Start by marking “Beach House (Point Horror, #22)” as Want to Read:
Beach House (Point Horror, #22)

Beach House (Point Horror)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  2,468 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
The author of the popular Fear Street series presents a spine-chilling story of terror on the beach. The sun is hot. The water's cold. And the kids are cool. Too cool to live. For a killer stalks them--one by one--never leaving a clue. A killer who disappears as completely as footprints in the sand.
Published August 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Beach House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach House

Amara
Sep 26, 2011 Amara rated it it was ok
R.L. Stine YA books disturb me. No, not for the reason you’re thinking. They’re not “scary”. At best, they’re mildly entertaining. At worst, they’re ludicrously moronic. I find a significant number of R.L. Stine books disturbing because half of his teenage female protagonists are in obviously abusive relationships.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s an eighties thing. But it seems like at least half his books, including this one, feature a main female character, high-school age, who is in a steady relation
Paula Brandon
Oct 25, 2016 Paula Brandon rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Point Horrors, and one of my favourite R.L. Stine books! Sure, the plot twist that reveals the connection between the 50s and 90s is totally arbitrary and off-the-wall, but it doesn't stop the book being a hoot! There were actual deaths in this book, many of them quite mean-spirited. It made my young eyes widen in surprise and a little bit of glee! The 50s segment is definitely the most fun and suspenseful. Ashley in the present and her borderline abusive boyfriend were not s ...more
Bex
Dec 11, 2016 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping between two time lines this shows the master at work. Weird twist towards the end took away most of the scare but very glad I didn't remember it!
Da-jo'el
Apr 11, 2009 Da-jo'el rated it it was amazing
Have you ever was teased and felt like you needed to do something?
Well this boy name Buddy did somehting cruel. Something so cruel you couldnt imagine.
Bully have you ever hurt someone in a way that they might get even with you. You might say no but berfor you say that let me tell you this story about Beach House and you should probaly think before you hurt someone in any type of way.

It was the nicest day of the summer. Maria and her friend Amy was relaxed when they heard a cry gor help. Mar
Cindy
Dec 12, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12th-grade
This book sets in two different settings- in 1956 and in 1996 and in perspectives of teenagers in 1956 and the present. Each story or chapter talks about the characters experiences. But each character leads to one death, one by one, being stalked to the beach house. And one by one, no one ever comes out of the beach house. In the present, these 4 teenagers, Lucy, kip, Ashely, and Ross hangs out in the beach. When one day, they noticed this beach house that no ones lives there, but when a guy com ...more
Melissa Namba
Jan 30, 2015 Melissa Namba rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-l-stine
This has been one of my favorite of the revisited R.L. Stine books. I had to laugh because the good looking guys were described as looking like Vanilla Ice! People on the beach were wearing hammer pants. I love it!

The plot was basic but was better than most of the Fear Street stuff. There are two story lines in different times that converge at the end.
Mar 08, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I would probably give any RL Stine book a 5 star rating because of the nostalgic memories it brings back. Are the books a bit cheesy and ridiculous? Yes. But so are the TV shows Tales from the Crypt, Creepshow, and X-Files and I still thoroughly enjoy those! These are fun, easy reads not meant to be taken too seriously! And I enjoy them. :)
Precia Kalam
Jun 26, 2012 Precia Kalam rated it it was amazing
This book is really old and frankly still has an old scare attached to it! I had goosebumps and it felt so creepy reading this book in the dark! Gosh, if your looking for a great scary book, these are one of them!
Chandra
Aug 28, 2008 Chandra rated it did not like it
Who do you root for when the heroes are utter pricks and the villain is a whiny bitch?
No one. The answer is, you root for no one. You just hope that the book will be over as soon as possible.
Felicity
this book is crazy ! it was soo fun to read ! this is not one of the books that you will forget all about and even forget wat page your on ... you will always remember what page your on 1
Kelly
Nov 19, 2015 Kelly added it
I only got this app today how do u read the book
Whitney Price

Reading level Interest level 14-17 boys and girls
Potential hot lava:
Murder, gore & violence

General response/reaction:
I thought it was a typical teenage horror book. It was an easy read yet interesting. I read it in one night so I thought that adolescents would have an easy time rea
Oscar
Dec 20, 2016 Oscar rated it liked it
I liked how it started. I didn't like how it ended. I hated the time jump.
I wanted the book to have a more real ending. The ending was kinda too imaginative and unreal. Fantasy. He could mash up some vampires into all that and it could be a perfect disaster.
Sati Marie Frost
Strange book here. Hard to rate. It gets four stars from me for a weird and cool plot idea, and three stars for characters that I didn't hate but couldn't really empathise with, and two stars for a confusing narrative - so averaging out at three, I guess.

I can't really say much about it without giving everything away. It tells the story of two sets of four teenagers, plus a fifth wheel with each set, that lived forty-ish years apart. In the past, the teenagers are being murdered one by one. In t
Future Slayer Girl
Oct 25, 2012 Future Slayer Girl rated it really liked it
This is the man that started it all…

The legend…

The Master…

The inspiration behind my need to write and the man that made me a book hoarder…

R.L. Stine…

This was the first book I ever read by him. I didn’t realize there were books out there that were for my age group that had some kissing, heavy petting, and a totally crazy psycho serial killer. Not to mention the beach house built on a time warp! Hello! For a twelve year old that was pretty amazing and graphic. In this story we follow two groups of
Rleffert37
Jan 25, 2016 Rleffert37 rated it really liked it
From the beginning I thought that the setting would be in the fifties and Buddy would spend the summer at the Beach House that seems to be abandoned. Within a few chapters you'll learn that the book takes place in both the fifties and eighties. The main characters Ashley and Ross spend the summer of 1986 with their other friend Brad who has a deadly secret about the beach house. And in the summer of 1956, Maria and Amy hand out on the beach talking about how they will spend their summer.

In the
Olivia Hennis
Apr 10, 2016 Olivia Hennis rated it did not like it
Like everything Stine has ever written, including his newly released return to the Fear Street series, this is so very dated.

The plot is a bunch of manpain. I remember reading this when I was in elementary school and enjoying the twist (seen in spoilers in other reviews). But upon re-reading, this whole book just had me rolling my eyes.

Flat characters who I could barely tell apart. Flat prose/lack of meaty descriptions.

Includes: Strong language. Descriptions of violence. Violence against women.
Paul Kim
Aug 05, 2015 Paul Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: r-l-stine
Not your ordinary teen horror book as it has an interesting element regarding time travel.

I thought the book was interesting because the mystery aspect as it links between 1950s and 1990s and it makes you wonder what's the link between these time periods or how these events occur that it makes me want to keep reading without stopping. The twist really caught me off guard because this element isn't explored in these type of books.

The characters though are the weakest link. Our main character seem
Codie
Dec 16, 2013 Codie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beach house focuses on two different plots.One take place in the summer of 1956,the other one takes place in 1992.Each summer has two different groups of teenagers,they do what teens do,have fun,date,drama,gossip,and die.Buddy is a character who you see in the summer of 1956,in this summer Ashley,Ross,and Brad are the main character, everyone else dies.All the teenagers starts dying due to peer pressure of something like that.I wanted to read an awesome ending.The book does not disappoint,in ...more
Connie
Jan 11, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Beach House
Series: Point Horror #22
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 4 stars

There's a beach house that lies abandoned, but it's history is full of mystery and horror. In 1956, a killer stalks a group of friend's one by one, but what does the mysterious Buddy who claims to live in the house have to do with it, and the same is happening in the present. How are these events linked?

Turns out you can travel through time through this house and a sad
Kaitlin Mills
Apr 25, 2015 Kaitlin Mills rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I recently pulled this back off of my bookshelf because I'd been talking about R.L. Stine books with a few friends. I read this, as well as many other R.L. Stine books, when I was young and I was really interested to see if I would still like it and appreciate it as much as an adult, as I did as a child.

I probably didn't enjoy the ending as much as I did when I was young because it was a little far fetched for me as an adult, but this book was still able to keep me guessing (since I didn't remem
Michelle Toy
5 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2015/08...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
V H
Dec 16, 2011 V H rated it it was ok
Another book that I thought from the cover would be scary. It was a bit creepy, but I wouldn't call it scary. It was a weird book in a way, it was okay but not great. I used to love to read the Goosebumps books by R. L. Stine when I was a young teenager, and I think I would have enjoyed this book more back then as well, I would have probably even thought it was scary then.

It's a bit confusing as it changes between 1956 and "current" time (early 90's), and keeping track of who's who and what hap
Rosie Jean Jenkins
Feb 07, 2014 Rosie Jean Jenkins rated it really liked it
The book is talking about like, there is this abandoned beach house and there are some teenagers that swim by the beach house, and a girl gets killed because she gets stabbed, and then the guy who killed her laughs and starts yelling "SHARK FOOD!" He got really mad at her for cheating on him. The police found no evidence until later on in the book, they found out who did kill the girl and no one wanted to be the guys friend anymore because they found out that he was a murder who lives in the bea ...more
Amanda
Sep 12, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
As I'm rereading these, I gotta say, I didn't remember this one. So the ending actually surprised me somewhat. I really didn't see it coming. It felt like a nice twist away from the expected. The pop culture references had me laughing out loud at points, which was fun. But I didn't really care much about the characters. Sometimes I can really find myself rooting for a character in one of these, but not so much this time. Maybe it was because of the jumping back and forth between timelines. There ...more
Tara
Jun 16, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Mav Skye
May 27, 2011 Mav Skye rated it liked it
I like to read RL Stine when I feel like I’m over-complicating my plots and my life. What I’ve learned from this book is that every time I come up with a plot issue (or life issue), I need to insert a time warp. And that will solve everything.

I wonder if I can hire someone to install a Time Warping thingy in my closet? Anyone have a number for that?

Needless to say, despite the surprise ---Guess what? The murderer was time warping!!!! --- ending. I really enjoyed the book.

RL Stine rocks.
Kelly
Jan 14, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I loved everything about this book except for the silly ending, lol (although young people would probably appreciate the ending more than I). Back when I was in middle and early high school, I devoured every single R.L. Stine book that I could get my hands on. I remember buying huge stacks from the bookstore at the mall, and being so excited to get home and start reading. Ah, good memories. I don't recall ever reading Beach House, as I would have been in the 10th Grade by the time it was even pu ...more
Saviourofmusic
Feb 18, 2013 Saviourofmusic rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was 9, almost two decades before it actually came out. It was sitting in the classroom bookshelf with "THRILLER" marked on the side as the genre. It was supposed to be the class's "scariest" book. I can't remember much of it. Apparently it's a young adult book, but I enjoyed it and didn't find it too scary as a 9 year old. So if you're looking for something to scare you don't read, unless you're really prone to fright. But if you're looking for a mystery you'll enjoy this ...more
Taneysha forsyth
Apr 10, 2009 Taneysha forsyth rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK."THIS BOOK IS MAINLY ABOUT A BEACH HOUSE KILLINGS FAR AWAY.I THINK THE CHARACTER WAS NEVORS AND SCARED BACUSE SHE OR HE WAS SCARED OF BEING PRESENT OF THE MURDER.I WANT TO FIT IN THE CHARACTERS SHOES BECAUSE I WANT TO FEEL THE PRESSURE OF THE MURDER.IT WAS MAINLY ABOUT PEOPLE WHO GO IN THE BEACH HOUSE THEY DIE AND ARE BURIED IN THE SAND.YOU CAN FIND THIS BOOK IN MS.WOODARD'S BOOKS.
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)
  • Final Exam
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Waitress
  • Prom Dress
  • The Perfume
  • The Phantom
  • See You Later
  • Mirror, Mirror (Point Horror, #13)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Party Line
  • Prom Dress
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)