Start by marking “Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 [With Earbuds]” as Want to Read:
Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 [With Earbuds]

Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 [With Earbuds] (Summerhill Secrets)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,044 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Set in rural Pennsylvania's Amish country, SummerHill Secrets follows the true-to-life struggles and heartfelt triumphs of fourteen-year-old Merry Hanson. Preteen girls will come to love, laugh, and cry with the impulsive Merry as she encounters intriguing mysteries while also struggling to be the best she can be in God's eyes. Volume One includes the original titles Whis...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Christian Audio (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 [With Earbuds], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 [With Earbuds]

Chrissy
I picked this book up because I was surprised to see that Beverly Lewis had written a YA series. Although I read the book in a week's time, I have to offer one criticism of Lewis' work. She writes a detailed, somewhat rich narrative up until the last 20 pages of each story. Then she rushes to the end, even offering an epilogue in some cases. I would have enjoyed the book more had she seen her hard work through until the end, rather than cobble together the climax and denouement.
Tabitha
I'm going to have to give this a five star. I LOVED THIS BOOK! One thing that I really liked about it was that it had no profanity. Being a Christian, its hard to find books that are clean. This one was just my type! I recommend this to any teenage girl or even young adults! IT WAS SO SO GOOD! I couldn't put it down. Although it was a thick book, I read it fairly quickly. I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series!
Debbie
A friend of mine loves Beverly Lewis' books and leant me two. This novel is very Christian-oriented and aimed at young adolescent readers. The main character, Merry Hanson, goes from being extremely mature about God and respectful of the differing beliefs of the local Amish population, to ridiculously melodramatic, moody, and secretive. The story is a bit unbelievable at times, but maybe I've forgotten what it's like to be 15!
ladyliz
I loved this book, Beverly Lewis is a wonderful author. If you enjoy reading about the Amish as I much as I do, you will LOVE this book. Whispers Down the Lane is about a girl named Merry and her school friends and how she helps them through problems with life. She is also a very good photographer. Secret in the Willows involves her Amish neighbors and someone who is vandalizing the neighbors place. She is determined to find out who did and clear her friend. Catch a Falling Star is when Merry fi...more
Summer Hill Secrets

This was a very good book once again by Beverly Lewis. At first I thought it was only one book but to my dismay this book has four different books all of course of the same characters. As always the author keeps u guessing what will happen. I wish that Beverly Lewis would give a final ending to this book. I wonder if the characters will marry. what does the future hold. u are left with your own thoughts of how things will end. everyone will enjoy reading this series.
Grace
I LOVED this series!!! These books have a mystery/love theme throughout them and are just amazing. I also did a review on my YouTube channel (GirlyGrace103) because they are a must have read for any teenage girl. And it talks about the challenges of being a teen in today's world. I could really relate to these characters as understood their pain and joy! Such an amazing book<3
Rachel
This was better than I thought it would be. I really got to like Merry and all the other characters. The only this I didn't like was her attitude toward Lissa, when she was dating Jon and even a bit after they broke up. Other than that I liked it and can't wait to see what happens in Volume 2. And I am totally shipping Levi and Merry!
Jaime Aleshire
I really enjoyed this book. i love the closeness of the neighbors. after all we are to love our neighbors. I love how you can see a clear contrast between the amish way of living and the english way. I enjoyed each challenge that merry hanson had to face and how she put her trust in God each time. I love her strength she had after losing her twin sister. she did not let that hold her back in life she kept plunging forward. although she missed her sister she kept her close in her heart everyday a...more
Jeanette
I really liked these books, they were easy to read,and had nothing too terrible, making them good for younger girls, but interesting enough that an older girl, say teenage, would still enjoy them. Very entertaining.
Haley
I normally like Beverly Lewis, but I really didn't care much for her main character in this series. I felt she was selfish and finicky. I think Lewis should stick to writing her Amish characters, rather than English ones.
Lexi
This book was awesome. merry Hanson has some real problems that people have but instead of mopping she turns to God! This book shows that believing and praying works and makes a difference. I also like the wide variety of characters that are all friends. I recommend this book to any christian looking for something inspiring!
Katy
I got this and the second set when I was young, about 10ish, I think. :) I just re-read them recently, so I thought I'd give my thoughts.
I loved them, I really did. Vol. 1 was my favorite, mostly because I loved Merry and her Amish neighbors (especially the cute one, Levi) and the adventures they had. I loved the alliteration aspect. At that age I became obsessed with it too. I was pretty bad at it however... I'm glad it wore off.
However, as I get older I'm liking it less. You know though, it's...more
Madeira
This book was pretty good. Merry is a funny character. Her boy problems are a bit of a caricature.The books wrap up to fast. But generally a sweet, light story about a non-amish schoolgirl and her trials and tribulations.
Elizabeth
I got this book from my mother-in-law, I don't know if she's trying to tell me something lol. Actually I don't normally read christian fiction and the stuff I do read is normally intense like Frank Peretti but I actually enjoyed these short little novels but I gotta be honest and say it's probably because it's about Amish people and I have this weird fascination with them however my secret is safe since they won't be reading this. If you like chipper books with a little romance and don't mind re...more
Bekah
So- this was okay (I only read the first two books). The stories are aptly named with "secrets" in the title. Each story starts with "I have to tell you something but promise not to tell anyone". This tactic of creating suspense for a story drives me crazy. I just keep thinking the whole time- if you would just talk to someone all this hooplah wouldn't exist. :) Also- the wrap up of the stories are bit too tidy and unrealistic for me as well. Clean christian fiction for teen girls though. :)
Balletprincess
I loved these books and started reading the second collection of books right after finishing this one not sure of the exact date I finished it though, I checked both collections from the libaray.

I really like some of the quotes and how there are bible verses mentioned, and Merry's prayers.

Really great books for christian teens and young adults, it might not be as exciting as some other christian books, like the ones set in modern day, but it's really good.

Cayli Newton
It was good! Just kinda slow for me!
Darlene Roy
This book had 5 short stories about Merry and friends. I loved the way one story kind of led into the next one. I enjoyed each story and have ordered Summerhill Secrets Volume 2. Looking forward to a continuation of the stories. I recommend this as a Great read.
Andrea
Apr 10, 2008 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Shelves: young-adult, 2008
This book was five books in one. I made it through the first book and was halfway through the second. It is a young adult read and wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention as an adult, but I would thing that it would be terribly informational on the Amish lifestyle to a young adult. It is predicatable and simply written.
Started:3/10/08
Finished:3/22/08
560 pps read about 220 pages
Judith
I always love to read the uplifting stories by Beverly Lewis. They are light reading but yet with a deep meaning. I am not a teenager but a great-grandmother but I still like the stories of life and love. Guess I have to get Vol. 2 to finish the story.
AlixJamie
Susan
Enjoyed this story as I have all of Beverly Lewis books. Any time I read a novel about the Pennsylvania Amish country, I fall in love with the area and the people, all over again. I have visited this area many times, and Beverly Lewis brings her story alive with her well written descriptions and depictions. I love this author anyway, so I am biased.
Desiree
I like this book for a younger readers, not for adults. You might say "but it was intended for young readers!" (which it was), but I absolutely LOVE "Matilda" and that is intended for children as well. However, I will definitely still reccommend/save this book for my daughter when she is older. From a young readers point of view I would rate four stars.
Amy
I didn't realize this was a YA book until I read other reviews, even though I was thinking it the entire time. I love reading amish stories and this one was from the perspective of a young English girl. I did not like the epilogue page for each book at the end. Why not just finish the story instead of summing them up?
Mylinda
I love all of the info about the Amish but I'm starting to think Mrs. Lewis is not the best author in town. I do like the stories though. This one is about a teenage girl and I wanted to read it to see if it is something I would like my girls to read and they might enjoy. I think the answer to both of those questions is yes.
Marty
Mixed review on this book - very interested in the information on Amish and Mennonite cultures which is why I read it in the first place. Somewhat simplistic writing style. Easy read - but didn't keep me awake reading at night. I will probably read Volume 2, mainly because someone gave both to me!
Stephanie Hanes
I borrowed this book from my younger sister not realizing it was a teen novel, but was quickly drawn into the character's lives. I can't wait to share this series with my daughter, because Beverly Lewis does an amazing job of sharing the redemption story through the eyes of a teenage girl.
Courtney Marie W
These were great! It's about a 15 girl (that turns 16 in the sequel) in Amish country who has 2 guys fall for her and she tried to sort out her own feelings. It has some mystery type problems that she helps her friends figure out. She goes to public school and witnesses.
  • Going Home (Brides of Webster County,#1)
  • An Amish Gathering: Life in Lancaster County
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best...more
More about Beverly Lewis...
The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)