Start by marking “Shanks for Nothing” as Want to Read:
Shanks for Nothing

Shanks for Nothing (Missing Links #2)

The hilarious sequel to Rick Reilly’s beloved bestselling golf novel Missing Links

Life is going pretty well for Raymond “Stick” Hart. He’s happily married to the former Ponkaquogue Municipal Golf Club assistant pro, the beauteous Cajun firecracker Dannie, raising his rambunctious son, Charlie, and getting by writing smart-mouthed greeting cards for fifty bucks a pop. Best
Published May 2nd 2006 by Doubleday (first published 2006)

Ray Kelly
Feb 07, 2015 Ray Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another preposterously funny golf novel by Rick Reilly. The protagonist Raymond ”Stick” Hart and his dysfunctional group of friends Two Down, Thud, Crowbar and Hoover return and these weird characters blend into an equally weird plot. Stick is a plus handicap golfer who has been urged most of his life to join the tour by his overbearing father. Stick has no interest in the big show, preferring to hang out and play with his buddies at Ponky, the worst golf course in America. Stick’s c ...more
Eric_W
Jan 15, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Apparently, Reilly was inspired to write hits after a trip to a golf course of the same name in the book and the weird characters he met there. I don't care much for golf -- "A good walk, spoiled," is Mark Twain's famous line -- but this book is laugh out loud funny filled with the most bizarre characters. There is the guy who always keeps a coat hangar in his glove compartment in case he locks his keys in the car. When asked how he gets the hangar out if his keys are locked in the car, the answ ...more
Jan
Mar 14, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny, I think it would be even funnier to me, if I had any clue about Golf, I do not, and therefore, a lot was lost to me. A bunch of friends who are totally goof-balls and jokers, hang out at a golf course, they lie a lot, and make bets, and are kind of a lovable bunch of losers. This is their story of how they want to buy the golf course, before it is turned into the parking lot for the swanky course next door. Which means, one chap has to go to Scotland to win some money, only t ...more
Brian
Jul 19, 2008 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sports
With "Faster than Oprah on a water slide" and other one-liners, Reilly will at least force you to turn the pages in hopes of something similar. For the golfer in you, learning shots like the "Calista Flockhart - thin but still pretty," the "Lorena Bobbitt - wicked slice," and the "Michael Moore - a shot fat and left," makes the novel worth a few hours of your time. All told, 'Shanks' falls a club short of Reilly's 'Missing Links' due to some contrived bits of plot; however, the characters - Two ...more
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Bestselling author Rick Reilly, a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, has been voted National Sportswriter of the Year ten times. Reilly discusses, rants and reads from his new book Shanks for Nothing, the hilarious sequel to his beloved golf novel, Missing Links.

We met Rick Reilly when he visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. You can listen to him talk about Shanks for Nothing: A Novel here:
Britney
Oct 22, 2012 Britney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of Sports Illustrated or Sports Center or any kind of sports telecasts, commentary, etc. However, I am a lover of golf, and a teacher friend recommended this book. Surprisingly, I could not put it down. It is funny and clever and warm, and if Ricky Reilly can write an arrogant prankster jock that this 35-year-old mother of two can root for, I'm sure that any sports' fan will gobble it up.
Sean
Aug 01, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent, but far-fetched, sequel to Missing Links follows the protagonist as he tries to save his favorite golf course from becoming a parking lot and his wife from tossing him on his ear by doing the only sensible thing: qualifying for the British Open. It's an enjoyable ride despite the fact it is completely implausible and many of the jokes are recycled from the first book.
Adam
May 30, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HILARIOUS! I loved it! A bunch of losers playing golf at a crappy course. They are such losers, in fact, that you can't help but pull for them and embrace the full extent of their duffer-dom. It is written by Rick Reilly, long-time Sports Illustrated columnist.
Tim B
Oct 30, 2012 Tim B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was kind of like reading a Tim Dorsey book set on a golf course (maybe just a little slower than a Dorsey book). It made me laugh and had enough action to keep the pace going.
Art
Jan 26, 2014 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FUNNY!!!! Not a surprise from Rick Reilly. Twists and turns from his golfing friends lend interest and surprises. Start early in the day so you can finish before you're in bed; otherwise you read into the night.
John
Oct 18, 2007 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adult Men
Shelves: owned-books
This is the sequel to Missing Links. It wasn't quite as good, but I still read it cover to cover in one evening.
Annette
Sep 20, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat blue in humor, be forewarned
Mike
Apr 13, 2009 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Others by Reilly are better.
Mary Z : )
Oct 06, 2012 Mary Z : ) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Not a golf fan by any means, but I was drawn by the humor. Fun, improbable storyline ... just what I was hoping for!
Mark
Jan 26, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
sequel to my favorite book
Kate
Jan 30, 2008 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-mystery, humor
Amy read it and laughed out loud a few times. She couldn't tell me if it was any good, though. Maybe a quick, easy, and forgettable story.
Steven
Aug 24, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the follow up to Missing Links and Rick Reilly does not disappoint. Back are the same colorful characters as well as some new ones to keep it fresh. I am loving it. Five stars so far.
Julian Abrego
Dec 23, 2015 Julian Abrego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, entertaining read. While the author does a good job of back filling the storyline, I recommend reading the first book, Missing Links, before this one.
Cristy
Apr 17, 2009 Cristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shanks for Nothing, the sequel to Missing Links, was outstanding. The humor and twists in this book make it a very compelling sequel.
Charlie Levinson
If you like to golf, you'll love this book.
Mark Magers
Jan 07, 2011 Mark Magers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a golfer to enjoy this funny book.
James Miller
May 23, 2013 James Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny follow up to missing links
Pedro
Jul 15, 2009 Pedro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly laughed out loud at several points in this book. Aimed at males and golfers, this book is a bit more crude than I had anticipated. Still... a funny book.
J.C.
on CD fabulous reader
Matt
Aug 04, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Very entertaining book and a quick and easy read. A good sequel to Missing Links.
Jason
Jan 29, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny.
Rusty
Aug 12, 2007 Rusty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great follow up to the last book
Ray Rickert
Jun 29, 2013 Ray Rickert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Funny, clever, shallow. Could not put it down.
Randy
Jun 29, 2014 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a golf fan this book is a MUST read! The follow up to "Missing Links" is another hilarious book by Rick Reilly that I cannot recommend enough.
  • Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story
  • The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
  • The Green
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros
  • The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
  • The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport
  • A Nasty Bit of Rough
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • The GM: The Inside Story of a Dream Job and the Nightmares that Go with It