Start by marking “Ten Terrible Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

"Ten terrible dinosaurs, standing in a line . . ". One by one Paul Stickland's rowdy and rollicking dinosaurs leave the scene. Children count down along with the text until there is only one sleepy dinosaur left -- until he gets a loud surprise from his nine noisy pals!
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

Dinotopia by James GurneyHow Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane YolenEdwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems
Dinosaur Picture Books
112th out of 138 books — 27 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleOne Gorilla by Anthony Browne1 Is One by Tasha TudorAnno's Counting House by Mitsumasa AnnoDog Loves Counting by Louise Yates
Counting Books
109th out of 142 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie Martel
This book has colorful illustrations that kids will love. Not only does it do a great job of sequencing numbers but also it helps them count backwards from 10-1. You could also use this book for inferring.
Bailey Schmidt
Sep 21, 2016 Bailey Schmidt rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
Read this in class as a test activity..Had to make a "lesson plan" for student in the second grade. I would use this in the K-3 classroom for a variety of reasons. Students would benefit from the idea of counting backwards as it is usually thought that students would prefer a 1-10 order. This would test their ability of counting in reverse. It also has great rhyme and flow. The illustrations were also stellar, very bright and interactive. Any young student would immediately be attracted to this ...more
I liked this book. I would use it to introduce subtraction because there is one less dinosaur on each page. I liked the illustrations. I liked when the book rhymed. A lot of children like dinosaurs so this book could be interesting for my students as they learn to count down from ten.

Interest Level
Type of Book: Count
Kellie
Aug 11, 2013 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This came through the library circulation desk the other day and I got sucked in. The book is just another one of those counting books in rhyme. Or maybe not. I think the rhyming scheme was a little more sophisticated than usual and the final scene makes this book great for story-time. I also enjoyed the illustrations of the dinosaurs. A definite not miss and something the kiddies will enjoy . . . 5 stars ROAR!
Stef Rozitis
Jun 19, 2014 Stef Rozitis rated it it was ok
Shelves: early-childhood
I can't say this one did it for me. One dinosaur gets removed for being "too spiky" and then I stopped listening. Usually we are telling the children it is ok to be different. I guess the author knew that dinosaurs are popular and counting is good and stopped there without thinking of the social implications. Many people say you should be apolitical with children, I think being apolitical is an illusion and you have to be carefully political as children always are.
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 Kelsea Breedlove rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, is an engaging story that countdowns from 10 sleepy dinosaurs until it gets to the final dinosaur. It's very descriptive with its' pictures and uses simplistic language to help readers understand the countdown of the story. This story would be useful when teachers are starting to help their students understand that just like you can count up with numbers, you can also countdown numbers. It shows them exactly how to go about learning to count backwards.
Meg McGregor
Jun 26, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A extremely cute counting book this will hold your little one's attention!

You begin by counting ten terrible dinosaurs standing in a line and count down to one weary dinosaur who soon began to snore.
Courtney Kilbourn
Sep 21, 2014 Courtney Kilbourn rated it really liked it
This book tickled me pink. The second I read it I wanted to take it home and read it to my nieces. The illustrations were very vivid and colorful. I am actually glad I have this website so when I do become a teacher I can look back and use this book in my classroom. I loved it!!!
Cai
There were ten terrible dinosaurs out to play but one by one they all have to go away.

Daddy rates this 10/10. I loved the counting and there was even a bit of alliteration in there too.

V @ 6 months.
jacky
Mar 11, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
Pretty good counting book. It goes from backwards from ten to one. The dinosaurs are colorful and fun. I loved the suspense my librarian created with the roar at the end.
Becky B
Oct 08, 2012 Becky B rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning readers, Dinosaur lovers
A great book for beginning readers or little ones learning numbers. Every time I read this book to little ones in the library they are enthralled. They love the "terrible" dinosaurs.
Taylor Johnson
Apr 01, 2013 Taylor Johnson rated it really liked it
This is a fun counting book that children will love especially the dinosaur lovers in the classroom.
Ronster
Dec 02, 2007 Ronster rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
Children's counting book. Dinosaurs run into obstacles which cause the number of dinosaurs to decrease. Great cartoon illustrations and bold colors. Use in a math unit for counting backwards.
Leslie
dinosaurs ; numbers ; concepts
Amanda
May 08, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Library find. My 2y/o DS likes the numbers, but prefers to "read" the book backwards since the numbers are then in order.
Victoria Clay
Apr 15, 2012 Victoria Clay rated it really liked it
This is a very cute counting book. It can be used for rhyming,i.e. if students understand rhyming they'll be able to chime in. It is also great for read aloud.
Shawn Elswick
This book would be really good for young students trying to learn numbers and subtraction. It had a very fun rhyme scheme and also had very good illustrations.
Caelyn
Caelyn rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Karen Yancey
Karen Yancey rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Zac
Zac rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2007
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Sam Hughes
Sam Hughes rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Lilly
Lilly rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Dee6265
Dee6265 rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • Roar!: A Noisy Counting Book
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • 1-2-3: a Child's First Counting Book
  • Kipper's Toybox (Kipper)
Children's book illustrator, author and paper engineer. Creator of many books including Dinosaur Roar!, Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Galore, The Christmas Bear, One Bear One Dog, A Number of Dinosaurs, Truck Jam and Big Dig.

Find Paul Stickland on Google+

Find Strange Store on Google+

Pop Up Paper Blog

Paul Stickland Blog

StrangeStore Blog

DinosaurStore Blog

Paul Stickland Website

Pop
More about Paul Stickland...