Start by marking “Faithless (Grant County, #5)” as Want to Read:
Faithless (Grant County, #5)

Faithless (Grant County #5)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  18,997 Ratings  ·  639 Reviews
Faithless
Published August 30th 2005 by Delacorte Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Faithless, please sign up.

Kathie Beyond Reach was the last book in Grant County series (It can't really go anywhere without Jeffrey Tolliver) The next series does return to Grant…moreBeyond Reach was the last book in Grant County series (It can't really go anywhere without Jeffrey Tolliver) The next series does return to Grant County a couple of times. In Broken Will Trent, a GBI agent, investigates Tolliver's death and in Unseen Trent is working a case in Grant County that puts him at a shooting at Lena's house.(less)

Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey and Sara are walking through the woods near her home when they stumbled upon a pipe coming up from underneath the ground. What lay beneath was heartbreaking, leading them into an investigation of a family who seems to have plenty of secrets. They're also leaders of a religious lifestyle that appears cult like.

This was a disturbing story that also explores the subject of domestic abuse. The investigation took some interesting turns, even though the field of suspects was narrow. Typical o
Mo
Sep 15, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another roller coaster. Sometimes hard to keep track of all the characters.

With each book, Jeffrey and Sara are growing on me. I love that they are not the perfect couple. They argue. Her parents are great too. Lena, I don't know if she will ever have a Happy Ever After.

Some parts of this book were quite heartbreaking. Terri, my heart bled for her.

Off to review the last in the series!!
Susan
I think this was the best book of the series so far. I can actually see KS writing getting better as the series progresses. When Sarah goes to see Jeffery at work two gunman come into the police precinct and begin assassinating police officers. They have basically no demands and no one knows why they are there. KS then takes us back to when Jeffery and Sarah first met and how they solve a crime that goes even further back in Jeffery's history. Very suspenseful and a great back story. Looking for ...more
Mary Beth
Sep 30, 2016 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Karin Slaughter, and I really love this series!
Melissa
Dec 07, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may have taken we awhile to finish this book, but that had nothing to do with the story. Although the story line was disturbing, I enjoyed the telling of it. Sara and Jeffrey have an amazing relationship. They have been through so much and yet continue to stick together. This book centered around a sort of church cult and it makes you wonder about the non-fiction churches out there. The treatment the girls endured was awful. I was able to determine who the "bad guy" was long before Sara and J ...more
Brenda H
Apr 03, 2017 Brenda H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faithless, the 5th book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter, is centered around Jeffrey Tolliver, the County Sheriff and Sara Linton, the County’s ME and local pediatrician (as well as Jeffrey’s ex-wife and current lover).

Jeffrey and Sara are out walking in the woods when Jeffrey gives Sara shocking news. Feeling betrayed, the upset Sara takes off at a fast pace toward home. While trying to catch up to Sara, Jeffrey trips over a pipe in the ground….The pipe leads to a victim who had be
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book by Karin Slaughter might be my favorite one so far. I've read quite a few of her books and even a novella or two. Her books are often heavy on violence towards women. This book also possessed that same thread. But I feel that was balanced by everything else. It didn't feel like the often abused 'shock and awe' trick I dislike. There were a few different threads woven into the plot and I liked that. She also does a great job with her characters. Not only are they well drawn, but they al ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 06, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faithless is an excellent police procedural novel, but what really makes it stand out is the author's way of perfectly capturing Georgia's scenery and southern mood among the crime and suspense.
Robert
Apr 19, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like James Lee Burke, Karin Slaughter delivers novels where the separation between good and bad involves a fine line, and it’s not always easy to see, even if it’s drawn on the pavement in red crayon. The relationship between Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver makes FAITHLESS an entertaining read, and the deft, clever plotting makes it even better. This novel proved a hard one to put down, and despite reading several other novels at the time, I just had to keep reading. Reaching the end, though, w ...more
Paula
This is the first I've read of any Karin Slaughter books. Quite a few GR friends are reading her thrillers so when I saw this audio book at the library I grabbed it on a whim. Faithless is #5 in the series about victims getting buried alive with a religious twist. I realized as I listened to the book that a lot had happened in the previous 4 books in the series that I should have read first.

I like the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey. There are so many characters, however, that it's hard to kee
Chris
Jun 04, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to read more and more of Karin Slaughter’s books and for the most part I really enjoy them. Sadly the last few Grant County books have just been ok and that includes this one. The premise of the book was intriguing, and I had higher expectations since I was not overly impressed with the last one. I figured every writer has their ok book but had hoped that this one would blow me away.

I think what really keeps me coming back to this series is the characters. I really enjoy the ups and
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Chief Jeff Tolliver, Sara Linton, and Lena Adams are in the mayhem of a murder. They stumble upon a young girl, buried alive, but she didn't die that way. In the midst of the solve, there is a corporate church family that has secrets that make you cringe and then rage at the senselessness of it all. It'll make your own domestic squabbles look tame in comparison to this family.

For the life of me I can't understand Lena, the cop who has had so many traumatic experiences that she conti
Ahmad Ardalan
Apr 04, 2012 Ahmad Ardalan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced thriller set in a small county. For a 500 page mystery, this will engage you from start to finish.
Maria Alejandra
Apr 23, 2017 Maria Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Me ha gustado, pero leí un spoiler del siguiente libro y que tristeza... Me lo saltaré y paso a la serie de Will Trent
Bex
May 25, 2010 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver are carrying a lot of emotional baggage. These ex-spouses work together in solving crimes--mostly gory, brutal, unspeakable crimes. The latest is a young girl found buried, presumably, alive. There's a pipe protruding from her burial place which should have provided air, but an autopsy reveals that the young girl who happens to be a member of a religious cult did not suffocate but was killed by cyanide, which was poured down the breathing tube.

F
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
Karin Slaughter writes some of the most powerful and heart-stopping Crime Thrillers out there. This one had me in tears near the end. I'm always hooked from the start and intrigued by the different characters. It amazes me how she weaves the story. One minute I'm furious with a character and the next minute I'm pulling for their happiness! Not many authors can change my mind when I've decided a character is the pits. Slaughter did. She also gives new meaning to the word "villain." These aren't y ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Faithless, the 5th book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series brings back the small town medical examiner, Dr Sara Linton and ex husband Grant County chief of police, in a complex and gripping tale of murder, religious cults, family abuse, secrets and a remorseless killer that keeps your guessing until the very end.

This series is gritty with flawed and interesting characters that are very well developed. The small town settings are vividly written - I would feel the menace and danger swirling
Maureen DeLuca
As far as this series goes, Faithless was one of the best . I have so many mixed reviews on the Grant County Series- but having said that - Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite authors- I like her writing and her style.... this series is more of a romance/thriller type read- or a romance/soap opera drama/thriller series..... I can say if you really like the romance and thriller then without a doubt this series is for you....of course this series ended in 2007 so for those just reading it (like ...more
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 stars - Slaughter never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat, heart racing, turning pages as fast as I can read. Pay attention to details - every word, sentence, paragraph - all should be scrutinized in a Slaughter book, as they all inevitably prove to be important later. And navigate the twists & turns with care...you never know what surprise this author will have waiting on the next page...but you can be sure there will be at least a couple of shockers. Loved it! A Page Burner!
Marnie  Krüger
Dec 12, 2014 Marnie Krüger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few of my friends read this series before me and kind of spoiled the last two books for me - no hard feelings.

Now it just takes me twice as long to finish them as it originally would.

Karin still is one of the most brilliant writers out there!

I think I'll just take a bit of a break before I read the last book of the Grant County series, in the hope that I will forget the spoilers!

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

In this installment of Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series, Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are getting closer, though a new threat to their relationship rears its ugly head. As they are coming out the woods near Sara's parents' home, Jeffrey literally stumbles across a body buried in the ground. She was buried alive, then died a horrific death before she was freed.

The girl's identity leads to a co op soy farm and to a very religious family who is somewhat misogynist. Sara is not on
 Olivermagnus
Nov 24, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016, suspense
Faithless is the fifth book in Slaughter's Grant County series and continues the story of the primary characters, Sara Linton, a pediatrician and county medical examiner, and her ex-husband and current lover, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver. This series also features one of the most fascinating characters in suspense, Detective Lena Adams, and her struggles with PTSD, as well as her ongoing abusive relationship with former skinhead, Ethan Green.

Sara and Jeffrey are out for a walk in the woods whe
 Marla
Another interesting tale of violence and perversion. This time we examine relationships, adultery, abortion, abuse, drugs and religion.

Likes:
* Sara's Aunt Bella was a flamboyant and informative character
(view spoiler)
Angela Risner
Again, it's a small county, but it has SO many problems. I don't know about you, but I grew up in a very small county and we never had this kind of crime. But hey, no one's ever bothered to write a book about it either, so here goes.

How do you punish YOUR kids? Well, someone in Grant County thinks it's great to bury them alive for a few days. Only this time, one of them dies and it's up to Sara and Jeffrey to find out what is going on.

This is the fifth book in the series and any author would be
Dominique
Nov 16, 2015 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing story but loved it. Sara, Jeffrey and lena are back with the discovery of a pregnant young woman bureid in the woods but we also go into their personal lives and people from their past reappear. Great book.karin Slaughter is inching her way into my favorite thriller author.
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Another fast-paced good one! One more book in the series to go...
Paula
Jul 05, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy
May 21, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. The story kept me hooked.
The victim was buried alive in the Georgia woods–then killed in a horrifying fashion. When Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver stumble upon the body, both become consumed with finding out who killed the pretty young woman. For them, a harrowing journey begins, one that will test their own turbulent relationship and draw dozens of life into the case.

For as Jeffrey and Sara move further down a trail of shocking surprises and hidden passions, neither is prepared fo
Dotti Elrick
Jan 18, 2012 Dotti Elrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Everything that Karin Slaughter writes is amazing. Even though this is the fifth book in her Grant County series, each book can stand alone.

The chief of police, Jeffery Tolliver, and his ex wife, Sara Linton are trying to rekindle their relationship. When an innocent walk around the lake behind their house sends their professional as well as their personal lives spinning. On this walk Jeffery confesses to Sara that he might be sick. Several years earlier he had an affair whic
Amanda
Apr 18, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact this book is over 500 pages long, I managed to finish it in a single day. There is so much depth in this book, not just in the plot, but in the characters’ lives as well. I like that Karin Slaughter took this beyond the typical “religious cult gone wrong” type of story, which I had been expecting. Instead, she weaved a story that was both surprising and complex. This book could have fallen flat, but it did not. Far from it.

I was glad to see the return of Tessa in this book. She
USA Geography Cha...: Faithless by Karin Slaughter 1 11 Dec 29, 2014 12:38AM
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench, #3)
  • Play Dead (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #4)
  • The Night Season (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #4)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • Hexenkind
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)