Snow Music

And snow falling. Peth.
And melting. Drip.
And falling again.
You can listen.
You can also sing along.

Published September 2nd 2003 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Music

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonStranger in the Woods by Carl R. Sams IISnowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
Snow Day Books
10th out of 64 books — 7 voters
Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris RaschkaThe Flying Orchestra by Clare McFaddenGranny Will Your Dog Bite by Gerald MilnesThe Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony by Lou Rhodes
Picture Books About the Art of Music
34th out of 111 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Candice
Most of the illustrations in the book are so beautiful. The story itself is a bit uneven. It starts with snow falling on a picture book town. Animals in the woods and children and dogs in their beds awaken to a world covered in white. The boy's dog runs out the door and it's time to go looking for him. In the next pages we see animals in the snow. I particularly like the page with the dog. Two sounds simultaneously occur - the huff, huff, huff of the dogs breath, and the jingle of its tags. A ca...more
Beth
This is one of those books that deserves a second or third look to truly appreciate and understand what is happening. It's a perfect example of the complexity of picture books and why they deserve to be used and examined in the classroom just as much as novels, short stories, and poetry.

I love the music and rhythm of this book along with the sensory details and onomatopoeia. It's a book that makes me remember the beauty and quiet of snow rather than all the things I dread about it: the cold, th...more
Beverly Kennett
Honor book
This story takes place in a snow globe, where a young boy opens the door to look at the snow and his dog runs out the door and disappears. As the boy follows to retrieve his pet, the story includes sound words for all the events that occur around him. (trucks, cars, music, snow crunching, etc.)

This book is written in simple phrases and easy to understand concepts, which make it a good first reader for Kindergarteners and Frist Graders. It would also be a useful tool for teaching sound...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 08, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Luann
I love, love, love the part when the boy is asked why when he catches up with his runaway dog he’s asked why he calls the dogs a good boy and he answers so he’ll be glad to come home: So many people scold dogs at the wrong time this might help stop that. By the time the boy found this dog if he’d been angry the dog would have had no idea why. This alone is enough for me to really like it and give it 4 stars. Otherwise, interesting illustrations and story, although the sounds didn’t really remind...more
Debbie Hoskins
This is definitely a good example of a picture book being like music. A nice, read-aloud it even has a part where you can sound like a car radio. Like a true picture book the words and pictures are married together. Excellent pacing of both words and illustrations. The watercolor illustrations are beautiful and the illustrations look like Lynne Rae Perkins' home, which is in the state of Michigan.
Dolly
Mar 19, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I borrowed this book from our local library today with the idea that it would be a nice book to read with our girls as they settled down for sleep. We'd just had a brief snowstorm and although the snow was already gone, we really enjoyed playing in the snow together for a few minutes in the morning. I was hoping to bring back some of the quiet and joy of waking up to a fresh blanket of white.

This book encapsulates the sights and sounds of a snowy day. It's a novel concept and we loved the music...more
RLL52013_Kaitlin Larson
This is a realistic fiction picture book appropriate for the primary grades. It is the recipient of the Bccb Blue Ribbon Picture Book Award. It focuses on a girl, rabbit, deer, squirrel, a boy, and a dog's journey through a snowy winter wonderland. It is a fun read aloud with onomonopia of the different sounds of the characters traveling through the snow. It is great for classrooms because it is hard to focus on winter holidays with students of many different backgrounds so it focuses on the ele...more
Megan Boomgarden
Snow Music is a story about a boy who is looking around the town for his dog and experiencing the different sound and noises of nature. This book does a great job of exploring the personalities of different animals- the wild scatter-brained squirrel, the calm, peaceful movements of deer and birds, the adventerous dog, and the quiet rabbit. This book is also great for experiencing music in everyday life. It mentions the sounds of the dogs heavy breathing and jinggling collar, the purring of a car...more
Naomi
I agree with another reviewer who stated that while the illustrations in this book were simply beautiful, the story was uneven and all over the place enough to the point that I questioned where and what the author was actually doing with the story.
Turrean
The children enjoyed this one very much. We shared the book as a kind of choral reading, with children performing the parts of the speakers, and acting out the sounds the author gives for trucks passing by, the sound of the falling snow, or the sigh of the rising wind. The clever conceit throughout the book is that winter in this small town creates a kind of music, so Perkins has shown snowflakes as musical notes, and a "score" for the sounds made by a car passing by with its radio playing, a do...more
Robin
Stumbled across this title as I was shelving just now. Love this lyrical ode to winter! It captures so many common winter occurrences: snowplow sounds, a dog getting loose and deer eating the remains of the garden, to name a few. Published over a decade ago but it hasn't lost its power to captivate!
Meghan Hunt
This is a really clever book that incorporates sound into the story. I love how it begins and ends with the sound of snow falling. A little boy opens his door one morning to see the snow, accidentally letting his dog out. Then he has to go try to catch his naughty dog. While on his search, he observes various sights and sounds. I'm really curious to try this book out with my niece to see if she understands what's going on in the story and if she'll interact with it, helping me make the various s...more
Shakita
This book was very simple to read. I like how it had directions of how to read the words and I thought it would be a great book to read-aloud and let students participate. The book had a lot of sounds to mimic and I think one can do a lot of different things with this book in the class. Students can write a story this way with different characters saying things. I also liked how it's setting was in a snow globe; we know snow globes to make music and this is what the story did, make music on each...more
Snorkle
I liked the feel of this book. While reading, I could almost hear the snow outside my window fluttering down in soft drifts. I enjoyed looking at the pictures, they were quite nice and made the book so much more real. I would definitely recommend this book, especially if you were a fan of snow and cold weather.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Kendra
We love this book and have checked it out from the library several times. It has wonderful onomatopoetic sounds and I love the boys looking for the dog on a cold Saturday morning. It is just the kind of day I like to have with my boys...it is kind of a quiet read, but there are good giggles, too.
Luann
A boy experiences the sounds of snow while outside looking for his dog. The text is very lyrical with some concrete poetry and onomatopoeic words. Pair with Snow Sounds: An Onomatopoeic Story by David A. Johnson for a snow-themed lesson about onomatopoeia.
Anastasia Tuckness
Beautiful picture book--themes of snow, late fall, winter, night, sounds, animals, print awareness (words are printed in different places on the page), movement, animal tracks. Love the illustrations! (I found this in the Horn Book's Ones that Got Away list.)
Josiah
I would give this book one and a half stars for the soft, comforting use of winter language that Lynne Rae Perkins works so well. It's a nice story told using few words, allowing the beautiful illustrations to speak with an audible voice of their own.
Diem
What a great read on a snowy day while sipping hot cocoa! I love how this book brings to life the experience of snowfall, the sounds, tastes, it really is very experiential! It has become my son's favorite this winter, we have read it a zillion times :)
CCPL Staff Picks
What kind of song does snow play? Follow the sounds made by a dog, a car, and others through the neighborhood to find out. Kids love sounds and rhythms--this is a great repeat-after-me book, full of patterns and onomatopoeia. For ages 2-6.
Hannah C.
Candice
This was a creatively crafted book, but the narrative seemed kind of disjointed to me. I think the read-aloud merit may depend on the story-telling talent of the reader.

This might be a good book for a music teacher to share with his or her class.
Hannah Cobb
Karli
The book Snow Music is about all the different things that we see almost everyday (or in the winter season) that can make music. It is a fun book for young children and it is definitely a fun winter book! This book was cute
Heather Bowden
This book is good for learning about setting, it takes place in a snow globe. It's also good for using adjectives in writing. It was very descriptive to help the reader hear what kind of noise each thing was making in the book.
Very quiet, but with a lot going on. Human story lines overlain or interwoven with the natural story lines happening every day to birds, rabbits, or a leaf skittering across the road.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
This book takes place in a town that lives inside of a snow globe. It taught us to never let our dog out without a leash. Some of us made a text to self connection with this problem!
Kathryn McCary
Pleasant--but, sadly, nothing special. Perkins's peculiar and delightful voice is muted here, and there isn't enough quirky in the illustrations to quite make up for it.
Deb
I really like the color combo - brown and blue, very true to winter brightness. The design of text on the page is also neat, plus the music of the language.
Karen Stanford
This is definitely a read-aloud book. I think it would be good with accompanying instruments which the children play during certain sections of the book.
Tricia
brilliant. sounds of winter are well defined in this story about a dog who runs away on a winter day. will try for december outreach.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lynne Rae Perkins is the author of several novels, including her most recent Newbery Award winning book, Criss Cross. She enjoys working in her studio, being with friends, watching her kids grow, and watching her husband, Bill, chase their dog around town.
More about Lynne Rae Perkins...
Criss Cross As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth All Alone in the Universe Pictures from Our Vacation The Cardboard Piano [With DVD]