Start by marking “Rosemary's Baby” as Want to Read:
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  74,712 Ratings  ·  1,843 Reviews
Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby has been reissued, and it reads even better now than it did when it first appeared. While the trappings are horror, the structure and tone of the story are those of a great middle-class crime story set in the turbulent '60s. A masterpiece.

Ed Gorman

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published March 12th 1986 by Random House Audio (first published March 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary's Baby, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lindsey Albright
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Delee

I knew from a young age that I probably didn't have the maternal instinct that is necessary to raise a child. I hated dolls- they creeped me out, and instead of dressing up the ones I was given as gifts- the dolls sat in the corner in various stages of undress- while I wheeled my cat whiskers around in a baby carriage- showing off his cute bonnets and frilly dresses. He was the best dressed kitty in the neighborhood. And if my parents were not convinced then, that I would never give them grandch
Mariel
Feb 09, 2011 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I'm afraid of karma
Recommended to Mariel by: the movies
This is why I will never have children.
Carol
ROSEMARY'S BABY is creepy as HELL!

I truly had no intention of reading this novel until I realized Ira Levin was the author. He sure could write creepy-scary too, and as with his other novels, he moves right along in the telling describing a 1966 New York City setting, young newlyweds Rosemary and Guy, and their new place of residence in the 'old' Bramford apartment building with a very dark history.

If you've only seen the scary as HELL movie, you'll find the book very similar, if not exactly the

Abbie
holy mother of fucksticles
that
was
aye-maze-ing
4.75 This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening. stars.
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary and her husband Guy are moving, looking for an apartment to have their children. When a place opens up at Bramford, they do all they can to get it, but it may have been the worst decision of their lives...

Rosemary and Guy have been married for several years, Guy is a failing actor, he just can't find any jobs. Rosemary is a housewife and only thinks about having chil
El
Oct 27, 2014 El rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am not marking this review as containing spoilers, because honestly, it's the 21st century and if you know nothing about the book or the movie, then that's just sad and shame on you (unless you don't like scary things, in which case you shouldn't even be on this page). If you don't want to know anything about the story, then please stop reading here.

Disclaimer 2: This is probably going to be a long review because I have a lot of thoughts. If you don't want to read a long review, th
Stefan Yates
Mar 13, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I would like to start of this review by posting a special NOTICE for folks who own this novel from THE STEPHEN KING HORROR LIBRARY and have not read the novel before. DO NOT read the forward by Stephen King until after you have read the novel. I love King. I love King's analysis and opinions on things. But this is the first time that I have read something written by Stephen King that made me want to punch the man in the face. I don't mean that literally of course, but it's the best way that I ca ...more
Claudia
Jun 12, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teuflisch gut!

Ein Albtraum zwischen Hoffen und Bangen, Phantasie und Realität.

Rosemary und ihr Mann Guy, ein Schauspieler, ziehen in das "Bramford-House". Ein alter Freund versucht sie zu warnen, vergeblich. Dieses Haus ist berüchtigt für viele Selbstmorde und Morde, die in vergangenen Zeiten stattfanden. Sie ist dermaßen begeistert, dass sie sämtliche Warnungen in den Wind schlägt.

Kurz darauf begeht ein junges Mädchen, mit dem sie sich angefreundet hat, Selbstmord. Sie ist erschüttert, doch di
Estelle
I really quite liked it! It wasn't scary but there was a nice tension throughout the book and a great climax.
If you like the movie, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the novel as well. Both are very similar and Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is easily one of the best horror adaptations out there.

Overall, a good way to start the #SpookyBRB month!
Becky
4.5 Stars

I admit that I'm a little torn on what to rate this book, so I split the difference, although I'm really tempted to go all StarSearch up in this piece and do 4.75 stars. (Wait, did they have a 5 star rating system? No, I think it was only 4. Crap. Well, anyway, you get the point. That is, unless you're younger than me and don't even know what StarSearch is. In that case, you're a jerk, and go away.)

Anyway, I'm torn because, having seen the movie before, I think that Roman Polanski naile
Knjigoholičarka
Sa jedne strane - sjajno napisan roman, koji postepeno gradi atmosferu paranoje i strave, i maltene do samog kraja ostavlja (nespojlovanog) čitaoca u dilemi da li je Rouzmeri u pravu, ili samo umišlja?

S druge strane - crne sveće, ponoćne mise, orgije u slavu Satane, veštičarenje, crne mašnice (da), crna kolica za bebu, crna benkica za bebu, srebrni privesci protivu uroka i toliko goth estetike od koje ćete pomisliti da se nalazite na rođendanskoj žurci Varga Vikernesa*.

Čisto sumnjam da bi Nečas
Bill
Jul 09, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is more like it.

Prior to reading this, I was a month and 800 pages into George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords, a sprawling epic with dozens of characters and several storylines.
After stumbling across severe spoilers, and still 400 pages to go, I threw in the towel. I was burnt out on the story, and was getting much more excited about my to-read pile than the book I was reading. It was time to stop.

This is what I needed: A nice & tidy, straightforward story.

Man, it has got to be over 30 y
Josh
May 08, 2007 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δημήτρης
Ένα από τα κλασικά βιβλία που εγώ δεν ήξερα την ύπαρξή του. Παρά μόνο την ύπαρξη της ομώνυμης ταινίας. Ευτυχώς δεν είχα δει την ταινία -αν και ήξερα σε μέσες άκρες τι γίνεται-, και ευτυχώς έπεσε το μάτι μου πάνω στο εν λόγω βιβλίο σε ένα βιβλιοπωλείο.

Αν και δε θα το έλεγα ακριβώς τρόμου, είναι μια ιστορία που δημιουργεί αρκετά άβολα συναισθήματα με αποκορύφωμα το επικό φινάλε. Οφείλω να ομολογήσω ότι καθόλη τη διάρκεια του βιβλίου θεωρούσα ότι πολλές σκηνές ήταν περιττές και υπήρχαν απλά για να
Addy
Oct 24, 2015 Addy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply fantastic! Great scary read for Halloween that gave me the creeps throughout. Most everyone has probably read this great classic, so I won't go into the details of what it was about. I will say it had a lot of surprises for me and kept me on the edge of my seat, so I can see why it turned into a classic horror movie as well. Just beware if you hear some strange chanting in or near your abode. Make sure you know you're neighbors, let alone you're own husband and always keep a ...more
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. Está catalogado como clásico de la literatura del terror, pero por mi parte tengo que decir que miedo no me dio. Quizás las últimas cincuenta páginas me hayan incomodado, sin embargo no pasa de eso.

description

Es una novela muy rápida y amena, con mucho diálogo. Ya al principio Ira Levin nos siembra el misterio y nos invita a creer en cosas que están más allá de nuestra percepción de la realidad.

En fin, entretenido, para pasar el rato. Se lee de una sentada.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2007 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Light reading to get you in the mood for Halloween. I didn't find it scary, though. I could stay up reading it late at night without getting the creeps or having weird dreams. It was even kind of funny, especially in the end when she looks in the bassinet and what she does afterward. Maybe it would have been scarier if I had read it back in the late 60's when it was written.

One thing that caught me off guard every time was how the author kept referring to the black elevator operator as "Negro bo
Chad Bearden
Dec 27, 2008 Chad Bearden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'd seen the film "Rosemary's Baby" many years ago, so before I cracked open the book, I already knew what it was about, and its 'shocking' ending. I remember the ending of the movie making me laugh out loud, not because it was too silly, but because it struck a perfect tone of absurdity and creepiness. As I started the novel, I was afraid know the ending would dampen my enjoyment of the read, but fortunately, Ira Levin employed such a deft touch in this work, that there is a sense of fun that k ...more
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

The horror of this book is not the devil, nor his baby-demon. The horror of this book is represented by the corrupt, deranged mortals who surround Rosemary, all of them led by Guy, her husband. He sold his wife's body for success. He drugged her, stood there and watched his wife being rapped by the devil.

description

He stood there and watched her conceive the devil's child... and getting tortured by the creature inside her for months.

description

And he stood there and watched while Rosemary was being used as a cow to
Jason
Jul 08, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On consideration of this book, you may be thinking one of two things. You may be thinking either, "I've seen the movie, it's great, so I don't need to read the book" or "It's about the child of Satan, and that's dopey, so who cares?" And fair enough. I was thinking both those things before I reluctantly picked up this novel.

But the novel works, and it works very well, and NOT as a horror novel about Satan. In fact, it works because it's not really about Satan or witchcraft at all. This is a nov
Rade
Apr 12, 2014 Rade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned
I really like this story. It is a bit dated now seeing how many movies and books came out on the subject of possessions, demons, and ghosts, but it is still a really nice classic book that most of us can enjoy. I like how in this book each chapter reveals a bit more to the whole drama and it keeps you wanting more. It does not just unload the facts and move on with character developments. Instead it makes the characters behave in a way that is constantly changing based on the information they ar ...more
Kathryn
Dec 21, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Horror
Recommended to Kathryn by: Alondra and Jesse
4.5 stars.

For a book I was afraid to read at night because it felt so dark and sinister, I could not put this book down today. I think I have a record reading speed with this one.

There is a very dark feel to this book. Once I started to read Rosemary's Baby, I began to feel like something wasn't right with the picture Levin was painting with Rosemary, Guy, Minnie, and Roman. The constant mentioning of certain things made a point to the reader, (if you're paying attention), how important those
David
Oct 03, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, so scarily NORMAL! Like, "Oh, here's your new apartment, meet your new neighbors, and by the way, we worship Satan every other Wednesday. Hope you can make it!" Love it. Also a kick-ass NYC novel.
Coos Burton
Jul 20, 2016 Coos Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasicos, terror, demonios, 666
Un clásico del horror con todas las letras. Había visto la película hace un bueeen tiempo y me quedé enamorada, así que desde que me enteré del libro lo quiero leer. Gracias al grupo de lectura "Letras macabras", tuve un empujoncito para hacerlo y lo disfruté mucho, aunque me despertó muchísima ansiedad. Diría que tengo una relación amor-odio con el libro porque por momentos me dieron ganas de tirarlo lejos de mi vista, pero luego buscarlo y continuarlo a ver qué pasa (a pesar de ya saber la his ...more
Kjell
5 stars! Man, this book was creepy! I loved every page of it. This was really an old-fashioned, classic tale of horror, as horror should be. It kept me up until late and the last 100 pages were sooo intense! I had to keep reading. At one point I had to leave the train and I just wanted to stay put and continue on reading.

I don't want to spoil much of the plot but if you're into a creepy horror story without too much gore, and a good, built up plot, this is your pick. Ira Levin has a new fan! I
Vanessa Duarte
Aug 06, 2016 Vanessa Duarte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I enjoyed this book so much!! I couldn't read this fast enough. The writing style the pacing was delivered expertly, with the right amount of creepiness that never felt over the top. I loved everything from beginning to end, including the slightly ambiguous ending. I will definately have to source some of this author's other books. I have watched most of his movie adaptations but not read his books up until now. I will have to rectify that quick smart!
David
Sep 15, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic psychological thriller made especially for 1960s Baby Boomers. In some respects it is a quaint little time capsule and in others it is a strong, compelling, frightful Morality Play.

The "quaint" part is great fun. Rosemary and Guy inhabit a world wherein mothers-to-be can drink alcohol but are cautioned against reaching for that third or fourth cocktail...until they have some food "on their stomachs"; wherein pregnant women are discouraged from smoking but may spend all nine months in a
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
I decided to read this book after seeing it mentioned in several places. And I must say it was worth it. The starting of the book,the introduction of the characters were natural. The build-up of the story created a feeling of gradual rising of horror. It was like some intense opera-style music was playing in the background. Throughout the story,one can feel the pressure. There is always an it's-not-what-it-seems feeling in each and every situation. But I must say that I didn't like the ending. M ...more
Ιφιγένεια
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο ! Δεν είναι τρομαχτικό με την κλασική έννοια του τρόμου αλλά σε τρομάζει το που μπορεί να φτάσει ένας άνθρωπος αν του υποσχεθούν ότι όλα όσα ποθεί θα γίνουν πραγματικότητα . Καλογραμμένο , με πολύ ωραία αισθητική , ευκολοδιάβαστο και με αρκετή αγωνία . Παρόλο που είχα δει παλιότερα την ταινία απόλαυσα το βιβλίο και το διάβασα με μεγάλο ενδιαφέρον .
Phishing 1 12 May 07, 2016 05:37PM
Letras Macabras: Rosemary's Baby/La Semilla del Diablo 89 109 Apr 13, 2016 09:48AM
Horror Aficionados : Rosemary's Baby and sequel 86 73 Nov 27, 2015 03:43PM
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Audrey Rose
  • The Sentinel
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Fog
  • The House Next Door
  • Damien: Omen II
  • Falling Angel
  • The Elementals
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...

Rosemary's Baby (2 books)
  • Son of Rosemary

“Anyone who needs more than one suitcase is a tourist, not a traveler” 120 likes
“Like so many unhappinesses, this one had begun with silence in the place of honest open talk.” 7 likes