Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down

Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  42 reviews
You believe in a good idea. You know it could make a crucial difference for you, your organization, your community. You present it, hoping for enthusiastic support. Instead, you get confounding questions, inane comments, and verbal bullets. Before you know what's hit you, your idea is dead, shot down. It doesn't have to be this way, say John Kotter and Lorne Whitehead. In...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published October 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 17th 2010)

Mazen Abualnassr
It was my first Business book in English . . . and even though the book has written by 2 authors,it was very coherent . an exceptionally realistic and helpful .
Oleg Kagan
Kotter and Whitehead use the story of a community member lobbying for a private-public partnership in order to purchase new computers for a neighborhood library to teach how to handle a crowd when pitching a new idea. Obviously, I was hooked by the library in the plot but I kept reading because the useful ideas.

Buy-In begins when you, a community member who has worked hard on a proposal to get new computers into the local library, fail miserably at defending your idea against detractors. Luckil...more
Gregory Peterson
Good ideas -- even terrific ideas -- often fail to get adopted when an advocate lacks the verbal communication skills to make persuasive presentations. As every public speaker knows, no two presentations are exactly alike -- but for the most part, the reasons a verbal communication fails to persuade are both predictable and preventable.

What's exciting about this book on effective advocacy is the sheer practicality of its prescribed approach t0 develop the power of persuasion. It's approach to ad...more
Chris
Graeme Roberts
In the preface to Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down, John Kotter and Lorne Whitehead say:

It would be wonderful if the good ideas you champion, on or off the job, could simply stand on their own. But far too often, this is not the case. Whether it’s a big bill before Congress, an innovative corporate strategy, or tonight’s plan for dinner and the movies, sensible ideas can be ignored, shot down, or, more often, wounded so badly that they produce little gain.

We have all experien...more
Frank
Reading the book, I learned, for example, about types of expressions that people, who resist change, may make. Examples: Expressions that create fear, expressions that create delay, expressions that create confusion, and expressions that ridicule people. In the book, I also found useful advice on on how to handle resistance to change. Examples: Focus on the fact that we are living in times of tremendous change, for example technological change. In a changing environment, it is crucial to keep le...more
David
I "read" this as an audiobook (CDs), and though I was driving while listening, I don't think I missed much because the book is rather simply laid out and just goes from one thing to another.

I will write more when I have time, but the reason I gave this 3stars was because it was interesting and I did like it, but it didn't really set me on fire, intellectually, emotionally, or spiritually. It was good, logical, and well presented, but rather like an uninspired lecture, or perhaps I should say, an...more
Cathy Allen
This is a good one... a fable followed by easily digested tidbits of practical advice for handling the most commonly-used methods of resisting new ideas (delay, confusion, character attacks, etc.) Now that I've read it, it will make a good reference manual for down the line whenever I am preparing a presentation for others on something I would like to try. Change management is always a leadership issue, and John Kotter is one of the best guides we have. Check out www.WhatisCathyReading.com to pi...more
Bart-Jan
An interesting book around a checklist to use when you need buy-in on your idea(s). The first half is written as a business fable and the second half explains the theory behind it all. It reminds me of a book I read in Dutch ('De 50 manieren om dwars te liggen', translated: 50 ways to block a plan) which was very insightful too. Always be respectful and be prepared is one of the main themes. From the author of 'Our iceberg is melting' and 'a sense of urgency'
Oscia Wilson
When you're pitching an idea to coworkers, bosses, clients--any time there is a group of people involved--the book posits that there are a limited number of objections that will come up. They are predictable, and if you're prepared to answer them correctly you have a much higher chance of adoption. Very useful info, but only if you're going to actually practice the stuff. It's not a "site back and read" kind of book. It's almost like a workbook.
Jeremy
I'm generally a fan of the One Minute Manager style of teaching through story telling, but I thought that the story taking up most of the first half of this book was fairly worthless. I would recommend anyone wanting to read this book to skip the narrative, read the section describing the basic forms of response to criticism, and then keep the book handy to refer to the 24 types of common arguments when preparing for a proposal to a group.
Larry
Good stuff. Keeping it on the I-Pad as reference material.
Roberto Estreitinho
A useful guide filled with tips to achieve "buy-in": the ability to sell your ideas even when your audience isn't receptive at first. The book guides us through a fictional debate where each of its stage is deconstructed and analysed to help us recognize typical reactions to new ideas, and how to hack an audience to achieve our goal in communicating them. Useful for anyone who's ever had to make a pitch.
Scott Harris
This management by parable account is a light read and overs a few tips that will resonate with the experience of most people who have ever faced the situation of getting a group of people to make a decision. While the characters are a bit exaggerated, they are nonetheless fairly recognizable and many readers will be thinking of poeple in their lives.
Martin Hambalek
Yet another book of lists, but this one follows a story about a meeting where 24 pitfalls of change management are found. I did like how the 24 areas of buy in we're woven in. Some were simplistic though. The story reminded me of the homeowners association meetings I used to lead. So at least most of the 24 were relevant.
May-Ling
concise, useful and pretty memorable. maybe i'm just saying that because the example used a library. :)

it's hard to retain all of the strategies, which the authors note, and i think it's a good book to keep around and reference when you're about to pitch an idea or change.
Amjad AlJenbaz
يتحدث الكتاب عن طرق حماية فكرتك والدفاع عنها في ظل الهجمات الشرسة التي قد تتعرض لها أثناء عرضها.
يتحدث في الكتاب عن أهم أربعة طرق لمهاجمة فكرتك وماهي آلية الرد عليها

ثم يتحدث عن ٢٤ طريقة مختلفة للإيقاع بفكرتك ويتحدث عن كيفية الاستعداد لها لابطالها

كتاب رائع وأنصح بقراءته
Jason
I'm still reading this book..and goshh im totally into it..it just keeps you so engaged with the story and u are so involved in it..and your learning the tricks of the trade simultaneously ..i love this !!..wish i could find more books just like this one
Melissa Acuna
Non-fiction business book on how to save good ideas from getting shot down. Highly applicable and easy to follow advice, with good insights into crowd mentality and why mob thinking can take over and defeat even the best, most logical idea.
Ben
This did not need to be a whole book. The simplification of the types of obstacles new ideas encounter is helpful for quick reference, and some of the stories are good examples, but it seemed too full of fluff for its less-than-200-page length.
Jack Vinson
Good stuff. I really enjoyed this quick, straightforward read.
Also reference Kotter's website for the book http://www.kotterinternational.com/bu...
Tony
Like most of Kotter's work, clear concise and actionable. He reminds you the the key is deal with the objections in a non-threatening way, because the goal is to covert the hearts and minds of listeners, who are not talking but judging.
Janet
Little book with lots of great advice for achieving buy-in. Loved that he used a library board meeting as the example. 24 arguments you might get and how to combat them to get what you want.
Stephen
A little repetitive, however the first half was a really good read. The second half was a little less interesting, however overall good book with some great suggestions.
Hafiz Ripangi
excellent tips and method in ensuring our ideas are well accepted without wasting the effort that we've put in together. clear and direct principle - 24 attacks 24 responses
Ramon
It was a useful book. I thought that at times the parable was boring. I would have preferred that the author would just explain his points and get on with it.
Frank
The book presents 24 ways that your ideas can be shot down and gives you useable solutions to overcome them. The emphasis is on useable information
Alfonso De
Jul 07, 2011 Alfonso De is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente material para poder implementar las buenas ideas y que no se queden en el papel, todo el libro es sobre un caso práctico.
Zjjohnston
Simple ideas, good reminders. I feel like I learned a good bit, hope I remember some of it; I may have some good ideas in the future!
Nahom Tamerat
Good book. Practical... but could have been even shorter than it is now as it tends to repeat the same message over and over again!
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • The Future of Management
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Your Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Create Your Own Economy: The Path to Prosperity in a Disordered World
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, and The Heart of Change. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a leadership organization that helps Global 5000 company leaders devel...more
More about John P. Kotter...
Leading Change Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions A Sense of Urgency The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations John P. Kotter on What Leaders Really Do