Start by marking “Sam the Sudden” as Want to Read:
Sam the Sudden

Sam the Sudden

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Not-so-fresh off the tramp steamer from America, Sam Shotter settles in the sleepy suburb of Valley Fields. His pastoral peace is short-lived, however, when Soapy Molloy, Dolly the Dip, and Chimp Twist arrive on the scene looking for two million dollars they seem to have mislaid in the vicinity. Not only does Sam discover he's living right bang next door to the girl of his ...more
Hardcover, Everyman Wodehouse, 320 pages
Published May 18th 2007 by Everyman (first published October 15th 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Sam the Sudden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam the Sudden

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. WodehouseRight Ho, Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseLeave It to Psmith by P.G. WodehouseThe Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseCarry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Best P.G. Wodehouse
62nd out of 104 books — 103 voters
Strong Poison by Dorothy L. SayersMurder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. SayersUnnatural Death by Dorothy L. SayersGaudy Night by Dorothy L. SayersWhose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers
Between-The-Wars
47th out of 79 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Mar 22, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I was having a rotten time of it -- it happens to us all -- when I suddenly said to myself, “Now why don't you pick up a P. G. Wodehouse novel you haven't read before?" Well, I did, and before you know it, that blister of a boss of mine receded into the distance and I was laughing my head off.

Sam the Sudden is not the best or the funniest of Wodehouse's novels, but there is enough there to render your world a jollier place, what with those scamps Chimp Twist and Soapy and Dolly Molloy trying to
Ian Wood
Nov 01, 2007 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Sam the Sudden’ is the story of ex-Wrykyn man San Shotter who is sent to England by his Uncle in the Company of the proprietor of the Mammoth Publishing Company, Lord Tilbury, whom we previously met in Wodehouse’s world in ‘Bill the Conqueror’ before he became titled and was plain Sir George Pyke. Also mentioned from ‘Bill the Conqueror’ is Percy Pilbeam now the editor of Society Spice, one of Mammoth’s papers.

Sam has fallen in love with Kay Derrick after been stranded in Canada with nothing bu
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 Victoria Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, wodehouse, owned
Very funny and very appealing hero, like Uneasy Money. Sent by American uncle to UK to work for newspaper. He lives in the suburbs and there is a mystery about the house he is living in.
Krisz
Mar 22, 2014 Krisz rated it really liked it
Just the right amount of turns and humour: didn't make me cry suffering a laughing fit, like some of his other novels do, still it's one of the best of PGW.
Vimala B
Dec 07, 2014 Vimala B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sam-the-sudden
P G Wodehouse never fails me and he always keeps-up his promise.

The moments enjoyed with the book are the moments for ever.

A feeling like 'Napoleon outlook and Shakespearean knowledge'...!!!
Huw Collingbourne
Oct 16, 2015 Huw Collingbourne rated it liked it
An early Wodehouse and far from being one of his best. Worth reading even so for the simple joy of Wodehouse's writing.
Phillip
Jul 13, 2016 Phillip rated it it was amazing
This is a truly satisfying stand alone Wodehouse novel. I would say it is slightly less than one of the great ones. I highly recommend it.
Caroline
Jun 20, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Chimp Twist makes another appearance!
Alan
Jun 21, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing
Hilariously funny; I hadn't laughed so much in ages :-D
Bob
Sep 28, 2010 Bob rated it really liked it
I needed something lightweight after The Radetzky March and Wodehouse always provides. While Bertie Wooster of the Jeeves series always narrowly escapes getting snared in marriage, the eponymous protagonist here is in a hurry to get the girl - basically a screwball comedy with a happy ending and a few classical allusions.
Ian
Feb 28, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story set in Wodehouse's standard setting for London suburban life, Valley Fields. The story features the American con artists the Molloys, plus the even dodgier Chimp Twist, endeavouring to recover stolen bearer bonds from a Valley Fields villa. The story was pretty much replicated in 1961 with Ice in the Bedroom.
Ritika
May 17, 2016 Ritika rated it liked it
It is funny, oh yes, it is. It is a quintessential Wodehouse product. But some activities still continue to be molestation, whatever the trigger is considered to be. And there is always the subtle class difference. Ah well, times change, and it is still a funny Wodehouse, and thankfully, not a timeless one.
Jenifer
Oct 06, 2010 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes British humor
Recommended to Jenifer by: Stephen
This was a fun, enjoyable, light read. I liked it better than the Jeeves book I read because each chapter in the Jeeves book had a problem and resolution; whereas, this one was a complete novel and so had a little more depth. I just love Wodehouse's wit and writing style.
A
Aug 23, 2013 A rated it it was amazing
Whilst Jeeves and Wooster are great, I think there are less well-known gems amongst the canon and this is one of them.

Witty, clever and some great dialogue. A great, escapist pick-me-up.
David Nadolny
Mar 22, 2012 David Nadolny rated it it was amazing
Another Wodehouse classic. Intertwining the lives of the British upper, middle and lower classes in a spectacular fashion! He never fails to amuse. What Ho!
Matt
Oct 01, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Classic Wodehouse -- a clever plot, fun characters, and impeccable writing. The repartee between Sam and Kay is particularly amusing. A really fun one.
Will Adam
May 07, 2009 Will Adam rated it liked it
Quick read. Like the Grisham of his time but that time seems much more talented than now. Good twists and turns but most of all, just a fun and funny read.
Dave Peticolas
Oct 08, 2014 Dave Peticolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sam Shotter gets the girl. P.G. basically writes the same set of stories over and over, but he does it so incredibly well, I never get tired.

Daisy
Apr 09, 2012 Daisy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daisy by: PG
PG himself says this is one of his own favorite novels.

Jason Mock
May 01, 2013 Jason Mock rated it liked it
An early Wodehouse romance featuring an ugly dog, soliciting cops,
thieves and lots of hilarious dialogue.
Aaron Gray

Not my favorite Wodehouse. Some funny moments, but the characters were a bit weak.
Swetha Sundaram
Feb 28, 2015 Swetha Sundaram rated it it was amazing
My very first P.G.Wodehouse! This book got me addicted to P.G.W! Very witty!
Bob Ladwig
Dec 11, 2010 Bob Ladwig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wodehouse as usually serves up a humourous story with romantic interests.
Gallagher
May 03, 2008 Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. A kitten fell into a bowl of custard. Five stars!
Jennieowen
Oct 06, 2009 Jennieowen rated it really liked it
Early Wodehouse but very Wodehouse. Lots of chuckles.
Douglas Wilson
Dec 13, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour_satire
Jolly good.
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Carina Nicklasson
Carina Nicklasson rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Best of S J Perelman
  • Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
  • Nonsense Novels
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • 97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile
  • The Summer Gardener
  • Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
  • Love Letters
  • Social Movements 1768-2004
  • Mr. Pink-Whistle Interferes
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Cities
  • WTF? Work: How to Survive 101 of the Office's Worst F*#!-ing Situations
  • Martin Bircks ungdom (Delfinserien)
  • Living with Darwin: Evolution, Design, and the Future of Faith
  • The Primrose Path
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...