Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)

Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers #1)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It is 1916. Bartholomew Bandy, fourth-year medical student, decides that it is time to join the War. The prim young Canadian expects that he will have few problems remaining clean and virtuous. But he is aware that his bland, horse-like face drives people crazy, and that he has a certain tendency to be accident-prone. How will the war affect him, and vice versa? The realit...more
Published August 28th 2001 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 1962)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueSebastian by Christoph FischerA Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwayThe Regeneration Trilogy by Pat BarkerBirds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières
WWI Historical Fiction
31st out of 132 books — 87 voters
Catch-22 by Joseph HellerAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwaySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutThe Luck of the Weissensteiners by Christoph Fischer
Best War Novels
338th out of 493 books — 460 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Undeservedly obscure, this book kicks off the series of novels that follow Bartholomew Bandy and his military exploits from WWI through WWII. The stolid and cheerful Bandy, son of a rural Canadian pastor, finds himself shipped off to Europe to serve in the infantry, armed with much advice about protecting his feet and strict parental commands to abstain from alcohol, tobacco and sex. He promises to do so. He tries to keep his promises, but he fails through a series of accidents or through the ge...more
Lynn Dove
Quirky, laugh out loud exploits of one of the most endearing, bumbling characters I have ever come across in a book. He is Mr. Bean, all three of the "Stooges" and Red Skelton rolled into one! He is also Canadian! Great Read!
B Sausser
I've read and thoroughly enjoyed this book several times over the past forty years. It's like a visit with an old friend.
Gabriele Wills
A clever and hilarious look at World War 1 that is, at the same time, filled with facts. Bartholomew Bandy is an unlikely but delightful and unforgettable "hero". Not as side-splitting as the second book in the series, it is still laugh-out-loud funny.
Serena
I probably would have given it 3 stars, had it not been a Canadian book. Being Canadian automatically gets you an extra star. Good book. Will probably read the rest of the Bandy Papers books.
Cheryl Cowtan
I read this book when I was a rebellious teenager who was too cool for school. BUT I wasn't too cool for this book. It was hilarious! A definite re-read for the future.
Alix
Fantastic. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this author before. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series ASAP.
Michael
Okay. Maybe I'm cheating but it is still good to go back and re-read a classic. And this is one.
Nancy
Reading Terry Fallis reminds me of Donald Jack wonderfully funny Bandy Papers series.
Trinette
Very funny book. Loved that it was a story of a Canadian during WW1.
Orla Hegarty
Anyone that can make WWI funny has talent. Many lol moments.
Nancy
A hoot. It probably helps to have an interest in/knowledge of WWI.
Paul Daly
Paul Daly marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Simon Vince
Simon Vince marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Terry Johns
Terry Johns marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Mike Noga
Mike Noga marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New edition - Three Cheers For Me 2 11 Jan 25, 2014 04:23PM
Novelist, playwright, and scriptwriter. Best known for his "Bandy Papers" novels about WWI ace Bartholomew Bandy, which won Jack the Leacock award three times for volumes of the series. Also penned the first modern play performed at the Stratford Festival of Canada, and wrote numerous scripts for television and radio.
More about Donald Jack...
That's Me in the Middle (The Bandy Papers, #2) It's Me Again (The Bandy Papers, #3) Me Bandy, You Cissie (The Bandy Papers, #4) Me Too (The Bandy Papers, #5) This One's on Me (The Bandy Papers, #6)