Possum Come a-Knockin'

Possum Come a-Knockin'

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Illus. in full color. "While Granny is a-rockin' and a-knittin' and Ma's a-cookin' and Pa's a-fixin', that old possum in his top hat and vest just keeps on knocking. The narrator, a redheaded boy, tries to tell family members about the possum, and when the family checks, the possum hides. Should be popular with story-hour groups."--Booklist.
Published August 25th 1992 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1990)

Marshall
Mar 27, 2009 Marshall rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kids who like to have fun
This book was given to my 14-month-old daughter as a gift because her parents dressed her as a possum for her first birthday. Cute, huh? No really. It WAS cute. You should see the pictures.

Anyway, while the illustrations leave something to be desired, the key to Possum Come A-Knockin' is the cadence with which you read it aloud. First, adopt a north Georgia mountain accent (if you do not, the text practically backs you into one), and proceed at a measured clip. A couple of deep breaths are requ...more
Melody
I really don't want to get caught up in adding so many children's books to my "read" list - but this one is just so wonderful and I don't think it's one of those top books that people know about - and they NEED to know about it if they have kids! I think my daughter (she's 23 now) would STILL count it as one of her favorites!
Alys B. Cohen
This book is just plain fun. The cadence makes your mouth feel like it's dancing. There is no way to read this book aloud without being forced into a southern dialect. I admit reading this book with adults just for the laughter it invariably causes.
Logan Walker
One of my favorites as a child, Possum Come A-Knockin is a classic. It has great rhythym and melody to it throughout the story. If you are reading it to your classroom, be enthusiastic and it could be a big hit for your students!
Bianca
As a kid who spent most of my pre-kindergarten life in the deep South I appreciated this book. Even as an adult I can go back and laugh out loud at the colloquialisms.
Wit Tomasino
My dear followers,

The most profoundly confusing experience just befell me. There I was--enjoying an evening meal innocently as I am wont to do--when to my great surprise, a possum began knocking at my door. At least, that is what I was lead to believe from Mother. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely certain what this door thing is, nor a possum for that matter. I would be hard pressed to tell you exactly what action denotes knocking, but I sense from the context that it is an unexpected activity fo...more
Cathleen
Just a fun read aloud book that my kids had when they were young. We all loved it!
Kathy Ferrell
One of my all-time favorite read-alouds! Rhythmic rhymes that are quickly picked up by children, along with the follow-along action of "knocking on the door" each time that Possum does, give kids and reader alike a great time. I've read this to large groups of kids and it always gets lots of giggles and rapt (pardon the pun) attention.

Hilarious pictures. I love the expressions on the ornery looking possum and the goofy hound dog. Little ones LOVE this, especially around 4-7 years.
Jackie
When possum comes a knockin', the family is busy with chores. No time to answer the door! But, when brother sees a pesky possum doing some tomfoolery at the door, the family is bewildered by his insistence about the mysterious knocking.

A cumulative tale told in rhyme that is perfect for some giggling during storytime.
Corinne Cepeda
My mom would read this to my brother and I when were between the ages of 5- 8. It's about a family trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. I remember it being fun to listen to because of the syncopated rhythm. This book I feel is fun for the listener and the person reading it.
Cookiesue9x
This is our current fave read to the grands. They love it, we love it. Our 3 year old granddaughter has it memorized.
On , an hour each way, car trip with the 6 y/o twin boys and 3 year old girl, we all made up our own verses, they were NOT all polite !!
Edna
Reminiscent of The House that Jack Built, this book has a forceful beat to it that can't be avoided if read aloud. A family is busy doing different activities when they're interupted by a knocking at the door.
Amy
This book has flowing language like a poem. It talks about what everybody is doing while the possum is being silly outside. If you look at the pictures, the dog and cat are very silly looking as well.
Thing Two
Absolutely love this children's book. One of my favorites, one I can quote - and often do! - large sections from memory. If you've got kids in your circle, buy them this book!
Eden Glenn
This book has beautiful rhythms of words and beat to read to children. The illustrations are interesting and unique to capture their interest. It is a treasured favorite
Paula
Light and small illustrations make this not so good for a group read although the turn us great. A family is busy while a possum knocks outside the door.
Grace
This book has a great beat when read aloud. The story includes a possum knockin at the door while a family is busy busy with their own activities.
Leslie
This is kind of a weird little rhyming poem kind of a story that I didn't think much of but my 6 year old thought was funny.
bryan
There is a nice beat to the words of this book when read aloud. Could be used to teach young students music rythm.
Mariah Smith
Absolutely hilarious and wonderfully rhythmic and musical! So many possibilities for librarians and music teachers!
Courtney
Adorable, funny book. Almost reads like a rap. Enjoyable for kids and adults.
Paige
Cute little story. Lots of repetition, which is good for the little ones.
Beth
Possum fools the family by hiding in the tree. This is a lyrical read.
Smellsofbikes
Fun book with superb illustrations
jenna nims
really fun book to read
Barb Simpson
Fun read aloud.
Marissa
Fun read aloud!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nancy Van Laan was born in Baton Rouge, La. Her father was a colonel in the US Air Force, and the family moved frequently as Van Laan was growing up. She began making up stories to pass the time on long car trips. Although Van Laan had a learning disability, she loved to read. She began drawing and writing poetry as a child and enjoyed illustrating her own stories. Van Laan also loved ballet and b...more
More about Nancy Van Laan...
When Winter Comes So Say the Little Monkeys Rainbow Crow Tickle Tum! A Tree for Me