Start by marking “A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)” as Want to Read:
A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)

A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,238 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Illus. in color. "Comic pictures show how the fish rapidly outgrows its bowl, a vase, a cook pot, a bathtub."--The New York Times. ...more
Published August 12th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1961)

Srividya
This is perhaps my most special read of this year. Why? Because this is the first book that my daughter, Shrija, read aloud to me.

As parents, we are used to reading to our kids but when the favour is returned, believe me it is an experience far sweeter than any other in this world!

The story is about a little boy who buys a fish as a pet and is warned not to overfeed it. However, children will remain children and do what they are specifically told not to do. So this boy feeds the fish more than
Brad
Dec 05, 2012 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: children, to-scoutie
I find it hard to read this book without thinking about Helen Palmer Geisel's suicide, which came after Dr. Seuss' adultery with the woman who would become his second wife. At one point in the note she wrote, "I am too old and enmeshed in everything you do and are, that I cannot conceive of life without you," and I felt that sentiment when I read A Fish Out of Water last night.

Palmer (I'll stick with her chosen nom de plume from now on) took an old story of Seuss's -- a story he had abandoned -
Crystal Starr Light
From an adult's perspective, this book is absolutely ridiculous. Feeding a fish too much causes him to grow to an obscene size within hours? I'm sure that is probably what made my parents laugh uncontrollably as they read this to me.

So why do I adore this book? Well, slap me around and call me nostalgic, but Dad read this to me. He had some of the greatest voices when reading this book, and I have so many fond memories of me and my sis sitting on either side of him as he would wail, "WHY DID I F
Rossy
Jun 18, 2016 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Fun and highly original story, it emphasizes in a funny way the importance of following directions.
DadReads
May 19, 2016 DadReads rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I always liked reading the “About the Author” blurb at the end of a book – probably the budding quizzer in me wanted every piece of available information. One of my favourite childhood books was A Fish Out of Water and my version had no such blurb – or if it did it was on a long-lost dust-jacket. So I’ve written one myself:

Helen Palmer was born in New York in 1898. For 40 years she was married to Dr Seuss. They had no children – Helen was unable to. In later years she suffered
Charles
Apr 22, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Just as I remembered.
Eileen
Nov 22, 2014 Eileen rated it it was amazing
In this humorous book, a little boy buys a fish from a pet store. The boy overfeeds his fish. The fish grows and grows and grows.
David Sarkies
Apr 18, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sometimes the professional is right
4 August 2013

This story is about a boy who buys himself a fish and then proceeds to ignore the advise of the pet shop store owner (ironically, or not so ironically, named Mr Carp), succumbs to the guilt trip that the fish lays upon him, and feeds the fish the whole box of fish food. Well, he should have listened to the professional advice because the fish then begins to grow at a rapid rate and nobody knows what to do about it, until Mr Carp comes along and do
Jadalynn
Sep 26, 2011 Jadalynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a cute picture book for primary readers. It’s about a little boy who buys a fish called Otto and the man at the pet store, Mr Carp, warns him not to feed Otto more than a little bit. The boy ends up feeding Otto more than he was told and Otto grows and grows till he finally has to be moved to a pool, and Mr Carp comes over to make Otto small again, we just don’t know how he did it. The simplistic colors in the line drawings might not grab kids attention, but the cleverness of the drawing ...more
Ashley
Dec 09, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
1. Controlled Vocabulary
2. A little boy learns a hard lesson when he doesn’t listen to the pet shop owner and feeds his fish too much! Who knows what can happen if you don’t follow directions!
3. Critique:
a. The strength of this book is the simple presentation and limited word use to get the story across.
b. By using charming pictures and a limited vocabulary, the book becomes a great one for early readers who are still getting used to recognizing and reading words. This way of writing is almost l
Comfort Olajide
Oct 31, 2012 Comfort Olajide rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, vocabulary, fish, pool
I read this book it is about a little boy that pointed a particular fish he wanted to buy in a fish shop and he knew the fish like him and the owner of the shop (Mr. Carp) also said (Otto) the fish like him to. So Mr. Carp taught the little boy how to feed the fish otherwise the fish will have problem if overfed. The little boy took the Otto home and fed him a little food at first then kept watching the fish and he thought Otto the fish is still hungry so he fed him with all the food in the box ...more
Maureen Jehling
Dec 05, 2014 Maureen Jehling rated it really liked it
A Fish Out of Water, by Helen Palmer, is about a young boy who gets a first pet which is a fish. Mr. Carp, the fish salesman, told the boy only to feed his fish a pinch of food or something will happen. But then one day the little boy does feed the fish too much, and something does happen! What do you think could possibly happen? Think about it, but you must read this book yourself, or which your children, to find out what does happen!

I remember reading this book all the time when I was younger!
Sara Bland
Apr 27, 2015 Sara Bland rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A charming little story of a boy who did not follow his teacher's directions and ends up in a big mess. The little boy gets a fish and is told to only feed him one pinch. The boy loves his fish and wants him to have al the food he wants, so he feeds him the whole jar of food! The fish grows and grows. Firefighters, police officers, all sorts of people come to help him. Mr. Carp ends up coming back to save the day. This is a nice lesson on following directions and listening to adults. This book w ...more
BlackhamBoys
Nov 05, 2012 BlackhamBoys rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this many years ago when I was young. As we recent got some goldfish, and they always looked SO hungry (resulting in some overfeeding by the kids) this book popped into my mind and I looked it up and borrowed it from the library.

Bring a "I Can Read" book with the Dr. Suess logo, I was expecting it to be a little more rhymey than it was. But a cute, quick read, with darling illustrations.

... with a reminder to the kids that the story IS make believe, that a fish really wouldn't
Jordyn Agost
Apr 26, 2016 Jordyn Agost rated it liked it
Shelves: great-lessons
A Fish Out Of Water is about a young boy who gets a fish and names him Otto. When the young boy bought the fish, the pet store owner had warned the boy not to overfeed the fish at all. If the boy were to overfeed him, there would be horrible consequences. And that’s exactly what the little boy had done. He over fed the fish and Otto would not stop growing. He outgrew every container that he was put in even the city pool. The town was furious so the pet store owner was asked to save the day.
This
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Shelves: seuss
Dr. Seuss's first wife, Helen Palmer, wrote this story about a little boy who feeds his fish more than the shop keeper told him to feed him. The fish grows and grows. The boy has to call for help to stop the growth.
Alyson
Jun 25, 2013 Alyson rated it it was amazing
I would rate this 10 stars if i could!!! This was my mum's favorite book when she was little. And when I was little I thought this was a real story so I was always careful when I was feeding my fish!;-P
Annie
Nov 30, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book when I was a wee child. A boy feeds his pet goldfish too much and it grows to an unmanageably large size. Recently donated and added to our collection at Kailua Public Library!
Mary
Nov 06, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
One of the books I used to beg my mother to borrow from the Massillon Public Library...followed, of course, by my asking her to read it several times per day until we had to return it.
Yahira Romero
Jan 25, 2014 Yahira Romero rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a boy going to get a fish from Mr. Carp. Mr. Carp explained to the boy what to do and how much food the little fish needed. Well the little boys doesn't listen and his fish grows big. He grows so big that the boy had to find him a new home. The fish didn't fit in pots or flower bowls. The fish had to be taken to a pool and there Mr. Carp fixed the fish and told the boy how he didn't follow the rules and his fish got so big. From there the boy didn't disobey. I enjoyed r ...more
Karen
Jun 25, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I was a kid. It is ridiculous. It is funny. And I learned not to overfeed our fish.
Sarai
Apr 23, 2015 Sarai rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like fish
This is a fishy story.
Melissa
All the fish are swimming in the water, swimming in the water, swimming in the water...bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble, splash!
The great big fish...
The little bitty fish...

(Sung to Wheels on the Bus)
The waves on the sea go up and down, up and down, up and down, the waves on the sea go up and down, all day long.

The shark in the sea goes snap, snap, snap...
The fish in the sea go swish swish, swish...
The boats in the sea to toot, toot, toot...

Last night I caught a fish, but did I say how big
Is it a
Rbettermann
This book is by Helen Palmer and illustrated by P.D. Eastman. Tis is a fun fiction beginner book that I would recommend for grades k-2. This is about a little boy who learns how to feed his new fish the correct amount of fish food. He does need Mr. Carp, the pet store owner, to help him just a bit. I would use this as a picture book story, introducing vocabulary and bring in a gold fish in a bowl for a fun visual that we could keep as a pet in the classroom.
Emily Hawkins
This is one of my 2 year old son's favorites. I remember loving it as a child as well. This story goes from simply "not following directions properly" to totally out of control fish growth. The unnamed hero of our story bravely tries to save his ever-growing fish that he fed too much by transferring him from one container to another until he ends up in a swimming pool. Finally he calls the fish store owner for help.
Ashley
Jan 24, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is a great story for children about the consequences of not following adults' directions and appropriately asking for help when facing such consequences. The way the main character loves and cares about his pet fish despite a harmful decision sets a good example for children and parents alike. The prose is simple and articulate with charming rhyming.
Jbaccon
Jan 24, 2016 Jbaccon rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Never ceases to amaze me how captivating this book is, even for 3 year-olds! It just builds so beautifully and boggles the mind. What did Mr Carp do? Love, love, love the illustrations and there is such voice in the smoothly crafted text. Watch out though for the desire to overfeed the library fish!
Daniela
Mar 17, 2016 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amé las ilustraciones y tipografía de este libro porque me recordó mis libros favoritos de casa de mis abuelos (libros infantiles de los 60). Es un libro que, de haber conocido de niña, habría sido mi favorito y habría releído mil veces.
kristina
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it really liked it
Easy Reader - Fishes

When a little boy overfeeds his new pet goldfish, the fish grows to be quite a problem, and only Mr. Carp, the pet shop owner, can save the day for the boy and his pet.
Milo Dominguez
Dec 01, 2014 Milo Dominguez rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a good book to read on a hot rainy day this is definitely a book to read. I read over and over again and I must say I can't stop. Maybe you will have the same issue as me.
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • The Best Nest
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • A Fly Went by
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book)
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • All by Myself

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself