Start by marking “Kabuki, Vol. 5: Metamorphosis” as Want to Read:
Kabuki, Vol. 5: Metamorphosis

Kabuki, Vol. 5: Metamorphosis (Kabuki #5)

Image Comics offers the latest collection of David Mack's acclaimed Kabuki epic. The latest tale of the enigmatic assassin of the Noh. The book - which Mack says "represents my most diverse range of fully painted and mixed media artwork, and marks my most evolved work as a writer" - collects all nine painted issues of the recent series titled simply Kabuki.
The story that
Published January 31st 2006 by Image Comics (first published December 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Kabuki, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kabuki, Vol. 5

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCatch-22 by Joseph HellerPrincipia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did... by Gregory  HillLord of the Flies by William Golding
Bibles for the Revolution
319th out of 330 books — 122 voters
Brilliant - Volume 1 by Brian Michael BendisKabuki, Vol. 1 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 2 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 3 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 4 by David W. Mack
Icon Comics
6th out of 50 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Darrell
Feb 08, 2009 Darrell rated it really liked it
What the bleep does David Mack know? This book could have been so much better, but Mack had to ruin it by devoting the entire closing chapter to stating his half-baked new age philosophy taken straight out of the psuedo-scientific movie What the Bleep Do We Know? He has the right to believe in whatever he chooses, of course, but he could have presented his views in a more interesting way by incorporating them into the story rather than having his characters stop in the middle of a chase scene an ...more
Derek
HANDS DOWN, THIS IS THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK I'VE EVER READ.
Great art. Morphing symbolism and metaphors. great pace and awesome visual acrobatics, Add some fresh insights into Causality, existentialism, quantum mechanics. Just a thrill basically. David's work is pure genius. Entertaining all the way… and inspiring too -- my best passage in the whole series:
" When we realize that all action is art, that the entire universe is an orchestration of living creation and creating life, and the very ac
Daphne
Jul 06, 2016 Daphne rated it it was amazing
this volume took a lot longer to finish than I originally thought it would. The last third of the book was especially dense, not just in ideas, but also shape and form. While it may be frustrating at times (more on that later), deciphering all the squiggles, processing all the motifs and taking the time to dissect each frame and pack truly enhances the experience.

Metamorphosis is testament that the Kabuki series is more than just a graphic novel – it is equal parts academia, art, experiment, poe
Sandy
get this for the brilliant wall to wall art (collage, watercolor, drawing, lettering, photography and on....) and stay for the non-linear story about transformation of identity, alchemical intersections of future/past consciousness. if scarred, tattooed cyberpunks dreaming quantum physics laden poetry, rogue government agents with a zen philosophy, homoerotic, transgressive genders who employ psychoanalysis as theatre do it for you, DM is your guy!
Amanu
May 29, 2008 Amanu rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful graphic novel I have ever seen...David mack is a phenomenal artist and writer....themes of identity, lost, revenge, and transcendence. READ IT!
Britt Freeman
Feb 25, 2015 Britt Freeman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my first introductions to non super-hero books. Jae Lee set the stage with his ill fated Hellshock book. I wanted it to succeed as you don't see a lot of examinations of psychological issues in comics, at least not during the height of Image and variant covers in the 90's. Kabuki deals with the internal struggles of a highly technological society that no longer requires the services of the hero it helped create. This book is most likely the most(non Raymond Carver)well-crafted fiction eve ...more
David Katzman
Aug 22, 2008 David Katzman rated it it was amazing
Kabuki is a series about transformation. Yes, it has beautiful art. Yes, it has great writing. And while the central theme of the narrative is transformation, what I found even more powerful is the way the art of the stories transforms from collection to collection, seeming to mirror the character’s evolution.

I have met David Mack a couple times at Comicon, and I’ve been meaning to ask him if he always intended from the beginning for the story to be about transformation and to move from standard
Ula
Oct 17, 2011 Ula rated it liked it
I love David Mack's artistic sensibility and this book is a great step towards 'The Alchemy' which I thought was just brilliant. Some of the pages are works of art in and of themselves but sometimes it was too much and just difficult to read. If you like the standard graphic novel with panels and straightforward story-telling, this is not that story. However in his attempts at stepping outside the comics-box, it becomes a bit muddled. This book has Kabuki in a psych ward for defective government ...more
Amanda
Dec 22, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite collected volume from the series, though I expect only until The Alchemy gets its own book. Plot really disappears for long portions of the book, and most any semblance of traditional panels vanishes along with it. The pages are often so overwhelmingly full of graphic and textual information that I can only process a small portion of the full impact with each reading. Of course, this means that each return to the book rewards me with some new aspect of the story that I hadn't taken i ...more
Emma Fite-Wassilak
Aug 23, 2007 Emma Fite-Wassilak rated it really liked it
The artwork is stunning (in fact, I only bought this because I picked it up and was amazed at how beautiful it was-- I never usually buy out of order in a series) The story bends and twists just like the words on the pages-- the interaction this requires reminded me somewhat of books when I was a kid, with little letters to pull out, etc. but the ideas are sophisticated and complex: an interactive book for the intellectual young at heart, perhaps.
yoli
May 24, 2009 yoli rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2009
Very confusing and multi-layered. I've only read the first volume in addition to this one and must express doubts about what he could have thrown into the other volumes. The story of Kabuki seems to flow pretty seamlessly from vol 1 to vol 5. The fact that everyone is mentally or emotionally fucked up makes this a much harder read, and sometimes they go off on rambling manifestos, but it is beautiful visually so that is something very cool too.
Dani
Jun 19, 2013 Dani rated it liked it
This went complete art house on me. Completely understand why but wow! That was a lot of art house graphics. Hope the next book is a little more traditional in its layout - I could use the break. Not that the art work takes away from the story, as a matter of fact it adds on to it very well. It was just a little much when it was 2 books straight.
Judah
Jul 25, 2007 Judah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mixed media collage, art, comics, japan
Shelves: comics
A prime example of the melding of words and images, proof that the comic book is no longer the territory of sweaty twelve year old boys. From the intricate storyline to the amazing art...which varies from pen and ink to heavily collaged images to lush watercolor...every aspect of this series is extraordinarily well done.
Michaela Hutfles
Dec 15, 2010 Michaela Hutfles rated it it was ok
After Circle of blood I think most of the remaining books were a let down. Lovely, but they have nothing left to say, no tale to tell. Full of beautiful art I completely recommend them for the completest, but you don't really learn anything more about what happened, than what was inside Kabuki's head.
VeganMedusa
Jun 27, 2011 VeganMedusa rated it it was ok
Very artistic and everything but I don't feel like I should have to work so hard to read a graphic novel. Words strewn all over a page, in different colours, going round in spirals or through a maze - looks great but hell to read.
Alison
Jul 26, 2007 Alison rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this graphic novel is exquisite. Mixed media drawings and watercolors fill every page. Layout unlike any other graphic novel I have read. Truly a work of fine art.
Luke
Dec 08, 2007 Luke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first the artwork looked fantastic but the story was a drag. Trying to be a lyrical action/thriller I guess. Boring.
jen
Jul 26, 2007 jen rated it it was amazing
i want this book. its so beautiful. so beautifully written, illustrated, and designed. i love his work. bloody as well.
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A psychedelic, colorful, bright and yet extremely claustrophobic. An odd joyrney seen through the filter of madness.
Greymalkin
Feb 08, 2010 Greymalkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-comics
Lexi
Nov 16, 2007 Lexi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like art
I don't love all the Kabuki series, but the artwork in this book is stunning.
David
Apr 15, 2007 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

This guy is very artsy. I think i like it. Want to read to find out.
Sara
Jan 04, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok
Nice art but I found the story hard to follow (review circa 2006)
Miah
Feb 28, 2011 Miah rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Really enjoyed reading this.
SayHeyCrystal
Aug 10, 2007 SayHeyCrystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: divine
Another great series of comics by David!
Quasisonic
Nov 16, 2010 Quasisonic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
My favorite of the series to date
Alana
Aug 16, 2007 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
loaned to Kevin 8/15/07
Bushra Khan
Bushra Khan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Grape Ape
Grape Ape rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
  • Dreamtime (ElfQuest Reader's Collection, #8a)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
  • Lucifer, Vol. 10: Morningstar
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind: Perfect Collection Boxed Set
  • Ultra: Seven Days
  • Torso
  • Artesia Volume 2: Afield - The Second Book Of Dooms
  • Sharaz-De
  • Okko: The Cycle of Air (Okko, #3)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 4: Transformations
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 2
  • The Red Star Volume 1: The Battle of Kar Dathras Gate

David W. Mack is a comic book artist and writer, best known for his creation Kabuki and his work on the Marvel Comics titles Daredevil and Alias

The author of the Star Trek Novels is David Mack
More about David W. Mack...

Kabuki (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood