Start by marking “The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America” as Want to Read:
The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America

The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"We are on our way to Le Havre. The train is going so fast that the landscape is all but a blur. From time to time, I can see a farm in the mist surrounded by a sea of green fields. I am excited but also scared. It is 1955, and we are on our way to New York."So begins the marvelous journey of Colette Rossant, just married to an American architect and about to leave France ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The World in My Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World in My Kitchen

Laura Lewakowski
Mar 22, 2015 Laura Lewakowski rated it liked it
Sila
Aug 03, 2011 Sila added it
I very very much enjoyed reading this book. Everything was great! Learning about the1950s New York city and how it evolved over the years especially from a culinary perspective was amazing. Also, seeing how Colette Rossant went after everything she set her mind on gave me courage to follow my goals. I also started being more open minded about tasting different types of foods. And as a side benefit, now I enjoy cooking rather than see it as a chore.
Diane C.
Jul 15, 2010 Diane C. rated it really liked it

Definitely a great read for all foodies. Her own history intertwined with Europe and New York food people history. Ms. Roussant is honest, modest, even with all the name dropping and globe hopping. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

I was amazed at her activity level........raising 4 kids in a townhouse in NYC (even with a housekeeper), teaching, writing, travelling and all that cooking!
Catherine
May 09, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Francophiles
This is the third book I've read by this author. She didn't disappoint with this third installment that focuses on her life in the late 1950s after leaving France. Her tastes in food are sometimes dissimilar from mine, but her stories, especially of her travels -- excuse me, but I can't help myself -- were delicious! I recommend reading all of her books.
Neelz
Jul 20, 2007 Neelz rated it liked it
When Colette moves from France to New York with her husband, she discovers new worlds in the varied cuisine of the many cultures who live there. Eventually, she teaches cooking classes, writes cookbooks, caters dinners for important political figures, and travels around the world, learning and refining her skills.
Shawna Millard
Jun 22, 2009 Shawna Millard rated it liked it
A very interesting book for those that enjoy food and travel. Mrs. Rossant has a very laid back writing style without too much detail except when it comes to the food. She is endearing though due to her many stories and down to earth attitude.
Susan
Sep 22, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
This was a easy read biography about a French woman who get married and moves to the states in the 40's. It was most interesting to read about her discovery of asian cuisines in NYC and how she combined them with her French cooking.
Maggie
Jul 20, 2007 Maggie rated it liked it
The writing is simple, but descriptive and beautiful. She made French food seem a little less intimidating. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but there's a fennel soup that I can't wait to make.
I picked this up because the name rang a bell...I remembered reading about Colette Rossant and her crepe-making daughters in a Calvin Trillin essay.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok
I picked this up thinking it would be fun to read about her experiences in New York after moving from France. It wasn't.....
Nov 14, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: the shelf at the Library
I enjoyed this book. I read as a book about food, culture and New York in the 1960's and 70's.
Christine
Jan 17, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
Light, fun read--with recipes at the end of each chapter. Memoir.
Karla
Oct 03, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
Short stories...interesting if you like to cook.
Claire
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Roukaya
Roukaya marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
June Reisinger
June Reisinger rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Michael Drew
Michael Drew marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Mady
Mady marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Carla
Carla rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016
Rayana
Rayana added it
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
food writing and memoirs 1 0 Feb 29, 2008 04:54PM
Colette S. Palacci Rossant was born in Paris but spent most of her childhood in a mansion in the Garden City district of Cairo, Egypt, raised by her paternal grandparents and a host of aunts and cousins -- all of whom excelled in the kitchen. Her closest childhood friend was Ahmet, the house cook.

At the age of 15 she returned to Paris to finish her studies and lived with her maternal grandparents.
More about Colette Rossant...