Start by marking “Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Feminism: A Graphic Guide

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The term "feminism" came into English usage around the 1890s, but women's conscious struggle to resist discrimination and sexist oppression goes back much further. Introducing Feminism surveys the major developments that have affected women's lives from the seventeenth century to the present day.

"Readers who have forgotten the struggles of women who came generations—and ce
Published September 1st 2010 by Icon Books (first published June 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Feminism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Feminism

Noora
I'll give this a 5 out of 5 stars. It was very easy to read and understand. The illustrations complimented the written work perfectly and it introduced me to so many influential feminist works. I now have such a long its of books and articles to read, this guide did a wonderful job at introducing feminism clearly. I would recommend this book to everyone, especially the people who claim they hate feminism without knowing what it really is. I already recommended this book to a guy friend after deb ...more
Moushumi Ghosh
As the book title indicates, this is a book to get you started on Feminism. By no means is it an end. I wanted to brush up on the latest developments and revise its history a bit. And that explains why this was my weekend read. It's an interesting take - a graphic almost full length work on a topic of non fiction. But I felt a bit removed from a topic that I care so much about. I can't help but compare with Peter Barry's 'Beginning Theory,' which was a very good survey of -isms of the 21st centu ...more
Gemma Thomson
I like and respect this book, which does a great job of introducing quite a wide spread of historical and contemporary attitudes towards advocating feminism. It comes with some great quotes, delivered nicely as part of its graphic illustrations, and does an admirable job of presenting the many different stances on more contemporary feminists in particular.

It does also feature some introduction to black feminism and the plight or supposed plight of "women in the Third World", but there's remarkab
selin
I gave it a 5/5 because it is everything you'd expect. A bird's eye view to the history of feminism. Not extremely detailed but gives you enough information/reference to continue reading about a subject if you'd like to.
Myr Iam
An easy-going ,enjoyable ,and informative read. I've found myself familiar with many names and theories ,but I've also discovered a large set of information, I ignored or knew little about them.
Rebecca
Author Cathia Jenainati is a feminist scholar, historian and college professor; however, she does not address the third wave of feminism in this book at all, other than mentioning "girl power" and crediting it to the Spice Girls. Why does she omits this part of history?! Why does she reduce it to a mainstream mass-marketed soundbite?!
Frightful_elk
Excellent introduction to feminism, covers the strong women who led the way, the classic feminist texts and the challenges still faced.
Mary
A very basic history and definitely geared towards people studying this area.
doramaar717
great primer on feminist history and theory without having to read it all.
Fiorella Morzi
A book that covers a lot of feminism's basics, without getting into much detail. To take on feminism's history and its advocates' diverse perspectives is no easy task, so for what it's worth, it serves its purpose well as introductory. It gives a decent breakdown of major works, events, and figures, and is fairly accessible. Quick and enjoyable read.
Phoebe WildeWoolfOrWells
This is generally a very nice textbook, everything explained clearly, very interesting if you care about feminism, it does read like a textbook though. I am a feminist and I enjoyed it, took only a little while to read, lots of nice illustrations and pictures. Overall a good little book.
Kadir
I really like this book because it was easy to read and understand. Great introducing to feminism. But there are also women live in middle east. Feminism is not just for America or England. With some information about feminism in the middle east, this book could've been much better.
Emma
This is a wonderful introduction to the fundamentals of feminism! Just because this book has the word "graphic" on the cover, PLEASE do not think that this is in any way a breezy read. It deals with heavy issues that stretch much further back into history than we realize and it also highlights the many branches of feminism, which can, unless explained well, be confusing at times. This book creates a very understandable order for these waves and branches! I also like that this book does not give ...more
Icon Books
The term 'feminism' came into English usage around the 1890s, but women's conscious struggle to resist discrimination and sexist oppression goes much further back. This completely new and updated edition of "Introducing Feminism" surveys the major developments that have affected women's lives from the 17th century to the present day. "Introducing Feminism" is an invaluable reference book for anyone seeking the story of how feminism reconfigured the world for women and men alike.

Cathia Jenainati
Anna Tunnard
Really enjoyed reading this book. It covers a long historical period and traces the development of women's struggles for equal rights up to their challenge of legal and social restrictions on them in the 21st century. You won't find the selection covered here anywhere else, nor will you find the great--though at times provocative--ilustrations. This book is a god-send if you're taking a course at uni and you want to say impressive things in seminars. It's full of facts and tells a very compellin ...more
Angela
This is a very standard introduction. I learned a few interesting details but found there to be a lot missing and the book primarily focusing on the mainstream history of feminism and although it addresses the lack of diversity in both feminism and the telling of it, the book falls into the same trap. I disagreed with a couple of the perspectives and how they were posited in the book but it is a good quick primer.
Layne
This was a great overview of feminist history and the continuing struggle for women's rights. I definitely recommend it for anyone who is wondering what feminism is all about.
Amanda
A breif graphical exploration of the development of feminist thought from its early roots through to contemporary ideas with a comprehensive list for further reading.
Ross
A 'femtastic' book providing history of feminism and the range of forms it takes whether a beginner or not perfect book for those interested in feminism.
Phoebe Macdonald
A great introduction to a broad topic. Brilliant illustrations, too. A chapter on male feminists would have been good, though.
Aditi
Really great. But wished it had illustrated more of the non-Western world! Very interesting though!
Dominique Pordeus
A great introduction to feminism's history, it is direct and easy to read.
Maria
Very easy to read and gave a great view and history on feminism.
Jules Wolfers
very good quotes and resources- art stinks, thro. :D
Frankie
Factual. Easy to read, easy to understand.
Tansy Bradshaw
A good basic introduction to Feminism
Arin
Arin is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • Meat Market: Female Flesh Under Capitalism
  • Feminism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Introducing Kierkegaard
  • Introducing Marxism: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Now You See Me
  • Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb
  • War in the Age of Intelligent Machines
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • War and Peace in the Global Village
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Postmodernism