Start by marking “Wives of the Fishermen” as Want to Read:
Wives of the Fishermen

Wives of the Fishermen

Beautiful Annie Macleoud and plain Myrtle Duns cannot remember a time when they were not the most loving of friends, unflinchingly loyal to each other in the harsh climate of the South fishing village that is their home. When Myrtle embarks upon the great and passionate love affair of her life, beautiful Annie finds only disappointment. Still their friendship survives, unt ...more
Published January 5th 2000 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Wives of the Fishermen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wives of the Fishermen

Sara Norquay
Jul 14, 2008 Sara Norquay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Parisian friend Isabelle lent me this book just before I left Paris so I read it on the plane. It is a very well-written book that skillfully unfolds the history of a friendship between two women who live in a small fishing village on the east coast of Scotland. It offers a window to a world very much affected by harsh weather and few economic opportunities. But the book's power rests in the pull and push of circumstance against character. For those who are interested in the mysterious labyri ...more
JoAnne
Nov 08, 2011 JoAnne rated it liked it
This was a sweet story about two very different friends. The setting is Scotland and I found myself drinking a lot of tea while reading this. I love everything about Myrtle's character and was engaged and interested in finishing this book. I would catagorize it women's fiction and a love story.
La république des livres
J'ai trouvé ce livre en flânant dans les rayons de ma librairie. Je n'avais jamais entendu parler de roman mais l'annotation du libraire « Une magnifique histoire d'amitié entre deux femme » m'a donné envie d'acheter ce roman.

On est plongé au cœur du quotidien de la vie des femmes de marin. On suit ce quotidien au travers des yeux de Myrtle. C'est un quotidien où la solitude est présente surtout pour Myrtle qui n'a pas d'enfants. Elle est pleinement heureuse que lorsque son mari Archie rentre de
Barbara
Feb 03, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
This is an unusual story about mostly everyday life in the lives of fishermen wives but more about two women that have been friends since childhood. An opposite's attraction even as young girls. Myrtle the rock and Annie the spark, so it's described in the book. A slow moving, but interesting story told only by Myrtle gives a one-sided view, but I liked that, made you wonder in a single perspective just as you would in real life. Not an exciting story but comforting just as the main character is ...more
Jeanne
Aug 03, 2007 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Tale of two friends, flashbacks to childhood. They probably shouldn't have been friends -- one staid and plain, the other flighty and beautiful. The story's slanted in favor of the plain woman who ultimately finds happiness with the men too smart to be pulled in by the other woman.
Tressa
Jan 10, 2008 Tressa rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I was surprised at how much I got into this story. I thought it would be a so-so read, but it was a great one. I recommended it to a fellow reader and she also loved it.

The feeling of doom invaded the story, and I was saddened when the worst happened for the main character. But the ending was satisfactory and left me with a nice little glow. (Don't want to give too much away.)
Carol
Oct 29, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
This is an out of print book but deals with the relatiionship between two girls as they grow up in a very small fishing town in Scotland. The girls are very different but still stay very close friends until a horrible accident.
Sally
Jan 11, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it
I thought this was a lovely book. It details the long friendship between flighty Annie and dependable Myrtle in a small Irish town where the men go out to fish, leaving the women on the shore hoping they will return safely. Widowed,
Myrtle grieves and yet reaches out reliably to those around her.
Dominique Jacques
Dec 21, 2013 Dominique Jacques rated it really liked it
Un vrai bonheur de lecture. Un livre de femme. Une amitié improbable de deux femmes de marins, dans un village d'Ecosse battu par les vents. Sentimental, sans miévrerie. À lire au chaud avec une tasse de thé...et des scones.
Marie Manou
Nov 18, 2016 Marie Manou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un gros coup de coeur pour ce roman, remplie de poésie de vérité.
La plume d'Angela Huth nous emmène au bord de l'eau et nous donne le goût de sel à la bouche, l'odeur des marins dans le nez et beaucoup de douceur au coeur.
Linda
Feb 17, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Angela Huth's writing has a feel for rich detail, rich characters without fussiness. There is a simplicity and pureness that is very appealing in her literary approach to the story of everyday people, everyday lives.
Jen
Jul 28, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Identified with the main character. Loved the setting. Hard to imagine living such a simple life. One of my favorites!
Maicie
Feb 23, 2012 Maicie rated it really liked it
Bitter sweet story of a friendship between two women of opposite natures. Set in a fishing village in Scotland.
Kirsty
Oct 25, 2009 Kirsty rated it liked it
Took a while to get into but still an easy read to switch off from everything. End again could have been a bit more detail but having read 2 of her books must be her way.
Susanne
Oct 10, 2009 Susanne rated it really liked it
Love the description of the Scottish village where this takes place. The location is (almost) the most interesting character in the book.
Karen Engel
Jul 11, 2015 Karen Engel rated it really liked it
Beautifully descriptive story of a small fishing village in Scotland, the scenery, and the characters as they progressed from youth to adulthood.
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2015
Indira
Indira rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2009
Elizabethreads
Elizabethreads rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2010
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Renax
Renax rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2012
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2007
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2011
Annika
Annika rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2009
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Kelle
Kelle rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2009
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
  • Single White Female
  • His Other Wife
  • The Second Silence
  • Everything Must Go
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • Talking to the Dead
  • Wives Behaving Badly
  • The Best of Friends
  • This Is Graceanne's Book: A Novel
  • Abby Takes a Stand (Scraps of Time, #1)
  • Past Perfect
  • The Yellow Room Conspiracy
  • The Company
Daughter of actor Harold Huth, english novelist Angela Huth married journalist and travel writer Quentin Crewe in the 1960s and with him had a daughter. She presented programmes on the BBC, including How It Is and Why and Man Alive.

She also writes plays for radio, television and stage, and is a well-known freelance journalist, critic and broadcaster. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literat
More about Angela Huth...