Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  87 reviews
The host of All Things Southern shares the sass and strength of Southern mamas in this spunky guide to life.

In this humorous handbook, Shellie Rushing Tomlinson, host of All Things Southern, reveals the all-important lessons Southern Mamas teach their daughters. Readers will discover why blue eye shadow is trashy and learn to interpret regional dialect like the Southern Ma...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Penguin Group US (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color on!

Lori
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was really interesting to see how my raising and experiences have coincided with hers. I now know that I've had a truly Southern raising. I also loved the recipes that are included throughout this book. I can't wait to try them all. I've tracked down her website and it's a lot of fun to go to as well.
Lauren (Likes Literature)
I hate the south sometimes. (I live in NC, so don't take that the wrong way.)

Slut shaming and casual sexism right in the subtitle? check!

Also, according to the synopsis, blue eyshadow is trashy.

I guess I've been doing makeup wrong all these years. Huh.
Emily
This book was annoying and underwhelming. That's not a good combination. The whole Southern thing is just so overdone-I really felt like I heard all the same jokes and stereotypes before. And I hate to tell the author-but I have absolutely no Southern roots (except the pretend ones because of my two years in VA) and I got ALL the same advice and direction growing up. So it really is just a tribute to good parenting-rather than southern parenting.

But I did like the title because the chapter with...more
Susan
I really wanted to love this book, but I had a hard time staying interested in the stories--the same stories, jokes and anecdotes I've read a hundred times before.

I love Southern humor so I went into this book expecting the likes of Jill Connor Browne or Celia Rivenbark, which this wasn't. However it's entirely possible that had I read this closer to its release date and not several years later--after I've read many other Southern humor books--maybe I wouldn't have felt that the book was played...more
Jenn
This book failed to interest me after a few chapters, and I ended up just skimming to the end. I was expecting to learn something new, but all the Southern Mom advice was the same stuff I heard growing up in a family whose roots were established in Ohio over two hundred years ago. There was a tone in the writing that implied that all things Southern are better than elsewhere that really turned me off. If the book had been marketed as a book of universal motherly advice, I don't think I would hav...more
Summer
This is a funny book. I enjoyed and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. Most of the advice or rather how she was raised was how I was raised. I guess there is some "Southern" in me! Really I just think that the South has held onto the manners and dignity of a time that has gone by and now has unfortunately warped into all for yourself era instead all for one.

Betsy
It was okay. I was expecting a lot more of the quirky southern-isms (like dancing with a broom at your younger sibling's wedding). Many of her observations were not uniquely southern.
Kitty Tomlinson
Hilarious take on Southern life--especially in Louisiana. Laugh out loud funny. I’m going to buy this book.
Mikki Ibarra
I enjoyed it. It was simply written, had amusing little quips in it from various Southern women, but I did have one issue with it. Most of the Southern women that I have known have not been so fundamentalist as Mrs. Tomlinson. Perhaps she was exaggerating her viewpoints but most of the Southerners that I have known have been open minded about things that she stated were fundamentally opposite Southern "values" and I felt as if she was making blanket statements about her own family rather than "S...more
Elizabeth
I loved this book!

The Southern culture was portrayed in a funny and meaningful way. I laughed out loud many times throughout this book, sometimes because of what happened, but more often because of how it was written. I bookmarked many pages to return to because they made me laugh or contained pearls of wisdom. The recipes that concluded each chapter were a fun addition. I even loved reading them through to see how the directions were worded.

I would recommend this book to women. All women. At...more
Alicia
This book was okay - entertaining enough to continue reading, but nothing groundbreaking. I thought the author told stories in a funny way, but the anecdotes were similar to what I've read in other "southern raised" books. Content-wise, I found quite a bit of the "southern" advice being the same advice I got from my mother having grown up in the Northeast, so it seemed less about geography and more about just general child-rearing. Either way, it was a fun pool read, and perhaps southerners woul...more
Stacie Eagles
This is a hilarious book, especially if you were raised in the south! Full of laughs and truths from southern women!
Nicole
Liked this for my own memories of my southern grandma! Great book for mothers
Brea
A spring break buy! Thought the quotes were funny!
Tammy
There were some funny stories. I may even try a few of the recipes. However, I could not relate in any way to the conservative, fundamental and close-minded "values" that Tomlinson equates to Southernism. After the first couple chapters, the book feels extremely repetitive and I forced myself to skim to the end as to "finish" the book.
Jennie
Jul 11, 2008 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Annette, Rebecca, Mom
Y'all, I loved this book. It's my new parenting guide. I've made no secret that I wish I was a natural born Southern girl. I do have to say that so many things in this book reminded me of my Gran and even my Mom. I think this stuff just gets in your DNA and you can't get it out.
The recipes are fun, but the stories are better. The world would be a better place, I think, if we all would just adopt the niceties that exist in the South. And the food. Heavens, yes, the food!
Paula Shulse
A little light reading in between my Fitzgerald books. I like it.
Ginger
Oct 14, 2013 Ginger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone wanting a fun but true to life book of Southern ladies being brought up.
Recommended to Ginger by: Emily Cooley
Shelves: humor, southern
Mrs. Tomlinson brings to life a true life story of how our Southern phrases we are taught as "little ladies" come around. As you read it you can hear your mother, grandmother, or aunts say it. It can be quite humorous. Of course I am a sucker for Southern based books. I also enjoyed the recipes that were related to the content of each chapter. I can't wait to try some of these I haven't had before. I look forward to reading her next book.
Marsha
I was ready to LAUGH OUT LOUD at this book....and it just wasn't as funny as I wanted it to be. It did have some humorous places and definitely was accurate about how being a female in the South is...and explained a few things to me that I have seen growing up...like the "tombstone twitch", the importance of writing prompt and important thank you notes, and why you cut both ends off a ham before you cook it.
Disappointing. The guidance was nothing new. Cute quotes from All Things Southern readers/listeners, but all of the rest of the info was nothing different/better than what I've already learned from my mom, grandmother or aunts. All of the recipes are either in my head, in my recipe book (directly from my grandmother's archives) or available at SouthernLiving.com. Cute title, but I was expecting more.
Julie (julie37619)
I read this book at my Mema's house in Waycross, GA - just about as far South as you can be without being in Florida. Reading it on a trip there with my Mama and her Mama was perfect! So cute and funny and I could literally hear their voices saying the same things that were being said in the book - every once in a while I'd read a passage about something that my Southern Mamas had just talked about!
Michelle
I was not particularly impressed by this book. I have a Yankee Momma, but have a southern Daddy and have lived most of my life in the South. I didn't find anything that I didn't already know. There were some amusing anecdotes and quotes, but I don't think that this was all that enlightening. If I could do it again, knowing what I know now, I would have rather borrowed it from the library.
Denise Jo
Oh my gosh. This book was hilarious, and I could see so many of things in people I know. myself included. It was an added bonus that the end of each chapter has a few recipes, but the family story will keep you laughing as your reading it, and then when you least expect it, a passage will pop in your head and your going to start laughing about it. Well, at least I did....
Holly
I love this book! It is hilarious! It definitely has some good points. Here is one of my favorite tidbits: There will always be people we can't get along with no matter how hard we try. With these people we are to pass and repass which means to speak and move on when you see them but don't look or expect anything else.... Very fitting. ;)
Kel
I think there must be a Southern Mama somewhere in my Mom's family. I heard a lot of the words of wisdom imparted by Ms. Tomlinson's Mama when I was growing up. Although I sometimes thought the author lost track of a story and never caught up again, overall I really got a kick out of this book. The recipes look great too.
Whitney
I am new to the world of allthingssouthern.com but Mrs. Tomlinson won me over! She was witty and many of her stories rung true to my other Southern mommma's raising ways (her words). I think a lot of women would get a good laugh out of this book, tear up a little at the sweet parts, and share it with a friend!
Sharon Goss
Good book about mother-daughter relationships. Especially funny when you recognize yourself both as a child and as a mother in the story line. Considered a "southern" story, but you will find that the "south" goes north of the Mason Dixon line when it comes to mother-daughter relationships. Recipes are included.
Deirdre Chatham
My sister gave me this book and I read / laughed til I cried my way through it in one sitting. Child, rest! Heifer, hush! Shellie tells my story as she shares hers. I need to hint up my tube of stop-light red lipstick because Mamma says, "Even a barn door looks better with a little paint on it."
Sandra
This book is a sweet reminder of all those southern sayings that my mother and other family members used to say. Many of them still hold true today. Adding to the wit & wisdom is the inclusion of southern recipes. Definitely not a read for those without an appreciative of southern fiction.
Renee Baker
geez..I haven't finished this book..the chapter on child-rearing and spanking and some of the other stuff that I suppose is "southern" but highly politically incorrect turned me off. There were some amusing anecdotes and chapters, but I probably won't finish it cover to cover.
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work
  • Southern Ladies and Gentlemen
  • The Southerner's Handbook: A Guide to Living the Good Life
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • Gay Men Don't Get Fat
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • The Debutante
  • What Do You Do All Day?
As an infant, Shellie Rushing Tomlinson had one of the earliest cases of appendicitis ever documented. Subsequently, fifty-four doctors came to Natchez, MS to study her case. In retrospect, Shellie believes it may have been better had they studied her brain. Shellie is willing to admit it. She hears voices. After briefly considering medication she has instead chosen a career in storytelling to all...more
More about Shellie Rushing Tomlinson...
Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind Heart Wide Open: Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus Lessons Learned on Bull Run Road Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On! Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy 6-copy solid counterunit