Dragonfly: Nasa And The Crisis Aboard Mir

Dragonfly: Nasa And The Crisis Aboard Mir

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On February 12, 1997, two Russian cosmonauts joined an American astronaut on board the only permanent manned outpost in space, the dilapidated, eleven-year-old Mir space station. It was to be a routine mission, the fourth of seven trips to Mir that NASA astronauts would take as "dress rehearsals" for the two countries' partnership in a new International Space Station they...more
Audio
Published November 25th 1998 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1998)

Michael
A nearly forgotten footnote in the history of the space program is a series of joint missions where US astronauts spent months living on the post-Soviet Russian Mir space station as practice and prelude to the International Space Station.

Dragonfly by Bryan Burrough chronicles the calamities that afflicted those missions. First of all, by all accounts the Mir station was dump held together by baling wire and sheer persistence. Also, the Russian space program was this weirdly dysfunctional system...more
DW
I only read this book because my coworker/kinda boss lent it to me ... but it's still a good book, very readable. About a lot of it is about the horrendously screwed up politics of NASA, which makes me wonder why I work there. But there is also the completely awesome story of the unmanned Progress colliding with Mir and banging a hole in it, and the crew having to seal off the module and then stop the disabled station from spinning by using the thrusters on their Soyuz escape pod. The plot could...more
Siby
Bryan Burrough is one of the coauthors of “Barbarians at the Gate”, the story of RJR Nabisco, and has done an excellent job chronicling the joint “Phase I” space collaboration program between the Russians and the Americans on board Mir, the aging Russian space station. This was the first time that the two nations were collaborating on the something as big as their space programs and they brought in a lot of baggage from the cold war and from their respective cultures and attitudes.
The Phase-I pr...more
iain meek
A learned analysis and history of the Mir space station in 1997 with its mixed Russian and American crew which brings out the differing attitudes to safety of the two nations.
A great description of Michael Foale's view that the cosmonauts were regarded as puppets/ slaves of the Russian authorities and the claim that this is a standard Russian view!

thanks to Camden libraries
David Dranchak
Do you want to go to space but are having trouble coming up with the $200,000 that it would take to get you there? Reading Bryan Burrough�s, Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir may be the next best thing!

Once I started reading Dragonfly I could not put it down. Burrough�s ability to describe and explain life aboard the Mir space station in great visual detail as well as portray the personalities and interactions of the astronauts made it feel like I was actually there. Dragonfly provid...more
Jake
I did this one on tape for a road trip. Thanks mostly to Russia, we've had an almost continuous human presence in space for many years. Everybody knows about the Neil Armstrongs and the disasters. This book shares many other stories that never became headlines. It centers around a fire that happened aboard Mir.

Equally interesting to me, Dragonfly provides an insider look into contemporary astronaut/kosmonaut culture. This includes an American astronaut who gets so fed up with the folks at Missi...more
Vanessa
Jul 26, 2007 Vanessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space nuts
I felt like I had gone to see some galloping adventure flick after I finished this book. I learned a lot about the Russian space program, and the "Master-Slave" mentality that pervades it. It was fascinating to read about the American astronauts, and how they fit in (or didn't) during their long stays on Mir - how the adaptable ones got by and forged a strong bond with their cosmonaut counterparts, and how the rigid ones "failed to thrive". The explosion on Mir is so well-described that I felt I...more
Suzanne Auckerman
Excellent!

I have had this book for a while. It came out it is about the NASA's mission to perform science experiments on MIR as a guest of the Russians. It is explains how and why this was politically motivated, interfaces with NASA and Congress, how the mission was dumped on NASA without adequate planning time or input from NASA. Mostly it explains the difference in the astronaut/cosmonaut cultures, reporting structures, and approach to maintenance and repairs. And lastly how this had to succee...more
Dennis Boccippio
Well researched, maybe not as well written. The story is told well and with depth, although there are some minor irritations such as overuse of not-so-subtle foreshadowing of the "crises" throughout the first half of the book. Burrough's book is not overly kind on the Russian or American astronaut corps, NASA's politicos (whether appointed or self-anointed), or either agency's version of MOD ... but nor is it likely unfair.

Overall, I'd say worth the read to catch up on an overlooked chapter in...more
Jeanne
Oct 03, 2011 Jeanne marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: Mick
I love space stuff. This true-life tale is even more interesting because the main character is Jerry Linenger, Michigan native and current Suttons Bay resident. So far the book is painting him as quite the jerk. I ended up giving up on this book. I slogged through the beginning U.S.-Russian history lessons and the mostly dry agency politics to finally get to the good part - drama on the space station! Loved it, but then the author switched back to more lessons on U.S.-Russian relations and I jus...more
M. Tardiff
This book gives a great deal of insight into the workings and failings of both NASA and Star City. The scenes detailed on the Mir are written in an engaging style that's every bit as exciting as a good piece of science fiction, only it's not fiction. The details of Mir life are fascinating, from the interaction of the two crews (Russian and their American guests) to the little known facts such as the secondary toilet installed beside the dining table (!)

If you like stuff about the space program,...more
Amanda
The topic was interesting, but I think the book could have been better written. It took me forever to force myself through the book and I'm glad to be done with it. You want an amazing book about NASA? Check out Riding Rockets, by Mike Mullane (former astronaut, and therefore actually knows what he's talking about, aside from being a great writer).
Jadd Alsaidi
Although kind of long and a stretched out series of events, Dragonfly made you feel like you are an astronaut aboard Mir. The book walks you through the regular day of an astronaut aboard Mir, and at two points, described major incidents that put the station in peril. In all, a great novel to show the true lives of the astronauts aboard Mir.
Brian Grinter
Interesting look at the NASA / Mir co-operation flights and the stuff that went wrong. Lots of behind the scenes going ons and the Progress collision too. Low Earth Orbit best described as "staring at the stars and pissing in jars".

Still waiting until we go to Mars... :-P
Jan
Fascinating details of the Russian space station, and the joint venture between the U.S and Russia to build and maintain MIR. Did you know Russian cosmonauts regularly drank Vodka and smoked in space? A peek into Russia and the way it runs/ran.
Sarah Eckert
Very interesting and eye-opening about the crisis aboard Mir and the continuing space relationship between NASA and the Russian Space Agency. Puts a very human face on it, bringing out the different characters and cultures.
Saskia (Smitie)
Much more interesting to read than I expected. You don't have to be a space fanatic to understand the story as Bryan Burrough explains all the machines and procedures in a clear way.
Clay Davis
A great book filled with a lot of information. I learned a lot about the Russian and American space programs and their culture.
Stormy
Incredible story about the Soviet-Russian space station, including a fire onboard that they successfully fought.
Jen Thornton
I really enjoyed this book which tackles both the technical and human failings of the space program.
Jeremy Hatfield
Interesting read about the Mir program
Nikki
Not a fast read, but quite engaging.
Evrim
Evrim marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Leeza
Leeza marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Andrea Day
Andrea Day marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • The Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space
  • Flight: My Life in Mission Control
  • Deke!: An Autobiography
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey
  • Project Orion: The True Story of the Atomic Spaceship
  • John Glenn: A Memoir
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight
  • A Man on the Moon
  • We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves
  • Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut
  • Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon
  • Failure is not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
  • First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong
  • Moondust: In Search Of The Men Who Fell To Earth
  • The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age
  • Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13
Bryan Burrough joined Vanity Fair in August 1992 and has been a special correspondent for the magazine since January 1995. He has reported on a wide range of topics, including the events that led to the war in Iraq, the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, and the Anthony Pellicano case. His profile subjects have included Sumner Redstone, Larry Ellison, Mike Ovitz, and Ivan Boesky.

Prior to joining...more
More about Bryan Burrough...
Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 The Big Rich: The Rise and Fall of the Greatest Texas Oil Fortunes Vendetta: American Express and the Smearing of Edmond Safra The Miranda Obsession