Drum

Drum (Falconhurst #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The world of DRUM is a world of brutality, lust and miscegenation… where chained Negroes are sold like cattle… where prize specimens, male and female are chosen to work in exotic bordellos, and on slave-breeding plantations… where masters, drunk with the power of life and death, force their slaves to entertain them with unspeakable acts.
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published October 12th 1981 by Fawcett (first published 1962)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
Nov 21, 2011 Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of pulpy trash
Recommended to Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) by: Lynn
A wise person once said on the internets:
Admittedly, I am a fan of this type of garbage. Some might think - you're a Black woman, why would you read books like this? Well, I adore horror novels too, but I don't condone the slaughter of teenagers with chainsaws...

Because of the sticky issue of race and a generation of the PC Thought Police, there's a little voice in the back of my mind that wants to have a valid and "socially-approved" reason for loving this genre so much. There's no straw to gra...more
Ij
I read this book many years ago. I don't remember the whole story; however, I remember it is about slavery in the U.S. I think this is a historical fiction because the book actually reflexes many of the atrocities that actually occurred during slavery. The characters are not real; however, slave owners, overseers, and slaves are a historical fact. Slaves had to work as house and field slaves under owners and overseers who saw them as property rather than human beings. Slaves had to live in poor...more
Freelance

First time reading this book, it was for a friend who wanted help writing her book report for her class. She told me that everytime she would read it, she would get so infuriated that she would throw the book on the floor and stomp it repeatedly. This was in 1964. In my opinion, it gave a very different aspect of the south, slavery, and the unique relationship that exists between the African-American's even of today. By the time "Root" was made into a movie, it was so similar to Onstotts novel b

Steve
Jon
Good Lord! Vivid, graphically told chronicle of three generations of slaves. The story begins in Africa (with elements that are quite similar to what later appeared in the minseries Roots) and follows a young man who is sold into slavery by his greedy family. This slave, Tamboura, becomes involved with a Cuban master and his beautiful mistress. The second phase concerns his son, Drum, and Drum's life with the mistress who is now a bordello madam in New Orleans. The final part is about Drum's son...more
Jeannie
I'm re-reading books I read while a pre-teen. Lord only knows this was not a proper book for me to be reading at that age but the thrill of knowing such is what made it all the more fun. Ha. For some reason I have an odd attraction to the books in this series. I'm enjoying them today as much as I did then and this one was no exception.
Rick Brindle
I've cleared out my bookshelves many times, but this one always stays. I've read it several times too. It's an excellent, evocative story abut slavery, taking the reader back in time, as though you were there. Very well written, with vivid characters, all believable, no cliched right and wrong characters, just a great story. Although the fate of the three principal characters leave the reader pondering the moral of our fate for tasting forbidden fruit.
Faith
I don't have the exact read start and finish dates on many books I have read this year. The dates are approximated, as I have been in & out of the hospital, and on bed rest, and read 2-5 books a day depending on the book & length and my ability to focus. All dates are approximated, by month.
Laurie
Loved this book. Could not put it down. Read it on vacation with my sister. Mom read it years ago and still talks about it being a cant put down book. Took long time to find 2 hard copies a few years back but did it. Won't ever get rid of it, it has a permanent home on my bookshelf. :-)
Charles
I think a book called "Mandingo" basically started the "Plantation" fiction craze and this was a follow-up to that. I barely made it through it. Long and boring, I thought. I pretty much was just scanning toward the end.
Chris Gager
Hard to rate after so many years. Lot's of sex for sure. White on white, white on black, black on black, black on white, etc. Date read is a guess.
Bobby
started out slow but still a good book
Sheri Magnuson
Sheri Magnuson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jennifer Clark
Jennifer Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Ronald Lee
Ronald Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Telishaj
Telishaj marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Janet Langston
Janet Langston marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Terry Biccum
Terry Biccum marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Ray Lewis
Ray Lewis marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Anna Coffey
Anna Coffey marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Tanji
Tanji marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Trecia
Trecia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
119365
(Information from the article "The Master of Mandingo" by Rudy Maxa, which appeared in The Washington Post, July 13, 1975.)

The son of a midwestern general store owner, he moved to California with his widowed mother in the early 1900s and was a local breeder and judge in regional dog shows. He was an eccentric who was happy with a life of little work, ample cigarettes, and gin.

After collaborating w...more
More about Kyle Onstott...
Mandingo Master of Falconhurst The Tattooed Rood Child of the Sun Falconhurst Fancy