Start by marking “Icerigger (Icerigger, #1)” as Want to Read:
Icerigger (Icerigger, #1)

Icerigger (Icerigger #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,484 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Ethan Fortune was simple salesman — knowledgeable and civilized . . . a sophisticated traveler between many worlds. But he had certainly never thought of himself as a hero.

Skua September, on the other hand, never thought of himself as anything else.

A matched pair, if ever there was one!

When the two of them were suddenly stranded on a deadly frozen world, Ethan Fortune incr

Published December 2nd 1976 by New English Library Ltd (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Icerigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icerigger

Grass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim PowersBlood Music by Greg Bear
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
204th out of 1,121 books — 1,303 voters
Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonDune by Frank HerbertLeviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Excellent Space Opera
318th out of 359 books — 1,957 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
The action starts almost immediately in this book and, while there are necessary lulls in the action, it doesn’t ever go away for long. I think this novel would make for a really good space opera/fantasy movie… They’d need a really big special effects budget though, what with the novel largely taking place on an ice planet populated with various species of exotic alien.

As usual, Foster’s biggest strengths are his world-building and his seemingly boundless enthusiasm for the outlandish scenarios
Frank
Aug 23, 2011 Frank rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for Alan Dean Foster. I grew up reading his Spellsinger series, and I've enjoyed many of his stand alone novels. For sci-fi written before 1980 this is pretty decent. Action packed, humanoid aliens, misogynistic and self contained. They don't write books like these anymore, and I'm not sure that's such a terrible thing, but I just love classic SF for some reason.
B. Zedan
Jun 24, 2008 B. Zedan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Folks who like bats, serious
Shelves: real-book
I'm a hardcore Foster apologist and pretty much love most of his work. But really, guys, who couldn't love an frozen world with ice-skating bat-like people who are roundabout medieval in their social development?
Larry
Jan 15, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it
Another fun journey from Mr Foster! I've had this book on my shelf for ages but was missing the third book and had to wait till I had it. Then I found it on Amazon so decided to start the trilogy. The cover promotes it as a space opera but its not really-its an adventure story on another (very cold!) world. Either way its a captivating aand fun read!
Kevin
ADF is pretty middlebrow. The Flinx books and Icerigger are probably his best: silly space-opera adventures, nothing substantial, they're exciting and have a sort of charm. I'll always keep the Icerigger books because of Collette du Kane and her ass like a cake of sherbet.
Maryann Fläsch
Feb 20, 2014 Maryann Fläsch rated it liked it
Not a bad book but not really up to the standards of the rest of then humanx Commonwealth. I'm not sure if I'll read the other two books. Who am I kidding... I'll get around to them eventually... Niven pulled the Ringworld back after Ringworld Children so I'll give Foster the benefit of the doubt! 99% of everything else I've read of has has been gold.

But I digress... I did not see this as an overtly sexist book! Colette was a demon in the boardroom but out of her element in a world of ice and sw
Myles
Apr 28, 2012 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, adventure
Icerigger's reputation remains intact, if tarnished, after rereading it for the first time since I was in high school on the heels of the Spellsinger saga. Alan Dean Foster has his own brand of humor, dated but effective, and a straight-forward delivery of an adventure on a foreign ice world. Unlike what the cover might sell, the survival aspect isn't too prominent for long, but ice-skating cat warriors were probably the better bet to keep my 15 year old attention. I could have done without the ...more
Bill
Sep 14, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing
Good old-school science fiction. I picked this up after reading somewhere that this book was the inspiration for Star Wars. Foster reminds me of early Larry Niven. This aint't great literature but it is great genre writing. A quick read, and entertaining from start to finish.
Leland Gilsen
I began to enjoy the character Skua September. The book was too full of miscellaneous sub-plots to make it more of an "adventure". Not much character development. Looked like written for a movie or TV drama.
Dave
Mar 16, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing
Really great book. I'm fascinated by the Trans species. Just different enough from humans to be interesting. The human characters are a little cookie cutter, but still a good solid, pulpy sci-fi read.
Kristina
Interesting, short, dated and profoundly sexist. Glad I read it, not going to read the next ones even though it ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, which I really didn't think that real novels did.
Michael

Skua September - A swashbuckler with a chequered past
Sir Hunnar - A tran-knight
The Du Kanes - Father and daughter who own a gigantic corporation

Plot
Stranded on the iceworld Tran Ky Ky, a band of humans try to make their way back to civilisation. They are helped by members of the indigenious Tran. A mix between bat, cat and man.

Places & Time

Series book I1

aka Ice Rigger
Craig
Jun 01, 2007 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember picking up ICERIGGGER because the wonderful Dean Ellis cover caught my eye, and then reading it all through the night in a single sitting because I got caught up in the wonderful adventures of Skua September and Ethan Fortune on Tran-ky-ky. Once in a very rare, almost-magical while a book will (for no apparent or rational reason) grab onto you and won't let go until the end. This one was one of -those- for me.
Sep 26, 2012 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi readers
Recommended to John by: read it a long time ago
First read this book 30 odd years ago. I am finding with the e-readers and ability to find older novels that I am revisiting books I've read many years ago. This is one of the very first sci-fi that I ever read but still enjoyed it the second time around......Adventures and misadventures of a group of humans stranded on an ice planet and how they help the local populace....
Brian White
Nov 15, 2013 Brian White rated it liked it
This is an energetic romp in the tradition of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Nothing profound but I always find Alan Dean Foster to deliver interesting plots and characters. Having read most of the Pip and Flinx series I was looking for something I had not read by Foster and this fit the bill. I look forward to reading the other two novels in this series.
Preston Ray
Read this a long time ago when I was a teen.

Positives
Great world idea.
Interesting ideas on some of the culture.
Fun read in a classic scifi corny sort of way.
C'mon, you got skating cat-like beings with medieval technology...how can you not love that?

Negatives
No real depth.
Did not age well, sexist.
J.W. Nicklaus
Jan 18, 2009 J.W. Nicklaus rated it really liked it
I have to admit to being suckered in by the cover art on this one. I read this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in my freshman year of college. I'd passed by it several times when perusing books on my lunch break, and finally bought it. I think it was the first AD Foster book I'd ever ead. What fun!
Sally
May 27, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it
Nicely paced spaced adventure, well up to his usual standard.
Rene
Jul 03, 2008 Rene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like sci fi and ships and neat alien planets
Keith Davis
Nov 27, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
SF adventure about a ship crashed on a frozen planet inhabited by creatures who skate across the ice on blade like bones that protrude from the bottoms of their feet and flying squirrel like skin flaps that catch the wind. A nice piece of xenobiology.
Phil
Aug 14, 2015 Phil rated it liked it
As another reviewer said, this is a "cheesy, pulpy sci-fi book." Ironically, that's exactly why I started this book (I was in the mood for it), but it turned out to just be too cheesy and pulpy to get more than a quarter of the way through it.
Jan 12, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Funny science fiction. Somewhat dated, but still enjoyable.
Nojdude
Aug 13, 2013 Nojdude rated it really liked it
Kept me up night reading. I read this while in middle school and lost a good two or three nights sleep with it. Found it very enjoyable!!
Portobellord
Jun 12, 2009 Portobellord rated it liked it
Average. At some point I need to finish this series, but the first one didn't get me excited about the others.
Lou Yuhasz
Jan 15, 2011 Lou Yuhasz rated it it was amazing
Gotta read this one every couple of years. Don't know why: It's just a cheesy, pulpy space story. But I love it.
Duane
Dec 27, 2012 Duane rated it really liked it
Fine book, young feller-me-lad. Read it and enjoy Skua September. There's two more to come.
Dale Rosso
Oct 31, 2013 Dale Rosso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Loved the book, typical Alan Dean Foster style, excellent story line that draws you into it.
Aug 17, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
My favorite ADF book, followed closely by Splinter. One of my earlier SF reads too.
Charles
Jun 16, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Not bad. I've seen some similar stories, such as Moorcock's The Ice Schooner.
  • A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  • The Adolescence of P-1
  • Cluster (Cluster, #1)
  • Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • The Survivors (Hunters # 2)
  • Endgame Enigma
  • The River Wall (Gandalara Cycle, #7)
  • Life Probe
  • Vigilant
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • Manhattan Transfer
  • Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1)
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Icerigger (3 books)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)