Glory Road

Glory Road (Army of the Potomac #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From Disastrous Fredericksburg to bloody Gettysburg--the route of the Army of the Potomac was marked by death and destruction.

Careers were made and broken and the earth was scorched. But the war had its curious human moments too:

"Along the banks of the Rappahannock, the Yankee pickets carried on trade with the Confederates across the water. The 46th New York sent a little...more
Mass Market Paperback, 436 pages
Published November 1st 1964 by Pocket Books (first published 1952)

Eric
This—

"Wendell Phillips, the gadfly of abolition, was on the rostrum that spring of 1863 crying out that the power which dwelt in [Emancipation] must be used as a telling weapon. He saw the war between North and South as something infinitely portentous, not confined to one continent: 'Wherever caste lives, wherever class power exists, whether it be on the Thames or on the Seine, whether on the Ganges or on the Danube, there the South has an ally…Never until we welcome the Negro, the foreigner, al
Ted
A magnificent second part to Catton's trilogy. It covers the period from the autumn of 1862 to the battle of Gettysburg in July of '63.

To give an idea of the Catton's moving style, I will simply offer an extended quote. This is from chapter 3, "White Road in the Moonlight", at the very end of the chapter, describing Colonel Strong Vincent leading a brigade of the V Corps up into Pennsylvania to reinforce Buford at Gettysburg. This was on June 30, the night before the full moon of July 1.

"There w...more
Kurt
I realized while reading Glory Road that I'm rating Catton's work largely on his ability to write history in the most engaging of ways, and not solely on scholarship (although this is clearly well researched). In describing the army's approach to Gettysburg, he writes, "There was the long white road in the moonlight, with the small-town girls laughing and crying in the shadows, and the swaying ranks of young men waving to them and moving on past them. To these girls who had been nowhere and who...more
Rgroves
Prose is fabulous. One of the best final several paragraphs of any book I have read in a very long time.
Sean Chick
A beautiful narrative of an army going from the shame of defeat to the great triumph at Gettysburg.
Richard
I enjoyed reading the first book in Bruce Catton's "The Army of the Potomac Trilogy" so much that I couldn't wait to continue his saga of the Civil War with this book. The starting point for this book is when the ever-cautious, slow-moving General McClellan, beloved by his soldiers, is finally given the sack by President Lincoln. You might say the events of this book, roughly from December 1862 to November 1863 represent the Army of the United States' time in the Wilderness, with nothing to show...more
Riannon
I was, to my great excitement, finally able to obtain this book on loan from another library (for some reason it was really hard to find a copy), and I have to say, it did not disappoint.

Catton's writing is superb as ever. The book is filled with interesting and funny anecdotes, but despite the human interest side notes Catton never loses sight of the main story, and Glory Road keeps moving at a consistent enjoyable pace.

Historically, this book extends from the disastrous battle at Fredericksb...more
Bill Rogers
Bruce Catton's brilliant Army of the Potomac continues with this tale of the middle years of the Civil War. Here is the struggle against Robert E. Lee, who seemed invincible, in a year where Abraham Lincoln would give command of this his greatest army to another general; send that general and army out to yet another defeat and disaster; and, with increasing desperation, search for another general.

In this time it was the devotion of the soldiers that held the Union cause together, more than anyth...more
Norbert
Whew! Unbelievable that the North won the civil war. The Bloody Route from Fredericksburg to Gettysburg by the Army of the Potomac was unnecessarily bloody because of the imcompetency of the northern generals. Twice as many Americans died in battle in the Civil War than did in all of WWII.
I usually write much longer reviews but will forgo that privilege. I did like the book but the stupidity kept me angry throughout most of the book.
Jay Seaborg
Any Catton book is a pleasure to read. Not only does he present the facts of the war in a clearly understood manner, his prose is first-rate. I highly recommend working your way through all of his Civil War works, allowing ample time to sometimes re-read a passage just for the joy of savoring his prose one more time.
Grant
An interesting history of the Union army prior to Grant. Starting right after McCelland and taking in the failed generals. Very good discussion of the un-unioned part of the northern union. Indiana in particular. Good mind expanding book.

The description of the major battles is detailed, and I learned a LOT regarding the tactics and sometimes the lack of them. The book ends with Lincoln's Gettysberg Address just about to be given, but doesn't actually contain the text of the address. I wish that...more
Scott L.
An amazing book. It is unfortunate that I started the trilogy with the second book, but even as such the book stands on its own merits. Catton is a great writer, and I have been wanting to read the "Army of the Potomac" trilogy for years; I am very happy to say that this book of the trilogy loved up to my expectations. Covering the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg; and also the home front and other aspects of the Civil War, Catton's book is very readable and exciting. I...more
Clifford
This is the second book in the tome I have entitled Bruce Catton's Civil War. I thoroughly enjoyed it as much as Mr. Lincoln's Army, the first book in the combined trilogy. This deals strictly with the Army of the Potomac so there were new facts and new information I had read in previous books.

The third and final book is A Stillness at Appomattox and while I love the civil war, I think I will take a break before I plunge into reading the final book.
David Howell
This was one of the first Civil War books I read as a teenager.It is one of the best accounts of the fabled Army of the Potomac in print,and with the other two volumes in this trilogy ,Mr Lincolns Army and Stillness at Appomattox,take the reader thru the brutal fighting in Virginia and the eastern theater of the War.A must read for all Civil War Buffs and anyone interested in History.
robert
Fredricksburg through Gettysburg from a Northerner's chair. Lots of intelligent detail from the foot soldier to the clueless officers and scheming higher ups. Why the heck would anyone read the comic books of Jeff Shara when they can travel along the Glory Road of Bruce Catton?
Norm
Very stirring story of the war from the perspective of the Army of the Potomac - under its generals McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, Meade, and....have to wait for the next volume of the trilogy to find out who's next...I can guess....)
Elwood D Pennypacker
If only I had finished this book last week, we'd have had enough information to win the pub quiz! Blast!

If you like dry depictions of military troop movements and alignments, this is for you. If you don't like that, this is also for you.
Amanda
Yet another dense book but a good one. We are now through Gettysburg, and I can see the Union Army taking a turn for the better. I'm looking forward to the third and final book though I need a bit of a break before tackling it.
Matt
Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogy is an excellent introduction to the Civil War. Actually, it's pretty much just excellent. The end of Glory Road was so good, I almost cried -- almost. A real man sheds no tears.
Steve
The second volume of the classic trilogy. This book goes in detail about the battle of Antietam, Which was the bloodiest battle fought in the Civil War. And how the soldiers lived-food, weaponry, equipment.
Dean Gibson
Excellent. There is enough hard data here to make this a good refence point for the historian, and enough personal anecdote recorded to keep it from getting too dry.
Anna
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. The war’s implications for politics and the economy. Again, I am a big fan of Bruce Catton's writing style.
Mark Regensburger
Great book showing the marked improvement of the Army of the Potomac from November 1862 through Gettysburg. Easy reading but could use maps.
James
Book two of the master historian's Civil War trilogy - anyone who is interested in the Civil War or American history in general should read this.
Erik Graff
Aug 13, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Reviewed under the rubric of The Army of the Potomac of which this is the second of three volumes.
Dick
If you want to know about the Civil War, Catton is the guy.
Dan
I can't get enough of this stuff.
  • Chancellorsville
  • The Life of Johnny Reb: The Common Soldier of the Confederacy
  • The Civil War, Vol. 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • Crossroads of Freedom: Antietam
  • The Passing of Armies: An Account Of The Final Campaign Of The Army Of The Potomac
  • Hardtack and Coffee or, The Unwritten Story of Army Life
  • The Civil War: An Illustrated History
  • Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civil War
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won the Civil War
  • Gray Fox: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War (Classics of War)
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
Catton was known as a narrative historian who specialized in popular histories that emphasized the colorful characters and vignettes of history, in addition to the simple dates, facts, and analysis. His works, although well-researched, were generally not presented in a rigorous academic style, supported by footnotes. In the long line of Civil War historians, Catton is arguably the most prolific an...more
More about Bruce Catton...
A Stillness at Appomattox The Coming Fury Mr. Lincoln's Army Terrible Swift Sword: The Centennial History of the Civil War Series, Volume 2 Never Call Retreat