Start by marking “Made in Russia: Unsung Icons of Soviet Design” as Want to Read:
Made in Russia: Unsung Icons of Soviet Design

Made in Russia: Unsung Icons of Soviet Design

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This irreverent survey celebrates the more populist and enduring work in graphic and industrial design that was a product of the Soviet era - a period that remain politically sensitive and under-explored, yet whose influence on the objects and aesthetics of Russian life and thought has been profound.

Made in Russia presents fifty such masterpieces, from pioneers of Soviet
Published April 12th 2011 by Rizzoli

To ask other readers questions about Made in Russia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made in Russia

Daisy
Fun.
I like this book with its snarky, amusing commentary and funny, nostalgic photographs of everything from rockets to drinking glasses. I've learned about color-coded caviar tins, pyramid-shaped milk cartons, and Belomorkanal cigarettes-deadly for more than one reason. There are perceptive, short essays by Lara Vapnyar about her school uniform and by Gary Shteyngart about the tradition of cupping.
The Russian Tilting Doll on the cover is what drew me to the book at first... and suddenly I think
Katya Vinogradova
Having survived Stalin and the war, the people, it turned out, needed toys.

Moscow is now at a time when the apartment buildings are getting their water cut off for "maintenance". I put the word "maintenance" is quotes, since it's never apparent what kind of maintenance is done, why it's required every year, and why only the hot pipes are affected. An expat friend of mine asked me why this happens, and I had nothing better to say than "Who knows? It's always been this way". Which seems like a ver
Mikko Karvonen
The people in Soviet Union lived in a different world, not only socially and politically, but also by the objects they used to get by in their everyday lives. The design of most items in the USSR was of very particular kind: sturdy and durable, practical over beautiful, cumbersome rather than usable, and most of the time inspired by and reverse engineered from the western technology, often adding some unusual Soviet twist. Most of the time creations were uninspired, entirely forgettable, prone t ...more
Sean Kottke
I don't know why I find myself endlessly fascinated with the material and pop culture from the Soviet side of the Cold War, but there you go. This was a delightful complement to Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking, providing visualization and context for many of the cultural touchstones referenced in that excellent memoir. Very enjoyable, but I'd like to see a coffee table sized edition with more color pictures :)
Emma Pilgrim
I've always been fascinated by Russia and this book provides an authentic view into everyday life during the Soviet era.
julie
such a charming little trip down memory lane. even tho' i didn't study in russia until after the collapse of the soviet union, i recognize many of these things...from the glasses tea was served in on the train from moscow to kazan to raketa watches to lomo cameras (why, oh why, didn't i buy a couple back in 1994?) to the little bears on the chocolate packages. i was charmed from beginning to end and left longing a little bit for the soviet union.
Olivia (abookolive)
Very cute, quick read. Half of it is pictures, so it's really quick to get through, but it's very entertaining throughout. The essays are surprisingly witty and the whole thing was informative and fun. It's definitely worth reading for anyone interested in the most impressive (or remarkably unimpressive) creations to come out of the Soviet period.
Deborah Kaple
Jan 08, 2012 Deborah Kaple rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in design
This is a lovely book, well annotated and interesting. The "Soviet esthetic" is the topic, and while there was much in the old USSR that was utilitarian and clunky, this book portrays many of the lovely and unique items. If you ever visited or lived in the old Soviet Union, this book will make you a little nostalgic, believe it or not.
Kate
Oct 19, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nostalgic/ recovering Soviets
Recommended to Kate by: 745.20947 M
"The avoska, a simple net bag, allowed citizens to be always prepared in case they crossed paths with something extraordinary--like fresh produce. It was also remarkably Soviet in affording the shopper zero privacy: One's loot was on instant and automatic display."

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
Jakubukaj
Some fantastic photographs and some reasonable research but the text is extremely hit and miss. I feel that you are left wanting something more after poring over the pictures but wading through some pretty poor quality text.
Lauren
This was a great book, and equally entertaining for designers or history buffs. Rather than a continuous narrative, this books is written as individual essays on various everyday items. It's a fast, fun read.
S King
good and very cool
Mary Cawthon
Mary Cawthon marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Snakecharming
Snakecharming marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Erika Layden
Erika Layden marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Roger Barnette
Roger Barnette marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Alex Givant
Alex Givant marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Victoria Drob
Victoria Drob marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
D.
D. marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Rebecca Lamey
Rebecca Lamey marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Emily Holm
Emily Holm marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Alina Sharokhina
Alina Sharokhina marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • CCCP: Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed
  • Lost and Found in Russia: Lives in the Post-Soviet Landscape
  • All the Buildings in New York (That I've Drawn So Far)
  • Russians: The People behind the Power
  • Apricot Jam: And Other Stories
  • The Unquiet Ghost: Russians Remember Stalin
  • Sign Painters
  • It Was a Long Time Ago, and It Never Happened Anyway: Russia and the Communist Past
  • Obsessive Consumption: What Did You Buy Today?
  • Where You Are: A Collection of Maps That Will Leave You Feeling Completely Lost
  • Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More: The Last Soviet Generation
  • The Commissar Vanishes
  • St Petersburg: A Cultural History
  • Ester and Ruzya: How My Grandmothers Survived Hitler's War and Stalin's Peace
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia
  • The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture
  • Dialogues With Marcel Duchamp
Михаил Идов - журналист, публицист, писатель. Начинал печататься еще в род­ной Риге, в газете "Советская молодежь". Потом с родителями уехал в США, где, отучившись в Мичиганском университете на сценариста, публиковался в изданиях The Village Voice, New York Magazine, GQ и других. Стал трижды лауреатом премии National Magazine Award. В 2012 году переехал в Москву, чтобы стать главным редактором рос ...more
More about Michael Idov...
Ground Up: A Novel Чес