Start by marking “Monkey And Me” as Want to Read:
Monkey And Me

Monkey And Me

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,221 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
A cheeky little girl and her toy monkey swing irresistibly through the pages of this playful book. Young children will love guessing what animal they are pretending to be, before shouting out the answers as the pages are turned to reveal the real creatures.
Published April 6th 2007 by MacMillan UK (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey And Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey And Me

Janessa
Mar 29, 2008 Janessa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love Gravett's 'Orange Pear Apple Bear' and its artistic play on shapes, colors, and an adorable bear, so when I saw 'Monkey and Me'on the shelf at a favorite bookstore, I was excited to open the binding and take a peek. I was instantly delighted by this simple, engaging story. The artwork and storyline follow the companionship between a girl and her toy monkey as they are off to see different animals. The repetition in the text pulls young readers into a feeling of suspense, while the girl an ...more
Tiffany Fox
Jan 17, 2015 Tiffany Fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Garvett does a wonderful job with telling and illustrating Monkey and Me. I love the use of play that the child uses in pretending to be like the animals they are going to see.

From waddling like penguins to hoping and carrying the monkey like a kangaroo. From hanging upside down like a bat to holding onto each other like elephants following behind each other. From hanging around just like a monkey to falling asleep on one another.

I really love the use of shading and showing how the little
Apr 06, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Young readers will enjoy the repetition and sing-song rhythm of Monkey and Me. They can also guess which animal the little girl and her monkey are pretending to be, and follow along by acting like the animals themselves. The whimsical illustrations add to the fun and creativity of this book.

Summary from SPL: A little girl and her toy monkey love imitating different animals, everything from jumping like kangaroos to waddling like penguins.

Booklist: This review was positive about the “rhythmic, pa
Dani
Jan 14, 2017 Dani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Extremely beginner readers
A little girl and her stuffed monkey pretend to be different animals... until they are a too sleepy to play any longer.

I found the drawings to be marvelous and worth owning this book for them alone! I love the sketchy vibe of the illustrations paired with the softness of watercolor or almost chalk like colors. I was a little disappointed in the text of the story. I don't mind repetitive or sing-song words but none of the words the child learns is of much worth.

I would have liked some strong ver
Gwen the Librarian
May 07, 2008 Gwen the Librarian rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The generally wonderful Emily Gravett has a fun new picturebook that works perfectly for the toddler set. Monkey and Me is a simple text about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. Each page features the same rhyme leading up to a different animal that the two are pretending to be. Children can try to guess the animal based on the illustrated actions. The watercolor illustrations are sweet and exhuberant.
Avrelia
Jun 09, 2009 Avrelia rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book with the first sight, and my son (then 16-months old) too. For the last several months this book travels from the library and back. I will most likely have to buy it at the end.

The pictures are cheerful, lively and tell the story of a girl playing with her toy monkey all by themselves, but words in the simple sentences, repeating in merry rhythm help along the way.
Miriam
Oct 11, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Super-cute drawings, super-boring repeating text.

This would work best for a child at the first stages of learning to read, as it not only uses the same few words over and over but also has visual cues to help guess the non-repeated words.
Becky
Jul 24, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
My Lil' Peeps storytime loved this book. The text offers repetition - great for print motivation. Children get involved in telling the story. The pictures give clues as to what animal might be next, and the kids in my storytime liked moving like the animals.
Kate Hastings
Mar 10, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Will be a hit in music and movement... a girl and her monkey move and give hints as to what animal they "see." Picture book charades. Pair with yoga, too?
Nojood Alsudairi
Jul 24, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book for begenning readers. As usual, the illustrations are fabulous.
Michaila
Dec 15, 2016 Michaila rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is repetitive and can be used as a prediction book for Kindergarteners. I would read the book and and students would guess what animal monkey and the girl are going to see next. I could also call on students one at a time to act out what animal they think monkey and the girl will see next. Or, when we reveal which animal monkey and the girl see, students can act out that animal. (I would have to be really good at setting expectations.)

This book is about a girl and her monkey who see m
Christy
Mar 03, 2017 Christy rated it it was amazing
Olivia Evans
Plot Summary: A little girl takes us on a fun and imaginative adventure with her toy monkey and introduces us to multiple new ‘friends’ along the way. The author, Emily Gravett, uses rhyming and repetition to invite kids to read along. Your kids will be chanting “Monkey and me. Monkey and me..”before you know it! Throughout the adventure, we get to meet all kinds of animals such as penguins, kangaroos, and bats! Clearly the adventure tired the little girl and her toy monkey out because the story ...more
Kristen
Sep 03, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
I thought Monkey and Me was a cute and very fun book that young children would easily be able to relate to. Monkey and Me is told from the point of view of a little girl who is sharing the adventures that she and her stuffed monkey have when they go to see animals. The little girl and her monkey and act out various motions of different animals as the little girl says, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." Upon turning the page, the reader then see ...more
Brooke
Nov 10, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
The repetition and the catchy sing-song rhythm of this book inspires children to want to interact and join in with the reading. Children are inspired by the main character to engage physically with the book as they connect movements to describe the animals presented on each page. Through the course of the reading, a little girl and her toy monkey mimic different animals as they explain the animal they went to see. This is a very effective rhythmic, patterned text to read with children during the ...more
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 Karen rated it liked it
Great read aloud for preschoolers with a shorter attention span. The kids will love to guess who they will see next.
Monica DeBlieck
Sep 20, 2010 Monica DeBlieck rated it really liked it
This was an adorable little story about a little girl and her stuffed monkey. The two are partners in crime throughout the book, acting out different animals and keeping readers guessing what is to come next. Every couple of pages the girl and her monkey are immitating a specific type of animal and the text says, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." After the readers sees the immitations and reads the lines, she may be able to guess what animal is ...more
Heidi-Marie
This has such fabulous storytime potential--for toddler and preschool. A good lap-read, too. Very repetitive in words, yes, but that word work well early readers, as well as getting the kids to chant along with you. You could get them to guess the next animal. And every time they see an animal, the kids could act out something (march like penguins, jump like kangaroos, etc.) Oh, it makes me so sad that I have to wait a few more months before my next storytime!

2/1/31 I mentioned the ideas I'd had
Catherine
Nov 13, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children.
Lauren
Sep 21, 2010 Lauren rated it liked it
Monkey and Me was a touching story about a little girl and her beloved stuffed monkey. Throughout this book, the two characters explore different animals by acting them out while always keeping the readers excited for what is next. For example, the little girl will say "Monkey and me, Monkey and me, Monkey and me we want to see, we want to see some..." and the animal they want to see is discovered in a fun and colorful way when the reader turns the page. I would reconmend this book to small chil ...more
Andrew Wells
Plot Summary:
This story starts of with a little girl and her monkey. It continues with the two going through adventures to see a number of different animals such as Penguins, Kangaroos, Bats, Elephants , and Monkeys. After the numerous adventures, it ends with the two of them asleep.
Literary Merit: Style
The way that Emily Gravett organizes the text throughout the story truly makes a difference. She aligns the sentences when talking about the monkey and the girl. It makes it easier for beginne
Becca Noelle
Sep 21, 2010 Becca Noelle rated it liked it
I loved the book Monkey and Me. It is a great children's book. Every other page has the rhythm of "Monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some..." The illustrations on each page show the little girl and her little monkey acting out the next animals behavior. The friends waddle, bounce, stomp, and fly like the animals they go to see. I really like the set up of this book. The adorable pictures are truly beneficial to the story. They give children a chance to follow along wit ...more
Magila
Jan 08, 2013 Magila rated it it was ok
Gravett, the amazing illustrator whose stories leave quite a bit to be desired, struck again. Trust me when I say that it pains me to give two stars to anything that stars a monkey! The suggestion of a monkey in a story is enough to merit a three from me in most circumstances. Nearly all circumstances.

Sadly, this book didn't do it for me. I believe that young girls will find it far more entertaining than I did. Mostly because of the protagonist.

Also, as a point of fact, I also think that the r
May 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
OOO. This is a GREAT book for baby/toddler storytime. It's fun, the rhythm is consistent, and there are tres fun pictures. I like it better than Apple Pear, Orange Bear, because, honestly, it reminds me of my nieces. The kids that I've shared this book with LOVE it. Ok, maybe not as much as Claudia Rueda's "Let's Play In The Forest", but, hey, for the 2-3 year old set, this book is nearly perfect!

Revision: I did this book AGAIN today and the 1-2 year olds mobbed me. Seriously-I thought that ther
June
Jan 25, 2012 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
A simple story with lots of repetition that I used for laptime. 1/25/12

Used again, works a little better with the toddlers than the babies, though maybe the toddler was a smaller group and the parents were in to it more. 12/19/12

Used again for toy lap time, since I can always do the 3 little Monkeys with the glove afterwards... 1/14/14

Used this for Lap Time for a Monkey program, had a large, participatory group. 7/22/14

Used again since, 5 little monkeys song is always a hit. One girl was really
Rebecca Ann
This book was simple but great! There is rhyme, repetition, and the familiar color scheme/illustrative style from Wolf Won't Bite! andWolves. I think anyone who read this book would be charmed by it, especially pre k kids.

Update: I used this for a preschool Curious George story time. We had a staff member dressed up as curious George who would do the actions of the upcoming animal. It was fantastic!
Tara
Nov 15, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
This book is very simple. The same "monkey and me" refrain is written over and over again. I wasn't all that impressed after the first reading but it really grew on me and my 11 month old loves it. It's a quick and energetic read that introduces a variety of animals. The drawings are fun showing the girl and her monkey doll behaving like the animals to be introduced on the next page. This opens it up for an older child to guess which animal is coming up and discuss the behaviours of different an ...more
Storytime Books
Nov 21, 2012 Storytime Books rated it really liked it
I recently got a recommendation to review this book, and it is a cute one! The book is called Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett. In this book there is a little girl and her plush toy monkey. She repeats the phrase “Monkey and me. Monkey and Me. Monkey and me. We went to see. We went to see some…” and then she tells you what animal they went and saw. This book is simple, but really great for young children. The book is easy to read, and will have your child wanting to go see animals at the zoo with ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: August 30th, 2014

Author: Emily Gravett

Title: Monkey and Me

Plot: Gravett's Monkey and Me focuses on a little girl, a monkey and their adventures going to see various types of animals.

Setting: No Setting Given

Characters: Unnamed Girl; monkey

Point-of-View: First Person

Theme: Friendship

Style: A repetitive children's book.