Start by marking “A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)” as Want to Read:
A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)

A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  11,828 ratings  ·  145 reviews
Illus. in color. "Comic pictures show how the fish rapidly outgrows its bowl, a vase, a cook pot, a bathtub."--The New York Times. ...more
Published August 12th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1961)

Srividya
This is perhaps my most special read of this year. Why? Because this is the first book that my daughter, Shrija, read aloud to me.

As parents, we are used to reading to our kids but when the favour is returned, believe me it is an experience far sweeter than any other in this world!

The story is about a little boy who buys a fish as a pet and is warned not to overfeed it. However, children will remain children and do what they are specifically told not to do. So this boy feeds the fish more than
Brad
I find it hard to read this book without thinking about Helen Palmer Geisel's suicide, which came after Dr. Seuss' adultery with the woman who would become his second wife. At one point in the note she wrote, "I am too old and enmeshed in everything you do and are, that I cannot conceive of life without you," and I felt that sentiment when I read A Fish Out of Water last night.

Palmer (I'll stick with her chosen nom de plume from now on) took an old story of Seuss's -- a story he had abandoned -
Crystal Starr Light
From an adult's perspective, this book is absolutely ridiculous. Feeding a fish too much causes him to grow to an obscene size within hours? I'm sure that is probably what made my parents laugh uncontrollably as they read this to me.

So why do I adore this book? Well, slap me around and call me nostalgic, but Dad read this to me. He had some of the greatest voices when reading this book, and I have so many fond memories of me and my sis sitting on either side of him as he would wail, "WHY DID I F
Ashley
1. Controlled Vocabulary
2. A little boy learns a hard lesson when he doesn’t listen to the pet shop owner and feeds his fish too much! Who knows what can happen if you don’t follow directions!
3. Critique:
a. The strength of this book is the simple presentation and limited word use to get the story across.
b. By using charming pictures and a limited vocabulary, the book becomes a great one for early readers who are still getting used to recognizing and reading words. This way of writing is almost l
Maureen Jehling
A Fish Out of Water, by Helen Palmer, is about a young boy who gets a first pet which is a fish. Mr. Carp, the fish salesman, told the boy only to feed his fish a pinch of food or something will happen. But then one day the little boy does feed the fish too much, and something does happen! What do you think could possibly happen? Think about it, but you must read this book yourself, or which your children, to find out what does happen!

I remember reading this book all the time when I was younger!
Annie
I loved loved loved this book when I was a wee child. A boy feeds his pet goldfish too much and it grows to an unmanageably large size. Recently donated and added to our collection at Kailua Public Library!
Yahira Romero
This book starts off with a boy going to get a fish from Mr. Carp. Mr. Carp explained to the boy what to do and how much food the little fish needed. Well the little boys doesn't listen and his fish grows big. He grows so big that the boy had to find him a new home. The fish didn't fit in pots or flower bowls. The fish had to be taken to a pool and there Mr. Carp fixed the fish and told the boy how he didn't follow the rules and his fish got so big. From there the boy didn't disobey. I enjoyed r ...more
Sara Bland
A charming little story of a boy who did not follow his teacher's directions and ends up in a big mess. The little boy gets a fish and is told to only feed him one pinch. The boy loves his fish and wants him to have al the food he wants, so he feeds him the whole jar of food! The fish grows and grows. Firefighters, police officers, all sorts of people come to help him. Mr. Carp ends up coming back to save the day. This is a nice lesson on following directions and listening to adults. This book w ...more
Charles
Just as I remembered.
David Sarkies
Sometimes the professional is right
4 August 2013

This story is about a boy who buys himself a fish and then proceeds to ignore the advise of the pet shop store owner (ironically, or not so ironically, named Mr Carp), succumbs to the guilt trip that the fish lays upon him, and feeds the fish the whole box of fish food. Well, he should have listened to the professional advice because the fish then begins to grow at a rapid rate and nobody knows what to do about it, until Mr Carp comes along and do
Jadalynn
This is a cute picture book for primary readers. It’s about a little boy who buys a fish called Otto and the man at the pet store, Mr Carp, warns him not to feed Otto more than a little bit. The boy ends up feeding Otto more than he was told and Otto grows and grows till he finally has to be moved to a pool, and Mr Carp comes over to make Otto small again, we just don’t know how he did it. The simplistic colors in the line drawings might not grab kids attention, but the cleverness of the drawing ...more
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about a little boy that pointed a particular fish he wanted to buy in a fish shop and he knew the fish like him and the owner of the shop (Mr. Carp) also said (Otto) the fish like him to. So Mr. Carp taught the little boy how to feed the fish otherwise the fish will have problem if overfed. The little boy took the Otto home and fed him a little food at first then kept watching the fish and he thought Otto the fish is still hungry so he fed him with all the food in the box ...more
Melissa
All the fish are swimming in the water, swimming in the water, swimming in the water...bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble, splash!
The great big fish...
The little bitty fish...

(Sung to Wheels on the Bus)
The waves on the sea go up and down, up and down, up and down, the waves on the sea go up and down, all day long.

The shark in the sea goes snap, snap, snap...
The fish in the sea go swish swish, swish...
The boats in the sea to toot, toot, toot...

Last night I caught a fish, but did I say how big
Is it a
Rbettermann
This book is by Helen Palmer and illustrated by P.D. Eastman. Tis is a fun fiction beginner book that I would recommend for grades k-2. This is about a little boy who learns how to feed his new fish the correct amount of fish food. He does need Mr. Carp, the pet store owner, to help him just a bit. I would use this as a picture book story, introducing vocabulary and bring in a gold fish in a bowl for a fun visual that we could keep as a pet in the classroom.
Susan
It's a cute story that I remember enjoying as a child too. It would have been nice if there had been some female characters, or even a single female character, especially as the book was written by a woman. However, given that times when the book was originally published it is not surprising that this omission occurred.
Milo Dominguez
If you are looking for a good book to read on a hot rainy day this is definitely a book to read. I read over and over again and I must say I can't stop. Maybe you will have the same issue as me.
Eileen Rose
"This fish," I said to Mr.Carp, "I want him. I like him. And he likes me." This was the all-time favorite book of my childhood!
Was it because, I grew up fishing in the Pacific Ocean, off our dock in the backyard? Or, that I got to walk to the corner Aquarium Shop, with my big brother and wonder which of all the brightly colored fish, we'd get to take home?
Perhaps it was the catchy "Fishtale" in all it's simplicity, because it didn't confuse me, like some Dr. Suess' books.
There's even a mora
Mary
One of the books I used to beg my mother to borrow from the Massillon Public Library...followed, of course, by my asking her to read it several times per day until we had to return it.
Eileen
In this humorous book, a little boy buys a fish from a pet store. The boy overfeeds his fish. The fish grows and grows and grows.
Bookwyrm
Another great read aloud book to toddlers. "One pinch, never more than a spot. Or something may happen, you never know what"
Karen
I loved this book when I was a kid. It is ridiculous. It is funny. And I learned not to overfeed our fish.
Leelaa73
I remember loving this book as a child and now I'm reading it to my kids! It's just a fun great kids book.
Tessa Napolitano
enjoyed the humor of this story and the importance of following directions the author emphasizes
Lucy Hernandez
I have to read this book to my kids at least three times a week. It is a good lesson for them to teach that when they don't follow directions, they assume their own consequences. It is important in life to have some structures and to follow patterns. Life is about routines and if you are organized, things are going to flow in an easy way.

Extension:
Bring to class a goldfish, and talk to them about this small creature. How and how much you feed them, what color is it? Is it big or small? Is its sk
Debbie Madrid
Fun and exciting children book which has logic and magic at the same time. Love it
Kaijsa
Love, love, love! My son requested this every night for months. So cute!
Sandie
I have read this book so many times, it was a personal favorite of mine when I was a little girl! I was thrilled to come across it in the libray last week and checked it out to read with my little girl (6) and she really enjoyed it as well.

I thought it would be a first time for her, but it turns out that its still a popular story and she had already heard it in kindergarten this past year.

Fun, fun book! Lots of wonderful pictures of the fish as it is moved from place to place! Highly reccomend
Jada Riutta
A fish out of water is about a boy who went to get a fish as a pet and so he went to the store to buy the fish and so he did buy the fish and he was shown how to feed the fish by the owner but he didn't listen to the dude and he feeds the fish way to much which causes the fish to outgrow everything you put him in.
This boy learned a good lesson on listening to what the rules are to feed your pets and to never over feed them or else. i feel that the kids you would read this too would think is is f
John
This book is a great hit when your kids are just the right age.
BlackhamBoys
I remember reading this many years ago when I was young. As we recent got some goldfish, and they always looked SO hungry (resulting in some overfeeding by the kids) this book popped into my mind and I looked it up and borrowed it from the library.

Bring a "I Can Read" book with the Dr. Suess logo, I was expecting it to be a little more rhymey than it was. But a cute, quick read, with darling illustrations.

... with a reminder to the kids that the story IS make believe, that a fish really wouldn't
  • The Best Nest
  • I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • A Fly Went by
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • All by Myself

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet! (Beginner Books)
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • A Fly Went by
The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life The Enneagram in Love and Work: Understanding Your Intimate and Business Relationships The Enneagram Advantage: Putting the 9 Personality Types to Work in the Office Inner Knowing The Pocket Enneagram: Understanding the 9 Types of people