Les Dames du lac
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Villains Victorious
  • Dangerous Space
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful
  • Worlds That Weren't
  • The Third Science Fiction Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Tales
  • The Mammoth Book of Dracula
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)

“Sure, I knew the differences between a space opera and a hard-boiled detective story and a historical novel...but I never cared about such differences. It seemed to me, then as now, that there are good stories and bad stories, and that was the only distinction that truly mattered.” 13 likes