Start by marking “This Is Chick-lit” as Want to Read:
This Is Chick-lit

This Is Chick-lit

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The genre of fiction known as "chick-lit" has been a lightning rod for debate in the world of literature, raising questions such as Is chick-lit really literature or just harmless fluff? Is this really an accurate portrayal of the lives of modern women? Eighteen renowned authors—including Jennifer Coburn, Raelynn Hillhouse, Harley Jane Kozak, Cara Lockwood, and Rachel Pine
Published (first published March 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Chick-lit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Chick-lit

Amkemp Kemp
Oct 25, 2009 Amkemp Kemp rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Didn't do much to bolster the impression of "chick-lit" Some were good, some were ok, and some were awful
Katherine
Nov 18, 2015 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Actual Rating: 0.5 stars.
I thought that This is Chick Lit was going to be a funny girl power collection of stories, but boy was I wrong. The three short stories I read/skimmed made me uncomfortable and focused too much on sex. I get this is supposed to be a book about real women and real life, but do the authors realize that for someone women sex isn't everything? (Shocking, I know.) I think my favorite part of this book (that I actually read) was the introduction where one of the authors jokes
Kamilah
Sep 28, 2013 Kamilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny thing is, I thought this book was aiming to teach readers how to write chick-lit. In my defense, it WAS in the writing section. When I found out it wasn't, I was PO'ed for money wasted (Yeah, I should have checked more thoroughly) and put it on my shelf. But maybe a year or so later, I decided to pick up the book at work and read it since I needed to kill time.

I really loved it! Each story was very interesting, a diverse collection of short stories. Stories about love, self-esteem, men, li
Emily
Jan 23, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
This is a collection of shore stories that was gathered in response to a book, This is not Chick-lit. So, it was to fight some of the stigma attached to chick-lit. There are 18 short stories by different authors in the book.

Most of the stories I found very enjoyable. There weren't any that I skipped or felt like is this over yet about. Most of the stories I enjoyed and wanted to know more about the characters after the story was over. Also the stories were also varied which was nice, some were
aimee
Aug 28, 2007 aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first story was crap and that isn't a very good way to start out a book of short stories. Some of the stories were entertaining, like the one where the woman in Paris keeps stumbling on murdered bodies. Other than that, it was just alright.
Deanne
3.5/5

A variety of interesting stories by a various writers. There was a lot of variety in quality and enjoyment for me, but by the end some of the theme just started to bore me and feel very repetitive.
Angela
Some of the stories I enjoyed quite a bit, while just a few I could have done without. Overall, a quick, fun read where I may find new authors to add to my growing to read list.
Season
Oct 06, 2011 Season rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think am I just tired of short stories becaues I found this rather boring. There were some funny moments in each story, but....i wouldn't read it again.
Salimah
a collection of short "chick lit" stories. Some are better than others, as would be the case with any collection of short stories.
Maria
Dec 19, 2008 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some short stories in this anthology are better than others, and some I would not even classify as chick-lit:-) Good quick read!
Virginia
Jun 12, 2009 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent argument against literary/intra-female snobbery. I enjoyed most of the stories in this book.
Landismom
Aug 30, 2007 Landismom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who reeeeaallly like chick lit
Shelves: beach-reading
Lisa
Aug 17, 2007 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first chick lit books I had read; wasn't too bad.
Megan
Aug 03, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really my type of lit, but I'm attempting it
Heather
Nov 25, 2007 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read a handful, didn't really keep my interest.
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Ana E.
Ana E. marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Heather Cain
Heather Cain marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Colleen Lynn
Colleen Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Bettie
Bettie rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Didka
Didka rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Ruxandra Mihaela
Ruxandra Mihaela marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Claire
Claire added it
Feb 10, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Totally Charmed: Demons/ Whitelighters/ Power of Three
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • The Psychology of the Simpsons: D'oh!
  • Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a Chick Lit Novel
  • See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit
  • The Anthology at the End of the Universe: Leading Science Fiction Authors on Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)
  • Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City
  • Star Wars on Trial: Science Fiction And Fantasy Writers Debate the Most Popular Science Fiction Films of All Time
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Enduring
  • The Science of Dune
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #2)
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • Write from the Heart
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...