Start by marking “Don't Dump the Dog” as Want to Read:
Don't Dump the Dog
Preview

Don't Dump the Dog

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Do you want to dump your dog because he tries to escape your yard? Barks too much? You-know-whats in the house? Doesn’t play well with others? Chewed up your favorite pair of shoes?

You wouldn’t be the first person asking to “return” your pet. And dog rescuer Randy Grim has heard every reason under the sun. But before you load Fido into the back of your car, read this book.

Nook, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Don't Dump the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Dump the Dog

Natalia Corres
Experience plus humor plus an easy going writing style equals an enjoyable and informative read. I work with dogs and cats (and other animals) both in my business and in my volunteer work. It is always heartbreaking to see dogs who have been labelled with bad behaviors when most of the time, the dog could be trained and wants to be a "good" dog, even more heartbreaking when the dog pays for it with their life, as in an owner surrender to a high kill shelter. I would love to get a copy of this bo ...more
Taylor
Love love love this book! Warning there are some sad stories and some really really stupid people out there but it's very informative and fun to read.
Sue
this was a WONDERFUL book!!! I laughed, I wanted to cry and at the same time I received invaluable information about what to expect from a rescue dog, why they behave the way they do, and why everyone should rescue a best friend from a shelter. I wish everyone would read this book, especially if you're one of the "Dumpers" Randy discusses in the book - someone who is considering returning a dog to the rescue for a really dumb reason.
Natasha
Good stuff for when you're feeling a bit discouraged on the dog-training front. If you're looking for a straightforward, indexed training guide, then you'll need to find something to supplement this frequently amusing narrative.

However, it's an interesting glimpse into an organization that does unique work with the animals who need the most love and patience. And he does share some useful tips for curbing frustrating behaviors.
Hobbes
Dog Dump Shaming. Many excuses for returning an adopted rescue dog are ludicrous and astounding... it truly beggars belief.

At the end of this book Randy gets on his Soapbox:

"The excuses you’ve read in this book are real; the names have been changed to protect the guilty.
Often I am asked, “How do you handle the sadness of rescue and returned dogs?” I usually say, “With vodka and Xanax,” which is my way of staying sane and avoiding suckerpunching the next person who walks in the shelter and says,
Stacy Jones
Funny, witty and clever. If you ever wanted a dog training guide that would make you take a very hard look at yourself, while making you laugh your butt off, this is IT.

I recommend this book to everyone who will listen to me. Grim manages to take a very serious and sensitive topic and turn it on its ear and make it funny and heartwarming, in spite of the fact that every single dog he deals with was clearly created by the person who dumped it. Thanks for the work you do, Mr. Grim and thank you f
Elzbeth
For anyone who has ever worked in a shelter or rescue, you understand what Randy is saying. We've all wanted to be able to say what we really feel to those who want to "return" dogs for no good reason, but Randy actually says it. He tells us about emails he's gotten while working at Stray Rescue where people wish to return their dogs for a variety of reasons, from "he licks the baby," to "she grew up." Not only does Randy condemn these people, but he also offers practical advice on how to deal w ...more
Jenny
Hilariously written! I read the whole book even though 90% didn't apply to our specific dog issues. It was a super quick read.
Michelle
Appropriate for: age 13+
You will like this book if you like: Dogs, humorous situations, dog behavior help

I LAUGHED so hard every chapter!!!! All of his stories were very funny and illustrated a point. Good advise for common dog behavior problems

In some chapters he could've given more advise. There are a few times (a cat dies, puppies die in birth) that he doesn't express an ounce of sympathy or mention how sad both these things are. His personality is very gritty so you need to be able to take t
Heidi
Hilarious!! Was expecting to pick up a few dog training tips, which I did. Also, laughed out loud!
Ashley
Half humor, half dog training... this book is freaking great. Randy mostly discusses feral and abused dogs, but I still took away a few training tips that we'll use on our spoiled little dogs (we adopted them, but directly from the families that couldn't take care of them anymore... they were never abused or in a shelter). Although reading the book straight through felt a bit redundant, I think it was necessary in case some one was skimming for a chapter relevant to a specific problem, or didn't ...more
Karen
I like how Randy Grim can use humor to combat the people who act so wrongly to dogs. I applaud his efforts to try to make the world a better place for all of the dogs he possibly can. I found the edited version of his response letter to a couple wanting to return their dog hilarious. The image of him in a quiet disconcerting "outfit" trying to find homes for 13 puppies will probably stay with me a long time!
Meghan
I didn't believe that a dog training book could be hilarious.
But I was seriously laughing out loud at this gay, OCD, people-hater, got-every-kind-of-phobia-possible man.
And, to top it off, he actually gives sound and easy to understand and follow advice on training that everyone- not just a dog whisperer- can implement in their own lives and with their own dogs. Definitely recommend this one.
Rieh Medin
I loved this book; from beginning to end it was amazing.

Plus, I tried several things that he mentioned, such as vinegar for when they go "see a man about a horse" in the house, to using citrus and a spray bottle for barking. Granted, one of them pushed a fire extinguisher onto my foot, but I think overall it was a success.

I'm excited to use his twenty pennies in a tin can technique.
Jamie
It goes like this:

Dear Mr. Dump,

Let me be the first to tell you that this magical FARM all you dog people think exists, well it does not!

Ok those were my words. Anyway, it's definitely not a comprehensive training book - it's more just for laughs and as a supplement to a positive reinforcement training book like "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor. It's certainly funny!
Cynthia
I loved this book. The advice about dealing with common behavior problems in adopted dogs seems good (I'm new at this) and the author seems like a neat guy. Plus it is one of the funniest books I've read in years; I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard. Too bad my library doesn't have his other books; I really want to read them.
Ashley FL
I loved this! We adopted a stray last summer that has proven to be a huge (albeit adorable) challenge. I have read everything about dogs that I can get my hands on, and while this book was not long on usable advice, it was so funny and very reassuring. Definitely one I go back to when I need a little inspiration!
Barbara
This is a must read for anyone who has a dog or loves dogs. It is informative and laugh out loud funny. Randy has an excellent grasp of how dogs look at the world. I loved this book and will use the tips to deal with my dog's incessant barking. Thanks Randy for the laughs, as well as the great tips.
Mindy
AMAZING book, should be required reading for ANYone who is thinking about their first dog. Or even their third, fourth, tenth dog. Seriously. Laughed my ass off, and learned a bunch of stuff I've been doing wrong in the bargain! My next dog will thank Randy Grim!
Betty
Good book about all of the "excuses" we rescuers hear from "dumpers" ....... goes into the normal reasons dogs are given up, and how to try to educate the owner to resolve the issue, in order to keep the pet.
Victoria
What great book! As a lifetime dog owner of primarily rescued dogs, I could definitely relate. Very funny and a suggested read for anyone frustrated with the antics of a challenging dog.
Jenet
If you have ever had a dog with a mind of it's own...this is the book for you!! Very funny with solid ideas on handling that "best friend" that has a mind of it's own.
Carla
Loved this book! I even recommend it for those who do not even own a pet as it's witty sarcastic humor is awesome!
Elizabeth
Very good book. I hope I can remember the wisdom it imparts. Now we need a Don't Can the Cat book.
Elentarri
Excellent book. Nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned in other reviews.
Nicole
Taught me alot about h to relate to dogscin. Very funny way!
Nickie
I'm convinced ... I won't dump my dog :-)
Cdoefer
A very fast read with some good tips.
Angela
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs
  • Made for Each Other: The Biology of the Human-Animal Bond
  • It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump: And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Finally Home: Lessons On Life From A Free Spirited Dog
Miracle Dog: How Quentin Survived the Gas Chamber to Speak for Animals on Death Row Don't Dump the Dog: Outrageous Stories and Simple Solutions to Your Worst Dog Behavior Problems