Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)

Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  167 reviews
Private Investigator Cat DeLuca and her Pants on Fire Detective Agency have a reputation for catching cheaters.It’s a skill Cat mastered when married to her run-around ex, Johnnie Ricco.Armed with a camera, Cat scales balconies, dangles from hotel windows, and splashes the bare facts on 8X10 glossies.They tend to sweeten her clients’ divorce settlements. Life takes a stra...more
Audio CD, Library Edition
Published September 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 27th 2010)

Jonny99
Unintentionally funny. At the end Cat DeLuca’s self-introduction that leads off the book, you know things are not going to go well. It ends with the phase: ”my life brook into a thousand Monopoly pieces”. Um, a thousand ”Monopoly” pieces? Does that make sense to anyone else? These little bits of weirdness, reminiscent of talking to an Indian call center employee pretending to be ”George from the Midwest” permeate the book. Cat goes out for dinner and has an ”Italian salad” - maybe the author mea...more
Bill
I just couldn't get into it. The plot was weak, the dialogue ok--with lots of funny one-liners, but the characters are not particularly interesting. I'm sure the publisher took the book because of the similarities to the highly successful Janet Evanovich series with Stephanie Plum. Unfortunately K. J. Larsen doesn't reach the same level of interest with her Cat DeLuca's Pants on Fire detective agency.
Okay cooler authors? I think not. (met them at Borders yeaterday! They were sooo funny plus supper like, suportive.) They're sisters for one, and they were really sweet to their fans.

Better characters? I'm gonna go with a no again. I loved the huge italian family and crazy "dead men". Cat's just hallarious in genral, running a detective angency for women that want to find out if their husbands are cheaters, and Chance the dead man that she keeps runnining into, with such pretty eyes. She had cra...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was an amazing read. Very humorous of a stereotyped Chicago Italian family. It is a family filled with law enforcement members, a couple of daughters, one of which owns her own private investigative agency. This book features Caterina (Cat) Deluca.

Cat owns the "Pants on Fire Detective Agency" that specializes on getting the goods on cheating, naughty spouses. Cat was inspired by her ex...a cheating spouse. While she is on surveillance, she follows a suspect to an abandoned building. Expecti...more
Christi
My impression so far of this book is that it tries too hard to be a Stephanie Plum knock-off.
The overbearing family, the sidekick pet, the mafioso family connections.
I am going to give this a few more chapters to see if she ever gets into solving the case of who is Chase Santro-whatsisface and who is the blue eyeliner lady passing herself off as his wife?

I stuck with this book and still feel it is a Stephanie Plum knock-off. Although instead of forgetting to pack a gun as Stephanie always does,...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
If you like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, you will love this series.

Cat DeLuca runs the Pants on Fire agency...she goes out and catches the adulterers. She has a brother Rocco that is a cop, Uncle Joey (who may not really be her uncle) who "takes care" of people (can we say mob?) and a Catholic mother who likes to use the guilt card. Her family is a blue collar Italian family in Chicago to set more of the picture.

I will say I haven't laughed as much as I did with this book. Definitely...more
Christyn
I can't help but compare Liar Liar to another popular series. In fact I can compare it to two. I'm not saying it's horrible and I will never pick up a book by this author again but I don't like seeing so many of the same themes popping up. That is a heroine with a cheating ex-husband, a large colorful Italian family with a mother that is most annoying, a new female 'sidekick', two potential love interests (one a mysterious ex-spy type, the other a law enforcement guy), the blowing up cars, and I...more
Lisa
Liar Liar is a fast, fun read - as noted on the jacket cover, if you enjoy Janet Evanovich (or Carl Hiaasen, Lisa Lutz) you should love this new series created by KJ Larsen (who are three sister authors writing under one name). As you might guess, it's not the mystery that's the heart of the book, but the people who inhabit it. Cat DeLuca is the owner of a detective agency that specializes in getting the goods on cheating spouses. Things get crazier than usual when a house she's watching is blow...more
SenoraG
Jun 05, 2010 SenoraG rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of evanovice, lutz
Recommended to SenoraG by: advance copy from publisher
Shelves: ebook, fun, kindle, june, arc, 2010
There were places where I found the writing to be a bit scattered and hard to follow. The charactors are great and easy to identify with. There were times I laughed out loud at Cat and her gangs high jinx.

My favorite charactor would have to be Mama DeLuca with her quick wit and undying love for her family. Anyone coming from an Italian family can relate to Cat's family and laugh along at her frustration.

I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to any readers who like Janet Evanovich an...more
Ashley
It's hard for me to focus on books set in Chicago that seem to be written by people that have never visited Chicago. Or have only been to the bigger tourist attractions.

Cat DeLuca is not a good detective. I honestly don't understand why as a PI you would wear heels all the time. Don't you have to run away from stuff? Also, she just makes bad choices. And even though supposedly only ONE of her relatives is crooked, they all seem to look the other way when Cat does a B&E (I learned that termi...more
Morgiana
Not Great, But Entertaining

Cat Deluca is a private detective who makes her living by scoping out cheating spouses. She comes from a big Italian family of Chicago cops with big appetites. Her mother is crazy, but makes fantastic cannoli.

The characters were reminiscent of those in the Stephanie Plum series. I couldn't help comparing this story with "One For The Money". The parallels between the characters were obvious.

Although the story line was pretty good, there were some really annoying thing...more
bup
Set in Chicago, "Liar, Liar" is a funny, action-packed mystery at high speed. If it took itself seriously, then...but it doesn't. Cat DeLuca, the protagonist owner of a detective agency, is a fully realized character with lots of attitude and a crazy family.

A completely fun ride.
Pat St.
Hilarious mystery, in the vein of The Spellman Files (Lisa Lutz). Inept (or semi-ept) detective Cat DeLuca, aka DeLucky, attempts to uncover a plot involving the FBI, Chicago police, and any number of crooks. You'll fly through this one!
judy
In the middle of a DeLuca family dinner I realized I was waiting for a small car to pull up and tons of clowns to fall out. Closed the book. Leave Janet alone.
Vicki Gooding
The book is hilarious, with the main character seriously trying to solve a mystery that no one else seems to want to believe. Cat DeLuca owns an agency designed to help women catch their liar, liar pants on fire cheating husbands. When she's hired for one case, the man she's trailing denies being married, and is caught in an explosion. However; he continues to mysteriously pop up calling her DeLucky but no one else see's or hears any of these hidden moments. We find a large Italian family in Chi...more
Debbie Heaton
In Larsen’s mystery novel, private investigator Cat DeLuca knows just how to nail a cheating husband. After all, Chance Savino, her ex, taught her all about deceit and untrustworthiness. But when he is supposedly killed during an explosion, no one believes Cat when she insists he’s alive and up to his tricks again. Then when Rita Savino is found dead, threats soon follow and Cat finds herself dodging hit men, the FBI, cops, and even the mob. To survive this, Cat will need to turn to her family a...more
Chris Norbury
I enjoyed the breezy, humor-tinged style, but occasionally the well crafted prose was repetitious. Certain words or turns of phrase stood out due to a few too many uses. I also have a little trouble with a humorous voice imposed on life and death situations. One moment the MC is sick to her stomach after witnessing a killing, but is able to crack a joke a few minutes later.

I also felt the plot strayed into a secondary plot for too long. After a few chapters of the subplot, I suspected it would s...more
Kat
Mickey Reed
I'm not even sure what to say. This book is funny and along the lines of the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. It's easy to see that comparison, so I won't do it for you. However, I thought this was a little convoluted.

Cat DeLuca owns the Pants On Fire Private Detective Agency. While spying for a woman named Rita who claims her husband is cheating, she runs right smack into the guy (Chance). He says this woman is not his wife, but an explosion stops him from explaining more. The FBI say...more
Bookventures Book Club
In case you find the title of this book oddly familiar it’s because it was modeled from a popular childhood rhyme “Liar Liar, pants on fire”. The rhyme serves as the title of Cat DeLuna’s Private Investigation firm where she catches lying and cheating husbands. The nature of Cat’s job, her crazy family and K.J’s writing makes this story a really funny and whimsical read.

Some of the more outstanding themes in the book were arguably sexism in the police and investigative fields and also the relev...more
Ricki Nordmeyer
Watch out, Janet Evanovich ! A new player(s) is here. K.J. Larsen the pseudonym of three sisters, has written Liar, Liar, the first in the Cat DeLuca series. Caterina DeLuca, daughter and niece of countless Chicago cops and one cannoli-slinging Mama is a perfect Midwestern successor to Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum. The sexy, plucky, owner of the “Pants on Fire Detective Agency: We Catch Liars and Cheats” based in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago, finds herself in the middle of a bomb explosi...more
Cheryl
I had a great deal of fun reading this book. Cat and her family were hilarious. I loved all of her brothers. The twins were instigators and continuously cracked me up. Her sister could use a good smack on the head. Her dad, well, he and his scar are just in a class of their own. Her mother, well, she's like the pot calling the kettle, etc.

The story had an interesting mystery and I have to say that one of the bad guys was unexpected. There was also a fair amount of action and I loved that Cat co...more
Lucinda
Liar, Liar (Poisoned Pen 2010) introduces Cat DeLuca, a private investigator operating the Pants On Fire Detective Agency, specializing in cheating spouses, in Chicago. Cat is tailing Chance Savino, a suspected cheating spouse, when she sees him entering a building, which explodes and injures Cat. The body found inside the building is identified as Chance, and Cat breaks the news to her client. But things aren’t quite so simple: the FBI says the building exploded because of a gas leak instead of...more
Amy
FANTASTIC!

I loved this mystery and I loved it so much, I read it twice within 24 hours!

Three sisters have blended their creative talents to write Liar Liar and they have done a spectacular job!

Cat DeLuca investigates liars and cheats for her "company", Pants on Fire. She figures she has the experience after being married for 2 years (they're now divorced) to her no-good two-timing (really 6 timing) cheating scumbag of a husband.

While on her latest case, she almost gets taken out by a "For Lease...more
Beverly
A reporter for the Chicago Tribune (Rita Polansky) masquerades as a client with a liar husband. Rita retains Cat, a private detective, to follow Chance Savino, a guy with a pocketful of smuggled diamonds. After an explosion, the FBI claims Savino was killed in the fireworks but Cat isn’t buying it. When her client fails to show for a scheduled meeting, Cat finds her at home with a knife in her chest. Sounds good, but is not a great murder mystery.
Ruth Ferguson
This was a fun book to listen to - with everyone from her trusty sidekick and protection dog - Ingle, a beagle who can be bribed easily with sausages to her wacky family you will enjoy this book.

Cat DeLuca runs a private eye business focused on getting the dirt on cheating spouses. But she somehow ends up at the right place at the wrong time and gets hit in the head by a flying "For Lease" sign when the bomb goes off. Her family and the police are convinced she needs mental help when she keeps...more
Balthazar Lawson
This book is like those occasions in life where you are introduced into a circle of close friends, know none of them, but everyone acts as if you already know everyone and ultimately feel left out. There are so many people coming and going in this book that it gets confusing at times. Many of the characters were a bit cliché as were many of the situations. I've seen it all before.

It was only a so so sort of book, nothing spectacular.
Karen
This cleaver and funny series is about a 30yr old divorcee who runs a detective agency that hunts down cheating spouses. Based in Chicago she is of Italian dcent with about a dozen cops in the family. She has a typical Italian mother who is more worried about getting grandson's.
Wonderfully light and funny.
AnnieM
I was expecting a Stephanie Plum and got ... severely let down.

It was long, overly detailed and while all sorts of details were thrown in, I couldn't care about any of them. Add that too the enormous cast of characters (again none of which i cared about) it was an EXCRUCIATING read.
Ellen
Cat DeLuca and her Pants on Fire Detective Agency are in and out of danger in occasionally humorous situations in Chicago. Clever and fun, but not quite up to the belly laughs that Stephanie Plum and her family warrant in the Evanovich books.
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • Moving Violation (A Chloe Boston Mystery, #1)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Knockdown (Home Repair Is Homicide, #14)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • The Odds (Richard Christie, #4)
  • Cry Dance
  • Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
Sisters Kari, Julianne, and Kristen write under the pen name, K.J. Larsen.

Writing a novel together was second nature for the three sisters who created their own Nancy Drew mysteries as kids. “We live very different lives,” Kari says. “What brings us together is a voracious love of mystery, a wicked sense of humor, and the thrill of victory.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kari Larsen lives at the...more
More about K.J. Larsen...
Sticks and Stones (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #2) Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3) The Pants On Fire Detective Agency - Box Set: 3 Books in 1 3 Great Female Detectives: Liar, Liar, The Dangerous Edge of Things, Shadows in the Night