Start by marking “Dead Above Ground” as Want to Read:
Dead Above Ground

Dead Above Ground

In 1940s New Orleans, a light-skinned Black family moves back and forth across the color line.
Published January 1st 2000 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Above Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Above Ground

Donna Bennett
May 06, 2008 Donna Bennett rated it really liked it
This story of murder, love, and hate will not let you put the book down. You'll find out the family secrests and why Helen has a real hate for this man her daughter wants to run away with. And all through this Lita is still working on keeping the family a strong unit. I admired Lita - she is a loving mother, caring wife, great daughter and cousin but also a no-nonsense type of girl that doesn't just sit around. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was very impressed with Jervey's writing st ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
If you ever find yourself asking "Why can't I read a fiction book about African Americans set in the early twentieth century that isn't so much about the tragedy of the African American experience, but the everyday life of an African American," you might like this one. It's set in the 1940s and the protagonist is a woman of mixed heritage. Her father is Irish and her mother was Black (or Colored as they would have said then). She seems comfortable with both, having a good relationship with her f ...more
Carla
Dec 23, 2008 Carla rated it it was amazing
I read this book back in 2003 and it has sparked many discussions. This book was well written and very dramatic. I do not want to know what goes on in the mind of this author because I tell you it has to be something.

I recommend this book to anyone who will listen.
Tony
Oct 14, 2007 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A disappointingly generic book from a writer whose earlier work exhibits a much stronger voice. For full review, see http://www.amazon.com/review/R33ABWI7...
Stephanie
I came into this never before reading a Jervey Tervalon novel, and I must say hats off to the author, because this story is pure genius.

Tervalon paints pictures with his words as we travel in time to the 1940's, in the searing and humid city of New Orleans, Louisiana. We meet the Du Champ girls, Lita, and Adele who make up 2 parts of a family filled with deep secrets and much drama.

For the spirited and young Lita, New Orleans is a place subjugated by her diligent mother, Helen who basically hold
Miel Finely
Jan 14, 2017 Miel Finely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a most read suspend and plenty of mystery
Kimberlyn
part mystery, part fictional memoir. has the feel of a short story. not exactly a stellar literary piece.
Nedra
Nedra rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Candace Patrick
Candace Patrick rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2010
Latifah Shanae
Latifah Shanae rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2007
Nikeda
Nikeda rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2009
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Yolanda
Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2011
Jessamy
Jessamy rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Kari
Kari rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Lashawn
Lashawn rated it it was ok
May 14, 2011
Cherylynn
Cherylynn rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Madeline Mcneely
Madeline Mcneely rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2007
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
stacey haines
stacey haines rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Sayoni
Sayoni rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2010
Charlie Boling
Charlie Boling rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2011
Kesha
Kesha rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2007
Tamika Christy
Tamika Christy rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Vernetta
Vernetta rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2011