Start by marking “The Trouser Press Guide to 90's Rock” as Want to Read:
The Trouser Press Guide to 90's Rock

The Trouser Press Guide to 90's Rock

Note: Despite several name changes, these are several editions of the same book.

1st Ed. (1983) published as The Trouser Press Guide to New Wave Records.
2nd Ed. (1985) published as The New Trouser Press Record Guide.
3rd Ed. (1989) published as The New Trouser Press Record Guide (Revised Edition).
4th Ed. (1991) published as The Trouser Press Record Guide: The Ultimate Guide
Paperback, 5th Edition, 848 pages
Published March 7th 1997 by simon and shuster (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouser Press Guide to 90's Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouser Press Guide to 90's Rock

Randolph Carter
Nov 13, 2014 Randolph Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, owned, music
While not always in line with my tastes, this is the essential guide to the only music that mattered from circa 1975 to 1983.
Larry-bob Roberts
Oct 18, 2008 Larry-bob Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punk-rock, music
I was talking to a young whippersnapper music fan the other day and I mentioned that when I was in college I read the Trouser Press Record Guide cover-to-cover. "Trouser Press?" he asked. Naturally, he had no idea what I was talking about. This guide (this one is basically a third revision) was a spin-off of a defunct "New Wave" magazine, and is pretty much the definitive review guide. They have a website with their reviews, too, but for obsessives it's nice to have it on paper. There is actuall ...more
Tim
Jul 02, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Sigh* My lesson number one in never giving away something until you have its replacement in hand. Hearing that Trouser Press was putting out a new edition of its alternative music guide, I gave this bad boy to a fine couple who were friends of mine, figuring it was about to become superfluous. Instead there followed "The Trouser Press Guide to '90s Rock," which turned out to build upon this book with more recent reviews (a sort of volume II), featuring little of the same information beyond some ...more
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mid-eighties copy of this book was so beat up from constant use that I had to replace it. The second dog-eared copy has miraculously survived coffee spills, margin notes, highlighting, rain, and more abuse than any book I have ever owned. The pinnacle of what a record guide should be; this book shaped who I am and what I like to listen to.
Martin Mulcahey
Mar 20, 2011 Martin Mulcahey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before there was such a thing as P2P music downloads and other ways of getting ear candy for free (hopefully just to listen before you buy the real CD from the artist you like) you had to rely on word of mouth or radio. Since radio did not play most of the great music listed here, take it from a Suicidal Tendencies/Thin Lizzy fan, this was the one way I KNEW the music I risked my money on was worth it. As far as guides go, this one surpasses them all.
John Nestor
Nov 13, 2012 John Nestor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the time it came out, it was a bible. Now, it seems more like a time-capsule; perhaps a memoir for my children. Certainly, it contains that which was most important to a teen back then. I still pull it out once in a while, to thumb through while day-dreaming about listening to the Clash's first album in a long-gone car.
Tim
Jun 30, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
My copy is peeled and dog-eared as hell, but "The Trouser Press Guide to '90s Rock" remains an important touchstone to the '90s music scene. There are elitist omissions and bands you still haven't heard of all over the place, but these well-written, sharp reviews remain valuable, if you can find this mofo.
Mark
Jul 11, 2008 Mark rated it liked it
Point of pride: I wrote more than 30 of the capsule reviews in the book.
Disclaimer: The earlier editions fell more pure.
Good decision(s): Ira and the rest (most?) of us didn't keep flogging metaphoric dead horses.
Gina
Jan 27, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Dude, it's essential.
Tara
Nov 18, 2008 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is ok, has a ton of info which I guess is cool... Yes its all on the internet now but it can be fun (?) to pick up this book and flip through it. A lot of the reviews are crazy though--which actually adds a new dimension of entertainment to the book if you're feeling generous. I mean, the Angry Samoans are "not funny" and "not clever"?? The first Stooges record is "moronic"??? HOWARD JONES IS THE "MARC BOLAN OF THE 80'S'"??? On second thought this book kind of sucks.
Tremolo
Nov 14, 2008 Tremolo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80's and 90's music afficionados
this book was highly influential for me growing up. the only negative is the limited scope- the book deals mainly with early to mid 90's indie (i think it came out in '96). that said, much of my favorite music came out during that time frame, so my copy is lovingly worn and torn. anyone else similarly inclined to the music of this era should get a lot out of it. i still refer back to it.

essential reading, in my opinion.
Mar 17, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, reference
It's the book one read and made lists of records one wanted to buy before everything was on the internet. It is on the internet now. Sometimes, however, it is more efficient to pick up the book to check when such-and-such came out or if so-and-so was in what band, rather than go in the other room and turn on the computer.
Marfield
Jul 11, 2012 Marfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: really-nice-ones
Very readable reference book. Unlike most record guides this one does not venerate blues influenced rock from the 70s. When describing amazing bands that don't play in traditional ways they don't waste their breath saying that the members don't know how to play or that they play on toy instruments (MAJOR PET PEEVE!), they get it and tell you how good the band is.
christopher
Jan 15, 2008 christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Portrait of a teenage music nerd: I spent many nights as a budding high school 'zinester, reading about the Buzzcocks and Minor Threat and Velvet Underground in the Trouser Press Record Guide. From my small town in Wisconsin, it was a window into the world of indie culture that wasn't always easy to learn about. This book turned me on to so much great music. Thank you, Ira Robbins!
Brian
Oct 15, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Obsessives
Pretty much the bible as far as I'm concerned; record guides aren't really written this well anymore, and they especially don't have the TP's coverage. It's the rare guide that's actually good to sit down and read as opposed to merely using as a reference.
Thomas
Jan 21, 2008 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The magazine shaped me, this cast the die. Once I read all this — and, yegods, I have read the whole thing — I realized you could actually do this for a living, and it could mean something. Glory be. But bible, schmible ... it's a damn handy book, too.
Aaron Gardner
May 04, 2014 Aaron Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on a bargain shelf. Sure, it's outdated, but it's a great source for discovering good music I missed when it was published in the 80s. Back in those days, if it wasn't on MTV or the local radio, it was really easy to miss a lot.
Kozmo Kliegl
Oct 21, 2010 Kozmo Kliegl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is technically a 2nd edition (the 1st was crude) but still a fantastic introduction of non-mainstream music. Still useful as later editions don't cover many of the earlier artists for the sake of modernity
Zepp
Feb 25, 2008 Zepp rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-and-rock-on
Less art, more frat than previous edition. But maybe the 90s have aged badly. Some people when they get old play bad music even though they did cool drugs and played cool music when they were 19 and these people are in here. Also some crappy Am Rep and proto-emo. 85% great stuff in here, though.
Hank Stuever
Jul 14, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suppose there's nothing in here that a Google search can't answer for you, but I still have the well-thumbed copy we shared in the Albuquerque Tribune's features/entertainment dept., and I plan on keeping it forever.
Brian
Oct 15, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
The companion to the earlier edition -- this focuses on music from '91 to about mid-'96. Frustratingly incomplete as it misses out on some high-profile records that came out towards the end of the decade; where's our new edition, Robbins? Again, more well-written, researched reviews.
Jason Feinberg
Feb 11, 2008 Jason Feinberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned more from this single book than every book i had ever read leading up to it. This shaped my musical knowledge and introduced me to 100s of awesome new bands. This was the Internet of books!
Baal Of
Apr 05, 2012 Baal Of rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I referenced this book hundreds of times over the years, especially when I was first really discovering my love for music.
Mark
Jul 11, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to say I've "read" it, this encyclopedic guide to independent rock; but it is indispensible, and set the standard for music guides to follow.
Ryan Sugarpants
Sep 15, 2007 Ryan Sugarpants rated it it was amazing
This guide is essential to those who are fans of indie-rcok. it may be a little dated now, but this was my bible for years and never left my bed-side.
Dan
Sep 15, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bible for several years, introduced me to great music, key information on thousands of acts, and concise music writing. Many of the entries written by editor Ira Robbins.
Avis Black
Nov 12, 2008 Avis Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, 5-stars
This book was my music Bible during the 80s and 90s, and I learned more about alternative rock from this volume than I ever could have possibly imagined. Absolutely invaluable.
Shawn
Oct 28, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it cover to cover - provided the road-map to tour me into my various musical interests and steer me away from wastes of time. Wonderful!
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
  • The Heart Of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made
  • Rock Albums Of The 70s: A Critical Guide
  • Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll
  • Rolling Stone Album Guide: All New Reviews (The Definitive Guide to the Best of Rock, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Blues, Country, Soul, Folk & Gospel)
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • Lost in the Grooves: Scram's Capricious Guide to the Music You Missed
  • From the Velvets to the Voidoids: A Pre-Punk History for a Post-Punk World
  • Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground
  • Between Thought and Expression: Selected Lyrics
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Feel Like Going Home: Portraits in Blues and Rock 'n' Roll
  • Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis