Start by marking “The Evolutionary Void (with bonus short story If At First...)” as Want to Read:
The Evolutionary Void (with bonus short story If At First...)

The Evolutionary Void (Void #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  9,777 ratings  ·  345 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains Peter F. Hamilton's short story, If At First...

Exposed as the Second Dreamer, Araminta has become the target of a galaxywide search by
others equally determined to prevent—or facilitate—the pilgrimage into the Void. An indestructible microuniverse, the Void may contain paradise, but it is also a deadly threat. For the reality that exists inside
Published August 24th 2010 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Evolutionary Void, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evolutionary Void

Robert
Having waited what feels like eternity to get a mass market paperback edition of this, the final volume in the Void trilogy, I went back and re-read the first two volumes in order to remind myself what was going on.

Those previous volumes did not withstand a second reading very well; their primary plus points were the new SF ideas and of course, they aren't new second time around. So...1400p to remind myself of the backstory, then onwards!

The final volume suffers problems similar to those of Hami
mark monday
a rousing end to hamilton's most ambitious hard science space opera yet. the author certainly believes in the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, as this trilogy (although it is truly more of a quintet) includes EVERTHING: artificial intelligences, sun-diving, galactic religious movements, bionic enhancements, alien species (including a sci-fi explanation for ELVES for chrissakes), a range of modes of space & time travel, mysteries that have lasted a millenia, lots of space battles, de ...more
David Sven
We discover what the Void is - sort of. We discover what Makkathran is. We find out who Aaron is and who he's working for exactly, and more. There's a lot going on in this book and I couldn't put it down for the last 5%. The other 95% however, I was pushing myself to stay motivated. I wanted to know how it would all end but at the same time I just wanted it to end.

Now that I've finished the Trilogy it's hard not to compare it to its predecessor - The Commonwealth Saga. I loved Pandora's Star(rev
Mark
Here it is, the book I've been waiting nearly two years for: The Evolutionary Void. The conclusion to the Void Trilogy, started with The Dreaming Void and followed up by The Temporal Void, is by far my most anticipated book of the year and the series is making very strong noises to be my favourite finished series ever. So, with expectations that simply couldn't get any higher, does The Evolutionary Void meet these? Simple answer: Hell yeah!

The Evolutionary Void picks up immediately where The Tem
Guillermo

Once in a while, a book or series of books will come along that just awe me with the amount of work and imagination it must have taken to create. The Void trilogy did just that. To be able to weave high fantasy on one half, with high technology on the other (Clarke's axiom is in full effect here about high technology being indistinguishable from magic), and send them both on a collision course, was amazing to read. The only thing that got in the way from this being a five star book/series for m
Nico
I couldn't hold myself back and read the whole thing in nearly a day. It was so satisfying to see everything fall in place. So many twists and overall great storytelling kept me glued to the book and I hardly could put it down.
Peter F. Hamilton is truly a master of the scfi genre and I absolutely love his writing and his ideas. His style is definitely not for everyone, most of the people I read reviews of gave up because the story builds up very slowly. But if you have enough stamina to get thro
David
This book is the last of the Void trilogy by Peter Hamilton. The Living Dream movement is sending pilgrimage to the Void, in a fleet of twelve enormous spacecraft. They intend to enter the Void, and live on the planet Querencia. They learned about the planet from the dreamer, Inigo, who broadcast dreams about Edeard to the whole galaxy.

The problem is that if the Living Dream enters the Void, it will expand and destroy the galaxy. So, a few desperate allies are trying to find a way to prevent th

The Void Trilogy is an amazing effort made by one of the master’s of science fiction. While I do think that readers may appreciate this series more if they read Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained first, it’s not absolutely necessary (as I have proved). It is impossible not to enjoy a series this sprawling, complex, tightly woven and incredibly written. Though some readers might not feel that this is Hamilton’s best effort, it is still worth checking out as few authors can master science
F.R.
And so Peter Hamilton's space opera comes to an end in – if I’m honest – a not particularly satisfactory fashion. All in all, this is a long tale, over 2100 pages across three volumes and although Hamilton is clearly skilled at marshalling his large cast to where he needs them, the ending still managed to feel incredibly rushed. It's almost as if the author enjoyed hanging out on the alien worlds he created and. loved spending time with his characters, that what would constitute an actual conclu ...more
Liviu
I finished The Evolutionary Void by PF Hamilton, the highly awaited finale to the Void trilogy and it is *the* sf novel of the year and the best PF Hamilton at least since The Reality Dysfunction - which I still consider the best PFH for its unabashed sense of wonder and larger than life characters - if not ever.

Everything comes together into the grand finale - and here there should be no more complaints about weak endings, deus-ex-machina and all - and there are enough twists and turns to make
Sandi
I really don't see any way Peter F. Hamilton can top the Void Trilogy. This was an absolutely riveting series and I'm kind of sad it's over, and I'm not the kind of reader who gets into really huge, complicated series. I really liked how well Hamilton tied up all the plot lines. It was quite an achievement. In a way, it's refreshing to see something wrapped up so well in three volumes.

I didn't like John Lee's narration when I first heard him in Pandora's Star, but I think he's grown on me with t
Rob
Executive Summary: A good, but not great conclusion to a good, but not great trilogy. 3.5 Stars.

Audio book: I really like John Lee, especially for these Commonwealth books. Another excellent job here.

Full Review
I think this book wraps things up pretty nicely, but I didn't quite enjoy this one as much as The Temporal Void. That book heavily revolved around Edeard's story, which is really more fantasy than sci-fi and I found very enjoyable. But I guess I grew tired of it, because those parts seem
Tamahome
Checking out the sample in the kindle app, since the spell check in the b&n nook app sucks (didn't have 'marque'). The author has a healthy vocabulary, and is also British. But I like big fonts. He has a lot of backstory, true, but the backstory is all silvery and sparkly.

pg 80: Coolness.

Location 1632 - 1635 --- 12%: No! Not back in the fantasy world with Edeard.

Location 2672 - 2674 --- 20%: The Silfen are back baby

Location 5403 - 5405 --- 40%: I'm tired of this Edeard stuff.

53%: I'm at a
Lee
A pretty good end to the Void trilogy, wrapping up both Edeard's personal journey within the Void and the widespread shenanigans going on outside. Alas, the book does seem to stall a little compared to its two antecedents. There are quite a lot of characters just waiting in the wings doing a great deal of nothing during the book; a fact highlighted when the characters we do follow say "This task I'm doing will take three days," and then on the next line they're done, merely flagging the fact tha ...more
Lee
I am not going to review this one individually as i didn't write reviews for the other two. Needless to say, I am still a Hamilton fan. Somewhat, I must admit that Reynolds has moved above Hamilton in my mind for better stories.
It has taken me months to listen to this trilogy, there were times where i couldn't wait to listen to moe as I was completely engaged, then there was times where I was drifting off thinking about maybe taking the high street way home instead of the freeway and realising
Chris LaHatte
Mark
Couldn't put it down.

When I play computer games, I'm forced to admit that sometimes I go back to an earlier save point when things aren't going perfectly. Peter F. Hamilton seems to have taken this concept to a new level with his Void trilogy.

The idea is that, at the heart of the galaxy, lies this void in which the governing laws are quite different. Humans have psychic abilities, but machines don't work too well. And humans can "reset" back to a previous point at will.

The problem is that this r
Andy
You know how some authors seem to finish a book properly?

Damn, Hamilton knows how to end a book and a series. I realized this as my anticipation grew as I neared the end of this one. Made me look back across all his titles I have read and remember that they all pack a punch. This one had me on the edge of my seat.

Finishing up the Void series, Hamilton once again reaffirmed my belief that he is in the top of the class of HiTech Sci-Fi. A truly epic story in three parts, each delivers the goods.

Wh
Brendan
After not liking the first two books in the Void trilogy that much, I finally made it to this one. I'm a huge fan of Hamilton, and his work on the Commonwealth Saga, Night's Dawn, and Fallen Dragon is what convinced me to pick up The Dreaming Void in the first place. It was ok, but I felt not quite up to par for him. The second book felt even worse: nothing got resolved, and too many pages spent in the fantasy realm.

But this, this was worth going through those two for. I flew through this book.
Clay
Peter F. Hamilton is not for the faint of heart -- or the short of memory. His massive books are complexly plotted, and refer back to previous, and equally massive, books without any hint of compassion for a reader who might not have spent the last few years grimly memorizing every detail of his work.

To sum up, "The Evolutionary Void" (Del Rey, $28, 694 pages) concludes the trilogy that began with "The Dreaming Void" (608 pages) and moved through "The Temporal Void" (736 pages) -- and actually b
Andrew
This is the final installment of the Void Trilogy, the previous two of which are The Dreaming Void and The Temporal Void. I have felt that in his previous series the last books were always a bit of a let down after the exciting build up, but thankfully this novel seems to change that. Peter Hamilton seems to be learning how to be a much better writer in terms of pacing at least.

The series is set in the same Commonwealth universe as the Starflyer series, but about 1000 years further ahead in time
Zaphoddent
I finished this only because I'd already invested so much time in the earlier books. Edeard's story just gets more tiresome and mundane the deeper you get. In fact it becomes positively idiotic. It feels like a complete regression into some archaic world where people have 'evolved' into some medieval culture complete with inane conversations. Worse still, is the fact that there is no character development for anyone except Edeard in the void. They are just a bunch of appendages without any opini ...more
Forrest
Okay, I’m not sure if I wasn’t paying attention to book two, but The Evolutionary Void definitely jumped the tracks a bit and careened off into the nebulous science fantasy genre. Not that there’s anything fundamentally wrong with science fantasy, but the effect is sort of like going to a Star Trek convention, passing out on the last day and waking up to the cosplay contest of an anime con. Not unpleasant per se, but definitely disconcerting.

Where book two, The Temporal Void, was mostly about th
Anton
Peter F. Hamilton doesn't write trilogies. Or duologies, or anything like that. He writes 2000-5000-page books that then get split up by the publisher. Therefore, this is basically a rating/review for the whole Void series.

My biggest problem with the Void trilogy was the story of Edeard. It did nothing for me. I hated him, I didn't like his world, I didn't like his story. I wanted to get back to the Commonwealth. This is the reason I enjoyed The Evolutionary Void a bit more than the other two b
Robert
Some science fiction takes you to the future through new ideas or technology. Peter F. Hamilton physically drags you there through actual time. I started reading him last century and have just surfaced from the conclusion of the Void trilogy in actual honest to goodness 2010. I hope he takes some time off. I could use couple of years to catch up on some other books.

The Void trilogy is set in the same universe as his Commonwealth Saga and Misspent Youth, set over a millennium later although there
Charlotte
A couple of Inigo's dreams were too long. I also found it hard to believe that a whole religion built up around those dreams - what was there really to love so much about that world? In the end it seems all there is is the reset function to sell that world over any other, which as an ideology is overwhelming selfish. I can certainly see why people like Ethan would go for it, but why did Inigo hang in there until the last dream? He appears to be a better person than that.
Nevertheless, a compellin
travelgirlut
So I spent the second book in this trilogy wishing for more of Edeard's story and less of everyone else. This book was the opposite. Every time another of Inigo's dreams came up, I kind of groaned inwardly. There's only so much repeated life a reader can handle! I do like how everything pulled together in the end. Lots of random facts and knowledge that I thought was pointless earlier in the series turned out to be quite purposeful. Though I didn't necessarily like it all handed to me on a golde ...more
Abdulaziz Hasan
An epic ending to PFH Void Saga, and personally my favorite one. Many mysteries were finally explained, The Void, The factions, the personal agendas and the ending of the universe.
While The dreaming void was to introduce the characters, and the temporary void was diving into Makathran and Edeard life, the evolutionary void focus on the commonwealth actions to stop the danger they are facing (don't want to spoil this).

The ending wasn't predicted but i feel that it wasn't that good for the serio
Sal Coraccio
So - this series - wonderful in the true sense of the word.

If you've read any of the Commonwealth Saga books by Hamilton then you'll want to read these books. If you haven't - I'd suggest reading them first. You'll be fine if you don't, but you'll have some spoilers if you do it the other way around, and pieces of this series won't quite make sense - though Hamilton does take some wordcount to explain things.

The gist of the series is that there is a section of the galaxy, called The Void - it is
Linda
In my last review of a Void book I mentioned that the technology was approaching magic in the sense of Clarke's "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." That trend continued and even accelerated in the final book. Exotic matter was the source of magic and with enough hand waving made even the most amazing feats possible.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed the book and the series, but when you make a series as epic as this, it can be hard to end it in a satisfying way.
  • Absolution Gap (Revelation Space, #3)
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • Surface Detail (Culture, #9)
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...
Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1) The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1) Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga, #2) The Dreaming Void (Void, #1) The Temporal Void (Void, #2)

“That’s a huge gamble.” “We’re long past the time for careful certainty.” 0 likes
“They would have thought me mad, even Kristabel. Flying carriages. People who live forever. Hundreds of inhabited worlds. Machine servants instead of genistars. Cities where Makkathran would be naught but a small district. A civilization where justice was available to all. Aliens. More stars in the sky than it is possible to count. No, such marvels of my fevered imagination were best kept inside my skull.” 0 likes