Start by marking “The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America” as Want to Read:
The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America

The World in My Kitchen: The Adventures of a (Mostly) French Woman in America

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"We are on our way to Le Havre. The train is going so fast that the landscape is all but a blur. From time to time, I can see a farm in the mist surrounded by a sea of green fields. I am excited but also scared. It is 1955, and we are on our way to New York."So begins the marvelous journey of Colette Rossant, just married to an American architect and about to leave France ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The World in My Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World in My Kitchen

Laura Lewakowski
Sila
Aug 03, 2011 Sila added it
I very very much enjoyed reading this book. Everything was great! Learning about the1950s New York city and how it evolved over the years especially from a culinary perspective was amazing. Also, seeing how Colette Rossant went after everything she set her mind on gave me courage to follow my goals. I also started being more open minded about tasting different types of foods. And as a side benefit, now I enjoy cooking rather than see it as a chore.
Diane C.

Definitely a great read for all foodies. Her own history intertwined with Europe and New York food people history. Ms. Roussant is honest, modest, even with all the name dropping and globe hopping. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

I was amazed at her activity level........raising 4 kids in a townhouse in NYC (even with a housekeeper), teaching, writing, travelling and all that cooking!
Catherine
May 09, 2007 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Francophiles
This is the third book I've read by this author. She didn't disappoint with this third installment that focuses on her life in the late 1950s after leaving France. Her tastes in food are sometimes dissimilar from mine, but her stories, especially of her travels -- excuse me, but I can't help myself -- were delicious! I recommend reading all of her books.
Neelz
When Colette moves from France to New York with her husband, she discovers new worlds in the varied cuisine of the many cultures who live there. Eventually, she teaches cooking classes, writes cookbooks, caters dinners for important political figures, and travels around the world, learning and refining her skills.
Shawna Millard
A very interesting book for those that enjoy food and travel. Mrs. Rossant has a very laid back writing style without too much detail except when it comes to the food. She is endearing though due to her many stories and down to earth attitude.
Susan
This was a easy read biography about a French woman who get married and moves to the states in the 40's. It was most interesting to read about her discovery of asian cuisines in NYC and how she combined them with her French cooking.
Maggie
The writing is simple, but descriptive and beautiful. She made French food seem a little less intimidating. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but there's a fennel soup that I can't wait to make.
I picked this up because the name rang a bell...I remembered reading about Colette Rossant and her crepe-making daughters in a Calvin Trillin essay.
Debbie
I picked this up thinking it would be fun to read about her experiences in New York after moving from France. It wasn't.....
Nov 14, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: the shelf at the Library
I enjoyed this book. I read as a book about food, culture and New York in the 1960's and 70's.
Christine
Light, fun read--with recipes at the end of each chapter. Memoir.
Karla
Short stories...interesting if you like to cook.
Claire
great recipes & good stories
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, france, america
Culinary adventures
Mary Blinkhorn
Mary Blinkhorn marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
susan k
susan k marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
CATHY LEAGUE
CATHY LEAGUE marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Nschelle17
Nschelle17 marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Kristina Robbins
Kristina Robbins marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 04, 2014
Nancy Sauber
Nancy Sauber marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
food writing and memoirs 1 0 Feb 29, 2008 04:54PM
Colette S. Palacci Rossant was born in Paris but spent most of her childhood in a mansion in the Garden City district of Cairo, Egypt, raised by her paternal grandparents and a host of aunts and cousins -- all of whom excelled in the kitchen. Her closest childhood friend was Ahmet, the house cook.

At the age of 15 she returned to Paris to finish her studies and lived with her maternal grandparents.
More about Colette Rossant...
Apricots on the Nile: A Memoir with Recipes Return to Paris: A Memoir Madeleines In Manhattan: A Memoir With Recipes Vegetables Colette's Slim Cuisine