Start by marking “Raveling” as Want to Read:
Raveling

Raveling

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Raveling is a brilliant thriller about two brothers, their mother, and the sad fact of their little sister's unsolved disappearance twenty years earlier. One of the brothers, Pilot, has come back home to take care of his aging mother, but his own mental state has not been stable since his sister vanished. He is determined at last to find out the truth -- but for every step ...more
Published September 30th 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Raveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raveling

Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
A little draggy in parts, but I love the narration style, and I love Pilot. I wish this author had more books.
Jennifer - The Book Admirer
Raveling by Peter Moore Smith is about two brothers, Eric a doctor and Pilot a schizophrenic. Eric and Pilot's sister disappeared 20 years ago and Pilot is convinced that Eric killed her and hid her body somewhere, throughout the novel Pilot is trying to convince this to his psychotherapist Katherine and anyone else who will listen. I found the story to be gripping and suspenseful, after I read the ending and found out what happened to their sister I was sickened and still thinking about it days ...more
Robert Beveridge
Peter Moore Smith, Raveling (Little, Brown, 2000)

Acclaimed short story writer Peter Moore Smith turns his talents to novel writing, and Raveling is his debut offering. It's been received with, to be kind, mixed reviews, probably because it's a genre novel-- but what genre it is is somewhat elusive.

Pilot Airie is a diagnosed schizophrenic whose mental problems started after the abduction of his little sister twenty years before. His mother Hannah, who's almost as neurotic as Pilot is, has started
Carmen8094
Aug 21, 2014 Carmen8094 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi-e-saggi
Pilot è uno schizofrenico - o, almeno, questo è quello che dicono i medici -.
Non è stato più lo stesso da quando, vent'anni prima, la sorellina Fiona scomparve misteriosamente durante un party in piscina.
Pilot continua a vedere la piccola col suo costumino rosso, continua a rivivere quella giornata, con l'assoluta certezza di sapere qualcosa che non vuole saperne di uscire fuori dalla sua testa.
Ma chi crederebbe a uno schizofrenico?
Chi preferirebbe dare adito alle sue parole, piuttosto che a que
Barbara
Some of the reviews I read here said this book dragged which almost made me reconsider reading it but thank goodness I didn't let those reviews deter me from reading this page turner! Yes, page turner! This is one fabulous novel, in my opinion. So many delusional personalities fighting through the grief of losing a child and not finding the missing child's body leaving nagging questions unanswered.
If you like psychological suspense with shocking events that leave you wondering, then this is the
Erik M
Nov 10, 2014 Erik M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has its problems, sure, but what a fascinating story and, perhaps more importantly, a fascinating way to TELL a story. It's dark and sad and lonely, so don't read this if you've been in the dumps recently. So far as suspense novels or mysteries are concerned, this one has quite a lot going for it.

Young parents be warned: you know a little girl disappears from the start. It doesn't get any easier from there.
Barbara Elsborg
May 27, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this has to be the most unusual suspense novel I've ever read. I'm so used to straight forward points of view and it takes a well to get into the very strange POV of this story, but it's well worth perservering. The tale is largely told through the POV of Pilot - who is psychologically fragile. His family have become unraveled after the disappearance of Pilot young sister. Pilot's older brother is now a neuro surgeon. Their father has left home and started a new life elswhere. Their moth ...more
Erin
Oct 19, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I don't know how to review this book. I finished it, I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. The plot was strong enough to make me want to finish it, and I was happy with the ending, but it was a bit of a weird book.

I think it could have been a bit shorter, and I really didn't enjoy how the writer would make his characters repeat themselves or interrupt themselves when speaking. I realize he probably did it to make it more realistic, but it was just annoying. "I know that, that you wante
Clashton
Jan 11, 2014 Clashton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book over-long and somewhat irritating.

Think of a script for one of those bad crime/mystery dramas on the Lifetime channel, and you capture a great deal of the book.

What is different is that the story is told from the point of view of a character who may or may not be omniscient, and who may or may not be schizophrenic/psychotic, but that eventually becomes tiresome.
Bria
Jul 03, 2016 Bria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever read a book that makes you want to go back and lower your ratings for other books you've read in the same genre because the book you just finished was really the kind of book you were looking for all along?

I do now.

Great unreliable narrator that keeps you thrilled and confused until the very last paragraph. Also the author does a great job by keeping this a true psychological thriller and doesn't reveal every single little thing. This book takes some thinking and overall you're left wonderi
LolitaMarie
Jul 20, 2015 LolitaMarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely wonderful and twisted.
Stefania Phoenix
Apr 21, 2014 Stefania Phoenix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a mesmerising read
Ashley Riggs
Feb 02, 2016 Ashley Riggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some technical flaws such as Katheryn being someone with a masters degree in psych, there were a lot of questions she asked Lennox that she literally would have never got her license to counsel for without knowing. However, for the purpose of explaining certain terms and concepts to readers, it was kinda necessary, I guess. I enjoyed this book. Great psychological thriller!
Tyler Mcpotatolovin
My absolute favorite novel ever written. I read it my freshman year in high school. I was always intersted in people with mental problems like pilot had, and this book made me want to become a psychologist. I never like to re-read novels. Captain Underpants excluded. I can easily re-read this book many seperate times. I LOVE this book
Martha Scannell
Mar 11, 2010 Martha Scannell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This masterfully written novel takes you on a gripping journey of Pilot, who suffers schizophrenia since the unsolved disappearance of his sister over twenty years ago. The reader wonders at times if Pilot's thoughts are reality or imagined simply due to his psychotic breaks. It is suspenseful page-turner right up to the riveting end.
Kira
Jul 12, 2013 Kira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'd give this 2 1/2 stars. It was written from an omniscient POV which was weird because it was also Pilot's POV and he wasn't in every scene. Almost everything the therapist Katherine did was unethical which bothered me. The ending wasn't all that surprising.
April
May 20, 2010 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book at all & don't know why I felt compelled to finish it. Some relationships/storylines weren't developed enough, & the back & forth between characters bothered me. As a whole, the book seemed disjointed to me.
Annie
Apr 20, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I don't remember too much but I did write "really, really good" next to it so...it must have been. I do remember hearing about it from a famous actress who's brother had written it? will have to check this out :)
Okie Cavies
I found this an interesting look into the mind of grief & insanity. I really enjoyed the first person narrative, and the gradual movement towards the truth of the situation.
C. Miles
Jan 26, 2012 C. Miles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would truthfully give this 2.5 stars if I could because I liked it, but it was somewhat simplistic. At the end of the day, it was a decent easily read fiction.
Lauren Bergers
Jun 08, 2011 Lauren Bergers rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely mind-blowing. It reminded me a lot of "The Lovely Bones" in some ways.
Christina Gillespie
Good mystery and unique plot but I wish the characters were more flushed out.
Southern Flower
Mar 04, 2011 Southern Flower rated it really liked it
Great omniscient tale of a past death and the family's secret.
Ann
Aug 10, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a somewhat twisted, but pretty good mystery.
Gina
May 18, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, still the best fiction book I have ever read.
Debbie
Started slow but picked up and I couldn't put it down
Chelsea
Jun 19, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a little slow, but still a decent read.
Roy
Jun 29, 2010 Roy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get past the first chapter.
Nancy Job
superb fiction !
Kristine Muslim
Aug 27, 2012 Kristine Muslim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lush and engaging.
  • Darkness Peering
  • Hoopi Shoopi Donna
  • Dreams of Sleep
  • Under the Glass Moon, Vol. 1
  • The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1)
  • Salt
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • My Drowning
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • The Sound of Us
  • Miss Lizzie (Miss Lizzie, #1)
  • Awake