Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Some stories become favored childhood classics with good reason, such as the tale of Goldilocks. Here, in an abundantly funny retelling, the timehonored drama unfolds. This outrageously frilly, jump-roping Goldilocks skips through the bears’ house, reciting saucy rhymes as she goes. Her wide-eyed glee makes a hilarious contrast with the genteel bear family, and children wi...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Nicholas Linsk
One of the first things that I notice when opening this book was on how lifelike the illustrations are. For one minute I even thought that the pictures were in 3D they were that good. The illustrator did a great job in paying very close attention to detail. I love how the author even showed the bears expressions. You could really tell how each of the characters were feeling throughout the story. Every aspect of this book was well done, including the format, the story line, and the layout of the...more
Moses Parker
This Goldilocks and the Three Bears seems like it take place in the western part of the United States with it log cabinet house and furniture. The clothes and furnishing seems reminiscent of the fifties even though this book was published 2007. The story starts out like the traditional tale but the baby is always having something smart to say. In this case when papa and mama bear said their porridge was too hot baby bear said his was just right with a mouthful porridge. When the bear parents dec...more
Kelly Ramsey
This book is so fun with an old fairy tale classic with updated pictures from when i was little girl . This book is just a very fun suspense book waiting to see if Goldilocks gets caught! The children can and will get really involved and asking many different questions and chance to get the answer to the senario.

this book can be used in the class room in the math or muniplitaives are because the children will learn the difffrnecs in size and weight big or small.
Rodrigo
Goldilocks and the three bears, this story definitely says children's book. The moral of the story is that one day curiosity may get the best of you, something that Goldilocks herself definitely experienced in this story. Because of her curiosity she almost got caught sneaking into a bear family's home, and invading their personal space and things, to her luck she did get caught but had just enough time to escape. The pictures in the book are very detailed; each page has either big or small draw...more
Matthew Triplett
I thought that this book was really fun visually. We all know how the story goes but the art work in this book really caught me eye. Goldilocks was probably my character because she was drawn to be the little girl that never stops. I love that through the whole book she can't stop jumping with her jump rope because she has too much energy. I gave this book four stars because I think that this book would be a good addition to any classroom.

-Matthew Triplett
Amy Schmitz
This version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears provides a fun twist that children will love. Goldilocks is an exciting character who gets into trouble. She goes skipping around the bears house with her jump rope and leaves things out of place. When the bears return from their walk they find signs of someone sitting in their chairs, eating their porridge and sleeping in their beds. Little Wee Bear finds Goldilocks still sleeping in his bed and they send her running out the window. This version pr...more
Mandy Scheuren
Caralyn Buehner puts a spin on one of the favorite nursery tales. The story still consists of Papa Bear, Mama Bear and “Little Wee Bear”. Buehner doesn’t stray too far from the original story; three bowls of porridge, three chairs and three beds all figure into the mix. This outrageously frilly, jump-roping Goldilocks skips through the bears’ house singing “Tra-la-la and tee-hee-hee, won’t you come and jump with me?” Her wide-eyed glee makes a hilarious contrast with the polite bear family. Youn...more
Samantha Hagler
Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a classic story that must always be passed down and kept alive. Everyone knows this story, but this particular author does her own unique and funny retelling of this familiar story. This book could be used to teach sequence of events as well as the use of repetition. The authors, Caralyn and Mark Buehner, use their own craft in retelling this story. They capitalize and italicize certain words. This particular book could be used to get students to pick out differ...more
Leslie Bucklew
I thought this was a nice twist, but this was not my favorite book by Caralyn.
Mary Sesar
This book is a cute version of the original Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Goldilocks comes on by and tastes all the porridge until she finds the perfect taste, sits in all the chairs until one enough is comfy enough, and tries out all the beds until one is cozy enough. The bears come back and are all freaking out because they know something has been tampering with their stuff.
I think this would be a good book to use along with the original to help teach kids to compare and contrast between two...more
Ashley Fischer
Oct 15, 2009 Ashley Fischer added it
Shelves: pbgs-3
This always seems to be an enjoyable text for children. This book can be for younger children as well—the circle text makes it an easier reading for students to predict what will happen next. Children seem to love talking animal characters and this story does great at using the talking bear characters. The pictures in this particular book are not as great as what I think they could be. They don’t really draw me in and they don’t really use nice bright colors and are not of great realistic detail...more
Sabrina
This is a fun version of the original story, and it's great because it doesn't stray from the original, nor does it get weird or artsy-fartsy; it simply has its own personality. The illustrations are adorable and the bears are made a little more personable. I also thought it a great technique that Goldilocks speaks in rhyme while everybody/thing else, including the narration, speaks in simple prose. A fun read - especially if you're comparing various versions of fairy tales.
Brittney Pierce
Goldilocks as a very intrusive little girl. A family of three bears left to go on a walk so their porage could cool down. Goldilocks lets herself into their house and breaks the chairs, eats their porage, and sleeps in their beds. She is finally caught sleeping in little bears bed; she then escapes by jumping out of the window. Has her mother ever taught her any manners? This story is funny and I believe most children would enjoy reading this story.
Elizabeth Burr
This book is so fun the old fairy tales with updated pictures from when i was little. this book is just a fun suspense waiting to see if Goldilocks gets caught! children can get really involved and ask all different questions and chance the senario.

this book is such a great way to add math to your reading by measuring from big, medium to small and other things.
Relyn
May 25, 2012 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library website
Shelves: lawsonland
Back when I was searching for the perfect Goldilocks story, I requested this from my library. It took a month to come. It's adorable and fun with good illustrations. Not amazing or very different from the others - just a nice version.

Lesson Connections
~ Reader's Workshop - Goldilocks Method of choosing a Just Right Book
Jody
This classic story is a favorite of all my grandchildren. My copy came with the CD when I purchased it years ago, so they love listening to the story as they turn the pages, "all by myself" and I like that they can enjoy a book independently. The sound effects on the CD are an excellent addition to their reading enjoyment.
Sung Baick
This classic is always a fun book to read to/with young kids. Aside from it being a great read-aloud, teachers can use this book to talk about a repeating pattern throughout the whole book. Each scene always talks about the papa bear first, mama bear second, and the baby bear last. I would recommend this book for k-2.
Deserae
This book used rhyming to produce a silly remake of a very familiar book and this book is great for young children when planning something for phonemic awareness. This is also a great book to use to teach young children about valuing other people's belongings and the value of family.
Whitney
I absolutely loved this book! The pictures are amazing and the story is a really fun version of the original. I used this book to teach sequencing to my first-graders and it was awesome! They loved being able to put the pictures back in order and were very engaged during the story.
Andrea
This version is a little nontraditional, but I liked it. It was kind of funny, and Melanie shocked me by sitting through almost the whole thing. It is pretty far above what I would expect for her age, but one she picked herself at the library.
Martha Newsom
This was always a favorite tale of mine when I was younger. It was catchy, but also taught the moral of not bothering things that don't belong to you. I enjoyed the illustrations in this book and think it is great for children of all ages.
Breana Vining
Trying to figure who at pooridge, who has been sitting in their chairs, and who has been sleeping in their bed, this story shows children that it is not the greatest idea to enter someone's home and utilize their belongings without permission.
Thuy
Ha! hilarious. my DD loved it, and I loved reading it to her. the bears have this twang to their lines. like I was listening to Davy crocket type of vernacular, or leave it to beaver. no present day slang at all. it's great.
Takeisha Hannor
This book is a famous story that many children enjoy reading. I would use this book to teach children not to take from other students and it will help children with prediction and order because they will guess what comes next in the story.
Brittany Houston
"Goldilocks and the Three Bears" is a classic book and provides a simple story line. Teachers can read this book and ask the students to predict the outcome. Also, this book teaches students about consequences and cause and effect.
Jasmine
This would be a great book to use when teaching the unit on fairytales. This story would also be great to use when comparing different versions of Goldilocks and The three bears since the author adds a few twist to the story.
Irina
This story was a bit different from the original,but it was still quite interesting. In this book, Goldilocks rhymed everything she said, which was cute. This book could be used for a sequencing activity.
Jodi Young
This is a great story to use in the classroom. Students can write down their reactions in the story and what they would have done differently or an alternate ending. It's also good for sequencing and antonyms.
Elizabeth S
Really 3 1/2 stars. Pretty basic re-telling of the traditional story with the great Buehner illustrations. Goldilocks is a real bouncy pill. You want to just smack some civility into her.
Shana Berschler
Growing up the original Goldilocks was one of my favorites. This version is funny, cute, and an easy read for kids. Because of the bright colors, the book is very enjoyable and entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • Beetle Bop
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
Snowmen at Night Snowmen at Christmas Fanny's Dream Snowmen All Year Dex: The Heart of a Hero