Start by marking “Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness

Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness (Jupiter Glazer)

Truth & Dare is a collection of short stories confirming the truth we all know-- high school is painful--and written for those who dare to be different. These edgy short stories are told from the point of view of the quirky, cool, but not necessarily popular teens, who are dealing with all the pressures of growing up--school, friends, music, relationships, parents, and ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Running Press

Jessica at Book Sake
Once again, I love reading anthologies so I can get a taste of authors I’m unfamiliar with and read some additional writings from those I already love. This book has a lot of variations through the storytelling. Sarah Rees Brennan’s tale “The Young Stalker’s Handbook” was quick, cute, and funny. “Girl Jesus on the Inbound Subway” by Matthue Roth was one that caught me by surprise; I had no idea that’s where he was heading with his story. Saundra Mitchell, whom I already love from reading Vespert ...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
One thing I enjoyed about this book is the variety in it. There is all sorts of love and heart ache in it. Lots of strong characters becoming weak. And weak characters becoming strong. Some stories made me angry while others made me happy. I loved the writing flow of the stories. I also wondered if some of the stories in the book would make it into full books. I would love to see more of how the characters progressed.

One thing I didn't really like is that there are some stories that are really g
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was full of love, humor, pain, embarrassing moments, and pretty much anything associated with the game truth & dare. I enjoyed most of the stories, but some were a little boring.

Opening Sentence: You know those intriguing warnings you get before the start of a suspect TV show or movie, such as: “This show contains scenes that some viewers may find disturbing” or “This program contains strong language?”

The Review:

Truth & Dare i
Sophie
Oct 14, 2010 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, anthology
Truth & Dare is an anthology of stories from some of the biggest names in YA that made me laugh, stare blankly in shock and pulled at my heart strings. But as there were twenty of them, I’m going to highlight my three favourites.

Sarah Rees Brennan moves away from fantasy for what I think may be the first time in The Young Stalker’s Handbook. This story is pure fun and perhaps the funniest in the collection. Now, if you’ve been a teenage girl, you’ll have done some boy stalking (I hope, or I’
Jenni
May 23, 2011 Jenni rated it liked it
It has been a long time since I’ve read any short stories so when I got the opportunity to read this anthology of edgy YA stories I couldn’t say no. There are a few authors involved that I was already familiar with but most of the names were new to me. There is certainly a range of stories, though with very few exceptions the protagonists are female and most of the stories deal with heterosexual relationships. There are funny stories, sweet and touching stories and stories with a cautionary tale ...more
Brittany
Apr 11, 2012 Brittany rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This book was lame! I didn't even read all the stories because I read at least seven if not more and I wasn't amazed by any of them so far. So I refuse to continue on with this book. Usually by now in an anthology like this I would have read one or two decent stories, but these all just didn't catch my interest. A stalker girl? Really? If she gets into an actual relationship with this guy she's gonna be nosy checking his texts and emails. She'll also probably follow him to work to see if he's ho ...more
Kip
May 27, 2011 Kip rated it really liked it
This compilation of daring stories by some of today's hottest YA authors pulls off some of the greatest shockers I've read in stories for teens: rape, murder, armed robbery, and sexuality, to name a few.

The best part is that none of those felt gratuitous in any of the stories, and instead they resonated with authentic voices and believable situations.

A few highlights:
The humor of Sarah Rees Brennan and Luisa Plaja
The surprise twists of Matthue Roth and Sara Wilkinson
The raw emotion of Shelley
Kelly
Feb 12, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
I gave this 3 out of 5 stars because for me, it was hit or miss with the stories. All of the stories use "touchy" subject matter, such as sexuality, profanity, rape, etc. Some of the stories were quite good, but most felt like chapters out of a book where I was missing the rest of the story. And the rest of the story seemed necessary to fully comprehend the brief glimpse the given short story was providing. At times comical, at times heartbreaking, these stories covered a vast array of topics &a ...more
Bewitched Bookworms
Mar 16, 2011 Bewitched Bookworms rated it really liked it
Shelves: show-me-the-free
One of the things I enjoy about reading collections such as this is that it introduces me into a bunch of phenomenal new (to me at least!) authors and this collection did not disappoint!

In the over twenty stories included in this book I met edgy, raw characters, characters who were funny and sad and frightening characters who made me laugh, cry and cringe in both shared humiliation and horror. The writing was fresh and compact, delivering stories of surprising depth given their brevity.

Read the
Kbryna
Aug 08, 2012 Kbryna rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, queer, fat-studies
Four and a half stars, really. some great queer, especially lesbian, short fiction; some great Fat fiction; some great short stories any way you look at them. Sara Wilkinson's "Pencils" really knocked my socks off; "The Last Will & Testament of Evan Todd" was also fantastic. Really, a great collection of short YA. I think it's quite hard to write a GOOD YA short story; something about the genre and the form together is especially tricky. Most of the writers in this anthology manage to make i ...more
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was only able to read the first ten stories because my loan expired before I could finish the book. A few were outstanding (Matthew Roth's "Girl Jesus on the Inbound Subway," Saundra Mitchell's "The Last Will and Testament of Evan Todd," Sherry Shahan's "Iris and Jim," Michael Lowenthal's "Lost in Translation"), a couple were pretty good, and the others were meh. I will probably pick the book up again and finish it eventually, but just in case I don't, here's a preliminary rating. You're welco ...more
One Pushy Fox
Mar 04, 2011 One Pushy Fox rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011

Read my full review here.
Miss Clark

This is rated only for Sarah Rees Brennan's piece, The Young Stalker's Handbook, which is also the only story I read. Some of the other stories, esp. Saundra Mitchell's, did indeed look intriguing, but I was pressed for time and so just read Sarah's, as that was the reason I had picked up the anthology.

As such, it is just a cute, brief story, but as always she manages to imbue character and life with just a few brief interactions between her cast.
Rai
May 05, 2011 Rai rated it really liked it
I found the majority of the stories in this book very good, and I was pleased by the diversity of it. Several stories were expertly done and hit home. There was one that I found a bit too heavy-handed and predjudiced to appeal to many young-adults. There were one or two stories that I felt tried to hard to write in the way a fourteen-year-old would, while forgetting the fact that in general a fourteen-year-old's writing is not very good.
Heather
Apr 27, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
We are giving away an ARC here http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2... ends May 3, 2011
Liz
Jul 31, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
Check out the post where I touch on a few of the stories in this anthology:
Daisy
Daisy rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
KiwiGirl
KiwiGirl rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Stasia Simons
Stasia Simons rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Mimisode
Mimisode rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Bibi
Bibi rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2012
JH
JH rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Kalia
Kalia rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Megene Setwaba
Megene Setwaba rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Alysia Forvour
Alysia Forvour rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • Does This Book Make Me Look Fat?
  • Resonance (Dissonance #2)
  • He's After Me
  • What We Lost in the Dark (What We Saw at Night, #2)
  • Interim
  • Complete Nothing (True Love, #2)
  • Cornered: 14 Stories of Bullying and Defiance
  • Melody Burning
  • Anywhere but Here
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • By Any Other Name
  • Nicholas Dane
  • How to Win at High School
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • Destroying Avalon
  • All of Me
  • In My Father's Den
Liz Miles is a writer and editor of books for adults, teens and children. Her work has been sold around the world.
After a first writing commission to investigate and report on the quality of the food, beer and atmosphere in London pubs, her editing career led her into the world of children’s and YA books. She now writes both fiction and non-fiction – much of it supporting literacy in schools. Non-
More about Liz Miles...