Start by marking “Farewell But Not Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Farewell But Not Goodbye

Farewell But Not Goodbye

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The autobiography of Sir Bobby Robson, a former international footballer for England who has become one of the most widely respected managers in the World game. In addition to managing England in two World Cups, Sir Bobby has also taken charge of numerous clubs including Barcelona, Newcastle United, PSV Eindhoven, Ipswich Town, Sporting Lisbon and Porto.
Published July 27th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Farewell But Not Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell But Not Goodbye

Pete daPixie
Oct 19, 2015 Pete daPixie rated it liked it
Shelves: footie, autobiogs
Certainly Sir Bobby Robson's autobiography documents his long football journey. I'm old enough to say that he was on the pitch playing the game when I first took my place on the terraces.
'Farewell but not Goodbye' may be one of the better 'footie' autobiogs, yet although it documents his early life and career, his decade or so at the highest levels of the English game are not given the space in this book that I would have liked.
The balance is not there too, when he covers his managerial career.
M.G. Mason
Aug 18, 2012 M.G. Mason rated it it was amazing
I'm not a great fan of biographies. Seriously, far too many non-entities these days are spewing the events of their event-less lives into books. Clearly, Sir Bobby Robson does not fit that description and I read this keenly to find out what he had to say about his time as England manager, what he thought of Maradona after "that" incident and the events surrounding his time as manager of Newcastle United.

This autobiography, poignantly named "Farewell, but not goodbye" was written shortly after he
Lee
Jun 10, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any soccer fan or coach should be interested in the career of Sir Bobby Robson. A native of the North-East of England, Sir Bobby Robson has coached at some of the biggest soccer clubs in the world.

Not only does this book offer life-lessons, it also delves into Sir Bobby's mindset as a player and offers an insight into his considerably talented coaching brain.

A thoroughly enjoyable book and my respect for Sir Bobby has risen considerably after only reading eight chapters. A Sir by name, a Sir by
Julia Hughes
Sep 18, 2011 Julia Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In stark contrast to the other England manager's autobiography, (El Tel) this book is all about football. Bobby Robson lived and breathed the game. In my mind he is and will remain one of the greatest managers, the knowledge and insight he brought with him makes every other manager look like a schoolkid trying to act as though they're grown up.
The suits at Lancaster Gate should hang their heads in shame at the way they treated one of their greatest assets. That towards the end of his life, Bobb
Sze Chao
Mar 31, 2013 Sze Chao rated it really liked it
Life story of an honourable man who's brought the best football to Newcastle in my time as a fan. Wonderful read, highly recommended for any football fan.

Sir Bobby is a down-to-earth, role-model professional all footballers should aspire to emulate.

This book has taught me luck definitely plays a part in success, but one needs to strike it lucky through hardwork. Some people are just fortunate enough to be doing the thing they love most as their work.
janghir Chowdhury
Oct 11, 2011 janghir Chowdhury rated it really liked it
Honest, moving and that far removed from the current tossers of modern day football. from the Baggies to Barcelona, the highs of England and his battle with cancer. Great read, great bloke.
Wayne
Jun 14, 2010 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about one of the very few true gents that have graced the game. A real legend that will be sorely missed by football fans around the world
Simon Burke
Dec 27, 2011 Simon Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great autobiography from one of my favorite ever people, written not too long before he died.
Stuart
Nov 06, 2014 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was hard done by in many of his roles. But a legend of the game
Martin
Aug 23, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read written by an absolute Legend .
Darren Keighley
Nov 21, 2011 Darren Keighley rated it it was amazing
An amazing read by an amazing man.
Angela Free
Dave Kettle
Jan 19, 2010 Dave Kettle rated it really liked it
H'way the lads man!
Richard Baxter
Richard Baxter rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
David Paul
David Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tom Carlisle
Tom Carlisle rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Neil Williams
Neil Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Joshua Sandeman
Joshua Sandeman rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Rakshith V
Rakshith V rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Tom Tolson
Tom Tolson rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Grytolan
Grytolan rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Ricky Gardiner
Ricky Gardiner marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
  • Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
  • My Liverpool Home
  • Blood on the Line
  • Rain Men: The Madness of Cricket
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • Fowler: My Autobiography