Start by marking “A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming” as Want to Read:
A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  18 reviews

For use with all versions of Linux, including Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too!

Get more done faster, and become a true Linux guru by mastering the command line! Learn from hundreds of realistic, high-quality examples NEW! Coverage of the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools NEW! Expert primer on automating tasks with Perl
Published November 19th 2009 by Prentice Hall (first published July 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Joe Vaughn
Dec 05, 2007 Joe Vaughn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linux Newbies
Excellent is the first word that comes to mind for a primer. While I'm more *nix oriented, this is an awesome starting place for anyone with the savvy to install Linux on a box but doesn't know the hell to do with it afterwards. Unlike the majority of LUGs with replies with RTFM n00b33 replies to basic functionality questions, this book gives practical examples for first-timers and frames knowledge in such a way as to provide newcomers with the ability to ask *smart* questions of those of us who ...more
I have used this book in a class I led at work, and strongly recommend it for people that are interested in developing their Linux proficiency.

This book will not make you a Linux expert. But you will have a solid foundation from which to develop the skills you learn from this book to become that expert over time, after you read this book.

I like this book because it provides ample coverage of its topics. Each chapter is a sort of mini book in and of itself, providing solid coverage of the topic i
It was hardly a practical guide considering there were no examples given to show the codes in action. I also felt that material wasn't covered comprehensively. I've picked up Steve Moritsugu's Practical Unix since, because I was disappointed with this one..and my course required a comprehensive knowledge of UNIX/LINUX commands and utilities..also I wanted to get into shell scripting. So far Steve's book is proving to be 100x better than this one.
I would only recommend this to people who are try
More of a friend than a book.
Evan Snyder
As a programmer who had already spent some time tripping around Linux environments, I found this a most excellent, to-the-point overview of the operating system's baseline functionality, file system, and commands. Explanations were kept direct and simple, which is ideal if, for example, you are already familiar with what ACLs are, but need a quick hit about using them on a Linux box. Extensive command reference at the back.
Zach Klippenstein
A great book for the linux user who wants to learn how to use the shell. Serves as a very detailed, yet easy to read and understand, introduction to bash and tcsh. Definitely made me more productive (and is a great skill to show off at parties). Includes a very handy little command reference, until you get comfortable with man pages ;)
One of the best books I have come across for the UNIX , LINUX "power user". If you really want to understand the shell,text editors (Emacs,Vi),programming tools,sed,gawk then this book is for you. This book is distro neutral, and the examples in the book, will work for any distro ex (fedora,Gentoo,FreeBSD, Debian).
Pretty good book to understand a little of Linux, but not to use as a guide or a reference book. It left alot of important things out, or in some cases the subject that I was looking for was divided in small parts all over the book.
Intense book. Kind of reference of it all. Lots and lots of information. At least you get to know what you're capable of to do.

Its really emerging your keyboard ninja within :) Huge volume but well worth the time.
Rich Tijerina
A great book. I would choose this over Linux in a Nutshell, as it contains everything the other book has, explains clearer, and has more 'practical' info.
An excellent book for learning basic shell scripting and bash and tcsh commands. A must - read for anyone who hopes to one day be a Linux guru.
tnicholson Nicholson
If you want to learn Linux any one of the Sobel books is good. They are all the same just a new cover and distro of the month.
Comprehensive for introducing frequent use commands, shell scripting. Use as a reference book than a textbook
This book is very helpful while learning Linux. I'd imagine it is pretty helpful afterwards too!
Very good book on Linux with very good examples.
Ankit Agrawal
this book is great for learning shell basics
Sep 13, 2012 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tech
The author's style just works for me. Great book.
Gitte marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
don added it
Nov 11, 2015
ThatSo Rayan
ThatSo Rayan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Chris Rittelmeyer
Chris Rittelmeyer is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook
  • UNIX Power Tools
  • The Official Ubuntu Book [With DVD]
  • jQuery in Action
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Art & Science of CSS
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark G. Sobell, author of many best-selling books, including A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sixth Edition, A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux, Third EditionA Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, Third Edition (all from Prentice Hall), has more than thirty years of experience working with UNIX and Linux. He is the president of Sobell Associate ...more
More about Mark G. Sobell...