Raveling: A Novel

Raveling: A Novel

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Raveling is a brilliant thriller about two brothers, their mother, and the sad fact of their little sister's unsolved disappearance twenty years earlier. One of the brothers, Pilot, has come back home to take care of his aging mother, but his own mental state has not been stable since his sister vanished. He is determined at last to find out the truth -- but for every step...more
Published September 30th 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Raveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raveling

Robert Beveridge
Peter Moore Smith, Raveling (Little, Brown, 2000)

Acclaimed short story writer Peter Moore Smith turns his talents to novel writing, and Raveling is his debut offering. It's been received with, to be kind, mixed reviews, probably because it's a genre novel-- but what genre it is is somewhat elusive.

Pilot Airie is a diagnosed schizophrenic whose mental problems started after the abduction of his little sister twenty years before. His mother Hannah, who's almost as neurotic as Pilot is, has started...more
Carmen8094
Pilot è uno schizofrenico - o, almeno, questo è quello che dicono i medici -.
Non è stato più lo stesso da quando, vent'anni prima, la sorellina Fiona scomparve misteriosamente durante un party in piscina.
Pilot continua a vedere la piccola col suo costumino rosso, continua a rivivere quella giornata, con l'assoluta certezza di sapere qualcosa che non vuole saperne di uscire fuori dalla sua testa.
Ma chi crederebbe a uno schizofrenico?
Chi preferirebbe dare adito alle sue parole, piuttosto che a que...more
Jennifer - The Book Admirer
Raveling by Peter Moore Smith is about two brothers, Eric a doctor and Pilot a schizophrenic. Eric and Pilot's sister disappeared 20 years ago and Pilot is convinced that Eric killed her and hid her body somewhere, throughout the novel Pilot is trying to convince this to his psychotherapist Katherine and anyone else who will listen. I found the story to be gripping and suspenseful, after I read the ending and found out what happened to their sister I was sickened and still thinking about it days...more
Barbara Elsborg
I think this has to be the most unusual suspense novel I've ever read. I'm so used to straight forward points of view and it takes a well to get into the very strange POV of this story, but it's well worth perservering. The tale is largely told through the POV of Pilot - who is psychologically fragile. His family have become unraveled after the disappearance of Pilot young sister. Pilot's older brother is now a neuro surgeon. Their father has left home and started a new life elswhere. Their moth...more
Erin
I don't know how to review this book. I finished it, I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. The plot was strong enough to make me want to finish it, and I was happy with the ending, but it was a bit of a weird book.

I think it could have been a bit shorter, and I really didn't enjoy how the writer would make his characters repeat themselves or interrupt themselves when speaking. I realize he probably did it to make it more realistic, but it was just annoying. "I know that, that you wante...more
Clashton
I found this book over-long and somewhat irritating.

Think of a script for one of those bad crime/mystery dramas on the Lifetime channel, and you capture a great deal of the book.

What is different is that the story is told from the point of view of a character who may or may not be omniscient, and who may or may not be schizophrenic/psychotic, but that eventually becomes tiresome.
Tyler Mcpotatolovin
My absolute favorite novel ever written. I read it my freshman year in high school. I was always intersted in people with mental problems like pilot had, and this book made me want to become a psychologist. I never like to re-read novels. Captain Underpants excluded. I can easily re-read this book many seperate times. I LOVE this book
Martha Scannell
This masterfully written novel takes you on a gripping journey of Pilot, who suffers schizophrenia since the unsolved disappearance of his sister over twenty years ago. The reader wonders at times if Pilot's thoughts are reality or imagined simply due to his psychotic breaks. It is suspenseful page-turner right up to the riveting end.
Kira
I'd give this 2 1/2 stars. It was written from an omniscient POV which was weird because it was also Pilot's POV and he wasn't in every scene. Almost everything the therapist Katherine did was unethical which bothered me. The ending wasn't all that surprising.
April
I didn't like this book at all & don't know why I felt compelled to finish it. Some relationships/storylines weren't developed enough, & the back & forth between characters bothered me. As a whole, the book seemed disjointed to me.
Annie Michelle
I don't remember too much but I did write "really, really good" next to it so...it must have been. I do remember hearing about it from a famous actress who's brother had written it? will have to check this out :)
Julie M
Don't know who or what led me to this (BookMooched) but I am giving up. Cannot sympathize with the main character and POV shifts around too much. After reading a couple of reviews here, I'm ending the misery.
Okie
I found this an interesting look into the mind of grief & insanity. I really enjoyed the first person narrative, and the gradual movement towards the truth of the situation.
C. Miles
I would truthfully give this 2.5 stars if I could because I liked it, but it was somewhat simplistic. At the end of the day, it was a decent easily read fiction.
Lauren Bergers
This book was absolutely mind-blowing. It reminded me a lot of "The Lovely Bones" in some ways.
Christina Gillespie
Good mystery and unique plot but I wish the characters were more flushed out.
Southern Flower
Great omniscient tale of a past death and the family's secret.
Ann
This is a somewhat twisted, but pretty good mystery.
Gina
Honestly, still the best fiction book I have ever read.
Debbie
Started slow but picked up and I couldn't put it down
Roy
Couldn't get past the first chapter.
Nancy Job
superb fiction !
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sanchit Bhandari
Sanchit Bhandari marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014