Start by marking “The Constitution of the United States of America” as Want to Read:
The Constitution of the United States of America

The Constitution of the United States of America

4.53  ·  Rating Details ·  18,424 Ratings  ·  301 Reviews

The complete text of the United States Constitution, including all of the amendments.

Published January 1st 1970 by Applewood Books (first published 1787)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
216th out of 16,542 books — 79,770 voters
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan SwiftRobinson Crusoe by Daniel DefoeCandide by VoltaireThe Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von GoetheLes Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise Choderlos d...
Best Books of the 18th Century
6th out of 195 books — 748 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
TheConstitution

Has Goodreads got a new recommendations algorithm?! This seemed waaaaay smarter than usual...
Peter Macinnis
May 15, 2014 Peter Macinnis rated it it was amazing
It might seem odd that an Australian would list this—and if you look at the shelves I have it on, Americans may perceive one apparent inconsistency. Folks, if you see 'odd' or 'inconsistent', you don't know the full story.

Because Britain had (and has) no written constitution, the Australian constitutional conventions needed to look closely at other examples, and high on their list was the US Constitution.

To be blunt, Australia's founding fathers (no women were allowed in) followed the US Constit
Sidharth Vardhan
Sep 29, 2016 Sidharth Vardhan rated it really liked it
Shelves: usa, non-fiction
Will an American lose his citizenship if he one-stars this book?
Jeff
Aug 02, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing
I'm gonna take the first step to understand the laws of the land. Mabey if more people read and studied this book, we would not have the shit-hole government that we do.
Charl(ie|es)
Mar 23, 2014 Charl(ie|es) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
Extremely antiquated and obfuscated. Predictable ending and almost always misinterpreted. I'm hoping the 2nd edition is revised to make it more relevant and useful to the people it was supposedly written for.
Brian
Dec 21, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015, history
I wanted to find some stuff I didn't know but this version excluded ammendments. I want to read the full version some day. I like knowing my constitutional rights but I didn't find anything I didn't know in this original version. The version lays out the original plan of government. I learned we are protected by the constitution when we talk about how much we make at work. I wanted to learn more.

I noted a couple excerpts:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 12, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Somehow I don't look at this as a "book" it's more of a document. But I do wish every American would read it. Get through the construction parts, see what's been changed over the life of our country by reading the amendments (the shameful attempt to allow slavery, the repudiation of slavery. the change from senators being selected by the house to being elected directly, etc., etc.).

Read, understand and treasure the rights guaranteed to every American in the Bill of Rights...note that, "The Bill
Ezra
Oct 12, 2016 Ezra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans
WOW! What a piece of work. Twists, turns, cliffhangers! This will really leave the Nation on the edge of its seat.
Cordell
Aug 26, 2009 Cordell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most important political document ever created. Unfortunatly it is not as widely read as it should be. Our (USA) government has gone wildly past its oritional scope. More people should read the actual constitution to understand how simple government was meant to be. For example Article 1 section 8 lists the powers of the Congress. There are only 18 of them. Makes me think where does it get the power to take my money and redistribut it to cash for clunkers.

Here it is.

The Congress shall have
Vaishali Joglekar
Jun 13, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-history
It's about time I read this, and so grateful. Only as an experienced adult - after being on countless committees & drafting agreements - do I appreciate this expertly crafted work. Got chills reciting the President's Inaugural Oath!

Refreshers from the original document :
-----------------------

"This Constitution... shall be the supreme Law of the Land"

“The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand”

"The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and su
Michael
This is the first time that I've read the Constitution simply because I wanted to read it, and it sure won't be the last. Every citizen of the United States should study this brilliant document closely, because if we don't know and understand it, the rights that it guarantees us will be taken from us. I think most people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of this document. It was designed, not to give the government power, but to restrict the government's power. To give a limit ...more
Kim Blankenship
Bailee
Jun 12, 2016 Bailee rated it liked it
flawed for sure
Clayton Chase
Jul 25, 2011 Clayton Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it. I wish Congress would too.
DJ Harris
May 03, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The Entire World!
Dave Schultz
Aug 22, 2015 Dave Schultz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 stars is based on the fact that the bill of rights not included in this printing. the actual document is obviously 5 stars.
Christy
Jan 08, 2010 Christy rated it it was amazing
The Constution is truly a living document from scholars who knew the history of the world. They knew what kind of government worked and what didn't. They knew what went wrong and did all they could not repeat history. Unfortulately the majority of American people don't know history and are hell-bent on adding America to the list of nations with a tragic decline.

My thoughts start with the Legislative branch. Article 1 Section 8 defines the limited powers congress is given. The clause given “to p
Davis
May 31, 2009 Davis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
The founding documents of this country as illuminating as they are meaningful. They get a 5 star for many reasons. Over 200 years ago, the greatest men our country have known sat down to hammer out how their country would be ran; and they failed. After that, they had a better idea of what worked and what did. These men realized we needed a strong central government. Federal government needed to have the power and carry out wars; allowing the states to much freedom was dangerous as was leaving ...more
Greg
Aug 18, 2011 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five-star rating has nothing to do with literary merit and should really just be seen as me chanting "USA! USA!"

Still, it's important to read and understand this stuff.
Casey Wheeler
Apr 29, 2013 Casey Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I just reread the Constitution for the first time in many years. What caused me to do it was that I was tired of hearing all of the politician, political pundits and special interest groups take small sections of it and spin it to their own purposes. We have become a country of political extremes with little or no room for compromise.

Our forefathers were very enlightened for their time in developing the original document. The preamble still gives me goosebumps:

We the People of the United States,
Sean McBride
Apr 22, 2012 Sean McBride rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studying
I feel weird rating the constitution. Just saying.

I had never actually gone through and read the dang thing, so in an effort to expand upon my education (and to be truthful, to get through some books I haven't read and are languishing on my shelves) I decided to delve into it. First of all it's amazing to me how lose our current government is with some of these principles. Undoubtedly the framers wrote the thing to be a little ambiguous, but because power is persuasive people bend the understand
Sheila
Nov 20, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
Okay, so how am I supposed to "review" this? I mean, its the Constitution. It is an important document for the United States. But I mean, really, am I supposed to say, "Wow, that James Madison was da-bomb! He really knew what he wanted to say!", or "Yowza, those founding fathers had their shit together!". And truthfully, that last one would not apply, because they initially missed a lot of important things, hence the reason the Bill of Rights was added to the original Constitution so quickly ...more
Raleighhunter
Oct 01, 2009 Raleighhunter rated it it was amazing
If you are an American, you need to know it and exactly how it came about. Read it. Read the Federalist Papers that helped push it into existence. Read about events that pushed it into existence like Shays Rebellion. Heck, read the Articles of Confederation to give great insights to the Constitution.

Most Americans I talk to have precious little insight to the Constitution.
Bart Masciale
Jul 15, 2013 Bart Masciale rated it it was amazing
Jerrica
Sep 24, 2015 Jerrica rated it it was amazing
FIVE STARS FOR FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lani
Nov 28, 2008 Lani rated it it was amazing
I just wish more Americans knew what this said, and did more to make sure our country was sticking to it. I think it's "handing by a thread" right now.

I'd recommend it for any American, or non-American
Adam
Aug 22, 2011 Adam added it
The story was lacking. Still found it compelling, though.
Sara
Mar 12, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
Always good to brush up on how our country started.
RK Byers
May 25, 2010 RK Byers rated it liked it
a lot of good ideas. except, you know, the 3/5ths part.
The real government 36 31 May 30, 2013 07:08PM
  • Two Treatises of Government
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • The Law
  • The Conscience of a Conservative
  • Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
  • Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine
  • Flesh Code: Vol. I
  • The Real George Washington
  • George Washington's Farewell Address
  • The Asperkid's Launch Pad: Home Design to Empower Everyday Superheroes
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
The term Founding Fathers of the United States of America refers broadly to the individuals of the Thirteen British Colonies in North America who led the American Revolution against the authority of the British Crown and established the United States of America. It is also used more narrowly, referring specifically to those who either signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776 or who were dele ...more
More about Founding Fathers...

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” 89 likes
“That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” 3 likes