Start by marking “Possum Come a-Knockin'” as Want to Read:
Possum Come a-Knockin'

Possum Come a-Knockin'

Illus. in full color. "While Granny is a-rockin' and a-knittin' and Ma's a-cookin' and Pa's a-fixin', that old possum in his top hat and vest just keeps on knocking. The narrator, a redheaded boy, tries to tell family members about the possum, and when the family checks, the possum hides. Should be popular with story-hour groups."--Booklist.
Published August 25th 1992 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Possum Come a-Knockin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Possum Come a-Knockin'

Marshall
Mar 27, 2009 Marshall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like to have fun
This book was given to my 14-month-old daughter as a gift because her parents dressed her as a possum for her first birthday. Cute, huh? No really. It WAS cute. You should see the pictures.

Anyway, while the illustrations leave something to be desired, the key to Possum Come A-Knockin' is the cadence with which you read it aloud. First, adopt a north Georgia mountain accent (if you do not, the text practically backs you into one), and proceed at a measured clip. A couple of deep breaths are requ
Alys Marchand
Sep 25, 2013 Alys Marchand rated it it was amazing
This book is just plain fun. The cadence makes your mouth feel like it's dancing. There is no way to read this book aloud without being forced into a southern dialect. I admit reading this book with adults just for the laughter it invariably causes.
Melody
Aug 03, 2012 Melody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-ya
I really don't want to get caught up in adding so many children's books to my "read" list - but this one is just so wonderful and I don't think it's one of those top books that people know about - and they NEED to know about it if they have kids! I think my daughter (she's 23 now) would STILL count it as one of her favorites!
Logan Walker
One of my favorites as a child, Possum Come A-Knockin is a classic. It has great rhythym and melody to it throughout the story. If you are reading it to your classroom, be enthusiastic and it could be a big hit for your students!
Bianca
Dec 25, 2011 Bianca rated it it was amazing
As a kid who spent most of my pre-kindergarten life in the deep South I appreciated this book. Even as an adult I can go back and laugh out loud at the colloquialisms.
Catherine
Sep 29, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this story!
Wit Tomasino
Sep 18, 2012 Wit Tomasino rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, animals
My dear followers,

The most profoundly confusing experience just befell me. There I was--enjoying an evening meal innocently as I am wont to do--when to my great surprise, a possum began knocking at my door. At least, that is what I was lead to believe from Mother. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely certain what this door thing is, nor a possum for that matter. I would be hard pressed to tell you exactly what action denotes knocking, but I sense from the context that it is an unexpected activity fo
Ashley Cochran
Nov 30, 2015 Ashley Cochran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great tongue twister book that’s intriguing to young readers. It’s about a little girl who was looking out of the family room window. She is explaining in the book what everyone in her house is doing. She keeps saying that an opossum is knocking on their door, but no one pays her any attention. When they finally listen to her, they open the door and look outside and don’t see anything. The opossum was playing possum with the family. It’s a twist on the old story where the boy cri ...more
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 14, 2012 Kathy Ferrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-these, own-it
One of my all-time favorite read-alouds! Rhythmic rhymes that are quickly picked up by children, along with the follow-along action of "knocking on the door" each time that Possum does, give kids and reader alike a great time. I've read this to large groups of kids and it always gets lots of giggles and rapt (pardon the pun) attention.

Hilarious pictures. I love the expressions on the ornery looking possum and the goofy hound dog. Little ones LOVE this, especially around 4-7 years.
Veronika
Jan 18, 2016 Veronika rated it really liked it
So for curiosity's sake, I decided to look and see if this book was on Goodreads. Lo and behold, it is. My sisters LOVED this book. Me, on the other hand,... my first reaction is to run screaming away yelling don't read it! don't read it! Yep, twenty-some odd years later, I still have a dislike of possums because of this book. It can be said, however, that the story definitely sticks with you. To this day, I can remember what happens when a possum come a-knockin' at the door, at the door...
Jackie
Sep 30, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
When possum comes a knockin', the family is busy with chores. No time to answer the door! But, when brother sees a pesky possum doing some tomfoolery at the door, the family is bewildered by his insistence about the mysterious knocking.

A cumulative tale told in rhyme that is perfect for some giggling during storytime.
Corinne Cepeda
Jul 11, 2012 Corinne Cepeda rated it it was amazing
My mom would read this to my brother and I when were between the ages of 5- 8. It's about a family trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. I remember it being fun to listen to because of the syncopated rhythm. This book I feel is fun for the listener and the person reading it.
Edna
Jul 01, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of The House that Jack Built, this book has a forceful beat to it that can't be avoided if read aloud. A family is busy doing different activities when they're interupted by a knocking at the door.
Courtney Williams
Nov 11, 2015 Courtney Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-books
This book is fun and engaging. The story is about a possum being silly outside while the family is in side minding their business. This book would be great to get the children up and active. It is also a good book to work on their memory skills by asking what each character was doing.
Cookiesue9x
Oct 14, 2008 Cookiesue9x rated it really liked it
This is our current fave read to the grands. They love it, we love it. Our 3 year old granddaughter has it memorized.
On , an hour each way, car trip with the 6 y/o twin boys and 3 year old girl, we all made up our own verses, they were NOT all polite !!
Amy
This book has flowing language like a poem. It talks about what everybody is doing while the possum is being silly outside. If you look at the pictures, the dog and cat are very silly looking as well.
Leslie
May 25, 2009 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is kind of a weird little rhyming poem kind of a story that I didn't think much of but my 6 year old thought was funny.
Thing Two
Jan 24, 2013 Thing Two rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this children's book. One of my favorites, one I can quote - and often do! - large sections from memory. If you've got kids in your circle, buy them this book!
Mariah
May 04, 2013 Mariah rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious and wonderfully rhythmic and musical! So many possibilities for librarians and music teachers!
Grace
Dec 05, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing
This book has a great beat when read aloud. The story includes a possum knockin at the door while a family is busy busy with their own activities.
bryan
May 13, 2010 bryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
There is a nice beat to the words of this book when read aloud. Could be used to teach young students music rythm.
Paula
Jun 18, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok
Light and small illustrations make this not so good for a group read although the turn us great. A family is busy while a possum knocks outside the door.
Eden Glenn
Jun 11, 2013 Eden Glenn rated it it was amazing
This book has beautiful rhythms of words and beat to read to children. The illustrations are interesting and unique to capture their interest. It is a treasured favorite
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
bekah
bekah rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Brittany Holmgren
Brittany Holmgren rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Sarahbeth
Sarahbeth rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Paige
Sep 12, 2011 Paige rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-abe
Cute little story. Lots of repetition, which is good for the little ones.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • Read to Tiger
  • Mama Don't Allow
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Moosekitos
  • Let's Go Home, Little Bear
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Me First (Sandpiper paperbacks)
  • Underwater Dogs: Kids Edition
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Bear in the Air
Nancy Van Laan was born in Baton Rouge, La. Her father was a colonel in the US Air Force, and the family moved frequently as Van Laan was growing up. She began making up stories to pass the time on long car trips. Although Van Laan had a learning disability, she loved to read. She began drawing and writing poetry as a child and enjoyed illustrating her own stories. Van Laan also loved ballet and b ...more
More about Nancy Van Laan...