Start by marking “Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth” as Want to Read:
Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth

Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth (Coffee House Chronicles)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  20 reviews
With over 40 million books sold, bestselling author Josh McDowell is no stranger to creatively presenting biblical truth. Now, partnering with fellow apologist Dave Sterrett, Josh introduces a new series targeted at the intersection of story and truth.

The Coffee House Chronicles are short, easily devoured novellas aimed at answering prevalent spiritual questions. Each book
Published December 17th 2010 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Is the Bible True . . . Really?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is the Bible True . . . Really?

Chris
May 10, 2014 Chris added it
Shelves: theology, scriptures
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly;..." - Articles of Faith, verse 8a

"Here are the facts that scholars all across the country agree upon. We don't even have the original words that these fundamentalist Christians tell us God inerrantly inspired. That's right. All we have are the words copied by scribes - sometimes correctly, but certainly not always. We have error-ridden copies that are centuries removed from the originals and different from them in
Christofer Boeyink
This was a pretty good, readable, introduction to issues of Biblical reliability. I really appreciated the beginning - it is a great apologetic for why Campus ministry is so vitally important to our faith.
Robert Justice
One of the three books in the "Coffee House Chronicles" series.
Presented as a narrative dialogue between a group of college students and a couple of disagreeing professors, the two authors address the issue of the Bible' historical reliability from a Christian perspective.
How do we know that the Bible we have now is the Bible that was originally written so many centuries ago?
How do you reconcile the fact that there are so many variances in the wording between documents of the biblical books?
Bill Stegemueller
Josh McDowell and Dave Strerrett hit the ball out of the park in their book, “Is the Bible True… Really?” The book is part of their Coffee House Chronicles which is a series that seeks to foster a dialogue on skepticism, evidence, and truth. I loved the fact that this book deals with the subject matter by way of introducing us to the typical struggles of a college student (Nick) with his faith. This made it EASY to read!

The book was relatively short (You can get through it in a single evening) a
Shana
This was a great dialogue. I was reading it to get a better understanding myself so I can explain to others why I believe the Bible is true. The examples given of why other historical documents are decided to be true, and the actual documents of the Bible far surpass any other historical documents. I really enjoyed this quick read.
Anthony
Nice little intro to Textual Criticism. Since I'm new to the topic (and Christianity in general) I actually got a lot out of the book although the target is definitely late teens/ early twenties. A couple of Gospel messages thrown in so can be a good book for an unbeliever who is convinced of the Zeitgeist arguments that permeate the Internet these days. I think this would be a great book for a youth group discussion since many young people are unprepared for the textual criticism arguments they ...more
James
Josh McDowell is the expert at describing life's most important spiritual truths in plain, easy to understand English. This book will not disappoint you in any way. In fact, buy several to give away, but don't forget to keep one for yourself to reread periodically. Keep it on your bookshelf right beside that other McDowell classic, "More Than a Carpenter." Buy some more of those too and give them away along with "Is the Bible True." Everyone won't thank you, but a few will be changed eternally.
Luke
I came across this book a couple of days ago and thought I would check it out. It is a short and easy read that offers simplistic explanations explaining the authority of the scriptures. The book itself is well written and can be read fairly quickly. Personally, it was not one of my favorites but beneficial insights are provided and the reader can glean nuggets of knowledge that give fundamental truths for the inerrancy of the scriptures.
Lindsay
Good intro for those searching for the answers about the validity of the Bible. It does not go extremely in depth, but the use of a fictional diolouge that happens over a few months makes what would otherwise be a dry topic (to me) easier to make it through. Information given in the book that is based on research is well documented with sources listed in the back, so it is a good place to start and get more info on what else to read.
Lyndsey520971
I think this book possibly changed my life and spiritual journey! I have so much more confidence and understanding in faith and all! i'm starting to read the other 2 books of the Coffee House Chronicles and i'm so excited! I'm already telling all my friends to read this!! And it was SOOOO cool how the facts were made into a relate able story so it was easy to want to read. EXACTLY what I've been looking for! LOVE LOVE LOVE
Sara Gwin
I laughed a lot - and this was not intended to be a humorous book. (Paraphrased example: Silly questioning student, you need scholarly sources to back up that assertion! Here, check out Lee Strobel, a non-academic sharing my viewpoint.) This isn't a book for critcal thinkers. It seems best suited for readers who want their beliefs validated without having to challenge themselves too much.
Emma R
I would save time and just read more than a carpenter. His points are good, but they are hidden among cheesy dialogue and stereotyped characters (not to say these types of people don't exist, just to say it feels like it was written in a high school creative writing class). I liked it I guess, but I'm not sure what audience it was intended for.
Leigh Ann
This is the first of three books called the Coffee House Chronicles. This is the story of several religion students at a college start questioning the questions of the faith and the discussions they have, often at the Coffee House. There are some believers and some atheists so both side of the discussion is discussed and proven or dis-proven.
Oliver
A short read, in a story format, but very thorough in documenting sources for its points. The information was useful to learn but the format is really only appealing to someone who grew up in a church then left in high school or college - not as much use for someone with a more extensive history outside the church or no church experience at all.
Jackie
Quick read. Provides the background for the historical proof of the New Testament. Bibliography refers to author's other books - too many times for my comfort level. You'd have to check out his other books to see if the bibliographies on those are the same.
Eric
A great way to treat the truth of God's word. This novella describes the research to proof that the New Testament is historical. With a fun story line this is a great young adults searching for The Lord.
Lucas Murillo
An excellent intro on the historical reliability of the Bible set in the context of a story that is very relatable. A must read for HS students and parents.
Janet Kaufman
Preferred More than a Carpenter, but had a lot of good resources to continue research.
Lisa
Short, quick read about whether the Bible can be a trusted source.
Shawn
Good little dialogue.
Beth Thompson
Beth Thompson is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Ryan Matthews
Ryan Matthews marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Gary Good
Gary Good marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Naomi
Naomi is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
Charles John
Charles John marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Alive: A Cold-Case Approach To The Resurrection
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • Holy Fire: A Balanced, Biblical Look at the Holy Spirit's Work in Our Lives
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • God Built: Forged by God ... in the Bad and Good of Life
As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, Josh’s life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of ...more
More about Josh McDowell...
More Than a Carpenter The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict: Fully Updated The DaVinci Code: A Quest for Answers Evidence That Demands a Verdict Don't Check Your Brains At The Door