Start by marking “Down to Earth” as Want to Read:
Down to Earth

Down to Earth

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  425 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
When Michaela Anderson signs up for a parachute jump she gets more than a case of vertigo. Suffering last-minute panic, Michaela's three colleagues go first. But just as she takes her leap of faith, an almighty gale blows up from nowhere. When she returns to the ground, the airfield is deserted.
Published October 14th 2010 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Down to Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to Earth

Before I Fall by Lauren OliverAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsDeadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria StolarzThe Goddess Test by Aimee CarterBetween Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott
Where are thou grass?!?!
66th out of 149 books — 106 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Greenest Books Ever
393rd out of 1,425 books — 453 voters

More lists with this book...

Tamara
Jan 12, 2014 Tamara rated it it was ok
Odd. A good idea and although I didn't really like some of the rather clumsy writing and overly elaborate `scene setting` paragraphs, I was intrigued. But people just don't really talk to each other like that! They don't live like that. The most unbelievable thing was not that the heroine had disappeared into a space time vortex but that any of the characters lived/spoke/behaved/wore/functioned as the author wrote them to. Total nonsense. However I was intrigued by the 're occurring theme of qui ...more
Chrissie
Dec 03, 2012 Chrissie rated it it was ok
The storyline had so much potential, but the book went off on a tangent of relationships, parenting problems and family issues. It wasnt what i was expecting after reading the back cover of the book. I enjoyed reading it, but the story does fall flat in places and didnt have any twists that you dont see coming.
Not the worst book ive read.. but not the best
Chloe
Oct 20, 2010 Chloe rated it really liked it
Michaela Anderson isn’t really a risk taker, but when her company organises a charity parachute jump, she can’t really refuse. When she gets up in the skies, she doesn’t want to jump but after everyone else seems to safely make it down, Michaela decides to take the plunge. But as she plummets back to Earth, a huge gust of wind takes Michaela by surprise. She lands with a bump and is a bit unsure why everything around her seems to have changed. The airfield has disappeared and there’s no sign of ...more
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: library
What the heck have I just read?

The storyline is certainly interesting - girl goes for a parachute jump and when she lands, finds herself six years later in the future - But all the other stuff that comes after is just a whirl wind of huh?. With the reader left to make up their own mind of what really happened.

Angélique
Il me semble que contrairement à certains romans, j'ai demandé celui-ci un peu au pif. Je m'explique, depuis quelque temps j'apprécie réellement le contemporain (peut-être parce que je vieillie). Donc lorsque les éditions l'Archipel m'ont proposé ce roman, je me suis dit c'est du contemporain, pourquoi pas. Et je ne suis globalement pas déçue. J'ai passé un bon moment de lecture. Je remercie donc les éditions l'Archipel pour cet envoi.

Résumons un peu. Michaela Anderson, une jeune Anglaise de 25
Jayne Charles
Sep 15, 2014 Jayne Charles rated it liked it
I liked this, with reservations. It was an easy read based around an intriguing mystery – 20-something office worker Michaela undertakes a charity skydive, and on landing is baffled to discover that 6 years have passed since she jumped from the plane. Her family and friends have changed utterly, and for the most part are hostile to her when she ‘reappears’, believing she abandoned them six years previously.

I felt there were too many inconsistencies in the story for me to wholeheartedly love it.
Kalaiaresi Subbiah
When Michaela Anderson signs up for a charity parachute jump, she gets more than a case of vertigo...

When she returns to the ground, she finds the airfield deserted, her car gone and the seasons mysteriously changed. Posters nearby proclaim Michaela to have been missing for the last six and a half years.
Nath Martin
Jul 21, 2014 Nath Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, dios este libro es genial. Despues de leer esto nunca me lanzaré en paraciadas. Nunca. La historia es muy original y muy entretenida. No puedes parar de leer hasta que lo terminas. El concepto y como se va desarrollando el libro me gusto mucho pero odie el final. Kaela se me hace muy interesante e inteligente, me gusto mucho el personaje. Me encanto Kevin ya que me saco un buen de risas. Abbey y Calum me gustaron mucho porque los dos tienen mucha personalidad. Y bueno, de Matt solo dire que ...more
Jodie
Apr 08, 2012 Jodie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
Just awful. I only finished it because nothing is open and I can't buy a decent book. On the upside this novel has convinced me to purchase an e-reader so I am not caught without a decent book on a long weekend ever again!
Jo
Mar 17, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than Coming Home. I liked the storyline - somthing a bit different and some twists along the way.
Hami
Nov 01, 2015 Hami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voilà un livre assez surprenant que j'ai aimé lire dans l'ensemble. Michaela participe à un saut en parachute avec quelques collègues de travail. Elle flippe un peu et même si à la dernière seconde, elle craint le pire, mademoiselle n'a pas le choix que de sauter. Sauf que voilà, une fois lancée, en plein vol, une bourrasque la dévie de sa trajectoire et quand elle atterrit au sol, il fait nuit et surtout, il n'y a plus personne.
Alors au début, elle pense qu'elle est restée plus longtemps dans
Lesangdeslivres
Oct 13, 2015 Lesangdeslivres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporain

La couverture est vraiment belle, mais quand nous lisons le roman, nous l’aurions vue différemment.

Quand nous commençons ce livre, nous sommes ravis de constater que les chapitres sont assez courts, ce qui aide grandement à la lecture. Ensuite, nous rentrons facilement dans l’histoire grâce à la plume fluide et simple de l’auteure.
Au départ de cette histoire, nous sommes tout de suite au cœur de l’action. Nous rencontrons Michaela, l’héroïne de ce roman et
Karen Whittard
Oct 06, 2015 Karen Whittard rated it really liked it
I have throughly enjoyed all of Melanie Rose books. They are always filled with lots of magic and intrigue. This story is no exception Michaela has signed up for a charity parachute single person jump with a few colleagues from work. Everything is going fine until it comes time for Michaela to do her jump. As Michaela takes her leap of faith a massive gust of wind a bit like a tornado blows up from nowhere. When Michaela finally gets to the ground she noticed that it is pitch black, none of her ...more
Viohlet
I really loved this. It was an emotional roller-coaster and I loved every second of this. I couldn't put it down, I absolutely had to keep reading to find out what happened to Michaela, and what would happen next.

I wasn't able to predict anything in this, and I liked that. I liked not knowing how it would all turn out long before it happened.

I loved the relationship between Matt and Michaela. Sometimes, it's just nice to have a 'love at first sight' plot where they don't fuck around, and just ge
Sally
Feb 16, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it
I think I need a shelf for "look, it's a grown-up book for a change!" ;) This is one of those rare few that is not getting added to the masses of YA and childrens' books - and it's not GLBT, either! Quite a rarity indeed!

But what it was, was bloody awesome, that's what. Growing up, I had a few years of obsession with The Flight of the Navigator and have always been interested in Rip van Winkle-like stories; so when I heard what this book was about I was definitely very intrigued to read it. Mich
Tasha
Oct 20, 2010 Tasha rated it liked it
Down To Earth is a unique book with an interesting plot. There's plenty going on throughout the whole book to keep the pages turning. I liked that the reason behind Michaela's disappearance was a mystery to both the characters and the reader. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of detail included - there's a 'science bit' and a couple of other parts, such as when Abbey is using Tarot cards, that were clearly well researched. However, I did feel that maybe the explanations given where a littl ...more
Kerrie-ann
Jodie (Books for Company)
Oct 18, 2010 Jodie (Books for Company) rated it it was amazing
Melanie Rose has set high standards for herself from my point of view with her previous two books and after reading this she has yet to fail with coming up with an interesting, unique plot that has kept me gripped all the way through, this book doesn’t disappoint!
The futher you get into this book more things arise and are discovered about the characters and even though Michaela finding out what happened to the 6 and half years of her life is the main storyline in this book there are many other s
Sian
Aug 10, 2013 Sian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
If I could I would have marked at 2.5 stars.

Well am going to start the review of this off with a negative. I was really quite enjoying this until the ending or lack of it in this case.

Michaela was a likeable character and along with her character as the reader I was also confused about what on earth had happened to her. I also liked the other secondary characters of Callum, Matt, Abby etc even though I would have liked more info and background on all of them and more in depth details of what had
Kylie Atkinson
Dec 26, 2014 Kylie Atkinson rated it it was ok
This book certainly intrigued me when I picked it up and it starts off really well then plateaus and kind of goes off on a different tangent. So much potential with a unique storyline but failed to gather any momentum after the first third of the book. I didn't feel like the ending was tied up well, left me up in the air (without a parachute). Average. (I used this as number 14 on the Goodreads Book Bingo challenge - A book set on a different continent)

Jycel
May 01, 2013 Jycel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Hace un momento comentaba lo bien que le sienta al clásico "Jane Eyre" el uso de la primera persona. Bien, este es el caso al contrario, en "Caída Libre" está muy mal llevada.

No he llegado a empatizar con la protagonista. Para mí, éste es el problema principal del libro. La manera que tiene de pensar e incluso de exteriorizar los pensamientos se me ha hecho muy ajena, y no ha conseguido hacerme entrar en el libro. Es más, me ha aburrido bastante.

La historia prometía muchísimo. Sin embargo, y ést
AvonBooksUK

Suffering last-minute panic, Michaela’s three colleagues go first. But just as she takes her leap of faith, an almighty gale blows up from nowhere.

When she returns to the ground, she finds the airfield deserted, her car gone and the seasons mysteriously changed. Posters nearby proclaim Michaela to have been missing for the last six and a half years…

But Michaela is determined to find out the truth. Was she k
Lisa
Jan 17, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
I read this book pretty quickly - just over one day. Michaela is roped into doing a team-building parachute jump but when she jumps out of her plane, she wakes up in an apparently different time but not place. She is told that she has been missing for 6.5 years and life has moved on without her. The book recounts her previous life, Michaela's attempts to find out what really happened at the parachute jump and hints at her future to come. I'm not sure if the author got bored with her own work, ba ...more
Val n.n
Nov 10, 2015 Val n.n rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La idea central de que al aterrizar de un salto en paracaídas han pasado 6 años es realmente buena. Pero a mi parecer le ha faltado mucho ya que en la mayor parte del libro se desvían a relaciones amorosas,familiares... y tiende a ser predecible y monótono. No digo que sea malo, simplemente no fue lo que esperaba. Me hubiera gustado que explotaran más la idea principal.
Paolita Arce
Feb 01, 2015 Paolita Arce rated it liked it
El libro en general es muy bueno, me gustó mucho el misterio de la situación. Sin embargo, algo que no me gustó es que todo el mundo le haya echado la culpa a Michaela de lo sucedido en sus vidas, como si ella hubiera decidido desaparecer porque si. Al final, no sé que le pasó realmente y eso me intriga un poco...
Linda
Jan 25, 2016 Linda added it
This book had me, I couldn't put it down, well, not for long. A girl has to eat and do other stuff, lol. I was enthralled by what happened to Michaela and why and then all the connections with other people and how it all fit together was brilliant. What a great read!
Jess
Sep 26, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
Buen libro.
Me pareció muy original, una lectura fácil y entretenida.
Me llamó mucho la atención toda la información que tiene, y me hizo investigar parte, me gustó eso.
Por eso los personajes que me gustaron más fueron Abbey y Kevin.
Sam
Aug 09, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
I had a hard time putting this book down. Each chapter presented a new twist to the plot that kept me wanting to read. The main character in the book jumps from a plane and when she lands on the ground she has literally lost 6 years of her life. Everyone has been looking for her for six long years and the last thing she remembers is jumping from the plane. This would be a nightmare for anyone! But what is really weird about the story is that most everyone is upset with her for disappearing and t ...more
Carlos Reges
Sep 24, 2014 Carlos Reges rated it liked it
Muy fácil leer ciencia ficción con romance. De verdad era extraño, a veces enredado, pero fue demasiado sencillo. No sé si recomendarlo o dejarlo por ahí.
Nicole Chan
Jan 10, 2013 Nicole Chan rated it it was amazing
This book is really awesome! If you like supernatural books like me, you will like this book! It really pulls you into the book and make you want to read on, wanting to know why Michaela skipped 6 and 1/2 years when she just did a simple parachute jump. You might feel lost at first, like me, but later on you will be able to follow the story. I simply loved the plot and the way it is expressed. It is so complicated yet so interesting. I felt as if I was really at the scene. It feels so real that ...more
  • Dear Maggie
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • All About Seduction
  • Royal Weddings
  • Molly's Millions
  • Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack, #1)
  • Fast & Loose (Kentucky Derby, #1)
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • The Bride Thief
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • Cold Iron (Cold Iron, #1)
  • The Man from Gossamer Ridge  (Cooper, #6)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Merely Married
Melanie Rose is the author of Finding Home (Jan '11) and Life As I Know It, (Feb 2010)
Both books are published in the US by Bantam and previously published in the UK as Coming Home and Could It be Magic? and across Europe under different titles, earning her a place on the bestseller list in Germany as Mein Tag Ist Deine Nacht.
Melanie has been a writer all her life whilst caring for children as a c
More about Melanie Rose...