Start by marking “Duendes (Expediente X, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duendes (Expediente X, #1)

Duendes (X-Files #1)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Con Duendes se inicia la publicacin en forma novelada de los famosos Expedientes X popularizados por la serie de televisin. En este primer caso, los dos agentes del FBI el incorfomista Mulder y la cerebral Scully- investigan dos misterios asesinatos ocurridos en las inmediaciones de una base militar en proceso de desmantelamiento. Ambas vctimas presentan heridas idnticas: ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Plaza y Janés (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Duendes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duendes

Jamie
There’s a folder on my hard drive— named “Apocrypha,” what else?— that, like maybe anyone who came of age on the internet at the same time, is full of X-Files fan fiction. Stories I’ve saved, stories I’ve written (like an ambitious/incomplete undertaking where I elaborated greatly on the canon of seasons 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, episode by episode), so there’s the understatement for you: that I’ve read and written, and still write and read, my share of X-Files fanfic. I may be able to speak with some ...more
Greg
Having been a fan of the television series since it started back in the mid-1990s, it's strange that I never got to read a novel based on The X-Files until now - nearly 20 years later! This book is also the first Charles Grant novel I've ever read, which again seems strange that I've not read one before. I suppose there's a first time for everything and it doesn't really matter when it happens!

As for the story itself, it wasn't bad but it wasn't exceptional either. It's written on the basis that
Oceana2602
More official fanfic that I read before I ever discovered "real" fanfic. Gods, how I ever survived my childhood (do teenage years qualify as childhood? Because I think they do) without the internet I don't know. Also, gods, how I ever survived my twenties WITH the internet I don't know.
Other things I don't know: what this book was about, if it featured Krycek and if he and Mulder got to make out while waiting for a UFO to lan in an alleyway. Though I'm guessing that none of this happened. Still
Andrew
Ok Its sunday and time for some retro reading - I will put my hand up (rather sheepishly) that at the time of its airing I loved the x-files. They were something new and interesting and had a sense of fun - even if they became harder and harder to believe - I remember the tag line on the first episode (or was it the pilot) where they said it was based on a true story, hmm how closely based I wonder. Anyway this book follows the same formula as the show - although it does not quote a specific tim ...more
Dillon
Dec 25, 2012 Dillon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The X Files: Goblins, was a book that was easy and fun to read. Without being difficult and mind boggling, it's a great book to just kick back and relax without thinking to much. While this is a plus, I would've enjoyed a little more mystery instead of being so blunt and obvious. Other than that, I quite enjoyed this book.
4/5
Stephen Osborne
Not bad. Grant has the characters down, but the whole thing has a rushed feeling about it. Some scenes could have been clearer, some characters more fully explored. FBI agent Andrews, in particular, made me go "huh?"
Jessie Radford
I am a big fan of the t.v series. So I quickly took to searching for the books to read as well. Well a few I have read were good this one was just ok. I have to admit the actual culprit caught me by surprise. The book seem a bit slow to start. After a few chapters I found myself pushing myself to get it finished. Towards the end when the action kicked in things flowed much easier, but I found the quick switches between the character POV slightly confusing. It left me having to pause and recall e ...more
Randolph Carter
I'm not sure why Grant picked up this and another piece of X-Files hack work Whirlwind. Maybe he needed to pay the mortgage or he just really liked the show. Hopefully he made a decent deal and did pay the mortgage since this particular copy I have is in the 22nd printing! Anyway, in my quest to read all things Grant, I dove into this one because I had it and it was the only thing around when I needed something to read.

I don't believe this is a novelization of an episode per se but a novel inten
oxana
Sep 10, 2011 oxana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of TV show X-Files and those interested in fictional paranormal investigation
Strong 3½ or 4 stars.

I know I've probably read this book before in Finnish, years ago. If you've enjoyed the X-Files tv-show, then you're bound to enjoy this book as well; it reads like the show.

Mulder and Scully (and their "babysitters") get to solve a case with strange murders. "Hands coming out of trees and walls" seems like the only clue, although the statements are not entirely credible. This ought to, and does, capture Mulder's attention, and leads him and his fellow agents down yet anothe
Mat Ma
This book fits into the bingo board "A book with a male protagonist"
Because my mum suggested it to me as it was a very old book both my brothers read as a child
I liked the cases they had to solve, they were interesting
I didn't like the ending, it was quite confusing to understand.
I didn't learn anything from this book
I didn't notice anything unusual from this book
An interesting quote from this book is "I screwed up.' Her hands again. 'Damnit, I screwed up.'
'Nope' [Mulder] said... 'If I was dead,
Joshua
Good story. Pretty much like the television series. It jumped around a good bit. Infact, it was a bit annoying. There was no real breaks between jumps between characters and plot. Moulder and Scully would be doing something Bam! a single paragraph for the "goblin" Bam! back to Molder and Scully.

Outside of these weird jumps, it was fairly good and in true X Files form it wrapped up really quickly in the last ten pages. It had the usual twists and turns. A couple backstabbing agents and other "go
Gustavo Hernandez
Es un buen libro, para pasar el rato y la trama es buena.
Paige Anderson
I liked the idea behind it, but I thought the writing was a little choppy in some spots. I also thought that Mulder and Scully were written out of character but Scully especially. It wasn't a bad book by any means, but it wasn't great either. I liked Ground Zero better because the writing flowed a bit more and both Scully and Mulder were written more like their character in the show. I would recommend that book instead of this one.
Levi
Oct 31, 2008 Levi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes sicence fiction
this book is a suspenseful book and very imaginative book the storys starts with a murder of a army man going to be court marshlled then he gets drunk in the woods then finds a jeep with a woman and a man in the shadows so he goes over to investigate and the man in the shadows kills the woman and then the army man is stabed and killed his dicription of the killer before he was killed the tree grow arms and was holding a knife...
Kay Iscah
Goblins was just sort of blah...Charles Grant (the writer) created a new FBI pair with the potential to be interesting, but they don't get far past the stage of raw potential. There's a confusing tacked on plot about how someone is out to kill Mulder...maybe it would make more sense if the book was clear about at what point in the TV series it takes place...I guess they just figured Mulder would always be ticking someone off that way.
Robert Grant
I actually just finished watching the series earlier this year so this book is quite timely for me as it fills in for the show that I miss like crazy. This book is actually pretty good and captures Mulder and Scully nicely. The dialogue and their actions fit with what we have come to know from the series quite nicely. The book makes a nice edition to The X Files universe and glad I came across it.
Katie
A great book to read if you, like me, are going through Mulder-and-Scully withdrawls after finishing every single episode and movie. It was entertaining, but definitely did not replace watching the actual amazing TV show. I'd rather look at Mulder than read about him... =) But, nonetheless, I enjoyed it. Because after all, reading about Mulder is still better than no Mulder!
Jacqueline
Mar 09, 2011 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: X Files fans, maybe!?
This is nothing special. Unless you possess a feeling of devoted attachment to The X Files (the 1990's TV series starring now-known-to-be sex addict David Duchovny) as I do, don't bother. But then again, unless you were someone with an irrational sense of loyalty to The X Files, you wouldn't have bought this book, or any of the series, to read in the first place.
Kerry
I liked it but the end was a bit too fats and confusing... may need to read over the last couple of pages..
Amanda Hendsbee
The best thing about this book is that it has the characters from the TV show pegged to a tee. I could actually see the actors from the series in my head as I read. Plot-wise, this isn't really anything to write home about, but it's a fun read, especially if you were a fan of the TV show.
Redfox5
Well the books are holding up better then the tv show. At least Mulder and Scully don't look dated in my mind. Pretty average book. I didn't really care about the Goblins. Was a quick read though so I wasn't stuck with it for ages. I guess I should leave x-files in the past.
Yves
I didn't really care much for the writing. It seemed more like an extended script than a proper novel.

The author also didn't really catch the essence of Mulder and Scully and at times they seemed off. These are not the Mulder and Scully I love so much for the show.
Don
I've always liked the TV show (until the production moved from Vancouver to LA and then the stories got terrible). This novel brought back the excitement of reading a decent story that never made it to a television script.

A quick read and quite enjoyable.
dave
it was ok, got me to watch the show again. its pretty much an episode you have never seen, if youre a giant x files nerd, which i am.
D.seL
OK..I understand this is the first book in the series..but it had to be one of the most confusing stories I have read..I'm still not real sure about the ending..and I read it three times..maybe it should of had pictures or came with a vid?
Vanda
Gostei do livro. Não é brilhante, mas está bem escrito e tem alguns momentos de grande "suspense". Ao início foi um bocadinho difícil de pegar, mas depois tornou-se mais interessante. O final foi surpreendente ;)
Amy
I liked it. But then I am a huge fan of the show. This story is not based on any tv episode. It was a fast, easy read with an interesting story line. If you are a fan of the show I would highly recommend it.
Martyn Perry
Surprisingly good fun. A book which is very readable, there's nothing too complex or challenging going on here. Just a decent standalone story that is faithful to the show with an original concept to explore.
Louise
I saw this cheap in the children's section of a charity shop and couldn't resist. No, I don't know why it was in the children's section either. Nicely written and quick to read.
Steve
A surprisingly good description of Scully and Mulder. I felt like I was watching a damned good episode of the X-Files, but it's trashy reading at best, nothing too deep here.
  • Antibodies (X-Files, #5)
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • Fight the Future
  • The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to the X Files, Volume One
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • I Want to Believe: The Official Guide to The X-Files Volume III
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • The Unofficial X-Files Companion: An X-Phile's Guide to the Mysteries, Conspiracies, and Really Strange Truths Behind the Show
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • Blood Oath
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Accusations
  • Clark's Law
  • Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi Corps (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #1)
  • The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #1)
Charles Lewis Grant was a novelist and short story writer specializing in what he called "dark fantasy" and "quiet horror." He also wrote under the pseudonyms of Geoffrey Marsh, Lionel Fenn, Simon Lake, Felicia Andrews, and Deborah Lewis.

Grant won a World Fantasy Award for his novella collection Nightmare Seasons, a Nebula Award in 1976 for his short story "A Crowd of Shadows", and another Nebula
More about Charles L. Grant...
Whirlwind (The X-Files) The Pet The Hour of the Oxrun Dead The Orchard Gallery of Horror

“I want us to cool down for a while before we end up on horses' said Scully.

'What?' Hank asked.

'A definition of confusion.' Mulder explained, hands clasped behind his head. 'He jumped up on his horse and rode off in all directions.' He winked. 'Scully likes wise sayings like that. She hoardes fortune cookies you know.”
10 likes
“Scully-'
'I screwed up.' Her hands again. 'Damnit, I screwed up.'
'Nope' [Mulder] said... 'If I was dead, then you would have screwed up.' She saw the grin. 'Then I'd have to haunt you.'
'Mulder that's not funny.'
'But you don't believe in ghosts and goblins...”
4 likes