Start by marking “Monkey And Me” as Want to Read:
Monkey And Me

Monkey And Me

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,521 ratings  ·  170 reviews
A cheeky little girl and her toy monkey swing irresistibly through the pages of this playful book. Young children will love guessing what animal they are pretending to be, before shouting out the answers as the pages are turned to reveal the real creatures.
Published April 6th 2007 by MacMillan UK (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey And Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey And Me

Tiffany Pennington
Emily Garvett does a wonderful job with telling and illustrating Monkey and Me. I love the use of play that the child uses in pretending to be like the animals they are going to see.

From waddling like penguins to hoping and carrying the monkey like a kangaroo. From hanging upside down like a bat to holding onto each other like elephants following behind each other. From hanging around just like a monkey to falling asleep on one another.

I really love the use of shading and showing how the little
Young readers will enjoy the repetition and sing-song rhythm of Monkey and Me. They can also guess which animal the little girl and her monkey are pretending to be, and follow along by acting like the animals themselves. The whimsical illustrations add to the fun and creativity of this book.

Summary from SPL: A little girl and her toy monkey love imitating different animals, everything from jumping like kangaroos to waddling like penguins.

Booklist: This review was positive about the “rhythmic, pa
Janessa
I love Gravett's 'Orange Pear Apple Bear' and its artistic play on shapes, colors, and an adorable bear, so when I saw 'Monkey and Me'on the shelf at a favorite bookstore, I was excited to open the binding and take a peek. I was instantly delighted by this simple, engaging story. The artwork and storyline follow the companionship between a girl and her toy monkey as they are off to see different animals. The repetition in the text pulls young readers into a feeling of suspense, while the girl an ...more
Gwen the Librarian
The generally wonderful Emily Gravett has a fun new picturebook that works perfectly for the toddler set. Monkey and Me is a simple text about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. Each page features the same rhyme leading up to a different animal that the two are pretending to be. Children can try to guess the animal based on the illustrated actions. The watercolor illustrations are sweet and exhuberant.
Avrelia
I fell in love with this book with the first sight, and my son (then 16-months old) too. For the last several months this book travels from the library and back. I will most likely have to buy it at the end.

The pictures are cheerful, lively and tell the story of a girl playing with her toy monkey all by themselves, but words in the simple sentences, repeating in merry rhythm help along the way.
Becky
My Lil' Peeps storytime loved this book. The text offers repetition - great for print motivation. Children get involved in telling the story. The pictures give clues as to what animal might be next, and the kids in my storytime liked moving like the animals.
Miriam
Super-cute drawings, super-boring repeating text.

This would work best for a child at the first stages of learning to read, as it not only uses the same few words over and over but also has visual cues to help guess the non-repeated words.
Kate Hastings
Will be a hit in music and movement... a girl and her monkey move and give hints as to what animal they "see." Picture book charades. Pair with yoga, too?
Amy Musser
In this movement oriented story a young girl and her stuffed monkey toy imitate their favorite zoo animals from elephants to kangaroos, penguins to bats, and of course, monkeys. The short, playful text uses a repeated chorus, “Monkey and me / Monkey and me / Monkey and me / we went to see / we went to see…” A great addition to a toddler storytime because Gravett’s text and realistic illustrations invite interaction. It would also be fun to use this for a yoga storytime.

Read More at Picture-Book-
Nojood Alsudairi
A good book for begenning readers. As usual, the illustrations are fabulous.
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: August 30th, 2014

Author: Emily Gravett

Title: Monkey and Me

Plot: Gravett's Monkey and Me focuses on a little girl, a monkey and their adventures going to see various types of animals.

Setting: No Setting Given

Characters: Unnamed Girl; monkey

Point-of-View: First Person

Theme: Friendship

Style: A repetitive children's book.

Copyright: 2007

Notes: This book would be a great book for little kids because it is repetitive and the focus is more on the illustrations than the actual text. If you have
Camille Ryckman
Monkey and Me
Brief summary This is a story of what a little girl and her monkey on their walk.
Annotation - The use of repetition and of animals makes this a good read for children who like to pretend.
Age appropriateness 2-4 years old
Connection to six early literacy skills
Phonological awareness - The repetition of sounds in Monkey and Me help children learn the m sound
Opinion - This book is pretty good for a simple story without a lot of text. The large print of each of the animals she sees may
Catherine
Nov 13, 2010 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children.
Shelves: picture-books
Lauren
Monkey and Me was a touching story about a little girl and her beloved stuffed monkey. Throughout this book, the two characters explore different animals by acting them out while always keeping the readers excited for what is next. For example, the little girl will say "Monkey and me, Monkey and me, Monkey and me we want to see, we want to see some..." and the animal they want to see is discovered in a fun and colorful way when the reader turns the page. I would reconmend this book to small chil ...more
Monica DeBlieck
This was an adorable little story about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. The two are partners in crime throughout the book, acting out different animals and keeping readers guessing what is to come next. Every couple of pages the girl and her monkey are immitating a specific type of animal and the text says, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." After the readers sees the immitations and reads the lines, she may be able to guess what animal is ...more
Kristen
I thought Monkey and Me was a cute and very fun book that young children would easily be able to relate to. Monkey and Me is told from the point of view of a little girl who is sharing the adventures that she and her stuffed monkey have when they go to see animals. The little girl and her monkey and act out various motions of different animals as the little girl says, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." Upon turning the page, the reader then see ...more
Heidi
This has such fabulous storytime potential--for toddler and preschool. A good lap-read, too. Very repetitive in words, yes, but that word work well early readers, as well as getting the kids to chant along with you. You could get them to guess the next animal. And every time they see an animal, the kids could act out something (march like penguins, jump like kangaroos, etc.) Oh, it makes me so sad that I have to wait a few more months before my next storytime!

2/1/31 I mentioned the ideas I'd had
Robin
My often mentioned obsession with looking for used books in good condition at Savers lead me to this title. Of course I recognized the author's name Emily Gravett because I've enjoyed other books that she has created. This definitely has a place in my story time roster. Now if I could only find room on the shelf in my personal library!
Mary Wirt
Monkey and "Me" seem to have gone to the zoo to see the animals. While there they see and act like penguins, kangaroos, bats, elephants, and monkeys. After so much fun, monkey and "me" are ready to sleep.
A fun book with lots of repetition for kids and families to read together, weather in a storytime setting or a bedtime story.
Kelsey
A little girl and her stuffed monkey visit animals like elephants, penguins and kangaroos. The little girl progressively tires with each animal until she falls asleep coloring. The book features a short and sweet repetitive rhyme and humorous animal illustrations. It would be good for encouraging print motivation.
Becca Noelle
I loved the book Monkey and Me. It is a great children's book. Every other page has the rhythm of "Monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." The illustrations on each page show the little girl and her little monkey acting out the next animals behavior. The friends waddle, bounce, stomp, and fly like the animals they go to see. I really like the set up of this book. The adorable pictures are truly beneficial to the story. They give children a chance to follow along wit ...more
Emkoshka
This book caught my eye because my favourite toy as a child was a long-limbed monkey just like the one depicted, except he wore a red-striped shirt and blue overalls. This was a fun and clever tale (pardon the pun!) of visiting the animals at the zoo, and behaving like them too! Now where is my monkey?
Magila
Gravett, the amazing illustrator whose stories leave quite a bit to be desired, struck again. Trust me when I say that it pains me to give two stars to anything that stars a monkey! The suggestion of a monkey in a story is enough to merit a three from me in most circumstances. Nearly all circumstances.

Sadly, this book didn't do it for me. I believe that young girls will find it far more entertaining than I did. Mostly because of the protagonist.

Also, as a point of fact, I also think that the r
OOO. This is a GREAT book for baby/toddler storytime. It's fun, the rhythm is consistent, and there are tres fun pictures. I like it better than Apple Pear, Orange Bear, because, honestly, it reminds me of my nieces. The kids that I've shared this book with LOVE it. Ok, maybe not as much as Claudia Rueda's "Let's Play In The Forest", but, hey, for the 2-3 year old set, this book is nearly perfect!

Revision: I did this book AGAIN today and the 1-2 year olds mobbed me. Seriously-I thought that ther
Kristy
The kids had fun with repeating "monkey and me" but got a bit confused with the "we went to see, we went to see some" part. Every new animal presented was a fun surprise for the kiddos, and they loved yelling it out.

Good for pre-k storytime.
Jodi
One of our favourite books. Great rhythm to the story with lots of fun repetition. You can really explore the pictures with your child as there is lots going on in each image (actions, emotions and hints to what may be on the next page).
MerryMeerkat
Moneky and Me A cute little children's book. I love the art. I'd give the art 5 stars and the story three stars because there isn't much to the story, no depth. ...more
Kim Miller
I liked the repetition and the predictability of this text - good for a young reader. The pages with the animals are fun and loud, making it a fun contrast with the other pages.
Erin
An adorable girl and her toy monkey pretend to be all sorts of animals. Good for movement and interaction with readers.

Great for preschool or toddler storytimes.
June
Jan 12, 2015 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
A simple story with lots of repetition that I used for laptime. 1/25/12

Used again, works a little better with the toddlers than the babies, though maybe the toddler was a smaller group and the parents were in to it more. 12/19/12

Used again for toy lap time, since I can always do the 3 little Monkeys with the glove afterwards... 1/14/14

Used this for Lap Time for a Monkey program, had a large, participatory group. 7/22/14

Used again since, 5 little monkeys song is always a hit. One girl was really
  • Clip-Clop
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Hello, Day!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • The Seals on the Bus
Emily has finished her final year of an illustration degree at Brighton University.
She lives in Brighton with her daughter.
More about Emily Gravett...
Orange Pear Apple Bear The Odd Egg Wolves Blue Chameleon Dogs