Start by marking “Farthest Star” as Want to Read:
Farthest Star

Farthest Star (Cuckoo Saga)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Saga of Cuckoo

There was no shortage of danger on Cuckoo.

20,000 light years away, the enormous flat surface of Cuckoo travelling at one-sixth the speed of light aimed arrow-straight at the galaxy.

Sun One sent the space probe Aurora with a crew of replicates, both human and alien, to intercept. It was a doomed ship.

Yet from that mission came Ground Station One, peopled b
Mass Market Paperback, 189 pages
Published February 1976 by Pan Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Farthest Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farthest Star

Kerry
This review is being written in 2011, and I still recall being embarrassed by this book when I read it in 1975. I was embarrassed not by the content, but by my own preoccupations that caused me to miss what the book is really about. I got so caught up in the tachyon transmission way to explore the galaxy that I totally neglected to see that the book was about a Dyson sphere. In reading a review some months after I had read the novel, after that reviewer referred to the Dyson sphere by that name, ...more
Ysmalan
Jan 20, 2014 Ysmalan marked it as to-read
I vaguely remember reading this book when I was a teenager. I was very fascinated by the "teleportation" system and what it implied. But that's also about all I remember from it! I had to google for ages before finding the book again. I guess I'll have to re-read it.
Mike
When you have a book written by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson you expeot something special, but unfortunately this isn't. The Star Trek transporter when the original does de-materialize is an interesting idea but that's not enough. I can't really say what's wrong with it, the plot isn't bad, the characters are okay for a 70s story, its just missing something which I can't put my finger on.

I really wanted it to be great, but it was just wasn't there.
Dani
This book took me a whole semester to read even though it's only 246 pages long. It got really boring and ridiculous at times but still the technology in it was fun. Even bad science fiction is still enjoyable sometimes.
Keith
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Jae Hong
Jae Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Bargle
Bargle marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
William van Ruth
William van Ruth marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 25, 2014
Tim Poston
Tim Poston marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Mykel
Mykel marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Dec 12, 2014
Gary Thompson
Gary Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Francesco Roghi
Francesco Roghi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)