Start by marking “Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!” as Want to Read:
Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

The host of All Things Southern shares the sass and strength of Southern mamas in this spunky guide to life.

In this humorous handbook, Shellie Rushing Tomlinson, host of All Things Southern, reveals the all-important lessons Southern Mamas teach their daughters. Readers will discover why blue eye shadow is trashy and learn to interpret regional dialect like the Southern Ma
Published May 6th 2008 by Penguin Group US (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

Lori
May 06, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was really interesting to see how my raising and experiences have coincided with hers. I now know that I've had a truly Southern raising. I also loved the recipes that are included throughout this book. I can't wait to try them all. I've tracked down her website and it's a lot of fun to go to as well.
Kitty Tomlinson
Hilarious take on Southern life--especially in Louisiana. Laugh out loud funny. I’m going to buy this book.
Elizabeth
I loved this book!

The Southern culture was portrayed in a funny and meaningful way. I laughed out loud many times throughout this book, sometimes because of what happened, but more often because of how it was written. I bookmarked many pages to return to because they made me laugh or contained pearls of wisdom. The recipes that concluded each chapter were a fun addition. I even loved reading them through to see how the directions were worded.

I would recommend this book to women. All women. At
Jenn
May 15, 2008 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2008
This book failed to interest me after a few chapters, and I ended up just skimming to the end. I was expecting to learn something new, but all the Southern Mom advice was the same stuff I heard growing up in a family whose roots were established in Ohio over two hundred years ago. There was a tone in the writing that implied that all things Southern are better than elsewhere that really turned me off. If the book had been marketed as a book of universal motherly advice, I don't think I would hav ...more
Emily
This book was annoying and underwhelming. That's not a good combination. The whole Southern thing is just so overdone-I really felt like I heard all the same jokes and stereotypes before. And I hate to tell the author-but I have absolutely no Southern roots (except the pretend ones because of my two years in VA) and I got ALL the same advice and direction growing up. So it really is just a tribute to good parenting-rather than southern parenting.

But I did like the title because the chapter with
Susan
May 14, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this book, but I had a hard time staying interested in the stories--the same stories, jokes and anecdotes I've read a hundred times before.

I love Southern humor so I went into this book expecting the likes of Jill Connor Browne or Celia Rivenbark, which this wasn't. However it's entirely possible that had I read this closer to its release date and not several years later--after I've read many other Southern humor books--maybe I wouldn't have felt that the book was played
Summer
This is a funny book. I enjoyed and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. Most of the advice or rather how she was raised was how I was raised. I guess there is some "Southern" in me! Really I just think that the South has held onto the manners and dignity of a time that has gone by and now has unfortunately warped into all for yourself era instead all for one.

Betsy
Mar 28, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. I was expecting a lot more of the quirky southern-isms (like dancing with a broom at your younger sibling's wedding). Many of her observations were not uniquely southern.
Sylvia Tarraran
Mar 21, 2017 Sylvia Tarraran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this - particularly the Southern culture feel and recipes throughout. It was a fun read.
Jessie Frederick
May 01, 2016 Jessie Frederick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-to-2014
I picked up Suck Your Stomach In & Put Some Color On at a little shop on Amelia Island, Florida back in March when I visited with my mom. It's a carefree book about all things southern. It has a light-hearted feel with a deep south touch that only southern women can do. It's not a story though, so don't expect a main character or plot or anything like that. Instead, expect memories from the author's life all about her Southern Mama. From childhood to love and marriage to manners and social g ...more
Mikki Ibarra
I enjoyed it. It was simply written, had amusing little quips in it from various Southern women, but I did have one issue with it. Most of the Southern women that I have known have not been so fundamentalist as Mrs. Tomlinson. Perhaps she was exaggerating her viewpoints but most of the Southerners that I have known have been open minded about things that she stated were fundamentally opposite Southern "values" and I felt as if she was making blanket statements about her own family rather than "S ...more
Pat
Nov 15, 2015 Pat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-time, no
This book is a very sweet tribute to the author's mother. But that does not make it a good book. This is the type of book one self-publishes for one's family, local church, or local history society...the people who actually know the author or her Mama.

The Mama stories and quotes are nothing new or startling. They're not even particularly humorous or southern. Honestly, I love southern lit but this doesn't even come close to doing the genre justice. Take "Southern" out of the title and see if yo
Brenda
Apr 15, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book on Southern manners and culture. My husband takes frequent business trips to NC and I go along sometimes. I was so pleasantly surprised by the gracious manners used in that state, (and presumably most of the southern states). It's nice to be in a place where people actually know manners and USE them. There is a lot of good humor in this book and Shellie is kind of a female Jeff Foxworthy. She also has a radio show and a blog.

I am not sure I agree with the manners all being so
Phyllis Barlow
Jan 13, 2015 Phyllis Barlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!!!!!!!!!!! Being a Southern Mama myself, I could totally relate. Some of the things were absolutely hysterical (good thing I was alone because my family would have worried about my sanity.) And I loved that she included recipes. A lot of them I already knew (see part about being a Southern Mama) but a lot of new cooks don't know them, and I was THRILLLLLLLLLED to see she included a recipe for Potato Candy. Now I can tell my friends I'm not crazy, it really is A THING. If you l ...more
Sky
Jul 23, 2014 Sky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the quotes from the Southern women from around my neck of the woods. I thought this book would be a lot better than it was. I am from Louisiana and have lots of family down south, so I thought this book would sort of resemble what my family taught me. It was nothing like that. We are not really like that down here. My family talks very openly about lots of things, and this book makes it sound like we are a bunch of prudes. It was also not very funny in my opinion, although it seemed like ...more
Alicia
May 10, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay - entertaining enough to continue reading, but nothing groundbreaking. I thought the author told stories in a funny way, but the anecdotes were similar to what I've read in other "southern raised" books. Content-wise, I found quite a bit of the "southern" advice being the same advice I got from my mother having grown up in the Northeast, so it seemed less about geography and more about just general child-rearing. Either way, it was a fun pool read, and perhaps southerners woul ...more
Marsha
Sep 18, 2012 Marsha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was ready to LAUGH OUT LOUD at this book....and it just wasn't as funny as I wanted it to be. It did have some humorous places and definitely was accurate about how being a female in the South is...and explained a few things to me that I have seen growing up...like the "tombstone twitch", the importance of writing prompt and important thank you notes, and why you cut both ends off a ham before you cook it.
Jul 15, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. The guidance was nothing new. Cute quotes from All Things Southern readers/listeners, but all of the rest of the info was nothing different/better than what I've already learned from my mom, grandmother or aunts. All of the recipes are either in my head, in my recipe book (directly from my grandmother's archives) or available at SouthernLiving.com. Cute title, but I was expecting more.
Jennie
Jul 07, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Annette, Rebecca, Mom
Y'all, I loved this book. It's my new parenting guide. I've made no secret that I wish I was a natural born Southern girl. I do have to say that so many things in this book reminded me of my Gran and even my Mom. I think this stuff just gets in your DNA and you can't get it out.
The recipes are fun, but the stories are better. The world would be a better place, I think, if we all would just adopt the niceties that exist in the South. And the food. Heavens, yes, the food!
Ginger
May 28, 2013 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone wanting a fun but true to life book of Southern ladies being brought up.
Recommended to Ginger by: Emily Cooley
Shelves: southern, humor
Mrs. Tomlinson brings to life a true life story of how our Southern phrases we are taught as "little ladies" come around. As you read it you can hear your mother, grandmother, or aunts say it. It can be quite humorous. Of course I am a sucker for Southern based books. I also enjoyed the recipes that were related to the content of each chapter. I can't wait to try some of these I haven't had before. I look forward to reading her next book.
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
I read this book at my Mema's house in Waycross, GA - just about as far South as you can be without being in Florida. Reading it on a trip there with my Mama and her Mama was perfect! So cute and funny and I could literally hear their voices saying the same things that were being said in the book - every once in a while I'd read a passage about something that my Southern Mamas had just talked about!
Lilia
Feb 22, 2015 Lilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: being-southern
It's been awhile since I read this (it's 2015 now) but I remember laughing that much of the advice was what I heard from my way-down-south Peruvian mom who insisted that I know how to act like a lady (whether I always remembered is debatable). But I knew. And really, I wish more girls were taught these things today.
Deirdre Chatham
Oct 06, 2011 Deirdre Chatham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister gave me this book and I read / laughed til I cried my way through it in one sitting. Child, rest! Heifer, hush! Shellie tells my story as she shares hers. I need to hint up my tube of stop-light red lipstick because Mamma says, "Even a barn door looks better with a little paint on it."
Tammy
Feb 18, 2014 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some funny stories. I may even try a few of the recipes. However, I could not relate in any way to the conservative, fundamental and close-minded "values" that Tomlinson equates to Southernism. After the first couple chapters, the book feels extremely repetitive and I forced myself to skim to the end as to "finish" the book.
Denise Jo
Oh my gosh. This book was hilarious, and I could see so many of things in people I know. myself included. It was an added bonus that the end of each chapter has a few recipes, but the family story will keep you laughing as your reading it, and then when you least expect it, a passage will pop in your head and your going to start laughing about it. Well, at least I did....
Michelle
Apr 21, 2013 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not particularly impressed by this book. I have a Yankee Momma, but have a southern Daddy and have lived most of my life in the South. I didn't find anything that I didn't already know. There were some amusing anecdotes and quotes, but I don't think that this was all that enlightening. If I could do it again, knowing what I know now, I would have rather borrowed it from the library.
Whitney
Mar 27, 2012 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am new to the world of allthingssouthern.com but Mrs. Tomlinson won me over! She was witty and many of her stories rung true to my other Southern mommma's raising ways (her words). I think a lot of women would get a good laugh out of this book, tear up a little at the sweet parts, and share it with a friend!
Kel
Sep 16, 2009 Kel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I think there must be a Southern Mama somewhere in my Mom's family. I heard a lot of the words of wisdom imparted by Ms. Tomlinson's Mama when I was growing up. Although I sometimes thought the author lost track of a story and never caught up again, overall I really got a kick out of this book. The recipes look great too.
Sharon Goss
Apr 17, 2012 Sharon Goss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book about mother-daughter relationships. Especially funny when you recognize yourself both as a child and as a mother in the story line. Considered a "southern" story, but you will find that the "south" goes north of the Mason Dixon line when it comes to mother-daughter relationships. Recipes are included.
Bethany Stewart
Jan 09, 2015 Bethany Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read. It was interesting for this northern girl to see how much of our up bringing was the same. The chapter on manners everyone should read and remember. I really enjoyed her discussing hospitality. I think up north this is a lost art. Each chapter ends with southern recipes. I am looking forward to trying several of them.
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live By
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena
  • Swag: Southern Women Aging Gracefully
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit
  • What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work
  • The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • Southern Ladies and Gentlemen
  • Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder
As an infant, Shellie Rushing Tomlinson had one of the earliest cases of appendicitis ever documented. Subsequently, fifty-four doctors came to Natchez, MS to study her case. In retrospect, Shellie believes it may have been better had they studied her brain. Shellie is willing to admit it. She hears voices. After briefly considering medication she has instead chosen a career in storytelling to all ...more
More about Shellie Rushing Tomlinson...