Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World

Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Our efforts to build a sustainable world cannot succeed unless future generations learn how to partner with natural systems to our mutual benefit. In other words, children must become “ecologically literate.” The concept of ecological literacy advanced by this book’s creators, the Center for Ecoliteracy in Berkeley, California, goes beyond the discipline of environmental e...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Sierra Club Books (first published November 1st 1991)

Brooke
This is an ecological literacy reader- full of excerpts from the best people in the field. This book is all about the aspects of education that should be a huge part of all schools- place-based education, garden classrooms, learning kitchens, farms-to-schools, bio-region study- except that unfortunately we are too obsessed with standardization to turn towards the real subject matter we should learn in school.
Sean
Check out the chapter "Dancing with the Systems."
Carol
Learning how to raise my family green.
Amy
I found these essays incredibly helpful as I thought through environmental education lesson plans, as well as my future in the environmental nonprofit field. I caught myself being reminded of students and learning situations as I read, wondering how I could have taught or handled a situation differently. Incredibly helpful theoretical book as I engaged the practical.

I particularly resonated with the systems thinking "dance" chapter.
Tara
Some essays were better than others. However the overall topic is very interesting and the combination of essays made for a compelling read. It was especially fun to be able to personally relate to at least one of the essays, which was about Davis, CA, in part. It was inspiring and could potentially be used if one wanted to start something similar in other states such as Wisconsin.
Steph
I have made so many emphatic underlines and bookmarks on this book! It captures a lot of what I learned about in grad school. Not a textbook but quality information that is inspiring and educational.
Ann
Jul 30, 2009 Ann is currently reading it
I'm writing proposals about teaching children about sustainability and social responsibility with a big view, so I look forward to this one. Fritjof Capra wrote the Preface.
Jennifer Wyld
I think I was inspired by every single program written up in this book. If you are interested in environmental or sustainable education- this book is a must!
Fumi
Nov 02, 2008 Fumi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ecological minded who want to take it a bit deeper than what everyone tells you
this is one of my on-and-off dry geeky book, and I have to say- it's awesome. I read one section at a time, and there are a lot of wisdom here.
Bastian
Critical but creative ideas about where we're heading and where we should head...
Beth
Overly simplified with little theory. Okay for case studies, but not much else.
Jen
Very Inspiring for teaching young people!!!
Wyomia Mouwers
Wyomia Mouwers marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kelly Henderson
Kelly Henderson is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Vanessa Gamboa
Vanessa Gamboa marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Emily Kimball
Emily Kimball marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Juliette Murray
Juliette Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Echo
Echo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder
  • The Sense of Wonder
  • The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places
  • American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau (Library of America #182)
  • Natural Capitalism
  • Edible Schoolyard
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • Biophilia
  • Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You
  • The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy, and Environment
Smart by Nature: Schooling for Sustainability

“The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as we have defined it.” 127 likes