Start by marking “Breakthroughs (The Great War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Breakthroughs (The Great War, #3)

Breakthroughs (Great War #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,988 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Is it the war to end all wars--or war without end? What began as a conflict in Europe, when Germany unleashed a lightning assault on its enemies, soon spreads to North America, as a long-simmering hatred between two independent nations explodes in bloody combat. Twice in fifty years the Confederate States of America had humiliated their northern neighbor. Now revenge may a ...more
Published July 3rd 2001 by Del Rey (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Breakthroughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakthroughs

Wise_owl
I'm not sure what I can say about 'Breakthroughs' that wasn't also true of the previous two installments in this series. It has a few interesting turns, and not alot of them I can talk about without disclosing the entirety of the books.

In short, this deals with the alternate history in which the South Won the Civil War, and now, in the 1910's, The English, French, Confederates and Russians wage off against the German-Austria-American alliance.

At this junction the war finally 'turns' and the stal
Peter
Jesus but this was a long slog. The final third of a trilogy telling (in ungodly detail) the First World War through the locus of the USA vs the Confederate States. I appreciate the attention to geographical detail, being a map nerd and having been in many of the places here. But make no mistake-- this isn't *good* by any means. Turtledove sticks to his well-worn method of cycling through all his protagonists, some thinner than others (the women in particular). But at least he tied off this tril ...more
Wade
Mar 11, 2013 Wade added it
Finally the long slog is over. It took three months of my life to finish these three books while I was in a WW1 period and by the third book I felt like it was a challenge more than anything, what it must have felt like to fight WW1. Turtledove takes us through the fictional WW1 on American soil in excruciating detail following numerous characters on all fronts and aspects of the war. I wonder over and over if its effective to document a war that never happened in such fine detail and I alternat ...more
Oleksiy Kononov
A really nice conclusion for the trilogy. I liked the way Turtledove used alternate history within alternate history, when his characters talk about what-have-beens (the War of Secession won by the US, Entente winning WWI etc.). He turned real history, as we know it, into fictional alternate history in the book. Also, the author used real facts from the American Civil War history, WWI history to create his version: CSA losing due to scarce resources, lack of manpower and the red rebellion in the ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1026099.html[return][return]The book is the third of a trilogy about an alternate history war ending in 1917, where the US and Germany are fighting a bitter trench combat against Britain/Canada, the Confederate States of America fifty years after their victory in the War of Secession, and France. All the action takes place on or near the North American continent. The major one of the "Breakthroughs" of the title is the penetration of Confederate lines on the Kentucky/T ...more
Ken
Alternative histories are fun because it puts the what ifs of history out tcovershere to consider. Turtledove does that with this twist on the time from American Civil War thru WW1. A few of the characters we know, like Custer and Teddy Roosevelt. with a large cast to cover the large spread of history and space that this book covers. The beginning is a bit slow, then it gets going and develops into a very good tale.
The other John
This sucks! No, not the book. The book is quite well written and interesting. In it, Mr. Turtledove wraps up the First World War. Well, the first world war of this particular alternate reality. You know, the one where the South had won the Civil War. Now the USA and CSA are fighting across the trenches, just like the European powers. Like the previous volumes of the trilogy, Mr. Turtledove tells the tale from the perspective of a variety of people: soldier and civilian; rich and poor; damnyankee ...more
Ed
I think this was the best book of the First World War trilogy of TL-191. It manages to set up the next book, but also seems like the most realistic. Despite being, in my opinion, better than the previous two books, I think you must read them in order.
Tim Basuino
More alternative history from Turtledove sees the end of his version of World War I. If you couldn't get enough of the 13-15 main characters from the previous two installments, you won't be disappointed.
Mars
It's decent, but really starting to repeat itself.
Also doesn't help that the only thing truly differentiating many of the characters is an accent.
Holden Attradies
A really good read, just like all the rest. As always Turtledoves way of switching between characters on all sides of the war, from all social and finical classes makes it feel like you have an almost omniscient view of this almost was world.

My only complaint about the book was the last quarter. I'm not sure if it was cause I've read it before, but the end seemed to really drag on. I know all the things that happened in that last quarter needed to happen but so much of it felt like... I don't kn
Chen-song Qin
The conclusion to the series doesn't exactly break any new territory. It simply finishes the already-obvious direction that the previous book has set in motion. There are a couple of surprising character deaths, but otherwise nothing needs to be said about this book that hasn't already been said about the others in the series.

The end of this war, just like with real history's WWI, leaves an opening for the defeated side to harbour a "stabbed in the back" mentality. This leads to the next series
Kb
As we get further from the original point of departure (1862), I find myself having to suspend disbelief more and more. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as the series remains highly entertaining. I'm now at the point where I can identify patterns and successfully predict certain plot points. In any other kind of fiction, this might be frowned upon, but given the nature of this genre, it's only natural. I'm so glad I've picked up this series.
Bryce
A satisfying ending to The Great War series, although these three books along with How Few Remain is not an undertaking to be embarked upon lightly. There's a lot of battle and strategy scenes... and they can get tedious unless you really, really like battle and strategy.

Turtledove is always impressive with his knowledge of history and how he can "what if?" the outcome of real events.
Paul Berg
Overall, a really good series. You need to read more than 1 book in the series to make it worthwhile, though, because you spend a lot of time figuring out who's who, who's where. I'm on to the American Empire series next - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline... for a description of this alternative history timeline by Harry Turtledove.
James
Harry Turtledove's alternative version of World War I continues, fought on American soil between the USA and CSA as well as in other parts of the world. I really like the way he follows his characters, sometimes for generations, and the way he examines not only military possibilities but others in politics and other parts of society and life.
John
Same problems as before. Each vignette essentially rehashed the same thing about each character each time. The next series (after the end of WWI) seems genuinely interesting, and it's a measure of how bloody cumbersome I found these books that I'm not going to check it out.
Dergrossest
Still very entertaining, but I just can't read any more of this alternate history stuff anymore (enough with the series of trilogies already!). The only thing that kept me going this far was enjoying watching the South get repeatedly walloped. No mas.
Zach Mott
May 03, 2008 Zach Mott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: alternate history fans
Good book that I thought would have concluded the series ... but, there are 7 more books after these initial three. Yeah, that's a lot of pages to read. Good thing I have nothing but time.
Ryan Mccormick
Perhaps the best of the Great War trilogy, the story really progresses as it never had in any of the previous books. It also sets the stage very nicely for the 20s and 30s.
Ron Horner
This was an enjoyable conclusion to Turtledove's Great War series, and left me wanting to jump into his American Empire series that deals with the inter-war period.
Tyler
The Great War is over! But the series is not! I have a bad Harry Turtledove bias but again I loved this trilogy, and it sets up the rest of the books nicely. Cant wait.
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who read the Balance series.
Another great book in a fun series. Turtledove excels with great characters, excellent combat and a neat twist on reality. I loved reading it.
Chris
I just really loved this series and am curious to read more on it. I love the way he tells the story from every side all at once.
Denis Kaufman
Harry Turtledove re-imagines WWI fought on the North American continent, between the USA and CSA -- as well as on the seas and in Europe.
Gwen
Great stuff! I need to take a little break before I dive into more of this series, though. Maybe during my holiday break...
John
These books just keep getting better & better. Can't wait to start the next series.
Brian
[Full Review to Follow]

Re-reading this book (and series) for review purposes.
Peter Federman
Another one down..and on to the American Empire trilogy...
Tim
Third read was as good as the first.
  • 1901
  • The Two Georges
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • Conquistador
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • Alternate Presidents
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Great War (3 books)
  • American Front (The Great War, #1)
  • Walk in Hell (Great War, #2)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)