Start by marking “Yes We Can: A Biography of President Barack Obama” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  51 reviews
THIS IS OUR MOMENT

“This is our time—to put people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth—that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope; and where we are met with cynicism and doubt, and those who tell us that we can’t, we
Published June 24th 2008 by Feiwel & Friends (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Yes We Can, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes We Can

Gaijinmama
My 9 year old son prefers nonfiction and he has been fascinated by Barack Obama since the Presidential campaign last year. Yes We Can is a great young-adult book about President Obama, from his childhood right up to the big election. Several of my university EFL students chose this book, as the level isn't too hard for an intermediate learner.
As a de facto single Mom Monday to Friday, I have to say I particularly sympathized with Obama's mom's efforts to bring up her child without much help from
3shivk3
SWBST

SOMEBODY: Barack Obama

WANTED: to help people living in black communities live a better life, and at the same time he wanted to make a difference in the apartheid community in the united states of amarica

BUT: he grew up in a average class family and did not go to a vey good school.

SO: he focused really hard in school and the graduated and got enrolled int Harvard university.

THEN: he took low paying jobs to help others but then his boss convinced him to run for president and then he ended u
Jacob Lewis
The book is about the life of Barrack Obama. The book first of talk about the life of his real dad growing up in Kenya and meeting his real mom. After this Barrack Obama was born but his real dad move away before Barrack was born. This was the being of Barrack life living with his grandpa and grandma in Hawii. Obama was a great basketball player when he first start in 6th grade. In High School Obama was get scholership to play basketball in Divison 1 school. Obama graduted from high school and g ...more
Allison Lupton
Thomas, G. (2009). Yes we can: A biography of Barack Obama (rev. ed.). New York, NY: Feiwel and Friends.
Reviewed By: Allison Lupton
Reference Type: Biographical Reference
Reading Level: 6th-9th
Call Number: 973.932
Cost: $7
Description: This book discusses the life of President Obama, emphasizing his childhood and the many events that shaped him such as only seeing his father once and his exposure to many various cultures.
Relevance/Relationship: With an intense amount of pride in our country due to
Qin Cai
Yes We Can: A Biography of Barack Obama was one of the best presidential biographies I've read. On my list, it comes in as a close second to John F. Kennedy's biography by Michael O'Brien. This book was published around the same time that Obama won his first presidency. Yes We Can was an emotional story of Barack Obama's life. Garen Thomas wrote about Obama's struggle to fit in as a young child, he wrote about Obama's hardships with not knowing his biological father, and even included his experi ...more
Cory
Sorry Ash, thanks for the book but this one is only getting 2 stars. I started reading this book and realized how much of a mistake I had made. Not only was it a book about how great the democrats and black people in general are, and how suppressed they've been by the white people, its also written for kids. While I was reading I found that England is a country in Europe. AIDS is a disease thats killing many in Africa, and Apartheid was a bad system of racial discrimination in South Africa. It k ...more
Nicole Chacon
"...but in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope. For when we have faced down impossible odds, when we've been told that we're not ready, or that we shouldn't try, or that we can't, generations of Americans have responded with a simple creed that sums up the spirit of a people. Yes we can."
Veronica Ruiz
This is a chapter book geared towards students in grades sixth through eighth. I chose to read this book because it is suitable with all of the current issues. The 2012 election is coming up and Barack Obama is planning on running again. Although there are many different opinions about him, he is our current president and it would be nice to know his life story. This chapter book was a fairly easy read yet it was still filled with lots of knowledge from where Obama came from and grew up to thing ...more
Kevin Arth
This was a good book. It gave me better insight into the life of the president and it was fascinating learning some of the details of his upbringing that led to where he is today.

This book is geared toward younger readers (maybe early teen). I read the whole thing in an evening. It takes care to define terms that the author thinks would be confusing to this age group. For example, when discussing the President's genealogy, they take the time to explain that in many African countries, it's common
Libenny Saint-Hilaire
Very inspirational and interesting to read about the president's life. I felt as if I was experiencing his hardships and then overcoming them the same way he did. Amazing life story totally a must read!
Kate
This book is suposedly geared towards school kids. I guess that`s one way of saying it`s not a very well-written book, not a very sophisticated read. I`m not entirely sure if a school-aged child (9+) would find it interesting, or even be able to make sense of some of the confusingly worded paragraphs I stumbled through.

But I bought it half-price to see if I could learn more about Obama`s early years, and this book allowed me to do just that without going to the trouble of reading any (or all) of
Emir DA BOSS
The book "Yes We Can" is a book that describes Barack Hussein Obama Jr's long road to the oval office it lets us know how lucky we are that our parents are always around to help us, because this book showed me Barack's struggles, victories and defeats. He could've had more if he was with his father, but his mother did the best she could and it's thanks to her efforts and sacrifices that Barack was able to make it. Barack was a man never shy of perfection and he proved to most of us that dreams ...more
Alfredo
This book is an inspiration for me, motivating me to read more books, I believe education is the key that allow our people to hope for something else, i am agree about that he is a citizen of the world because he has lived in several places. He believes in knowledge and love, i think is a powerful combination.
The main idea that a like from this book is "we may come from differents places and have differents stories but we share common HOPE and one very American Dream. After read this book i rea
Megan
This book actually gave me more insight into Barack Obama's history and how hard of a life he had growing up. I didn't realize how often he moved growing up (Hawaii to Indonesia to Kenya to New York to California to Kansas to Chicago). Jeez! I thought it was interesting how involved he became with the whole black vs. white saga going on while he was growing up. This is also a YA biography for a class I have and I liked how it explained a little about the history portions of the book (ie: Jim Cro ...more
Jenny
This was an interesting biography. One exceptionally interesting thing was that anything that could be construed as innapropriate in his background was glossed over and given an excuse. I found several "facts" that I'm quite unsure of. This book had a definitely liberal-minset tone, don't read it unless you agree with the democrats completely or won't be swayed by propoganda.

Despite all that, Barack is an interesting man, and I'm glad I know more about his background now.
Samantha Lazar
What an amazing man! I am so excited to see what he will do to improve our country. He is intelligent and very capable of moving our country in the right direction. He is very well-educated man who has just made history in America.
He seems very honest and determined, and his words are very powerful. This is a great book, and I think everyone should read this book, even the people who doubt him because there is so much to learn about Obama.
Jose
This book was interesting because I learned a lot of new information about Barack Obama and his life. It was pretty easy to read and understand and It was interesting. I leaned Barack travled all over the place as a kid and overcome many obstacles. I would recommend this to teens and adults who want to learn more about the President that will change America.

David
Yes we can is about the good and bad things thathelped Barack Obama become president of the United States of America. This is about how he meets michelle and how he gets seperated from his cousins that lived in Hawii. Is a good book ids nthat it gears to politics alot. People that like Obama and love politics go for it. So overall this was book for me or my type.
Deb
Pretty dry book about Obama's life up until the elections. It does explain government and politics so that middle schoolers can understand, but there's not much flair to the writing. I read it because my son had to and because I wanted to learn more about Obama's childhood. I got that so I might recommend it to students.
Liz
I learned what Barack Obama's life was like as a child and all of the way up to his decision to run for president. It even tells about his mother and father's deaths and his harder times in life and when he was trying to help those in need in Chicago. It was wonderful and amazing it even had his family tree in it.
Samantha
Really enjoyed reading about our current president and his life up to his election. Didn't know some of what I read. Would include this in my classroom for older students. The book does a good job of defining words 12 year-olds may not know, but I would probably keep this for middle school grades.
Carol Schultz
Well written biography from youth to becoming president. Much of the information was on the news and political pieces but the book fills in some of the blanks giving a better understanding of the context of Barack Obama's life. Written at a juvenile level it is a quick and entertaining read.
Ryan
A book like this one can really open one's eyes to the hardships of Barack Obama. It allows us to connect with his life and troubles such as losing his father and mother. If his grandmoter were here today watching Mr. President lead our country out of a recession, she would've been very proud.
Nicole
This book was good. There is a lot of dates and facts, so I had to write the page numbers down! It's also about politics and state laws. I have to admit, it was boring at some parts. READ IT IF YOU LIKE POLITICS OR IF YOU WANT TO BECOME PRESIDENT! [Ogechi, lol!:]
Isakree
It's a story about BaracK ObamA and his adventures from the child of a single mother to the president of the United states of America. I think it was a OK book, I really don't like biographies, because I don't think most lifes are exiting enough.
Caroline
Written for a middle school reading level, this book was highly biased toward Obama. I learned all the basics I wanted to know about his background and I didn't feel like I wanted to read anything more complex!
S
Not really a fan of nonfiction books. This book just wasn't very interesting to me.
Elsie
I thoroughly enjoyed learning about our current US President. I'm disappointed that we live in such a racial world. I like to think of us all being brothers and sisters.
Kim Possible
I really don't like biographies and this one was painful to read. I really don't care about Barack Obama but was forced to read it for a reading assignment in class.
Kayla Schum
This book is good for students to read to teach them about our current President. It will help students understand that hard work and determination they can do anything.
  • Popular Vote
  • Showdown
  • Hot Lunch
  • Change We Can Believe In: Barack Obama's Plan to Renew America's Promise
  • After All, You're Callie Boone
Garen Thomas worked as an editor in children's book publishing for more than a decade, editing numerous notable children’s picture books and novels. She continues to act as a consultant and children's books editor on a freelance basis while working on her own writing and film projects. She holds an A.B. from Harvard University.
More about Garen Thomas...