Start by marking “Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide (Graphic Guides)

The term "feminism" came into English usage around the 1890s, but women's conscious struggle to resist discrimination and sexist oppression goes back much further. Introducing Feminism surveys the major developments that have affected women's lives from the seventeenth century to the present day.

"Readers who have forgotten the struggles of women who came generations—and ce
Published September 1st 2010 by Icon Books (first published June 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Feminism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Feminism

Noora
Mar 16, 2013 Noora rated it it was amazing
I'll give this a 5 out of 5 stars. It was very easy to read and understand. The illustrations complimented the written work perfectly and it introduced me to so many influential feminist works. I now have such a long its of books and articles to read, this guide did a wonderful job at introducing feminism clearly. I would recommend this book to everyone, especially the people who claim they hate feminism without knowing what it really is. I already recommended this book to a guy friend after deb ...more
Moushumi Ghosh
Dec 14, 2014 Moushumi Ghosh rated it liked it
As the book title indicates, this is a book to get you started on Feminism. By no means is it an end. I wanted to brush up on the latest developments and revise its history a bit. And that explains why this was my weekend read. It's an interesting take - a graphic almost full length work on a topic of non fiction. But I felt a bit removed from a topic that I care so much about. I can't help but compare with Peter Barry's 'Beginning Theory,' which was a very good survey of -isms of the 21st centu ...more
Gemma Thomson
Feb 12, 2012 Gemma Thomson rated it really liked it
I like and respect this book, which does a great job of introducing quite a wide spread of historical and contemporary attitudes towards advocating feminism. It comes with some great quotes, delivered nicely as part of its graphic illustrations, and does an admirable job of presenting the many different stances on more contemporary feminists in particular.

It does also feature some introduction to black feminism and the plight or supposed plight of "women in the Third World", but there's remarkab
Angela
May 25, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
This is a very standard introduction. I learned a few interesting details but found there to be a lot missing and the book primarily focusing on the mainstream history of feminism and although it addresses the lack of diversity in both feminism and the telling of it, the book falls into the same trap. I disagreed with a couple of the perspectives and how they were posited in the book but it is a good quick primer.
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Author Cathia Jenainati is a feminist scholar, historian and college professor; however, she does not address the third wave of feminism in this book at all, other than mentioning "girl power" and crediting it to the Spice Girls. Why does she omits this part of history?! Why does she reduce it to a mainstream mass-marketed soundbite?!
selin
Jul 28, 2015 selin rated it it was amazing
I gave it a 5/5 because it is everything you'd expect. A bird's eye view to the history of feminism. Not extremely detailed but gives you enough information/reference to continue reading about a subject if you'd like to.
Frightful_elk
Jun 07, 2009 Frightful_elk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-theory
Excellent introduction to feminism, covers the strong women who led the way, the classic feminist texts and the challenges still faced.
Myr Iam
Jul 13, 2015 Myr Iam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy-going ,enjoyable ,and informative read. I've found myself familiar with many names and theories ,but I've also discovered a large set of information, I ignored or knew little about them.
Mary
Jan 21, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
A very basic history and definitely geared towards people studying this area.
doramaar717
Apr 13, 2008 doramaar717 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great primer on feminist history and theory without having to read it all.
Hayley Williamson
Dec 13, 2016 Hayley Williamson rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was fun! I definitely learned some things I didn't know. I do wish it had included more information about modern (third wave) feminism and things like trans inclusive feminism or feminism for other minorities. So basically, I guess I wish it was longer.
Dani
Oct 13, 2016 Dani rated it liked it
This was a good little book, it served as a refresher course.
Sophie Exintaris
Sep 26, 2016 Sophie Exintaris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Had never read a linear history purely focusing on gender-based discrimination nor had I read accounts or texts of "feminist" thinkers before.
An enlightening read, which has added about a dozen books to my to-read list.
Would strongly recommend it as an excellent introduction and primer.
The illustrations and layout help with recall of the points made. An excellent series!!
Tess carlton
Dec 26, 2015 Tess carlton rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was truly enlightening. for ages my brother was trying to convince me to expand my reading horizons to read more complicated and developed books as well as more non fiction. being a female with strong feminist views i decided finally that i would read this book.

i will first start by addressing just the style of these graphic guides. well it was extraordinary, they are really graphic guides. they include many picture of the historical people and their actions and the writing is
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 Icon Books rated it it was amazing
The term 'feminism' came into English usage around the 1890s, but women's conscious struggle to resist discrimination and sexist oppression goes much further back. This completely new and updated edition of "Introducing Feminism" surveys the major developments that have affected women's lives from the 17th century to the present day. "Introducing Feminism" is an invaluable reference book for anyone seeking the story of how feminism reconfigured the world for women and men alike.

Cathia Jenainati
Anna Tunnard
Oct 21, 2009 Anna Tunnard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book. It covers a long historical period and traces the development of women's struggles for equal rights up to their challenge of legal and social restrictions on them in the 21st century. You won't find the selection covered here anywhere else, nor will you find the great--though at times provocative--ilustrations. This book is a god-send if you're taking a course at uni and you want to say impressive things in seminars. It's full of facts and tells a very compellin ...more
Sebastre Desastre
I understand this is an introduction to feminism (and an illustrated one!), so the author couldn't really go into much details, but I was pretty disappointed with the fact that she focuses so much on 1st and 2nd (white) feminism.

There's a small section of the book about different black feminists, and a few pages about contemporary feminism and women in non-Western countries, but it was disappointing to me that so little was said about them.

Also, there no mention of trans women and trans feminis
Nele
Apr 17, 2016 Nele rated it it was amazing
While I have been a feminist for a long time now it hasn't been until I started to question current political and cutural standards that I would actually say that I advocate feminism. This book has been a very good overview of the history of the struggle women went and are still going through. It gave an insight on the most important milestones and the different feminisms that exist. I am sure that I will continue to study some of the women mentioned in the book and to broaden my own perspective ...more
Alisa Cupcakeland
Jul 20, 2016 Alisa Cupcakeland rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It was a great introductory book to understand feminism, including divergent approaches from different types of feminism. The book focuses on the history of feminism in the US and England throughout time. It also include a list of milestones in the history of feminism.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the illustrations made by Jude Groves, I didn't like her style but the content of the book is so great that I can forgive that detail.
Fiorella Morzi
Feb 18, 2015 Fiorella Morzi rated it liked it
A book that covers a lot of feminism's basics, without getting into much detail. To take on feminism's history and its advocates' diverse perspectives is no easy task, so for what it's worth, it serves its purpose well as introductory. It gives a decent breakdown of major works, events, and figures, and is fairly accessible. Quick and enjoyable read.
Phoebe WildeWoolfOrWells
This is generally a very nice textbook, everything explained clearly, very interesting if you care about feminism, it does read like a textbook though. I am a feminist and I enjoyed it, took only a little while to read, lots of nice illustrations and pictures. Overall a good little book.
Kadir
Jul 04, 2014 Kadir rated it really liked it
I really like this book because it was easy to read and understand. Great introducing to feminism. But there are also women live in middle east. Feminism is not just for America or England. With some information about feminism in the middle east, this book could've been much better.
Joel
May 15, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to feminist thought, the development of women's rights and a broad background on key texts and figures. A significant shortcoming of this book is a complete lack of coverage of third-wave feminism and only a cursory glance at non-Western feminist activity.
Amanda
May 30, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A breif graphical exploration of the development of feminist thought from its early roots through to contemporary ideas with a comprehensive list for further reading.
Ross
Jul 15, 2015 Ross rated it it was amazing
A 'femtastic' book providing history of feminism and the range of forms it takes whether a beginner or not perfect book for those interested in feminism.
Layne
Jun 17, 2012 Layne rated it really liked it
This was a great overview of feminist history and the continuing struggle for women's rights. I definitely recommend it for anyone who is wondering what feminism is all about.
Phoebe Macdonald
May 13, 2012 Phoebe Macdonald rated it really liked it
A great introduction to a broad topic. Brilliant illustrations, too. A chapter on male feminists would have been good, though.
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Pamela Bond
Pamela Bond rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire
  • The Portable Abraham Lincoln
  • Introducing Psychoanalysis: A Graphic Guide
  • Now You See Me

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 98 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Fascism and Nazism
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Jesus
  • Kafka

“Harriet Taylor Mill and John Stuart Mill are two key figures who endorsed Wollstonecraft's liberal feminist ideas and expanded them in the second half of the 19th century. They too led an unconventional private life.

Harriet Taylor was married and mother to two children when she met J.S. Mill and began a long-term relationship with him- with the permission of her husband John Taylor. Harriet and Mill were attracted to each other intellectually and emotionally, although it is believed that their relationship remained Platonic until they were married following the death of John Taylor.

There is still uncertainty as to whether the Mills enjoyed a sexua relationship before or after their marriage. There is evidence in their writing to suggest that they found the sexual act inherently degrading.”
0 likes
“As a feminist who identifies as a lesbian, Adrienne Rich coined the term compulsory heterosexuality in 1980. She maintained that patriarchal society dictates that women must choose men as their sexual partners and perpetuates the ideology of the heterosexual romance. Consequently, lesbian sexuality is seen as deviant and transgressive.” 0 likes