Start by marking “Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II” as Want to Read:
Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II

Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II

In Lilibet, master biographer Carolly Erickson turns her skill at writing un-put-downable narrative to telling the remarkable story of Elizabeth II, Queen of England.

With her customary psychological insight, historian Erickson traces the queen's gilded but often thorny path from her overprotected girlhood to her ascension to the throne at twenty-five to her personal and na
Published March 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lilibet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilibet

Shawn Thrasher
Nov 07, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uninspiring and boring. Nothing much new or even particularly interesting. Ran out of steam by the end. Disappointing.
Kristina Hoerner
May 25, 2011 Kristina Hoerner rated it it was ok
This was a readable bio of Queen Elizabeth but I can't really say it was factually accurate.
Mary Vetter
Dec 31, 2016 Mary Vetter rated it really liked it
Fascinating insight into the royal family and how public perceptions of monarchy have changed over the years.
Jul 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I found the biography of Elizabeth II by Erickson to be tedious, irrelevant and ill-advised. The pages were filled with gossip and conjecture. However, this book would be well suited for people who enjoy reading gossip magazines, of which there are quite a few. Many times the statements "they must have" and "surely they" as well as "she surely felt" were used to express sentiments never even alluded to in the facts of any significant event in the queens life. We all see the world and events thro ...more
Amber the Human
Nov 29, 2012 Amber the Human rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royals
I was wandering about the library yesterday (like I do - often) when I saw this book, which I read over a year ago, and wondered if I had 'entered' it into Goodreads. Indeed I had not! A royal book, no less! So here it is. I liked it. I always find it a little weird to be reading unauthorized bios of people who are still alive, but it wasn't too scandalous. Phillip is kind of a jerk, but whatcha gonna do. I need to read the three or so royal books I own that I've been picking up slowly but surel ...more
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit soapy, but still interesting. I know this sounds silly, but the queen has not changed much in my lifetime - and since I was not around or too young to understand the political-social situations of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, I learned a lot about that from reading this book.

Incredible to me that she was celebrating her Silver Jubilee when I was not even two years old.

Lots of interesting insight into the queen's grandparents, parents, uncles, husband, and children.
Lisa Castellano
Jun 10, 2011 Lisa Castellano rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, royal
A nice basic biography about Queen Elizabeth. A lot of material was drawn from Marion Crawford, "Crawfie" the Queen's nanny. It is not a salacious, gossipy book. The bits of concurrent history are tied in akwardly. the book ends in 2008 so there's nothing about Kate and William. Worth getting from the library, but not buying. Not up to Carolly Erickson's usual standards.
Phyllis Fredericksen
I always enjoy a biography on the royals. This book paints a picture of HRH's early life and through 2002. The author seems to be slightly negative about the monarchy. The picture she paints of Prince Phillip was most interesting to me. He comes across as a playboy, adulterer among other things. Glad I read it, but wouldn't recommend it.
erin
Jan 06, 2016 erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just watched The Queen; my interest was piqued. I don't think I've read a biography since high school - Catherine the Great, I believe - it's just not a genre I really enjoy. However, I found Carolly Erickson's style engaging and am looking forward to the Marie Antoinette biography of hers that I've already picked up.
Elaine K
Dueling biographies. I read a little about Pearl Buck, then I put that one down and read a chapter in this one. So far I would say that Pearl is the more compelling character. But, "Lilibet" is a down to earth telling of Queen Elizabeth II's life.
Pat Kiser
May 31, 2016 Pat Kiser rated it liked it
A more personal look at the Queen. I have read many books on the subject but I did learn some new info.

Stacy
Oct 09, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
This book shows that there is so much more to Lilibet than being QEII. I enjoyed seeing another side of the monarch we all grew up with.
Jan
Apr 08, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable biography of Queen Elizabeth II that gives us an intimate look at the Queen and her relationship with her family. Very readable and well researched.
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Glenda
Glenda rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Lorri
Lorri rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Jean
Jean rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Natalie Buttrey
Natalie Buttrey rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Alice Poon
Alice Poon rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Gina Patten
Gina Patten rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2017
Christine Risalvato
Christine Risalvato rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Lindsay Watson
Lindsay Watson rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Alicia Zook
Alicia Zook rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jennifer Murphy
Jennifer Murphy rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Monarch: The Life and Reign of Elizabeth II
  • Victoria and Albert
  • Goddess of the Green Room (Georgian Saga, #10)
  • The Duchess Of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson
  • Magnificent Corpses: Searching Through Europe for St. Peter's Head, St. Claire's Heart, St. Stephen's Hand, and Other Saintly Relic
  • Women of the Third Reich
  • Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage
  • England's Queens
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • Queen Victoria's Gene Haemophilia and the Royal Family
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
Distinguished historian Carolly Erickson is the author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, The First Elizabeth, Great Catherine, Alexandra and many other prize-winning works of fiction and nonfiction. She lives in Hawaii.

More about Carolly Erickson...